The SaGa of 2 Twinsies Romancing

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

I'll keep a toe in the water as long as you do!

Sounds like a plan. I think it’s going to be like what happened with Bloodborne. I had reached the point where you defeat a major boss named Rom the Vacuous Spider. Boss fight was difficult, but it felt good to get past it. I reached the next area - Yar-hargul, the Unseen Village - and it was such a pain to deal with. Enemies dealt high damage and could be respawned via Bell Witches, a one time enemy that will constantly call reinforcements until you can kill them.

I could only get to the first Lantern in that area (your check points) for a LONG time and just couldn’t deal with #$*! the game was throwing at me. I put it aside for about 2-3 months and went back, wanting to give the game another go. Started playing again and found I was better prepared to handle what was coming my way. Still ran into problems, but stepping away for awhile helped freshen my interest and got me wanting to finally finish the game.

I’m not saying RS2 is going to be exactly like that, but I get the impression this is a series where it’s not a bad idea to just step away for a bit when things are getting tough and then head back in to tackle the challenge again.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like she’s happy you became part of her world.

Well, we played with TiTs. I was WAY more into that initially (insert many jokes@eal), I think@YangustheLegendaryBandit went back a year later and finished, but 2017 was my year for that!   2018 was t

Oh yeah. Honestly i totally forgot about the first one since he wasn’t much of a threat.

Posted Images

Well it took until the end of February @Plattym3, but the legacy of the emperors and empresses continues...

F6176521-8267-4E01-853D-EF29961E55B5.jpeg.f3a31de6e899dbc2e2c66f35f101cca8.jpeg

I took on the Landship in the eastern Steppe and managed to defeat the boss, Bokhohn. I was able to sneak onto the ship once I figured out what steps I needed to get the events going (spoiler alert, it DOES NOT involve having a Tactician in your active party like I thought it would, you have to talk to a Tactician in Avalon) but he went down pretty quickly.

I’m going to see this game beaten yet.

• Like 1
Well it took until the end of February [mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention], but the legacy of the emperors and empresses continues...
F6176521-8267-4E01-853D-EF29961E55B5.jpeg.f3a31de6e899dbc2e2c66f35f101cca8.jpeg

I took on the Landship in the eastern Steppe and managed to defeat the boss, Bokhohn. I was able to sneak onto the ship once I figured out what steps I needed to get the events going (spoiler alert, it DOES NOT involve having a Tactician in your active party like I thought it would, you have to talk to a Tactician in Avalon) but he went down pretty quickly.
I’m going to see this game beaten yet.
You beat a boss!! Now I'm jealous!
5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

You beat a boss!! Now I'm jealous!

I’m surprised I managed to beat one of the Seven Heroes. I figured I f***ed myself since I’d taken so long just to get to one of them and that the first one I fought was going to destroy me. I was thinking I was going to have to use the NG+ feature to give myself a fighting chance. Luckily didn’t have to and managed to win.

Not sure what I’ll do in this new generation, but I have a few places I can head too. I may go and try to do the mermaid story next, see if that doesn’t lead me to another one of the heroes.

• Like 1

#$*!. NOW I ran into a brick wall with one of the Seven Heroes. While trying to help the snow mountain Nomads find their lost animals I came across Dantarg, who apparently was trying to become stronger inside the mountains and basically said “#$*! it,” to the rest of the Seven Heroes and whatever they are planning.

The centaur looking bastard kicked my ass though. I kept thinking MAYBE I had a chance in the 2nd attempt, but I just couldn’t kill the bastard. His attacks hit like a truck so I may have to go back and give everyone defense buffing spells to deal with him. Luckily I earned Delta Attack for my Axe user, which was doing 1,500+ damage every time. So I may have to bypass this cave right now and get characters trained up in axes.

