How do you feel about grinding up to the level cap?

I still remember the days when I (inner voice: OK BOOMER) grinded the ever-loving hell out of games that I loved. The biggest example was Final Fantasy 7 because I just wanted to be OP af and kill Ruby Weapon (back then there was no internet so I didn't know that you can cheese it).

Now I read that lots of people level up to 99 in the latest Dragon Quest (and I thought that the level cap was lower for Dragon Quest games, huh) and it made me think: "These people really suck so bad they have to grind the hell out of a game in order to clear it". And then my inner voice reminded me that I did the same and in fact I did it because I loooooved the game. I wanted a team who melts faces so bad that when I finally went to Sephiroth with my fully stacked team and he died maaaybe after the super nova or before, I even flipped a finger to the TV. "God my a$$". :D:D

So, how do you feel about excessive grinding?

I think Final Fantasy VII is the only JRPG I've ever grinded to the level cap. I'm not sure why, maybe it's just a lot easier to maximize your EXP in that game? I don't remember it being that much work to be honest, despite it being quite a lot higher than the level you are usually at by the final boss.

Most other games have you vastly overpowered long before the level cap. I've played FF6 countless times, and I always end up grinding it out by the dinosaur forest which gets you strong super fast. But I'm pretty sure I've never been near the level cap.

Dragon Warrior's level cap is 30, it requires minimal grinding by the time you get to the final castle (providing you've done a normal amount of grinding)

Dragon Warrior 2's level caps are 50 for Midenhall, 40 for Cannock and 35 for Moonbrooke, though I've read that the cap for the mobile version was changed to 50 for all three characters. 

Dragon Warrior 3's levels caps are 99, which is the most easiest to do with the hero (if you're class changing support characters), but still a long, slow grind and honestly not worth it. I tried it on a replay of the SFC version back in college and when I was done I reflected on the fact that it accomplished nothing.

DQIX is where you really start to see level caps and revocations mean something as the more revocations from level 99 that you accomplish in the postgame the better your chances for higher level grottos when you generate new maps.

I’ve never been concerned about level caps in any RPG besides Etrian Odyssey games.

It depends on the game. I really don't go for level cap unless it is easy to do or pretty much required for late/post game content. I have nothing against grinding and do it myself often with RPGs. But I personally like trying to find the minimum it takes to take down bosses when I do challenge runs in games. So for that reason I typically avoid over leveling.

The only game in recent history I can think of grinding to level cap is Dragon Quest XI. Only because it is incredibly easy to do.

I feel like it would be easier to type out the whole title instead of trying to remember that abbreviation.
I've used the same custom keyboard app on my phone for about 7 years now. It's knows all my tendencies. All I have to do is type DQH and I'm good! d491d9fbc1a0784ca99d3e1b002f541b.jpg
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I've used the same custom keyboard app on my phone for about 7 years now. It's knows all my tendencies. All I have to do is type DQH and I'm good! d491d9fbc1a0784ca99d3e1b002f541b.jpg

I just have to type "Ni" and my phone already knows the next thing type is "no Kuni is the greatest game ever made". It also has the f-bomb ready to go after most things.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve never been concerned about level caps in any RPG besides Etrian Odyssey games.

To go into more detail (not that anyone probably cares), Etrian games usually have a level cap of 70. Once you kill one of the three special bosses in a given game from EO3 onward, the level cap raises by 10 and will max out at level 99, with a gold crown award to your status screen for killing each of the bosses.

Levels are important in Etrian games not because of the stats, but because of the skill points: for every level you earn, you earn +1 skill point you can use for that character. You want to get your party to as high of a level as possible before Retiring them (or Training them depending on the game mode) so that, while they go back to level 30, they receive several bonuses. So, get to level 99, retire that character, and then grind them back to level 99 for even more skill points and a drastic boost to their stats.

Regardless of the Etrian game, you want to do this if you plan to tackle all the post game content. Etrian Odyssey games DO NOT pull their punches with the 6th stratum and the many, MANY bosses that become available in the post game. Getting to level 99 and then training back up to level 99 is pretty much necessary for the super bosses of each game, as you will want as many skill points as you can get to get your team some good synergy going.

Luckily, most Etrian games have a means to quickly level characters who have Retired/Trained in the post game, and even a Retired character can deal with post game monsters thanks to the equipment selections at that point and because of the boost to their stats and extra skill points. You gain back all your levels quickly, especially if you know what enemies to go after for quick EXP gains.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Regardless of the Etrian game, you want to do this if you plan to tackle all the post game content.

I only ever played through the postgame in EO1 and EO4, but I've never had to do that in either of those.

I guess if you want to beat the big bad in EO4 without the puzzle that weakens it, it might be necessary?

