Bothersome Baramos Battles (DQ3)

Is Baramos typically such a difficult fight for first time players or am I just particularly unlucky/bad at the game? I got to Baramos the first time with my party in the mid to late 30s, and he just tore me apart. On my winning attempt I just decided to roll the dice on putting him to sleep, which worked despite my history with random chance. Eventually I worked my way through Charlock and got to Soul of Baramos, and had very much the same issues. Hell, when I finally beat the game I decided Zoma gave me less trouble than either Baramos did. (Not counting the Bones of Baramos, he's a breather boss for a well prepared party)

Don't specifically recall it being super hard, but it's been many many many years. You're definitely not alone in that though, he's been complained about for decades around here. Haha, I'm so going back a LONG way, but what user was it that used to call him Comrade Creepezoid or something like that?

I wouldn't know about that, I only joined these here forums just the other day, and only got into DQ in the last year or so. But already Baramos has become my "best frenemy" as it is. I love his design (then again, I have yet to see any DQ monster design I don't like) but good lord he annoys me so much. Hell, it's a meme between me and some friends.

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

I remember him being average annoyance. Orochi was tough, and so was Baramos.

The nightmare for me was Zoma. But that's probably a completely different story, because I fought the full-powered Zoma. I think he becomes a cake-walk if you have the Light Orb. In fact, the deadliest thing about Zoma is the massive damage his physical attack does. And the easy thing about weakened Zoma is that his physical attack is pretty pathetic.

I always used a cheap tactic to beat the bones. I used Increase until everyone had 999 defence. Then I used Twinhits on my heavy hitters, and cast HealAll whenever he actually hurt me enough to need it. Once I learned how he worked, I didn't have trouble.

btw, once I found out about the Light Orb, my hero was strong enough to solo weakened Zoma. That fight stands out to me because of how overpowered I actually was for that point in the game; how could I have over 500 HP and max strength but still not beat this guy! A little Light Orb goes a long way :P

-note-

I only played the GBC version,

1 hour ago, Wes said:

I remember him being average annoyance. Orochi was tough, and so was Baramos.

The nightmare for me was Zoma. But that's probably a completely different story, because I fought the full-powered Zoma. I think he becomes a cake-walk if you have the Light Orb. In fact, the deadliest thing about Zoma is the massive damage his physical attack does. And the easy thing about weakened Zoma is that his physical attack is pretty pathetic.

I always used a cheap tactic to beat the bones. I used Increase until everyone had 999 defence. Then I used Twinhits on my heavy hitters, and cast HealAll whenever he actually hurt me enough to need it. Once I learned how he worked, I didn't have trouble.

btw, once I found out about the Light Orb, my hero was strong enough to solo weakened Zoma. That fight stands out to me because of how overpowered I actually was for that point in the game; how could I have over 500 HP and max strength but still not beat this guy! A little Light Orb goes a long way :P

-note-

I only played the GBC version,

Hold up...

Are you saying you had a playthrough where you beat full-powered Zoma? Like with no light orb??

2 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Hold up...

Are you saying you had a playthrough where you beat full-powered Zoma? Like with no light orb??

I died about five different times, then went online and found out about the light orb. By that time, I was almost strong enough to beat Zoma without it.

With 999HP and HealAll, I've soloed Zoma without using the Light Orb. I think I was using the Wreck Whip at that point, because I had moved on to Divinegon (Xenlon) by then.

Zoma is much harder, but he can be killed in the GBC without the Light Orb. His physical attack is dangerous, though.

I wouldn't think about that, I just joined these here discussions not more than a day or two ago, and just got into DQ in the most recent year or thereabouts. Yet, as of now Baramos has gotten my "best fence-straddling back-stabber" for what it's worth. I love his plan however great master he irritates me to such an extent. For hell's sake, it's an image among me and a few companions.  192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf
What's with those links?
On 12/11/2020 at 6:27 PM, Wes said:

I died about five different times, then went online and found out about the light orb. By that time, I was almost strong enough to beat Zoma without it.

With 999HP and HealAll, I've soloed Zoma without using the Light Orb. I think I was using the Wreck Whip at that point, because I had moved on to Divinegon (Xenlon) by then.

Zoma is much harder, but he can be killed in the GBC without the Light Orb. His physical attack is dangerous, though.

Yeah, I just figured everyone used the orb. 

I'm very impressed by your persistence. I think I may have given up in that circumstance. 

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Yeah, I just figured everyone used the orb. 

I'm very impressed by your persistence. I think I may have given up in that circumstance. 

I found out about Thieves and Kongs by that time (Kongs drop LifeAcorns outside... Samoa? The castle where you fight BossTroll)

I maxed out a GoldGolem on Dragon Warrior Monsters before getting DW3, so I think my obsession with max stats was already in full swing by then.