NecroBanana

DQ8 PS2 vs 3DS

Hello all! Back from the grave for another thread that I'm sure has been discussed millions of time.

Recently, I've been getting A LOT into PS2 gaming. So much so, I've aleready expanded my games collection by a bunch! Even bought a retrotink to hook it up and get a better picture quality on my modern display.

With that being said, I also bought the PS2 version of DQ8. I already have it for 3DS, but I wanted to test its original home. And I'm gonna be honest with you, there's something special and different about the PS2 version. Sure you could argue all day that the 3DS version has more QOL, takes less time to complete (fast forward and the fact that you can see enemies now). Yet something about holding a controller, especially a Dualshock 2, and playing this game feels really special to me. I'm not sure what it is myself, but it feels right.

Does anyone else feel the same about the PS2 version of this game or is it just me? The same thing I felt about playing DQ7 for PS1, although I admit the 3DS version does a wonderful job of being a lot more newbie friendly than the PS1 version.

What are your thoughts on this? Discuss below!!! Pictured is my setup, you can see the retrotink to the right.e525562981c3f123f12a395b70f839b6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dragon Quest VIII is weird because you could make a case for why one version or the other is better and they’d both be pretty valid. PS2 looks better and has orchestral music. Also has the better Jessica. But 3DS has more story and an extra ending. Plus, being portable is a big deal for people, myself included. I honestly don’t know which I prefer.

• Like 3

Dragon Quest VIII is weird because you could make a case for why one version or the other is better and they’d both be pretty valid. PS2 looks better and has orchestral music. Also has the better Jessica. But 3DS has more story and an extra ending. Plus, being portable is a big deal for people, myself included. I honestly don’t know which I prefer.
This.

It's hard to argue either way. I sold my PS2 and am done with that console, so there's that. Also I'm 95% of the time a handheld gamer these days, so 3DS will be where I play it if I ever do again. But I spent 200ish hours with it on a couple playthroughs on PS2, so no problem with that one either.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I love and enjoy both versions of the game. Each has their strengths and I got equal enjoyment from both on my playthroughs.

• Like 2

I probably would have loved the PS2 version if I could read Japanese. But it takes waaaaay too long to use the menus in the international PS2 version because it has to read a bunch more content from the disc. I'll never get over it.

The 3DS version is better in every way except that you can't play it on a TV. Here's hoping they port it to Switch with a greater draw distance and uncensored Jessica. (And maybe some higher resolution textures/higher poly count models. Some are improved in the 3DS version while others are downgraded. They should use the best from each version.)

I probably would have loved the PS2 version if I could read Japanese. But it takes waaaaay too long to use the menus in the international PS2 version because it has to read a bunch more content from the disc. I'll never get over it.

The 3DS version is better in every way except that you can't play it on a TV. Here's hoping they port it to Switch with a greater draw distance and uncensored Jessica. (And maybe some higher resolution textures/higher poly count models. Some are improved in the 3DS version while others are downgraded. They should use the best from each version.)
I personally don't have any load problems from the PS2 version. Yes, there's a weird delay when talking with party members, but it's really short. The only thing that annoys me and I'm sure there's a way to do it right, is transferring items from the bag, to the party members. But other than that I love it.

Starve a fever, sleep a concussion.

It's a very brief fade to black, then the menu. But I'm used to the menu being instantaneous. It may not seem like much, but in an RPG where you use the menus a lot, that adds up.

It also feels like there's just too much going on in the redesigned menu. In most DQ games I don't even read the menu most of the time - I navigate with muscle memory. This game completely borked that. Even while reading it, since everything is spaced out so far, it takes a while to find what I'm looking for.

Another gripe I've got is that the graphical menus look awful stretched to widescreen. When it's just text that's easy to ignore (just looks like a wider font), but I notice the stretch in every single illustration. The Japanese version didn't even have anamorphic widescreen for the 3D renderer though, so it's beside the point.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

That's true, Erdrick. I'll give you that it's strange they went that route. One way you could correct that is if someone made a patch for the Japanese version and then you could play that. If I had knowledge on how to do that, I'd definitely try it.

I'm in agreement with pretty much everyone on here. 

PS2 version was just AMAZING upon release. I have memories of late nights with it that give me goosebumps just because the memories are so awesome and I have so much good associated with it. I have 2 copies of the PS2 version, and I did a playthrough as recently as 2017 (I think). I get what you're saying about the Dualshock too. Just feels right. 

All of that being said though, I had an absolute blast with the 3DS version as well. I was super excited to have a portable version and I was not disappointed. 

I don't have a favorite. They both did EXACTLY what I wanted them to do. 

• Like 1

That's true, Erdrick. I'll give you that it's strange they went that route. One way you could correct that is if someone made a patch for the Japanese version and then you could play that. If I had knowledge on how to do that, I'd definitely try it.

Starve a signature or sleep a conversation.

Someone did. They ported it to mobile.

Someone did. They ported it to mobile.
But friend...the controlller

Not the same.

• Like 1

But friend...the controlller

Not the same.

Definitely not ideal, but it fixes the issue he has! Haha, I don't know anyone else that rolled credits on that game besides me. Maybe King Zenith?

A Switch version that marries the best of both worlds would be glorious.

• Like 2

Maybe I would finally get around to playing it then.

I think it would be ideal, but my Switch is collectint dust and I even have DQ3 on there.

On 12/26/2019 at 7:56 AM, NecroBanana said:

One way you could correct that is if someone made a patch for the Japanese version and then you could play that.

I tried. But everything is stored in archives for both versions and I don't know how to open them. There's no point anymore though, as the 3DS version is vastly superior.

