Plattym3

Gaming Goals 2020

Got anything you'd like to do this year? I've got a few & I've already started working on all 3:

1. Don't be afraid to stop playing a game. I usually stop playing games for days or a week at a time and grind down to 3 or 4 hours a week when I'm playing a game I don't fully enjoy. I need to get over my need to pause and move on. Romancing SaGa 2 did this to me for the past 2 weeks. Gonna pause it for a bit and do more enjoyable gaming.

2. ARPGs are fun too. I mean I AM looking forward to Persona 5S and Rune Factory 4 next year already, but I'm having more fun with Hyrule Warriors this week than I have had with a game in a while.

3. Replay games. I'm a HUGE proponent of never revisiting movies/TV shows/video games. DQ is my only real exception & even DQXI S couldn't hold my attention past 20ish hours. BUT, Grandia was an enjoyable experience last year and starting Grandia 2 this week has been fun. Also... Rune Factory 4. Maybe I need to employ my Pokémon-catching strategy to playing games. I never try to collect them all, just my favorites. Maybe I need to replay favoties & not just plow through every game ever.

Same as every year I suppose. Just work on my backlog more then buying games. I actually made some pretty decent strides this year with my backlog. I managed to knock it down by about 40% this year.

The big stride I want to work for is to get better at fighting games. I have been trying to set aside about an hour a day for practicing and reading up strategies. It is pretty surprising how much better you can get done in an hour if you just work at it. I have also been dabbing a bit on the Tetris and Puyo Puyo competitive scene a bit and been reading up on it as well. So I would like to get into that as well.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Like 1

I was actually thinking about this the other day!

I’d like to narrow my focus on specific systems. I don’t want to bounce from Switch to Vita to 3DS to PS4 and so on. I would like to just stop and play a lot of games on one system.

I’m also getting rid of junk I don’t ever intend on playing. Just added Mario Party Island Tour and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy to a pile of games I’m gonna sell.

I’m also not letting myself be intimidated by big games. I’ll go to play something, realize it’s 20+ hours long, and then not touch it because I could play shorter games and shrink my backlog faster that way. Those games aren’t going away if I really want to play them, I should just play them.

2019 was a great year in gaming for me. I finished more games then I have in the past and I even completed a few (Pokémon Diamond being the notable one). Looking forward to 2020.

• Like 1

Same thing I do every year: play whatever interests me and go from there. Trying to set goals for myself with a game(s) can backfire sometimes.

I do, however, have some actual goals in mind:

1. Get back to some RPGs I didn’t finish. I still need to finish Etrian Odyssey Nexus and Dragon Quest XI S, as well as Zelda Breath of the Wild. I’m not as in a hurry to finish BotW since I’ve enjoyed just taking my time, but I can’t stand having not finished Nexus or DQ11S yet. Both are from my favorite RPG series, so finishing them should have been a no brainer. Nexus just released at the wrong time since I was so focused on job hunting at that point of the year, so it went on the back burner fairly quickly.

2. I want to start a podcast. I liked doing the Slime Time podcast way more than I thought I would, and honestly I’ve kind of wanted to do more ever since. It would probably just be about whatever games or series that have been on my mind lately, have a guest or two on to talk about our experiences with it. One week might be about a fighting game series, a future episode about Dragon Quest, and so on.

• Like 1

2. I want to start a podcast. I liked doing the Slime Time podcast way more than I thought I would, and honestly I’ve kind of wanted to do more ever since. It would probably just be about whatever games or series that have been on my mind lately, have a guest or two on to talk about our experiences with it. One week might be about a fighting game series, a future episode about Dragon Quest, and so on.

16 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I still need to finish Etrian Odyssey Nexus

I feel guilty that I have 4 different EO games on my backlog. Ugh. I feel like I committed a crime saying that.

6 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I feel guilty that I have 4 different EO games on my backlog. Ugh. I feel like I committed a crime saying that.

Nah. Dungeon crawlers can be intimidating beasts to tackle, so play them when you can/want to.

Whenever you decide to start one and if you want some tips, I’m happy to help you workshop teams. I’m not the EOxpert of the Den for nothing. 😉

• Like 1

One of my gaming goals is in line with a real life goal of shedding some of my belly fat, so I want to put more time into my workout games:  Fitness Boxing and Ring Fit Adventure.  I have a generous space in the bedroom for doing these things, thankfully.

Another goal I have in 2020 is to clean a few specific games off my backlog.  DQ11S is top priority now.  In summer, I plan to resume Atelier Ryza and the other Atelier games I've downloaded.  I'm waiting til the warmer weather hits, for proper theming.  In the meantime, I'd also like to give Caligula Effect Overdose another chance to wow me.  

I kind of like the setting and premise, hokey though the game may be.  Also, I like the fact that the battle system shows you projected outcomes before you finalize each more.  It does drag the fights out a little, but it adds a layer of planning that gives me the "mastermind" feeling I love in RPGs. I love games where I can concoct an optimal strategy for myself and see it implemented.  Disgaea, Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey, Bravely, and Octopath Traveler all give me this feeling.  Caligula Effect feels like it wants to do the same, I just need to invest more time past the first chapter. 

