Sign in to follow this  
Erdrick The Hero

Advanced (or Dumbass) Networking

Erdrick's quest for a working computer setup continues...

I have spent all day working on my network. I'm living in a separate building on my grandmother's property now. Her Wi-Fi network barely reaches one corner of this building. I have a whole host of devices that need connected to the internet. Currently, my solution is this: Cheapo laptop sitting in the corner connects to house (primary) modem/router via Wi-FI -> My router (secondary) connects to laptop via ethernet (laptop acts as a network bridge) -> My devices connect to my router via Wi-Fi or ethernet. The primary router IP address is set to it's default gateway. The secondary router is set to the very next IP address. The next 125 addresses are set for DHCP on the primary router. The last 128 are set for DHCP on the secondary router. This works, for the most part. However, despite setting aside separate groups of IP addresses for each router, I am getting IP address confilicts. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

NAT is turned off on the secondary router. The idea was to avoid a double NAT situation, which in previous setups was causing me to not be able to find any games in online multiplayer matchmaking games. Not sure if this is what is causing the IP address confilcts.

Both routers are Qwest-branded Actiontec PK5000 DSL Modem/router combos. The primary was recieved by my grandmother from her ISP back when Qwest still existed. The other one I bought for $5 today at Goodwill.

I basically learned everything I know on the subject today - every network I've set up in the past simply involved plugging everything in, signing into a subscriber account if necessary, and setting an SSID and password.

EDIT: Also my Roku TV won't connect at all to either network. Last night it managed to connect to the primary router's Wi-Fi somehow and I streamed Netflix for hours. Today it won't connect to that anymore. It times out trying to connect to either router's Wi-Fi, and doesn't even recognize if I plug in an ethernet cable (I know it works because I'm using it for my computer to post this) between the TV and the secondary router. I get error 14.50 trying to connect to either network via Wi-Fi or error 13.50 trying to connect via ethernet. It will connect to my phone's hotspot, but I have limited amount of hotspot data so I'm not trying to use that.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

By the next 125 address are set aside do you mean like 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.125 are for the primary router the next router being 192.168.1.126 - 192.168.1.250? Because if so that explains your IP conflicts. You'll want the primary router(Which in this case is your Grandmother's.) to be 192.168.1.1 the next router you'll want to be 192.168.2.1 any router after that you increase the number by one so that it is in its own sub set. 

2 hours ago, ethanej said:

By the next 125 address are set aside do you mean like 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.125 are for the primary router the next router being 192.168.1.126 - 192.168.1.250? Because if so that explains your IP conflicts. You'll want the primary router(Which in this case is your Grandmother's.) to be 192.168.1.1 the next router you'll want to be 192.168.2.1 any router after that you increase the number by one so that it is in its own sub set. 

Yes, currently:

192.168.0.1 is primary,

192.168.0.2 is secondary,

192.168.0.3 - 192.168.0.127 are set aside for the house network, and

192.168.0.128 - 19.168.0.254 (this is where the primary was originally set to end by default) are set aside for my network.

I'll give the 192.168.1.X a shot. Thanks for the tip.