On 12/27/2019 at 10:03 AM, NecroBanana said:

I think it would be ideal, but my Switch is collectint dust and I even have DQ3 on there.

It is an inferior version.

1) Uglier sprite work.  Looks like mobile art, which I do not get the praise these days.  Perhaps people have just grown accustomed to mobile 2D plastic artwork.

2) No Pachisi tracks.  DQ3 GBC and SFC had simpler tracks than did 5, but it's one of my favourite mini-games.  Tragic loss, especially given the special shops and rare finds on the last two boards.

3) No animation.  I get the original mobile version, as that was purely based on hardware limitations, especially RAM, but my God...given the GBC had really good animation (even for a SNES RPG, it would classify as silver standard), and ALL of the later remakes and releases followed that track, you'd think given modern phones, they would have put them back into the enhanced mobile port, and from there, place them back into the new artwork for the 3DS/PS4/Switch releases?  Nope.  DQ1 would have been even better received with them.  Tragic DQ11's 2D mode lacks for animations as well.  It's my one gripe, and the only thing holding it back. 

• Like 1

It is an inferior version.
1) Uglier sprite work.  Looks like mobile art, which I do not get the praise these days.  Perhaps people have just grown accustomed to mobile 2D plastic artwork.
2) No Pachisi tracks.  DQ3 GBC and SFC had simpler tracks than did 5, but it's one of my favourite mini-games.  Tragic loss, especially given the special shops and rare finds on the last two boards.
3) No animation.  I get the original mobile version, as that was purely based on hardware limitations, especially RAM, but my God...given the GBC had really good animation (even for a SNES RPG, it would classify as silver standard), and ALL of the later remakes and releases followed that track, you'd think given modern phones, they would have put them back into the enhanced mobile port, and from there, place them back into the new artwork for the 3DS/PS4/Switch releases?  Nope.  DQ1 would have been even better received with them.  Tragic DQ11's 2D mode lacks for animations as well.  It's my one gripe, and the only thing holding it back. 
I missed you, Ignasia. Love you, my guy.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 8:34 AM, eal said:

Yes. 

I would buy it upon release and push aside other games to play it. 

Honestly, I'd do the same with a Switch Version of VII, and that's a damn time-sink. 

The only one which didn't make me do such things was the mobile version. I like my buttons. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I want them to port VII to switch, but restore the cut PS1 content. The Shrine of Mysteries puzzles, as well as the original immigrant town, to be precise.

Keeping the guardian fairie at the entrance of the Shrine of Mysteries would be cool, but not as a replacement for the actual dungeon itself. Basically, he should be a shortcut that shows up when you finish Rexwood Ballymalloy.

For the most part, the localization is good, but they should fix how foreign interjections are handled. Either remove the foreign words, or remove the english words that are redundant. I don't need to read "I'm sorry!" after every single instance of "Lo siento!". It makes sense in some cases but it's just not natural to do it every time. Still better than DQ9 and it's puns, though.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I want them to port VII to switch, but restore the cut PS1 content. The Shrine of Mysteries puzzles, as well as the original immigrant town, to be precise.

Keeping the guardian fairie at the entrance of the Shrine of Mysteries would be cool, but not as a replacement for the actual dungeon itself. Basically, he should be a shortcut that shows up when you finish Rexwood Ballymalloy.
For the most part, the localization is good, but they should fix how foreign interjections are handled. Either remove the foreign words, or remove the english words that are redundant. I don't need to read "I'm sorry!" after every single instance of "Lo siento!". It makes sense in some cases but it's just not natural to do it every time. Still better than DQ9 and it's puns, though.
That would be a lot of work that they aren't likely to do.

I agree that the original tone of the PS1 opening dungeon was much more mysterious and immersive than the 3DS remake, but...I think we're gonna have to accept it's gone. They are not likely to revisit VII ever or at least for a very long time.
  • Like 1

They could probably get away with reusing the PS1 maps for the Shrine of Mysteries and just retexturing them. I'm pretty sure they did this for some of the 3DS dungeons anyway.

The Haven would have to be reworked either way since Streetpass isn't a thing on Switch. I've never Streetpassed anybody with the game, so I don't know what all exactly had changed besides the method of obtaining immigrants, but if any town forms are missing they could touch up the PS1 models here too. The towns might need a little bit more work than the Shrine of Mysteries because there would realistically be more detail (also I imagine there might be a scaling issue with doors since player models changed scale).

I forgot to mention the opening movie. The music for it is already there (in the 3DS version, but unused) and they could just pan the camera around in-engine, placing the opening credits over with the same draw calls as the title screen.

If they were to port the game to switch and ask us to pay for it again, this seems like minimal work to entice people to purchase it again so soon. They did more for XI S, which wasn't even supposed to be a re-release anyway (the Switch version was *supposed* to launch with PS4, but Unreal on Switch wasn't ready yet).

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 2:49 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

If they were to port the game to switch and ask us to pay for it again, this seems like minimal work to entice people to purchase it again so soon. They did more for XI S, which wasn't even supposed to be a re-release anyway (the Switch version was *supposed* to launch with PS4, but Unreal on Switch wasn't ready yet).

Yeah but we only have to pay for it again if we want to. 

....Which I normally want to do....

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Yeah but we only have to pay for it again if we want to. 

....Which I normally want to do....

Here. You can give your money to the Square Enix piggy bank right here.

D556DCEE-719B-4521-9F80-93C19E36E5EC.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Here. You can give your money to the Square Enix piggy bank right here.

D556DCEE-719B-4521-9F80-93C19E36E5EC.jpeg

Haha!

My money always finds it's way to Squeenix's pockets one way or another.