Damn. I’m gonna beat this bastard one way or another. Weird how the last hero died easily but this one is just flipping me off and laughing gleefully. Looking into the boss, apparently he gets stronger the longer it takes to get to him, or specifically how many battles you fight before reaching him. Seems he’s in his third possible form at the point I’m at...yuck. We’ll see if I can actually beat him.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Holy #$*!, I beat him! By sheer luck I did it. I say luck because Dantarg has a lot of bullshit moves he can use, and lucky for me on my last attempt the AI gave me a break so I could keep up with healing. I’m super happy to have him beaten. Phew! That’s 3 of the 7 heroes down now.

Now it’s time for the next generation...

B31C64B7-684B-4B45-B556-1B6B9E71E683.jpeg.199e7f476c450079a8e0b3fa40b08a80.jpeg

We’re off to the high seas, mateys! Arrrrr!!

• Like 1
Holy #$*!, I beat him! By sheer luck I did it. I say luck because Dantarg has a lot of bullshit moves he can use, and lucky for me on my last attempt the AI gave me a break so I could keep up with healing. I’m super happy to have him beaten. Phew! That’s 2 of the 7 heroes down now.
Now it’s time for the next generation...
B31C64B7-684B-4B45-B556-1B6B9E71E683.jpeg.199e7f476c450079a8e0b3fa40b08a80.jpeg

We’re off to the high seas, mateys! Arrrrr!!
That's 3. You beat 1 in the very first generation IIRC. It's the first boss battle.
45 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

That's 3. You beat 1 in the very first generation IIRC. It's the first boss battle.

Oh yeah. Honestly i totally forgot about the first one since he wasn’t much of a threat.

• Like 1

I’ve saved the volcano island from nearly being destroyed and added it to the Empire. I’m hoping the Salamander people on it can be recruited in the future.

I especially hope I can get rid of the team I have right now. I’m really starting to hate magic focused characters because good lord they cannot take damage to save their lives. It’s the Ashlynn problem from DQ6 all over again: not enough health and defense to defend themselves properly.

Magic damage is also becoming very lackluster compared to what you can do with physical damage. I’ve seen magic damage is effective for one of the heroes since he counters physical attacks a lot, but you can just use distance based physical damage instead. I’m thinking I’m only going to get one magic character in future generations just so they can be the main healer/support while the rest of the party does the heavy lifting.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Much like my adventure, I’m using New Game+ to revive this topic. I was running into problems with my first file; enemies were getting way too strong and I know that’s my fault. I got too battle happy, but I enjoy the battle system so that’s my fault. So I looked into the NG+ feature and decided to use that to have a fresh start with some added bonuses.

It’s been a slow process starting over, but from what I’ve played I’m up to the 2nd generation after Gerard has passed on. Luckily this time I was able to recruit the Brawler class and didn’t totally screw up that quest line, so I’m happy about that. If I can get skills like Guanyin from Fisticuffs users I’ll be sitting pretty with damage.

This has been a file I’m just working on when I feel like it, so it’s slow going. I’m going to try and go back and my first playthrough at some point too and see if I can beat it.

• Like 1

As was tradition for the first playthrough, here are the opening cards for my Emperor/Empress so far.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Beat Dantarg of the Seven Heroes. Not really sure how I managed to win as every one of his attacks could kill someone in one hit, but I managed to win. Now to the next generation!

spacer.png

Made some good progress in the game yesterday. Helped deal with the Termite Queen in the Savannah and am close to making the Mermaid Potion. I just need to find one more town with an NPC who mentions the moon for one of the potion components.

I’m not sure what hero I should try and fight next. While I could try and take on Bokhohn I would prefer to have the Strategist unlocked so I can easily enter the Landship dungeon with all my gear intact. I might try and go for Noel, because I think he’s hiding out in the desert town. I definitely want to deal with him before his sister Rouboquet, as I heard Noel gets exceptionally harder if you kill Rouboquet first before fighting him.

Well, good news is I finally got the Mermaid Potion made. Bad news is I apparently lost the chance to actually use it and go after the mermaid for emperor. Apparently you have to do that side quest in one generation. Whoops. Luckily you can use the potion to help go after Subier of the Seven Heroes once the storm hits the Longit Sea, which is what I had been trying to do on my first playthrough.

