The SaGa of 2 Twinsies Romancing

The frustration is rising. I'm now close to 11 hours and I have no clue what's going on. I did restart Generation 3 to get the heir I wanted. Accidentally recruited some #$*! mage and had to wait for her to die to switch her out. I can see why people bounce off this series. I'm starting to feel it and my day a couple of days off to get over annoyances.

1. I can fast travel to a place on the other side of the world, but I can't fast travel back.
2. Can't switch out party members. Gotta wait for them to completely die before changing.
3. Generations change after a few tasks, but without notice.
4. Dude just asked me about building a bridge, I said yes, buh-bye a million $, thanks for the heads up, game.
5. My reset count is over 20. Haven't learned a new skill in forever.

Took 2 nights for all these issues to come up. Maybe 2 nights away will help. It's not like I know where to go or what the #$*! to do now anyway.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like she’s happy you became part of her world.

Well, we played with TiTs. I was WAY more into that initially (insert many jokes@eal), I think@YangustheLegendaryBandit went back a year later and finished, but 2017 was my year for that!   2018 was t

Sounds like a plan. I think it’s going to be like what happened with Bloodborne. I had reached the point where you defeat a major boss named Rom the Vacuous Spider. Boss fight was difficult, but it fe

Posted Images

Sounds like you’re having a wonderful time with the game. 🤪

I haven’t played it as much as you at this point, but I’m still enjoying my time with it despite the frustrations I’ve come across. I know this comparison isn’t liked, but it’s kind of the same draw I have for Dark Souls/Bloodborne: it’s tough and can feel unfair sometimes, but there’s something that keeps drawing you back and then suddenly everything clicks. You can accidentally screw up a quest line or have new encounters you didn’t know about.

I like it. I’m hoping to play more this weekend. Gonna be busy tomorrow and part of Saturday but I’m hoping Sunday I can kick back and not get interrupted for a good play session with the game.

Man, you guys are going fast. I'll try to keep up with your posts! :)

A couple of comments so far:

On 12/11/2019 at 1:43 AM, Plattym3 said:

Damn, it's going to be annoying each generation to pick a new party, outfit such party, get all the equipment out of storage and then teach all the skills to all the new people. Whew. That's a ton of time.

Yeah, biggest issue of the game. 😕 Didn't ruin anything for me, and you get used to it over time. I kind of enjoy the recurring part where you go out in the world to put together a new rag-tag team based on allies you've made in previous generations. I probably didn't make the most "optimized" decisions, but that doesn't matter. I prefer focusing on the worldbuilding.
Really, only relearning magic spells and managing inventory (mostly armor) was a bother to me - the interface could have beena bit more effecient.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:06 PM, Plattym3 said:

Just about to infiltrate the southern fortress. Found out how to do so without paying to get in. Freaking long way to do that. Thinking I'll be definitely picking someone with more magic in the 2nd chapter to see if it stays OP or new weapons/skills open up that make it more even.

Weapon skills are at least as effective as magic most of the way, but stick to magic if you want to stay truly OP by the end of the game... that's all I'm going to tell. :) It's a good idea to branch out across the elements, too. Although any spell will level up a characters individual magic skill level, using the more powerful spells will help your magic research facility better.

Edited by Sumez

On 12/11/2019 at 10:42 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I screwed myself out of being able to recruit a new character type, the Brawler. Apparently I went a little overboard on the Fiend’s Cloister dungeon and killed the enemies further in the cave than I should have, as the boss of the Brawlers only wanted me to kill the slime that was giving his men trouble.

Don't worry too hard about this. Going in blind you'll miss out on a bunch of potential events of the game, but it's this dynamic structure that I love about it. You'll find plenty of other great allies.
Personally I never found the thieves' guild.

That said, I'm a little confused. I did what you described, and just cleared out the dungeon, and they joined me just fine afterwards.

On 12/12/2019 at 6:33 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Damn, was that dungeon kind of rough. Maybe it’s because of my party and/or skills but some battles were just more trouble than they were worth. Par for the course with SaGa games I’m sure, but it was fun. Definitely a number of “Oh crap oh crap oh crap,” moments!

