Dakhil

"Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai new game project and anime announced"

The only distributor I’m worried will get it is Aniplex USA. Don’t wanna pay $80 for 12 episodes. Funimation is preferred. There’s a good chance it’ll get a solid dub within a few weeks of coming airing in Japanese and we could get a decent Limited Edition within a year, year and a half.
I will buy any BDs they put out. My Plex server needs more DQ.

The more I think about it, a DQ anime could not be better timed than right now. XI and XIS seemed to do well, of course as well did Builders 2 (so well they did a posthumous Steam release) and DQ Stars is around the corner.

An anime could really tap into that market and boost brand recognition even higher for the next release.
  • Upvote 1

If y'all do not get back on topic, I'll post a picture of Kill-vearn with his peepee out*.

Seriously, it's irritating to see tread update, only to open it and get offtop that is not even tangenially related.

*blah blah canon whatever

Edited by Mefista
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mefista said:

If y'all do not get back on topic, I'll post a picture of Kill-vearn with his peepee out*.

Seriously, it's irritating to see tread update, only to open it and get offtop that is not even tangenially related.

You must be new to the Den. We get off topic almost all the time.

It’s kind of our schtick around here. 🤪

1 hour ago, Mefista said:

It’s like having a conversation in real life. Topics change. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eal said:

It’s like having a conversation in real life. Topics change. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Also what eal said. It’s an awful like real life actually.

• Like 1

It’s like having a conversation in real life. Topics change.
Wisest way of saying it I've heard.

Always knock before entering @JaybirdC's room... He

MightBeComing.png

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 6:47 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

Always knock before entering @JaybirdC's room... He

MightBeComing.png

Damn straight, I might.

@Mefista, if the forum is spamming you, you might consider deactivating the reply notifications like I do, and come cruise by the forums and see what's new.

• Like 1

Now that Netflix has the rights to Dragon Quest: Your Story, do you guys think they have the rights to Dai no Daibouken as well but won't announce it yet?

3 minutes ago, DranzerX13 said:

Now that Netflix has the rights to Dragon Quest: Your Story, do you guys think they have the rights to Dai no Daibouken as well but won't announce it yet?

Doubt it. The series is in pre-production, and Toei Animation stuff doesn't show up on Netflix until half a year later at earliest. It will probably be in the works shortly after the series starts.

I'm talking about the 1991 Dai no Daibouken. Netflix will probably get exclusive rights to the old series.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, DranzerX13 said:

Netflix does license a lot of anime so it’s possible they may pick it up but generally anime aren’t announced as licensed until a couple weeks, sometimes the week of, the first episode coming out. They may have Your Story but that’s no guarantee they’d actively pursue Dai no Daibōken. And you’d better hope they don’t. Very few Netflix shows end up getting picked up for physical distribution.

If I were to wager a guess, I’d sooner bet on Funimation getting it just because it would fit with a lot of the other shows they have, but you can never know.

Edited by eal

I want Funimation to get it. I really do.

If Toei Animation adapts the new remake right, it would last about 3 years (less than 150 episodes) and that covers all 349 chapters, with them using 2-4 chapters an episode.

Wait so there's not much of a chance we'll see a Blu-Ray later on? I hate having to capture Netflix streams because the audio is never that fantastic. Also, I have to hope that my internet remains stable during capture.

4 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Wait so there's not much of a chance we'll see a Blu-Ray later on? I hate having to capture Netflix streams because the audio is never that fantastic. Also, I have to hope that my internet remains stable during capture.

If you watch through the app many shows and movies are available for download to watch offline later. That's what I do to capture shows.

If you watch through the app many shows and movies are available for download to watch offline later. That's what I do to capture shows.
Yeah but it usually contains DRM. I rely on BD-Rs for ripping to my server.

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2020 at 11:32 AM, DranzerX13 said:

Ha! You know I came back to talk about this. You made a post about a year and a half ago talking to a Netflix rep. And with what's been going on, that post of yours really stuck out to me. I wouldn't count Netflix completely out. I think Funimation is the likely choice (their Ace Attorney dub was really good and captured all the little details of the game's localization, they work well with Toei and have a solid track record with Shonen Jump properties). But I can imagine a scenario where Netflix really breaks out the funds as a sponsor of the new Anime and gets exclusive streaming rights. They might even go the extra mile and get British VAs or even top talent after they made a historic pact with actor unions which include dubbing. I mean Netflix has been kinda chummy with Square Enix lately. First they have Dad of Light, they got Your Story, and they're now working on an FFXIV live action show. But then I have no idea how much weight Square-Enix has in deciding how Dai is distributed. I'd PREFER Funimation, but I think Netflix has a fair shot and I wouldn't necessarily mind, it would just be a longer wait).

But I keep going back to that post of yours and think, "Damn, maybe that call really did do something!"

Edited by Choppasmith

On 12/25/2019 at 9:35 AM, AustNerevar said:

An anime could really tap into that market and boost brand recognition even higher for the next release.

Yeah this has me most excited as well. Even if we discount the Netflix possibility or even Viz comes in a licenses it (I'd rather not, they tend to kinda sit on licenses and just sort of dubs them as an afterthought) imagine this scenario

Funimation announces their acquisition

They announce a simuldub

They court Toonami to air it on their block (I mean they're full of Shonen Jump shows anyhow) giving the show (and series in general) greater exposure

The Square-Enix game comes along. Let's say it's a KH-like Action RPG. Anime dubbed games are a rarity these days, but I could see SE pushing it to have the English dub (not exactly the first S-E game based on an Anime that Funimation has dubbed)

Posted (edited)

Aw, it's a mobile game. 😑 

Edit: and an arcade game.

