The SaGa of 2 Twinsies Romancing

Got 90 or so minutes in this morning. Died. A lot. Reset. Died. Yikes, this game pulls no punches. Well, I mean I do since I haven't used the punch attack, but, well, it's been interesting. Pretty sure my archer is gonna be the first permadeath.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like she’s happy you became part of her world.

Well, we played with TiTs. I was WAY more into that initially (insert many jokes@eal), I think@YangustheLegendaryBandit went back a year later and finished, but 2017 was my year for that!   2018 was t

Sounds like a plan. I think it’s going to be like what happened with Bloodborne. I had reached the point where you defeat a major boss named Rom the Vacuous Spider. Boss fight was difficult, but it fe

Posted Images

I can neither confirm no deny that I got in a little bit more today so far. Rumor has it that there was more death. I'm imagining that Gérard Depardieu is my hero as he seems like a do-nothing much of the first part of the game.  Something bad just happened, but pretty sure it was supposed to happen, so... love my new clothes! Finally Gérard doesn't look like a weak busboy anymore.

image.png

I finally started the game this evening. I like the ominous opening for the game and an overview of some of the lands of the game. The latter part of the opening with the 7 human monstrosities flying past makes me think the heroes became corrupted at some point, perhaps becoming more of a curse than a blessing if they return.

I’m already digging the music. The sound chip/font/whatever the correct term would be is the exact same one used for Final Fantasy IV’s original SNES soundtrack, and IMO its one of the best sound formats the SNES was able to pull off. What few songs I’ve heard do a good job setting the mood, and the battle theme is a good, bombastic song.

No doubt it’s because of the age of the game, but I’m liking the old school RPG feel the game has. The mysterious circumstances the game already has had me curious to see what waits ahead.

I joked with Platty the game must have a Dark Souls vibe because of how tough it gets, but honestly I think the Dark Souls vibe comes from how the game presents itself. Maybe From Software/Hidetaki Miyazaki took some inspiration from the SaGa games when it came to crafting the world and story of the Dark Souls games, but it’s perhaps too early to fully judge that. This is all initial impressions after all.

• Like 1

More time tonight & more to go. Picked up a magic user because, damn, magic is OP so far. Haven't really hit and new skills for an hour, but no need. Fireball hits always for 100+. Weapons hit maybe 70% of the time. Arrows are less. But magic is always. And there seem to be a lot of monsters that are pretty much immune to physical attacks. Fireball away!

I love how when you are affected by the blind status it just puts a black censor bar over that character’s eyes. There’s something oddly funny about that.

Progress wise I’m after the man who killed Prince Viktor. The Watchman cave was kind of tough and I had to do a few resets, but it was mainly due to the zombie enemies. Why is it zombie/undead enemies always seem so difficult in RPGs?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

I'm really looking forward to hearing how every single individual scenario played out in each of your games! (and even just which scenarios managed to play out). Really, nothing is given in this game, in terms of where you'll end up finding yourself, and what goes on in the world as a result.

Spare no details!

Edited by Sumez
3 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I'm really looking forward to hearing how every single individual scenario played out in each of your games! (and even just which scenarios managed to play out). Really, nothing is given in this game, in terms of where you'll end up finding yourself, and what goes on in the world as a result.

Spare no details!

Think I'm pretty much done with everything in the first chapter.  So far my thoughts:

1. Win battle, save, lose battle, load, repeat. Yep, always be saving.

2. Fire magic is OP that first chapter, by a long shot.

3. I think I'm going to finish the first chapter with 0 permadeaths, yay!  But just only.  I think my archer has 2 or 3 LP left and I should be close to the end.

Spoiler

Just about to infiltrate the southern fortress. Found out how to do so without paying to get in. Freaking long way to do that. Thinking I'll be definitely picking someone with more magic in the 2nd chapter to see if it stays OP or new weapons/skills open up that make it more even.

I’m on year 1001. Before going after Knizzes (or however it’s spelled) I took on the optional goblin dungeon the game gave me the choice to go after. It helped level up my 5th guy who can use healing and wind magic, and the rematch with Kniz was an easy win.

Now Gerard is a big boy with his fancy golden armor. He grew up so fast... 😥

• Like 1
I’m on year 1001. Before going after Knizzes (or however it’s spelled) I took on the optional goblin dungeon the game gave me the choice to go after. It helped level up my 5th guy who can use healing and wind magic, and the rematch with Kniz was an easy win.
Now Gerard is a big boy with his fancy golden armor. He grew up so fast...
What!? You had a healer the 1st generation? Damnit!

I've jumped forward to 1172. Picked a female mage heir. So far, so good. You know, like all 20 minutes of it. Damn, it's going to be annoying each generation to pick a new party, outfit such party, get all the equipment out of storage and then teach all the skills to all the new people. Whew. That's a ton of time.
18 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

What!? You had a healer the 1st generation? Damnit!