I think there's a moment shortly after the surprisingly dead-easy first parts of the game where it suddenly turns super hard. But as long as you keep trying to evolve your characters rather than run from every battle, you'll make it up soon enough. I don't really know if this is true, but it also feels to me like every time you pick a new successor (even from a party wipe), your next team will always be a little stronger.

23 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Apparently I missed out on doing a huge Cumberland Civil War scenario.

Aw, that's one of my favourite scenarios, and the first one I did, while still playing as Gerard. Felt very DQ-like that one. How did it play out in your game then? I assume you are still able to include the region into your empire?

5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

1. I can fast travel to a place on the other side of the world, but I can't fast travel back.

As long as you can get back to the map screen, you can fast travel back just fine? I love how expanding your empire gives you more travel routes progressively.

Edited by Sumez

You take a boat over the east ocean from your starting country. The towns in Cumberland are called something else I can't remember.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

I'm told it's Minister Cryfreet

Ooh. Interesting... :P

Edited by Sumez

Whoa, I don't remember seeing that ever?

Well, I've never witnessed a Cyfreet-governed Cumberland either, so it could be that? Might also be any other scenario that's played out differently than mine though.

Edited by Sumez
Whoa, I don't remember seeing that ever?
Well, I've never witnessed a Cyfreet-governed Cumberland either, so it could be that? Might also be any other scenario that's played out differently than mine though.
Ah, so that's likely it. I never took that boat in the first 2 generations and that's 1 of the 2 towns I missed. I'd gone far south and far west in the 2nd generation
12 hours ago, Sumez said:

Don't worry too hard about this. Going in blind you'll miss out on a bunch of potential events of the game, but it's this dynamic structure that I love about it. You'll find plenty of other great allies.
Personally I never found the thieves' guild.

That said, I'm a little confused. I did what you described, and just cleared out the dungeon, and they joined me just fine afterwards.

They attacked me once I came back from the cave. I killed the gargoyles further in the cave once I killed the slime, and when I went back to talk to the boss he was mad. I was able to choose the Brawler of Generation 2 as one of my heirs, so maybe i did recruit them just in a show of strength way instead? I’ll have to see if I can recruit one at their dojo once I can recruit another character.

The Thieves Guild was one I came across by chance. Heard about the rumor in town and went about exploring. Found the house you can climb up to the roof of and found an empty room with a chest in the castle. At one point I slept at the castle and found I could move around in the middle of the night. Went exploring and went up to the roofs again and started the Thief Guild recruitment from that. The thieves helped me through the fortress once I helped them and my current heir in generation 2 is one of the Thieves you can recruit.

• Like 1

Interesting. I feel I've opened maybe 3 other classes but never see them to recruit or as heirs choices. Damn.

I wonder if I've not talked to them enough. They do say something along the lines of letting them know if I want their help.

18 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Interesting. I feel I've opened maybe 3 other classes but never see them to recruit or as heirs choices. Damn.

I wonder if I've not talked to them enough. They do say something along the lines of letting them know if I want their help.

For the thieves guild you have to go down into their base below Avalon to recruit one into the party at the start of a generation/if someone dies off. I’m guessing for the Brawler you have to go to the Dragon Lair area where they train and speak to the leader to recruit the next one, and for the Armed Merchants you need to go to the town of Nuvuo (or however it’s spelled) and can recruit one there.

Its good to know that you can get to Cumberland from the Solom port. I was thinking I had to sail to Atlanticus from the town the Armed Merchants control and then that would lead me to Cumberland.

@Plattym3 maybe you got so far off course because you sailed to Atlanticus? Could explain your huge side trip in the 2nd generation.