Ok boomer needs to die.  It's the most mind numbingly stupid retort I see people usually using when they literally have no relevant points to make in any argument.  At least thus far it's how it's been used with me, and every other time I've seen it used.  It's not a valid criticism, just an escape from meaningful dialogue by moronic trolls who think themselves clever that they've somehow escaped using the wasted rental space between their ears.

That said...it's not something that bothers me.  I don't always grind to the level cap, but in some games I will.  After beating the boss, and if available, the bonus boss.  I require the desire to continue playing.

I've done so in FF1 NES (once...not doing so again, it's very slow past 28).  I've done so in the PSX rerelease twice, and the GBA version several times.

FF4 it's been a few games where I've hit the cap, both in the remake and in the original SNES version.  Not in the GBA version and I still need to get the PSP (not too enthusiastic about it).

FF6 I've hit the cap quite easily in numerous replays.

FF7 I've hit the cap in almost every full playthrough, and there have been a lot.

FF8 I've hit the cap twice, and regretted it both times.  Low level is the best way to play.  It's not even challenging.  It's more like a beatdown, even with Holy Wars, Aura, and Triple with a fair chunk of monsters, as their stats cap out at 255, and it's very hard to max every player stat higher than 180.  180 vs 255 is a huge difference, and with only a handful of 255 stats, often some defense has to be sacrificed, so damage intake is very high, often one-shotting party members from several end-game enemies.  Omega and Ultima weapons are relatively unforgiving, and Omega's HP is insane at cap.

FF9 I hit cap every game.

FF10 I've hit cap twice.

FF13 I've hit cap in my one and only playthrough.

Tales of Phantasia, I hit cap every playthrough after getting to the second to last area.  It's very easy to hit.  So in this case, it breaks my rule, but not by choice.

Tales of Destiny, I've hit cap twice I think.  It's much more difficult to cap out.

Tales of Eternia, I've hit cap once.

Might and Magic 2 and 3, I've actually hit cap, on multiple characters, and age cap as well, which wasn't fun, forcing retirement.

Xenogears I hit cap in every playthrough I get to the end.  Xenosaga 1 and 2 I've hit cap.  I haven't gotten far enough into 3 to cap out.

Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2 I've hit the initial caps with one character roster each, before retiring for skill point bonuses.

Lost Odyssey I've hit cap in every area I visit.  Then again the game is designed to thrust the player to the cap immediately.  I've even gotten Cap +1~5 thanks to grinding out literally 1 exp per enemy trying to farm items.

Blue Dragon is so easy to max out levels in for each class.  The moment the Kelonlon tunnel opens up ...Barrier leveling to the max!  Seriously broken, but at least it's very very late game.  The trick for BD is to get the Barrier class up asap, get the 3rd version Barrier, then get the basic freelancer type class up to max asap, then play the game normally with the other classes, using Barrier level 3 to leech EXP without getting into battles, and just run around maps insta-killing things) to get that class up to decent level.  It's great that BD also offers a lot of areas with tons and tons of instantly or nearly instantly respawning enemies.  I guess Blue Dragon is the one exception to my rule by choice.  I always cap out early.

Dragon Quest 2 I've hit the cap at least once, maybe a few more times.  NES original only.

Dragon Quest 3 I've hit the cap in each version at least once.  My current mobile phone game has my Hero and 9 additional characters representing both exes that I like still/on good/great terms with after breaking up and women that I didn't date but really wanted to.  They've been level 99 for quite some time.  It's just about seed farming to max stats, now HP, and then MP for at least the Hero.  Maybe getting 500 MP for the three Martial Artists.  The other two groups are three Sages and three Thieves.  All of which have every spell.

Dragon Quest 4 I've hit the cap in numerous playthroughs, including my last DS playthrough.

Dragon Quest 6 I've hit the cap in two playthroughs.

Dragon Quest 7 on every playthrough I've gotten to the end.

Dragon Quest 8 on every playthrough I've gotten to the end.  PS2 version...it's always abusing turbo-controllers auto-farming seeds of strength on the hidden SW island.

Dragon Quest 9 on three playthroughs I've capped every class enough times to get max skill points.  Two of them were solo games.  One is my main (I use a save manager).

Dragon Quest 11 I capped in Act 2 because I'm FAQ writing, gathering data, and did not put the EXP cap Draconian setting on.  It's very easy to max out in DQ11.

There are probably a few other games where I've capped out, but can't recall.  OH, Nostalgia and Skies of Arcadia (multiple times...like every playthrough...it's almost necessary in Legends for the extra super fights).

1 hour ago, ignasia said:

FF10 I've hit cap twice.

How do you define the "cap" in FF10? Replacing every single little grid node with the highest possible stat boost?