However, going for the potion wasn’t a big waste of time. From gathering the ingredients I managed to recruit the Nereids, which are water spirits from Lake Aqua in the western half of the world, and after going south from Atlanticus I completed two parts of the Maze of Memory (which is new content for this remake) and recruited the new classes, the Ninja and the Diviner. Got the Ninja on my first playthrough but could never beat the boss for the Diviner, so happy to have them in my ranks of allies along with the Nereids.

Found the hero Noel hiding out in the desert. Went to the desert town with different towers in it and freed them from the monsters controlling them. Turns out they were working for Noel and the monster boss spilled the beans they were working for Noel in the first place. The desert territory joined the Empire and the citizens told me of a lake that granted eternal life. I had found the lake on my first playthrough but wasn’t able to do anything with it (other than my characters saying the water seemed suspicious), so I left it and never thought anything of it. Seems the lake moves around too, as I had found it at the desert entrance the first time but the second time I found it in the southern exit...weird.

Anyway, finding the lake again I found Noel was in the small underground building in that area, but unlike the others he seemed to be a friendly guy. He flat out said he was offended by the monsters attacking the desert town and wanted to deal with them himself but was distracted by people stuck at the lake. I ended up going after him due to his influence over the desert, and man, he was a tough fight. He can use his turns to counter physical attacks, so while I did have a team that was built around physical damage I was able to chip away at his health.

Beating him did open up a new ally for me to recruit, the Desert Guard unit. I was also able to build the University in Avalon, so hopefully I can go after Bokhohn in the next generation since I will have the Strategist.

• Like 1

After taking care of the Volcano island (for the first event) I jumped to the next generation once it joined the Empire. So with that...

spacer.png

A lot of events opened up once I began this generation. Was told the volcano was on the brink of exploding, the Armed Merchants were in a civil war, the bridge I built south of Avalon was destroyed...lots of stuff sure did happen. Took care of everything and the Armed Merchants officially joined the empire, and found the culprit who destroyed the bridge. Both events have ties to the hero Subier, so I’m hoping he’ll be the next target.

For now though, I’m going after the hero Bokhohn since I have the Strategist game in my party.

...well, apparently beating Bokhohn shot me into the next generation, so...

spacer.png

Gonna start this generation tomorrow. We’re down to 3 heroes remaining: Subier, Rocbouquet, and Wagnas. Since I was able to choose an Empress this time I’m probably going to go after Rocbouquet.

Well getting to Rocbouquet was annoying. With an all female party she was super easy to take down, but the dungeons leading up to her were the real challenge. But I’ve defeated her and with it, a new territory joined the Empire and a new leader has appeared for the people...

spacer.png

Turns out that way at the beginning of the game, the character you name becomes the Final Emperor or Empress. From what the Gypsy woman Orieve told me, it seems that the inheritance spell first used by Emperor Leon has run its course, thus making your created character the final Emperor/Empress of Avalon.

Unfortunately, that’s not the only news she had to tell me upon starting the generation. It seems as though the Seven Heroes are still a threat, including the ones I’ve already defeated! Apparently as long as one of them survives they can continue to revive themselves indefinitely, which means that the two I haven’t beaten (Subier and Wagnas) are responsible for Kzinssie, the first hero you fight, to reappear in the world. Sounds like Orieve knows a way to permanently defeat the Seven Heroes once and for all, but all in good time.

I’m getting excited the end is near. Yeah I had to use the NG+ feature to help myself out, but  I’ve found my knowledge from my first playthrough really helped me out on where you can go and what you can try and do. The extra strength has helped, but I’ve had numerous times where the enemy has put me at wits end. The finale is in sight, and I hope I can beat the game once and for all soon!

• 1 month later...

Well, being an indecisive son of a gun for picking a game to play right now has paid off. I booted up Romancing SaGa 2 again this afternoon and have found the location of the last two Heroes I need to defeat. Wagnas is in a castle to the Far East (but surprisingly not where I thought it would be going by context clues the game was giving) and Subier was hiding out in the far south in the frozen sea. I tracked down Subier and killed him off (though I had trouble figuring out where to leave from in order to reach the ocean he was being in) and now I’m off to fight Wagnas now that I’ve finished the current event in the territory he’s controlling.