Edit 2: Never mind, they just showed Infinity Strash.

I really should watch the whole stream before reacting.

Edited by Chris

Watched the trailer and thought, "What in the ever-loving crap is a "strash" So I looked it up.

Strash: Strash is the most awesome diggity dank nuggs from Humboldt. It is also anything that is awesome and super sic.

So 3 games (tho only one of these will possibly come to us), a beautiful looking animé (tho that's nothing new), and a prequel manga on Avan, made by Shibata Yusaku, author of "Zipman". 

Yup, all in one, that's pretty good news! 

I hope the company that holds the rights of the manga in France, Tonkam, will re-release the 37 volumes when the anime hits the market, and that either them or any of the two other company who ever sold DQ mangas (Kii-on and Mana Books) will get their hands on the prequel too. 

As for the console game, it looks like it could run on a Switch. So Switch + PS4 maybe? I assume the game will be an adaptation of the manga, with little to no added/original content... Maybe we'll have a new/improved ending.

Spoiler

Or maybe the anime will do that too, the ending of the manga being kinda rushed. 

Anyway, that was a fun 2h30 to watch. 

I wonder tho, what langage will you guys watch the anime on? I strongly associate DQ with English voices now, and I'm quite curious so see (or rather hear) what the English cast of The Adventure of Daï will sound like. Or maybe even the French one. Your Story had a pretty solid French dub, so I may try this one too. All I know is that Maam's voice is going to be painful to listen if I go with the Japanese dub... Contrary to Leona's! 😍

Posted (edited)

Toei makes famously mediocre looking anime so I’m not setting my hopes too high. I’m guessing this’ll either languish on Crunchyroll without a home video release like a number of other Toei shows or Funimation will get it, in which case we’ll get a SimulDub but it’ll be from their usual stable of actors and I wouldn’t expect English accents or anything, but at least we can expect a physical version a year later.

As for the game, I’m also gonna remain cautiously optimistic. We get a lot of anime games and they’re all mostly okay but don’t raise the bar. This could go the way of those Seven Deadly Sins, Black Clover, Tokyo Ghoul :re, Heroic Legend of Arslan, My Hero Academia, and Kill La Kill games and be totally forgotten. I can’t see much appeal for American Dragon Quest fans either. Aside from the monsters, there is nothing else here that resembles Dragon Quest in terms of gameplay and characters. They’re not designed by Akira Toriyama and these aren’t characters we are familiar with (assuming your haven’t gone out of your way to read scans on manga pirating sites).

So, we’ll see.

Edited by eal

2 hours ago, Dwaine said:

Watched the trailer and thought, "What in the ever-loving crap is a "strash" So I looked it up.

Strash: Strash is the most awesome diggity dank nuggs from Humboldt. It is also anything that is awesome and super sic.

Strong Slash = Strash

2 hours ago, eal said:

Toei makes famously mediocre looking anime so I’m not setting my hopes too high. I’m guessing this’ll either languish on Crunchyroll without a home video release like a number of other Toei shows or Funimation will get it, in which case we’ll get a SimulDub but it’ll be from their usual stable of actors and I wouldn’t expect English accents or anything, but at least we can expect a physical version a year later.

As for the game, I’m also gonna remain cautiously optimistic. We get a lot of anime games and they’re all mostly okay but don’t raise the bar. This could go the way of those Seven Deadly Sins, Black Clover, Tokyo Ghoul :re, Heroic Legend of Arslan, My Hero Academia, and Kill La Kill games and be totally forgotten. I can’t see much appeal for American Dragon Quest fans either. Aside from the monsters, there is nothing else here that resembles Dragon Quest in terms of gameplay and characters. They’re not designed by Akira Toriyama and these aren’t characters we are familiar with (assuming your haven’t gone out of your way to read scans on manga pirating sites).

So, we’ll see.

Eh, they are usually pretty decent when they don't have to pump out a weekly show in a quick rate. They seemed to keep a similar style to the original anime based on that trailer.

I'll be watching the Japanese dub so long as it's available. If FUNImation dub I don't want to hear Chris Sabat voice every male character. 😛

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

Eh, they are usually pretty decent when they don't have to pump out a weekly show in a quick rate. They seemed to keep a similar style to the original anime based on that trailer.

I'll be watching the Japanese dub so long as it's available. If FUNImation dub I don't want to hear Chris Sabat voice every male character. 😛

It looks like they’ll be working on a Digimon and PreCure show, and maybe Butt Detective (lol), alongside Adventure of Dai, but so long as they plan out the production effectively it will likely turn out fine. However, the fact that the production of Digimon Adventure and the current season of PreCure was delayed due to COVID-19 shows this might not be the case. It’s common for a lot of anime to be in production right up until hours before an episode airs.

When it comes to anime in the West, there’s a catch to all of them. If AniPlex gets it, they’ll have a decent cast and it would come out decently fast but it’ll cost $120 for a season. However! It sounds like now that AniPlex and Funimation are owned by the same company, AniPlex is going to continue putting out expensive fancy versions and Funimation will handle the standard editions, as is the case with Demon Slayer. If Sentai Filmworks gets it, it’ll be a boring, bare bones release with a wooden dub, if it gets one at all. Funimation will do a slightly above average job on a dub that will come out on the same day as the subbed version and the Blu Ray packaging will be nice, but you risk a potential defect, as was the case with Re:Zero and Code Geass. So you have to pick your poison on this one.