I've jumped forward to 1172. Picked a female mage heir. So far, so good. You know, like all 20 minutes of it. Damn, it's going to be annoying each generation to pick a new party, outfit such party, get all the equipment out of storage and then teach all the skills to all the new people. Whew. That's a ton of time.

Yeah. There’s a blue haired mage you can recruit on the first floor of the castle and he has water healing magic.

I’m glad you can get equipment out of storage. I was afraid I was going to lose Emperor Leon’s gear and luckily it was in the storage. So Gerard was able to have a stronger long sword and got the benefit of his dad’s mastery. I can see where having to re-equip a full party would be a little annoying though.

• Like 1
Yeah. There’s a blue haired mage you can recruit on the first floor of the castle and he has water healing magic.
I’m glad you can get equipment out of storage. I was afraid I was going to lose Emperor Leon’s gear and luckily it was in the storage. So Gerard was able to have a stronger long sword and got the benefit of his dad’s mastery. I can see where having to re-equip a full party would be a little annoying though.
Yeah, apparently nothing gets lost between time jumps. Skills are available to relearn for free from dudes in the castle. Weapons are all safe in the storage. What's funny is something good old Phil complained about on a podcast from a year ago... the NPCs. They pretty much don't change from time period to time period. As he put it, "I met a lady in one city that was anxiously waiting for her sons to return home. A few hours and a 100 years later I go back to that town and the same lady is still waiting for the same kids. Took me right out of the feel of the game." Can't say that'll bother me, but man there's so much to strategize when you make the leap to a new generation. Who's going to get which weapons and which skills. Interesting & time consuming all at the same time. Next jump I'm planning to actually write it all down, what my 10 best weapons are and who should get what skills, since I'm guessing this isn't like DQVI where someone could basically have an infinite number of abilities.
6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

"I met a lady in one city that was anxiously waiting for her sons to return home. A few hours and a 100 years later I go back to that town and the same lady is still waiting for the same kids. Took me right out of the feel of the game." Can't say that'll bother me, but man there's so much to strategize when you make the leap to a new generation.

See, I can get where that would draw you out of the experience. But I find that hilarious. Clearly she’s an immortal woman who doesn’t realize how much time has passed!

Really though, that sounds more like a sign of the times when that game came out. NPCs repeating the same dialogue. It is funny they repeat stuff in a game all about passing generations, but still, I get how it would be distracting.

See, I can get where that would draw you out of the experience. But I find that hilarious. Clearly she’s an immortal woman who doesn’t realize how much time has passed!
Really though, that sounds more like a sign of the times when that game came out. NPCs repeating the same dialogue. It is funny they repeat stuff in a game all about passing generations, but still, I get how it would be distracting.
Exactly. SNES carts were what, 8MB? Something like that. Listening to so many SaGa podcasts recently, I learned Romancing SaGa 1 was a sliced up mess. They had these 7 or 8 orbs you were supposed to get, but 3 weren't in the game. And entire scenarios were cut. I mean, having new NPCs with new dialog every generation (and the world map looks HUGE, so I'm guessing we'll see a lot of cities, albeit they're pretty small) is just something that wouldn't have worked back then. They're no "Trails of..." game in terms of NPC lines. Haha!

Sumez wanted no details spared, so here's what happened.  I was making progress in chapter/generation/whatever #2, beat a boss or two, spent $1,000,000 to start a magic school and a ton on an orchard or whatever (it seems to have 1 tree).  Then I saw that this plateau opened to the south.  It was a long place, but when I popped out the southern part of it, I was at a new zone, with a tiny town.  That town someone mentioned going East.  That opened a new area with a new place with a boat.  Took the boat.  Went to a place with a cliff where I found a nest.  Great, got nest. Why?  Who knows, it was there.  Then went to another city by boat.  It has something to do with mermaids... maybe?  It was neat because it actually turned night there slowly.  Just kept going East.  Found a cave with a witch who sold me a potion to regain LP, which opened a new zone.  Went futher East.  Found a desert that was quite either nice battles or ones I'd get party wipes in, no in-between.  Somehow popped out in a couple different new zones from there.  One was completely empty, guess I'll go back there later.  The other had... another city.  Went in, there was a tower with a bad dude in it.  Didn't seem like a good idea, so I left.  Now I've managed to reach some sort of jungle.  Enemies aren't too bad here, I can survive fine.  That's where I left off this morning, far from home, far from having a clue what to do.

So, it's been a few days, and I'm curious about you guys' thoughts so far. I've only ever played the first Romancing SaGa (which I did greatly enjoy, even if learning techs could be iffy at times), and I want to know if I'd like 2 or 3 as well.