I also managed to recruit a special character, the Automaton Coppelia. She’s the “greatest invention of the Hiraga family,” according to her inventor, and he’s not lying. She has a whopping 99 Life Points, and is pretty proficient in all weapon types and resistances. Unfortunately you can’t directly control her (at least I don’t THINK you can, maybe there’s something that let’s you in an optional dungeon or something) but I’ve just changed her skill set to have nothing but attacking skills so she should be fine.

I’m gonna finish this god damn game.

• Like 1

Well, all Seven Heroes have been defeated! I like how Wagnas took half of his dungeon and flew off with it, so I had to use one of Hiraga’s inventions to chase him down. No escaping the dungeon, so it was a one shot attempt. Thankfully managed to get through it and was able to go to town on Wagnas thanks to spell Saint Fire I obtained. It does a lot of damage against demonic enemies, and thankfully Wagnas counted.

I thought this meant I could go and find the final dungeon...but then TERMITES! AGAIN! Apparently the termites from an earlier point came back for revenge, and...many vulgar words later, that was a tough scenario. Each enemy encounter had a really strong enemy termite (called Termite Battlers) and I ended up just spamming my insta-kill attacks from particular weapons just because there were so many encounters! I got to the queen after having trouble finding the den entrance and I nearly screwed myself over because I forgot to use items to replenish my skill points. Thankfully had strong enough magic to deal with the queen once I ran out of SP, and managed to save Avalon.

Once that was done, I went back to the throne room and was told by an informant that monsters were gathering in the far south within the snow fields. At last, I found the entrance to the final dungeon! The end of the game is in sight at long last!!!!

• Like 1

#$*!ing Christ on a bike, I completely screwed myself over. I reached the end of the final dungeon and mistakenly saved after a point of no return, and I CAN’T BEAT THE FINAL BOSS. I’ve tried so many different strategies but I just can’t keep up with the final boss. It’s a good idea for a fight, but that #$*!ing Tidal Wave attack! God damn it.

So now I’m going back to a save from 5 hours before and am going to attempt to repeat all the progress I lose because of it. I’m pretty pissed about all this, as I finally thought I was going to have the game done with today. #$*! #$*! #$*! #$*! FUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Wagnas is dead again and now I have to deal with the stupid termites. This part wouldn’t be so bad if every random encounter didn’t have the Termite Battler enemy. God, I’m now at the point I’m just stubbornly playing. I want to finish this stupid god damn game, and I’m going to do it one way or another.

• Like 1

Well, I’ve gotten back up to where I have completed all the content I lost from my saving mistakes, have done A LOT of extra grinding for weapon skills and combination spells, and, most importantly, just taken my time doing all of this instead of trying to bum rush towards the end like I did last week. I got to starry eyed about trying to finish the game that I was not being smart.

I don’t know if I’ll have the game beaten tonight...but I feel like the end is in sight. I’ve done A LOT more work to get myself prepared for the final boss and dungeon, and I hope and pray that I will finally beat Romancing Saga 2 at long last.

• Like 1

IT’S FINALLY DONE!!!!!!!

spacer.png

Oh my god, I cannot believe I FINALLY beat the game!!! Man, this has been a year in the making! The final battle was so much easier to deal with thanks to the extra grinding and skill unlocking I did!

Damn, this game was such a rollarcoaster, but I absolutely loved it even when I hated it. Thanks to this title I may have discovered one of my new favorite franchises, and with Romancing SaGa 2 finally done I can move on to the other games!

Guess now @Plattym3it’s 2 to 1 on race victories. 🤣

• Like 1

Congratulations on that! It may be 2-1, but that one should earn you a couple bonus points (I give none haha).

I completed my own game tonight. Thought I'd give it a try for the Sidequest episode we did and ended up going through 37.5 hours and beating it. Even pulling the PS4 out of mothball to do so!

Boom went the boss! c59852398482c8fcd4293e0b3ee612d2.jpg