"Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai new game project and anime announced"

23 minutes ago, eal said:

It looks like they’ll be working on a Digimon and PreCure show, and maybe Butt Detective (lol), alongside Adventure of Dai, but so long as they plan out the production effectively it will likely turn out fine. However, the fact that the production of Digimon Adventure and the current season of PreCure was delayed due to COVID-19 shows this might not be the case. It’s common for a lot of anime to be in production right up until hours before an episode airs.

I was hoping they've been working on it in advance they announced it in December and it's not due to air until October so they've must have been working on it for at least 10 months. But year, Covid has mostly likely caused some disruptions.

Interesting to see they seem to be rebooting it from the start, I don't know for certain but the original one didn't get a proper ending did it?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://gematsu.com/2019/12/dragon-quest-the-adventure-of-dai-new-game-project-and-anime-announced

The only distributor I’m worried will get it is Aniplex USA. Don’t wanna pay $80 for 12 episodes. Funimation is preferred. There’s a good chance it’ll get a solid dub within a few weeks of coming airi

To be fair, there is no prior context that could have made you get that “strash” was “strong slash” unless that was what they referred to it as in the Dai manga, and you’d have to be a part of the top

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Chris said:

I was hoping they've been working on it in advance they announced it in December and it's not due to air until October so they've must have been working on it for at least 10 months. But year, Covid has mostly likely caused some disruptions.

Interesting to see they seem to be rebooting it from the start, I don't know for certain but the original one didn't get a proper ending did it?

From what I’ve read, anime production can be bizarre, and announcements of a show are another one of those weird things. Just to give an example, the second season of One-Punch Man was announced to have a new studio and director back in September 2017. It aired in April 2019 and fans seem to agree that the animation quality was nowhere near the first season’s. So the fact that something has been announced doesn’t necessarily mean it’s being straight up animated or worked on at that moment in the same way a video game that’s been announced is likely deep into development by then. It seems to vary studio to studio.

Some shows were delayed this season but a lot of shows weren’t because they had finished production before COVID-19 effected work in Japan. For all I know, though, they really could have done a lot of work on it by now, especially since it hasn’t been delayed yet. In my experience, it’s generally the shows that were announced only half a year ago that end up being a mess (I’m thinking the third season of Seven Deadly Sins and Tokyo Ghoul :re).

As for the Digimon question, my understanding is that it’s a reboot. I don’t know why they decided on that so quickly after releasing a bunch of sequel movies but okay. I’m pretty sure Digimon Adventure must have gotten an ending because it had a sequel series.

Edited by eal
Posted (edited)

New to the forum, hi :)

I was pretty dissapointed by the reveal of the console Dai game. I suspected it would be a simple hack and slash game ever since it was announced, it just made sense but I thought it'd be okay. It doesn't look like Koichi Sugiyama is composing for this game, so that's a huge minus; the combat looked okay but kind of arcadeish? Not sure why this game is being made - maybe Yuji Horii just wanted to make something similar to FF VII Remake style of fighting? I feel like Dragon Quest should always stay within the area of turn-based fights because more and more Japanese developers are moving towards non turn based fights and it's a little sad.

The release date seems too far off, as well. 2021 and that's Japan? Might even be the end of the year... I wish they'd just concentrate on a new main Dragon Quest entry or that rumored IX remake, or localize X at last... they were planning on making an offline version, too but eh.. Even a simple port of IV-IX to Switch/PS4 would be better... Dissapointed :(

Edited by ShonenKokoro
Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Chris said:

The original Dai no Daibouken anime stopped at approximately chapter 87 of the manga. There were 349 chapters of the manga. There was so much story to go that I'm not terribly surprised that they just started over again. The change in picture quality and animation techniques have significantly changed over the years as well... there would have been a pretty significant difference if they just picked up where they left off.

3 hours ago, ShonenKokoro said:

I feel like Dragon Quest should always stay within the area of turn-based fights because more and more Japanese developers are moving towards non turn based fights and it's a little sad.

Have you played the Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 games? They're quite enjoyable hack-and-slash games.