I also like how every NPC in Caligula Effect is classified as having a neurosis of one kind or another.   It's like I have a relatively cheap substitute for a Psych 101 class in my Switch download library.

To summarize, I need to work out more often, quest for dragons, perform amateur psychology on Japanese teenagers, and clean out my barrel-ful of Atelier games.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Same as every year I suppose. Just work on my backlog more then buying games.

Ditto!

23 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I actually made some pretty decent strides this year with my backlog.

Not ditto.

Definitely not ditto.

• Like 1

Same as every year I suppose. Just work on my backlog more then buying games.

I'm all over that. As much as I'm looking forward to P5S, BD2, and RF4, I'm only buying RF4 at launch. I'll get the others used for at most $30 or $40.
  • Like 1

What a great thread!!!! Here we go:

1. Play Video Games More. I think this year I really tuned-in how to fit gaming into a busy life. Now that I have the tools in my tool-belt, I want to put them to use and get some more gaming done. 

2. Enjoy gaming more. With trying to finish games and get onto the next, I feel like I often look at gaming as more of a chore than anything. This was made even more true by my "Finish one game before starting the next" policy I imposed upon myself. I would see a game and want to get it, but restrict myself because I was already playing something, which then led to me rushing through my current game with minimal enjoyment, only to move onto the next game and continue the cycle. NO MORE. I want to bring pleasure back to gaming. Play more games, take my time, and enjoy them. 

3. Find out ways to fit gaming into a growing family. I was actually thinking about asking for some advice from other Den members about this. I have a baby boy on the way and I am overjoyed. But I want to learn to fit gaming, which I consider to be an important hobby, into my life as my family grows, instead of trying to squeeze it in after. (Any advice on this one would be appreciated).

• Like 1

3. Find out ways to fit gaming into a growing family. I was actually thinking about asking for some advice from other Den members about this. I have a baby boy on the way and I am overjoyed. But I want to learn to fit gaming, which I consider to be an important hobby, into my life as my family grows, instead of trying to squeeze it in after. (Any advice on this one would be appreciated).

Did that by getting a Switch. Started with Mario Kart, Mario Party, & Super Smash Bros. My 3 year old, 6 year old and wife will play all of them and we can do 4-player on all.

Just got my oldest into Hyrule Warriors as he enjoyed playing Dragon Quest Heroes games when he was 3 & 4, but back then I'd get up to high levels and then let him play since it's not multi-player.

When my oldest was younger I'd also let him play Dragon Quest Monsters Super Lite on my phone or put on DQ7 & DQ8 on my phone, set everyone to auto AI and let him roam around low level areas just getting into battles and pressing A.

21 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Did that by getting a Switch. Started with Mario Kart, Mario Party, & Super Smash Bros. My 3 year old, 6 year old and wife will play all of them and we can do 4-player on all.

Just got my oldest into Hyrule Warriors as he enjoyed playing Dragon Quest Heroes games when he was 3 & 4, but back then I'd get up to high levels and then let him play since it's not multi-player.

When my oldest was younger I'd also let him play Dragon Quest Monsters Super Lite on my phone or put on DQ7 & DQ8 on my phone, set everyone to auto AI and let him roam around low level areas just getting into battles and pressing A.

Getting a Switch helped my gaming life in general! Wayyyy easier than anything else to pick up and play when a time-window presents itself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

What a great thread!!!! Here we go:

1. Play Video Games More. I think this year I really tuned-in how to fit gaming into a busy life. Now that I have the tools in my tool-belt, I want to put them to use and get some more gaming done. 

2. Enjoy gaming more. With trying to finish games and get onto the next, I feel like I often look at gaming as more of a chore than anything. This was made even more true by my "Finish one game before starting the next" policy I imposed upon myself. I would see a game and want to get it, but restrict myself because I was already playing something, which then led to me rushing through my current game with minimal enjoyment, only to move onto the next game and continue the cycle. NO MORE. I want to bring pleasure back to gaming. Play more games, take my time, and enjoy them. 

This is probably advice you’ve already heard but get into watching long form YouTube videos or listening to podcasts. Unless it’s a story intensive game, you can stimulate your brain by listening to that while playing games. I pretty much played all of Pokémon Pinball for the GBA watching episodes of The League. This is a good way to keep you engaged with what you’re playing, believe it or not.

This is probably advice you’ve already heard but get into watching long form YouTube videos or listening to podcasts. Unless it’s a story intensive game, you can stimulate your brain by listening to that while playing games. I pretty much played all of Pokémon Pinball for the GBA watching episodes of The League. This is a good way to keep you engaged with what you’re playing, believe it or not.
100% agree with this. Can't wait for my Grandia 2 & Lost in Space contest.

Summer was 70 hours of DQB2 and Arrowverse shows.

And of course podcasts rule. I mean, I could suggest a DQ-themed one...

