Sign in to follow this  
Slimeknight

So I was playing the Super Famicom version of Dragon Quest V...

and I really like the graphics a lot more than the DS version which I have been playing lately and I am near the end of the main quest.

I like the DS graphics, but the fact that it's nearly identical to some incarnation of three other Dragon Quest titles makes it stand out a bit less...

Eh, the cleanliness of the graphics is a tad more enjoyable.  As is the darker colour pallet, something that's changed drastically since DQ8.  Even DQ4 and 5's original remakes have darker colour pallets than the DS remakes.  It's a change I've never liked in Dragon Quest, including 11.  My favourite part of 11 is just after arriving on the beach at the start of Act 2, and seeing the sky, the darkened land, the grim and grueling changes to the world.  Then it's ripped all away after the first major battle, and only one area is left with that sky and darker colour pallet (Gallopolis).

I'd take the graphical differences of the DS version over the SFC for that one extra party member in battle. The SFC version's battle system feels like a step back in the series' chronological development, considering DQIII & IV NES/FC allowed for 4 party members in battle. DQV is also a game with a large amount of human heroes and recruitable monsters. Having to choose only a combination of 3 does a disservice to the amount of possible characters from which you can choose. I'm really glad the remakes fixed that.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ignasia said:

It's a change I've never liked in Dragon Quest, including 11.

I can kinda get behind that. I never thought about it in terms of graphics, but one of my favourite aspects of the series is how the happy carefree and adventurous mood is often juxtaposed with some super heavy themes of death and sorrow every now and then. The two work surprisingly well together.

It's one thing both Builders games were actually incredibly talented at recreating.

• Like 1