Edited by GrandAlchemist
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GrandAlchemist said:

The original Dai no Daibouken anime stopped at approximately chapter 87 of the manga. There were 349 chapters of the manga. There was so much story to go that I'm not terribly surprised that they just started over again. The change in picture quality and animation techniques have significantly changed over the years as well... there would have been a pretty significant difference if they just picked up where they left off.

Have you played the Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 games? They're quite enjoyable hack-and-slash games.

Yeah, I like both Heroes. The story was surprisingly good (compared to other Musou/Warriors games) and I think it could be because of Yuji Horii's involvement? Usually Musou games have bad stories but DQ Heroes was great. Hopefully I'm wrong about this Dai game..

Edited by ShonenKokoro
2 hours ago, ShonenKokoro said:

Hopefully I'm wrong about this Dai game..

If it follows the story of the manga, then the story is going to be fantastic frankly. The Adventure of Daï has one of the most compelling and well-written story and characters I've seen in any manga. 

As for the action-RPG part, to be fair, as much as I love the turn based aspect of the franchise, the Heroes games as well as the Builders ones, clearly made me realize that this is how most spin-off (at the very least those where you play swordsmen and not monsters) should play. 

Toriyama characters never look better than when jumping around and kicking/slashing monsters by the dozens imo. I assume the numbered games will not change their formula, not before a looong time (and that's okay frankly), but it's good to see that they're not afraid to change the formula for spin-off games, especially when it gives more dynamism to the combats, while keeping the RPG side. 

9 hours ago, Xiggy said:

If it follows the story of the manga, then the story is going to be fantastic frankly. The Adventure of Daï has one of the most compelling and well-written story and characters I've seen in any manga. 

As for the action-RPG part, to be fair, as much as I love the turn based aspect of the franchise, the Heroes games as well as the Builders ones, clearly made me realize that this is how most spin-off (at the very least those where you play swordsmen and not monsters) should play. 

Toriyama characters never look better than when jumping around and kicking/slashing monsters by the dozens imo. I assume the numbered games will not change their formula, not before a looong time (and that's okay frankly), but it's good to see that they're not afraid to change the formula for spin-off games, especially when it gives more dynamism to the combats, while keeping the RPG side. 

I wish they'd just join this game with the new DQ Monsters and make one bigger title instead of what appears to be a hack and slash with low budget and instead of leaving DQ Monsters in development pit. And action side? There's always Heroes sub-series, I'm sure the third one is already in the makings for PS5. Or they could make the next DQ Heroes like a "what-if" kind of thing where it follows the events of the anime but something happens and Dai gets joined by the characters from other DQ games. Or even make two story-lines: one that'd be short and "what-if" with previous DQ characters and one focused on the Dai manga. There's a lot of things they could have done. I wonder how much of a cultural impact the mobile phone game and the arcade Dai game they announced will have... Japanese seem to like mobile games so it'll probably help the franchise, same as arcades.

Yeah, I agree. Heroes and Builders are very fun and important. Builders, in particular, got a lot of new audience for the series and I'm still hoping for another Builders on PS5. Though, they'd probably want to wait until Nintendo makes a new console because Builders 2 was 30 fps and had huge frame drops. Maybe that's why we're not getting Heroes 3 as of now: they know they need the game on Switch but I heard Heroes 1-2 did not have good technical performance on Switch.

Anyway, I think the ideal way would have been to merge Dai and new Monsters, maybe even do these light action sequences to spice up the turn-based combat, experiment.

Yeah, I hope the turn-based combat is not going to go away from DQ numbered entries. Final Fantasy was loosing its identity with XV's combat, ever since Tabata was at the helm but XIII Trilogy and VII Remake were fantastic, so hopefully XVI will find a way to inspire JRPG to be more traditional.  And I think VII Remake already did that, too - it blends turn-based with action in a great way, very-very similar to XIII which also made me happy. 

I guess I'm just a little dissapointed. Dragon Quest XI came out 3 years ago and I was expecting a little more.

Posted (edited)

That it would be an action rpg was expected, but it would be really cool, given how much the series owns the the first games of the franchise, if they made an turn based DQIII-esque game adapting the whole manga with old school graphics and all.

I doubt an action game will get the Vearn without skiping some stuff.

