How do you feel about grinding up to the level cap?

Yeah, I'm the opposite. In DWIII, I level all the way up to 40+ to make sure the spellcasters have all their spells before class changing them, but also to maximize the halved MP they'll carry over to the next class. It means that by the time I'm either at Baramos or just entering the "dark world," I'm now starting to grind these characters back up. This is less necessary in the original DWIII, since there's no bonus dungeon, but that's the way I've always done it. I'd rather not class change a Priest to a Soldier unless he's learned all his healing spells and will still have decent Max MP, after it's halved.

In DWM I've been getting as close to the max level as possible. I just maxed out two King Slimes (Male and Female). One was from a foreign master and was pretty leveled already, and the other was a boss from one of the dungeons (about 2 levels from max). I bread them to produce a King Slime +4. I also picked up a Servant so I'm closing in on breeding a Dragonlord, but the Servant is pretty weak compared to my breeded GreatDrak and King Slime. The GreatDrak is also pretty powerful (for where I am in the plot) even if he is only around level 32 out of 68. So I'm keeping him around for awhile.

I'm hoarding most of my decent monsters and sacrificing one monster farm slot to rotate in new "throw-away" monsters. Recruits just for the sake of recruits. If I get 100 (out of something like 215 or 216?) I get to open the library portal. Right now I'm around 70.

May the Grind Be With You...always!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Liamland said:

May the Grind Be With You...always!

Between this, Oh, Brother, and the Cookie Monster, we may be generating new Dragon's Den memes at a rate not heard of in ages.

• Like 1
On 1/27/2020 at 8:04 PM, Brother Jaybird said:

Between this, Oh, Brother, and the Cookie Monster, we may be generating new Dragon's Den memes at a rate not heard of in ages.

There's a DQXI meme to be made here but I'm not much of a memist.

Took me about 25 hours to grind another Kiefer to 99.  Would have taken 23 had I followed a particular path.  24h of which took me to level 50, 30 minutes for prep, and 30 minutes getting from 50 to 99.

10 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Took me about 25 hours to grind another Kiefer to 99.  Would have taken 23 had I followed a particular path.  24h of which took me to level 50, 30 minutes for prep, and 30 minutes getting from 50 to 99.

Are you building a level 99 Kiefer army? Are we going to have to start worrying about them coming back to the past at some point and suddenly have an Arnold voice and sunglasses?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, Brother Jaybird said:

It's here, it's arrived, 2020 is officially over. You can all go home now.

Doesn’t that mean you have to go back to the abbey and practice your prayers now, Brother Jay?

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Are you building a level 99 Kiefer army? Are we going to have to start worrying about them coming back to the past at some point and suddenly have an Arnold voice and sunglasses?

You should be careful inquiring about certain things beyond your ability to understand... o_o ... O_o ... o_O ... o_o

*slithers away, hisses*

In all seriousness though, I wanted one at under 100 hours, the other two are 900+ and 600+ respectively.  This is the first one I'm able to do with two systems without deleting the other two carts.  I kind of wanted this for down the road, both for myself, but also thinking about whenever I have kids and want to assure they can fully enjoy DQ7 on 3DS, and not have to worry about hacking in the DLC maps.

Edited by ignasia
7 hours ago, ignasia said:

You should be careful inquiring about certain things beyond your ability to understand... o_o ... O_o ... o_O ... o_o

*slithers away, hisses*

We’ll have to be careful once IggyNet goes online...

11 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Doesn’t that mean you have to go back to the abbey and practice your prayers now, Brother Jay?

You'd think so, but nah, I live in a house on the side of a road.

11 hours ago, ignasia said:

O_o

46 minutes ago, Brother Jaybird said:

You'd think so, but nah, I live in a house on the side of a road.

O_o

Do people make regular stops so they can save their progress...I mean, tell you about their travels in a journal?

8 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Do people make regular stops so they can save their progress...I mean, tell you about their travels in a journal?

This is an Imperial Scrolls of Honor household.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

This is an Imperial Scrolls of Honor household.

No way, older timer! Get with the times, man!

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Only when they catch me hanging out in the church hall.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this was a fun thread!

I will always remember Horii's idea on how Dragon Quest works:

And then you got metal slimes that went from the traditional "get lucky to kill" which was closer to winning the lottery, to a surefire mass murder of dopamine rush that is Dragon Quest 11. But that's just the tide of times, of high dopamine reward browsing memes on Reddit, swiping on Tinder or whatever tickles your pickles. Hey, I don't yuck other people's yums!

umlhazts6m2y.png

And also, to add another quote: 

The Gameological Society’s John Teti described leveling up in Dragon Quest for the first time as a revelation, a sign that games can create experiences more nonlinear and introspective than Mario Bros. Grinding is work, but it’s work that can lead to discernible improvement of one’s character, both in a game and in terms of real world patience and tenacity.

"Real world patience" *laughs at fast forward* hey, it's a feature that sells more game copies so who cares?

Edited by Kakugo
added quote
  • Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I've never really done it. The only games I've been willing to do this in are IX- where I didn't actually revocate so really it's not "max", because going through that in IX sounded miserable- and DQOTS, where I haven't reached it yet (I think max for the advanced classes is 3-times revocated 99 from what I've seen on multiplayer). I may or may not do it.

My problem with it in DQ1 and 2 is that there's no real reason to do it- the games are designed where you can finish them in your early 20s for DQ1 and around 30 for DQ2, respectively, so getting extra levels just makes the game easier. There's no real incentive. For later games it's mostly the same problem, except even worse in terms of how much sheer leveling is possible.

It's a form of completionism that doesn't appeal to me; instead of maxing out numbers, I'd rather just make sure I see as much of the unique content as possible, like dungeons, bosses, characters, costumes, etc. (Though if something is too RNG-based I may have to draw the line somewhere, too, as I did with some of DQIX's postgame stuff. HowLongToBeat's Completionist average perfectly demonstrates why: https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=2817 ).

That said, I did recently max-evolve the event equipment from DQ1 and 2 in DQOTS, but that was a bit silly, and probably doesn't count since that's items, not characters. It was still pretty-grindy and I probably fought Legendary Malroth at least a hunded times in those two weeks.

I also got some characters to 9999HP in Final Fantasy VI, but that wasn't by max levelling, they were only 50-something I think; I just made sure to equip the Bahamut magicite on people before their levelups so they'd always get the big HP bonus at levelup.

As a kid, playing Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES taught me patience, but it also maybe made me TOO patient and I seem a bit slow about a lot of things these days. It's a fine line to balance XD (But I do wish the remakes had an option about how long you want the grinding to be, instead of just speeding it up.)

Edited by Mitsukara
On 6/16/2020 at 12:55 PM, Mitsukara said:

It's a form of completionism that doesn't appeal to me; instead of maxing out numbers, I'd rather just make sure I see as much of the unique content as possible, like dungeons, bosses, characters, costumes, etc. (Though if something is too RNG-based I may have to draw the line somewhere, too, as I did with some of DQIX's postgame stuff. HowLongToBeat's Completionist average perfectly demonstrates why: https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=2817 ).

Ha! I guess I never looked at that for IX. That's a high number, not surprising though. 

But yeah, max leveling is an pretty up-there form of completionism, and one that isn't normally achieved whilst achieving other goals.