17 minutes ago, Sumez said:

How do you define the "cap" in FF10? Replacing every single little grid node with the highest possible stat boost?

Maxing the sphere grid prior to changing out the nodes.  The other is...I've gotten halfway in one game, and I still need another 200 or so max level stat nodes.  That's too much work.  So as is, and the freebie stat boosting nodes the game automatically hands the party.  So all locks removed as well.

I would equate maxing out all nodes by farming the high-tier stat boost nodes, and purchasing the node removals, is the equivalent of getting stat boosting items in DQ's or the few FF's that have them, like 7.

Edited by ignasia

Just filling out all your nodes won't get you anywhere near beating the majority of the postgame bosses though. FFX requires a ridiculous amount of grinding for that stuff >_>

On 12/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, Sumez said:

Just filling out all your nodes won't get you anywhere near beating the majority of the postgame bosses though. FFX requires a ridiculous amount of grinding for that stuff >_>

Oh, believe me, I'm well aware.  It just takes too long to farm the rarer nodes.  Even abusing Chemistry and Rikku, the stats still need to be really high, in the 150's or higher, to even last a few rounds.  Nevermind at least 20k HP.

• 3 weeks later...

Only games I've ever got level cap in are DQ1 (English GBC just for the hell of it and Japanese mobile to safeguard against language related mistakes) and DQ10. The level cap in X is raised in pretty much every major or semi-major update though, and it's also per-class. I've never hit the cap with every class at once.

I'm on track to hit 99 with pretty much all characters in XI S. Beat the Lord of Shadows at 74 (Fredrick, everybody else close behind) without even really trying to grind, just questing.

Yeah I named my character Fredrick because you can't name him Erdrick (my usual name) or Erik (my secondary name, usually reserved for the Gameboy games where you've only got 4 letters to work with). Lol

There are very few games I have capped and it has been limited to games where it is VERY easy. Ready for the list?

Dragon Quest VIII 3DS

Dragon Quest XI

That's it. In DQVIII3DS you pretty much need to be Lv 99 to do the final battle in Memories Lane and it was really easy to make it happen just resetting Memory Lane and killing as many enemies as possible between resets.

In DQXI I went from 60's to 99 in about 30 minutes. I didn't even try to post-game boss in between, but I really didn't have time to do it the way I wanted to.

Oh. I guess there's DQIX as well, but I didn't +10 revocate, so I don't know if that counts.

Edited by GrandAlchemist
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Grinding up to the Level Caps is useful when a game has sufficiently powerful bosses to merit it (i.e. they'll turn you to paste if you don't have the stats).

Heroes is kind of a mixed bag, in that maxing out your levels also gives you unlockable stat boosts and options, but because Heroes employs real-time combat, bosses are mostly overcome with skill, and the stats mostly determine your margin for error.

For XI it wasn't that much of a grind for me, I would swap people in and out to get them pepped up and would just pull out Electro Light when they were ready and get one LMS or KMS usually each time if not more.

XI wasn't too bad to grind to 99 because of all the side quests and crossbow targets (for the PS4 version.) I haven't played the Switch release, but I know they added content to that and took out the crossbow targets, so it may be either the same or easier to grind.

Right now I'm grinding in DWM because as you breed it combines stats and then cuts them down to 1/4 of their totals. So just as DWIII would half the stats for a character class change, I want to grind my monsters until they're close to or at their max level before breeding to maximize their stats (in addition to making sure they're gaining their better spells). This is a real slow grind, however, so while I have a max level male King Slime at 42, I may not grind my GreatDrak all the way to 68. What I'm reading is that by the time you get the better monsters, such as the Boss class ones, they take a ton of experience to even gain a single level, so there's even more grinding ahead of me. At a certain point I'm just going to want to beat DWM so I can move on to DWM2.

XI wasn't too bad to grind to 99 because of all the side quests and crossbow targets (for the PS4 version.) I haven't played the Switch release, but I know they added content to that and took out the crossbow targets, so it may be either the same or easier to grind.
Right now I'm grinding in DWM because as you breed it combines stats and then cuts them down to 1/4 of their totals. So just as DWIII would half the stats for a character class change, I want to grind my monsters until they're close to or at their max level before breeding to maximize their stats (in addition to making sure they're gaining their better spells). This is a real slow grind, however, so while I have a max level male King Slime at 42, I may not grind my GreatDrak all the way to 68. What I'm reading is that by the time you get the better monsters, such as the Boss class ones, they take a ton of experience to even gain a single level, so there's even more grinding ahead of me. At a certain point I'm just going to want to beat DWM so I can move on to DWM2.
You're way overdoing it. I always bred after level 10 and always beat the game pretty easily. But then again, I'm also the one that plays DQ3 with barely any class changes, so there's that.