Edited by Billy MK
  • 2 weeks later...

lol didn’t see this coming. I Hate Everything does a podcast with his friends and at about the point you see “Strash” on the screen he starts talking about seeing the title for the new Adventure of Dai game and they spend like 5 minutes trying to figure out what “Strash” is and dunking on Square Enix game names. The title and thumbnail are also related to the game.

lol didn’t see this coming. I Hate Everything does a podcast with his friends and at about the point you see “Strash” on the screen he starts talking about seeing the title for the new Adventure of Dai game and they spend like 5 minutes trying to figure out what “Strash” is and dunking on Square Enix game names. The title and thumbnail are also related to the game.

Did they figure out it means strong slash?
3 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
16 minutes ago, eal said:

Did they figure out it means strong slash?

They looked at Urban Dictionary, which says that Strash is “the most awesome diggity dank nuggs from Humboldt. It is also anything awesome and super sic.” IHE says they’ll probably get a really long comment about how Strash is really important.

They looked at Urban Dictionary, which says that Strash is “the most awesome diggity dank nuggs from Humboldt. It is also anything awesome and super sic.” IHE says they’ll probably get a really long comment about how Strash is really important.
What's funny is there are a couple long comments from "big DQ fans" that literally have no clue. I replied to them and in general explaining it. Hell, if not for pouring through it all recently, I'd not know. FYI, up to almost 40% of the 347 chapters read! I passed the 1/3 mark yesterday.
11 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
11 hours ago, eal said:

What's funny is there are a couple long comments from "big DQ fans" that literally have no clue. I replied to them and in general explaining it. Hell, if not for pouring through it all recently, I'd not know. FYI, up to almost 40% of the 347 chapters read! I passed the 1/3 mark yesterday.

To be fair, there is no prior context that could have made you get that “strash” was “strong slash” unless that was what they referred to it as in the Dai manga, and you’d have to be a part of the top like 5% of Dragon Quest fandom to be so thirsty for new content that you’d seek out a manga from the 1990s that never got an official release in English.

Speaking of manga, the real question is whether you ever finished Prison School.

• Like 2
To be fair, there is no prior context that could have made you get that “strash” was “strong slash” unless that was what they referred to it as in the Dai manga, and you’d have to be a part of the top like 5% of Dragon Quest fandom to be so thirsty for new content that you’d seek out a manga from the 1990s that never got an official release in English.
Speaking of manga, the real question is whether you ever finished Prison School.
That was my 10 days in NYC dalliance. My wife and I stayed in my aunt's tiny apartment. Like always I'd wake up at 6:30 and my wife would sleep until 9am. I had not much else to do but read Prison School back then. Honestly, I don't know where I left off or how far I got. It was 5 years ago this week and I didn't even catch up then to what there was.
11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
26 minutes ago, eal said:

That was my 10 days in NYC dalliance. My wife and I stayed in my aunt's tiny apartment. Like always I'd wake up at 6:30 and my wife would sleep until 9am. I had not much else to do but read Prison School back then. Honestly, I don't know where I left off or how far I got. It was 5 years ago this week and I didn't even catch up then to what there was.

It got really out there towards the end. There was a point where the big fat guy Andre became a wild beast that the Above Ground Student Council road like a horse as they played Shoulder Wars against the Underground Student Council, trying to grab each other’s bandannas, and as the storyline progressed he became larger and larger, until he was the size of a building that they had to climb up. One character was shown to have a very phallic neck shortly after he literally “died” from embarrassment. I think that storyline ended with Andre getting hit with a missile.

It got really out there towards the end. There was a point where the big fat guy Andre became a wild beast that the Above Ground Student Council road like a horse as they played Shoulder Wars against the Underground Student Council, trying to grab each other’s bandannas, and as the storyline progressed he became larger and larger, until he was the size of a building that they had to climb up. One character was shown to have a very phallic neck shortly after he literally “died” from embarrassment. I think that storyline ended with Andre getting hit with a missile.
Yikes! Yeah, none of that rings a bell.
49 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
51 minutes ago, eal said:

Yikes! Yeah, none of that rings a bell.

I didn’t mind the ending but fans seemed to really hate it because it sorta came off like you were about to get the True ending like in a visual novel but you messed up a dialogue option in the middle of the game and you got a Bad ending instead at the last minute, but it was still really funny and ridiculous to the very end so I didn’t really care all that much about it.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...