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

It really depends on your significant other and how much they care whether you get time to have a hobby or not. It works out better if it's a hobby that you both enjoy. *sigh* My situation is not good on this one, so I am sorry I am unable to give you a more useful response. I literally sneak gaming time in instead of sleeping and the whole thing is horrible. Better luck to you.

2 hours ago, eal said:

This is how I play most multiplayer games. Including MMOs. Helps me stay focused.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

This is how I play most multiplayer games. Including MMOs. Helps me stay focused.

I’ll put on a TRG Let’s Play or something from one of them individually if it’s a multiplayer game or if I’m grinding for something in a game, but otherwise I usually keep to the game’s audio.

I tried doing that for Darkest Dungeon since I started the Switch version, but man, it’s too distracting. You need to pay attention to what goes on in that game, not to mention listening for the audio from the Ancestor, aka the narrator, as you explore dungeons or face monsters.

Plus he has a badass baritone quality voice, so why would you not want to listen to the Ancestor?

• Like 1

I generally agree with the podcast listening bit, but be careful not to make it too complicated. I made the mistake of listening to audiobooks of Sherlock Holmes while I was playing DQH2 earlier in the year, and while I remember some of the stories (A Scandal in Bohemia in particular), others just kind of whizzed by.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, eal said:

Actually, this is the first time I've heard this. I LOVE listening to music while I game, but I feel like trying to watch a show while I game just distracts me and I end up not paying attention to the game. The podcast thing is a new idea, so maybe I'll try that. 

I guess I've just always wanted to give the game 100 percent of my focus. I love the act of gaming, I like to make myself a cup of coffee, get comfy, and dive fully into the game, making a whole experience out of it. I think this is why I've always been drawn toward RPGs. I've been getting better and better at this, but the goal for 2020 is certainly to do it more and to get even more into the experience. Maybe I'll find some good gaming youtube stuff or podcasts to make the experience even more immersive. 

14 hours ago, GrandAlchemist said:

It really depends on your significant other and how much they care whether you get time to have a hobby or not. It works out better if it's a hobby that you both enjoy. *sigh* My situation is not good on this one, so I am sorry I am unable to give you a more useful response. I literally sneak gaming time in instead of sleeping and the whole thing is horrible. Better luck to you.

Hmmm. She is definitely not a gamer. She doesn't tend to mind my gaming at all, but she certainly doesn't quite understand it's value as a hobby to me. 

The Switch has helped, since she can be watching TV, goofing around on her phone, or reading, and I can be gaming next to her and we can still enjoy each others presence while enjoying our own things. I'd say the scheduling conflict comes from her always wanting to go out and do things with our free time (shopping, hanging out with family, seeing friends) while I'd prefer to spend it at home gaming. I was thinking maybe the kid would help with this since we will have more of a reason to be home. I'm not blind to the fact that our son will draw most of our free time and attention, but hopefully it'll settle us into the house a bit....I guess we will see. 

2 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Actually, this is the first time I've heard this. I LOVE listening to music while I game, but I feel like trying to watch a show while I game just distracts me and I end up not paying attention to the game. The podcast thing is a new idea, so maybe I'll try that. 

I guess I've just always wanted to give the game 100 percent of my focus. I love the act of gaming, I like to make myself a cup of coffee, get comfy, and dive fully into the game, making a whole experience out of it. I think this is why I've always been drawn toward RPGs. I've been getting better and better at this, but the goal for 2020 is certainly to do it more and to get even more into the experience. Maybe I'll find some good gaming youtube stuff or podcasts to make the experience even more immersive. 

Having something else like a podcast on is good for times when you don’t need to be fully invested, like when you level grind. I listened to a lot of That Anime Show while clearing the map of side content in Sleeping Dogs, for example.

Getting the ball rolling on my resolution by play a ton of A Plague Tale: Innocence. It’s basically a janky Last of Us, except with swarms of rats instead of Clickers and almost zero physical combat from as far as I’ve gotten. 90% of your interactions with human enemies is stealth. You have some tools at your disposal that let you fight back but your limited crafting resources and a few other factors makes you want to avoid it at all costs.

In spite of its technical flaws, it’s a well crafted narrative and I always get a bit of a thrill whenever I’m running from huge swarms of rats. It’s a very brutal world. In one early part, I had to guide a pig into a barn and manipulate rats to attack it so that I could cross the room safely. Your little brother you travel with wasn’t happy. And that’s just stuff I have to do to progress. The environment is pretty horrifying as well, especially one section where an open field was littered with corpses.

• Like 1

Same goals I have every year. Play to numb the pain of my existance and trybto recapture my youth.

Starve a fever, sleep a concussion.

1 hour ago, NecroBanana said:

Same goals I have every year. Play to numb the pain of my existance and trybto recapture my youth.

Starve a fever, sleep a concussion.

Well that is morbid

• Like 1

An interesting little goal of mine seems like it may be met now. I was toying with going a full year without buying a new video game for myself. I think with me getting the Rune Factory 4 review code, that reality may happen. Sure looking forward to Bravely Default 2 & Persona 5 Scramble, but those are things I can definitely wait to get 50% off a year down the road.