For the thieves guild you have to go down into their base below Avalon to recruit one into the party at the start of a generation/if someone dies off. I’m guessing for the Brawler you have to go to the Dragon Lair area where they train and speak to the leader to recruit the next one, and for the Armed Merchants you need to go to the town of Nuvuo (or however it’s spelled) and can recruit one there.
Its good to know that you can get to Cumberland from the Solom port. I was thinking I had to sail to Atlanticus from the town the Armed Merchants control and then that would lead me to Cumberland.
[mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention] maybe you got so far off course because you sailed to Atlanticus? Could explain your huge side trip in the 2nd generation.

I DID sail there. Totally remember the Atlanticus name!
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

I DID sail there. emoji848.png Totally remember the Atlanticus name!

Guess I now know NOT to go that way if I want to get to Cumberland! Haha

Thanks Twinsie. I was wondering why the enemies at the first town I sailed too seemed a little tough. The town I sailed to (I can’t remember the name but I’m thinking it was Tona; the other option was Atlanticus) had a small area I could explore on the cliff side and while I got the Sea Bird Nest item there the enemies were rather strong. Lost an LP or two for a few characters.

Guess I’m glad I found that boat on the water over in Solom. Now I know where to go next time I boot up the game!

• Like 1

Finished up the Cumberland scenario finally. Took 2-3 hours easily.

Had to go to a castle with only ghosts.
Had to plug a hole under the great wall.
Had to fight my way to free a ghost.
Had to kill Dobby the House Elf.
Had to reunite some ghost bros.
Had to fight through a well-defended fort to get Cyfreet.

Whew. Now I'm a bit unsure what to do. My ministers have nothing to tell me. 92cd1a4a4ec31bf599f22fa489659a36.jpg8b5fe7a74f520d2c12b9900cf077b497.jpg

Stupid ass Mu herders.  Took care of their scenario finally.  This page helped http://thaao.net/playdiaries/romasaga2/?scn=Emperor&chp=crow4 because I went through that damn South Oublette place twice and never fought a boss.  Finally figured it out.  Fast Forward another 144ish years and now I'm onto Generation 4.  #$*!ing problems at the mine are cutting my revenue in half, so back there I guess!

Emperor Capricorn shall have to deal with this.

@YangustheLegendaryBandit how many battles have you fought?  I'm at 547.

Edited by Plattym3
6 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Had to kill Dobby the House Elf.

I thought you always had a bit of a Bellatrix LeStrange essence to you....you heartless monster!

8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

@YangustheLegendaryBandit how many battles have you fought?  I'm at 547.

Somewhere between 160 to no where near as many as you. Honestly I have not played much this week since I was sick for the first half of it and barely wanted to do anything and the second half (including today) I’ve been busy with work and other things.

I’m hoping I can actually get some playtime in tonight and most of tomorrow.

• Like 1

I keep fearing I'm not balancing battling & going back to the blacksmith to make new weapons enough.  I found a new spear like 3X better than my best one and suddenly learned about 5 new techniques in the next 10 battles.  I'm spending my money on the BIG things like orchards and universities. Hope that doesn't bite me later.

Little bit of trivia for you Platty:

I was going through my music on my iPod and came across the soundtrack for Legend of Legacy. Looked through the music list and found that Avalon is the name of the country where the game takes place in. I totally forgot about that, so that was a surprise shoutout towards Romancing SaGa 2 to discover.

I was going through my music on my iPod and came across the soundtrack for Legend of Legacy. Looked through the music list and found that Avalon is the name of the country where the game takes place in. I totally forgot about that, so that was a surprise shoutout towards Romancing SaGa 2 to discover.
Well, that's surprising. Or maybe not really. Cool though!
4 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Well, that's surprising. Or maybe not really. Cool though!

I figure it was done in reference to Avalon from RS2. Could be coincidence, but Legend of Legacy was like a spiritual successor when SaGa was all but dormant. I could see the devs wanting to reference the series that inspired Legend of Legacy since some folks from the SaGa series helped make the game.

I’m not sure if the series creator helped make Legend of Legacy and Alliance Alive, so I may have to look into that. I do know some RPG veterans have worked on those games though, such as the creator and writer for the Suikoden series doing the story for Alliance Alive.

• Like 1