Sign in to follow this  
Erdrick The Hero

Potential RAM issues?

So recently, I've been having problems with my computer. At first, I thought my GPU was dead, as I came back to my computer after about an hour away, and the image was stretched horizontally and tinted green. After turning off the machine, I could not get it to show video, or (judging by the lack of PC speaker beeps) even POST.

Fast forward a couple days, I'm dead angry about not having a computer to use, so I desparately tear down the entire machine and rebuild it. To my astonishment, it worked! I left it running for a few days with no issue.

Tonight, I try to play a game that's stored on my secondary HDD, only to realize that the disk isn't mounted. Quickly I check Windows' Disk Management utility, to find that the disk isn't even recognized. I try rebooting, and... it doesn't POST. I open the computer and find that I had forgotten to connect the SATA data cable for the missing drive to the motherboard - d'OH! I connected it and tried turning on the computer again. It still doesn't POST. I reseated the GPU a few times, checking it's power cable, trying to boot the machine after each attempt... It still won't post. Then I remember that I found a couple buttons directly on the motherboard last time I worked on it. One labelled "PWR" and one labelled "Mem OK!". I figured that the "PWR" button was just an alternate power switch (I guess for caseless builds?) - this was true. I'm not entirely sure what the "Mem OK!" button does, but it appears to be related to the RAM. Perhaps it forces the machine to ignore memory errors. PRESSING THIS BUTTON CAUSES THE MACHINE TO POST AND BOOT. So does removing the RAM and replacing it. However, the machine will not POST a second time unless the button is pressed again, or the RAM is replaced again. This leads me to believe that one of my RAM sticks is faulty. However, running Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool doesn't detect any problems (possibly related to "Mem OK!"?).

Anybody here experienced enough to confirm or deny that this is definitely a RAM issue? I'm kind of hoping that's all it is, because replacing the RAM will be much cheaper than replacing the GPU.

Thanks!

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

On 12/7/2019 at 12:18 AM, Erdrick The Hero said:

Anybody here experienced enough to confirm or deny that this is definitely a RAM issue? I'm kind of hoping that's all it is, because replacing the RAM will be much cheaper than replacing the GPU.

Yup, I fought HP for 4 months over an issue, ended up being the processor though.

You can try Prime95 (https://www.mersenne.org/download/) and run it (no install needed). Choose "Just Stress Testing" from the popup and then choose the Large FFTs (stresses memory controller and RAM) and let it run for a while. If any of the Workers stop processing with an error you can google the error and see what it states about it.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:41 AM, Woodus said:

Yup, I fought HP for 4 months over an issue, ended up being the processor though.

You can try Prime95 (https://www.mersenne.org/download/) and run it (no install needed). Choose "Just Stress Testing" from the popup and then choose the Large FFTs (stresses memory controller and RAM) and let it run for a while. If any of the Workers stop processing with an error you can google the error and see what it states about it.

Thanks Woodus, I'll give it a shot.

I sure hope it's not my CPU... That's the part I spent the most money on, specifically hoping it would outlast the rest of the machine.

You can run blended as well, that will test ram/cpu etc