7 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

So, it's been a few days, and I'm curious about you guys' thoughts so far. I've only ever played the first Romancing SaGa (which I did greatly enjoy, even if learning techs could be iffy at times), and I want to know if I'd like 2 or 3 as well.

I'm around 8.5 hours into it.  It's... interesting.  Here's the thing though: I really enjoyed 2 other games inspired by this:

1. Legend of Legacy - it was great until the end.  I had a horrible time on the final boss.  Could get to the final boss's 2nd form, but couldn't win.  All strategies I saw involved tons of skills I never learned.  5 hours of grinding for skills later... never learned any of them.  Sold the game & it left a bad taste.
  2. Alliance Alive - it was great and got better near the end.  This one was so damn enjoyable.  I went in knowing I should find points where I could grind for stats or skills and did so from time to time.  The damn thing was so great near the end I started around 11pm one night and stayed up past 4am beating it, even though I lost to the final boss a couple times, I had the skills, just needed a little better strategy.  LOVED IT, besides DQXI, best game of 2018.

So, that said, I'm enjoying Romancing SaGa 2 well enough.  I've probably had 15ish party wipes and have hit reset after bad battles at least twice as much as well.  I'm enjoying the exploration and finding those places I can grind for skills and stats a bit.  I can see where LoL and AA come from with this one and it makes me both want to laugh out loud and join a 12-step program :tounge:.  I'm looking to add some games to my hacked Vita in the next couple weeks and I've already put SaGa 1-3 and SaGa Frontier 1 & 2 on my list to find and install.  I'm not one really to overly challenge myself much in games, but there's something about these kind of games that I really do like!

20 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

What platform did you play Romancing SaGa on?  Translated SNES?  Or PS2?

God damn it. I screwed myself out of being able to recruit a new character type, the Brawler. Apparently I went a little overboard on the Fiend’s Cloister dungeon and killed the enemies further in the cave than I should have, as the boss of the Brawlers only wanted me to kill the slime that was giving his men trouble. Apparently killing the monsters further in was a no-no, because when I went back to talk to him he fought me, and looking up some info after that I found out you SHOULDN’T do that because I was super confused why the head of the Brawlers didn’t thank me for dealing with the slime monster.

And I had already saved once I beat the monsters....

Damn it. 😤

Welp, guess I have to make a back up save now every time I want to do something. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I’m in the next generation (Year 1194) with my unfortunately named female descendant, Beaver.

Managed to recruit the Thief Guild and added two more land areas to the Empire. Built an orchard I can’t seem to access and am hoping I’ll be able to build a magic school like I was able to at one point.

• Like 1
I’m in the next generation (Year 1194) with my unfortunately named female descendant, Beaver.
Managed to recruit the Thief Guild and added two more land areas to the Empire. Built an orchard I can’t seem to access and am hoping I’ll be able to build a magic school like I was able to at one point.
Haha, I so wanted to pick Beaver, but went with the mage Onyx because I wanted more magic!

To talk to the chancellor again to do public works walk onto the throne repeatedly & after a while he'll show up. Not sure you can do a 2nd public work in the same generation, but try!
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Haha, I so wanted to pick Beaver, but went with the mage Onyx because I wanted more magic!

That’s lame. Two beavers are better than one!

Edited by eal
51 minutes ago, eal said:

That’s lame. Two beavers are better than one!

See @Plattym3. Eal gets it.

Finally got my orchard completed. It only took the people of Avalon 191 years to finish the job I paid for, but hey, I got my orchard.

I recruited the Arms Merchants into my service after helping deal with the mine full of monsters. Damn, was that dungeon kind of rough. Maybe it’s because of my party and/or skills but some battles were just more trouble than they were worth. Par for the course with SaGa games I’m sure, but it was fun. Definitely a number of “Oh crap oh crap oh crap,” moments! The Water Faerie monsters were the scariest ones to run into by far though thanks to their AoE ice attack. Now THAT hurt. 🥶

Hopefully I’ll be able to build the magic school soon. I’m just under 200,000 crowns away from being able to build it, so maybe I’ll have to go off and fight monsters and see if my kingdom generates some extra cash or see if I can sell off some stuff to get some extra money.

Finally got my orchard completed. It only took the people of Avalon 191 years to finish the job I paid for, but hey, I got my orchard.
I recruited the Arms Merchants into my service after helping deal with the mine full of monsters. Damn, was that dungeon kind of rough. Maybe it’s because of my party and/or skills but some battles were just more trouble than they were worth. Par for the course with SaGa games I’m sure, but it was fun. Definitely a number of “Oh crap oh crap oh crap,” moments! The Water Faerie monsters were the scariest ones to run into by far though thanks to their AoE ice attack. Now THAT hurt.

Hopefully I’ll be able to build the magic school soon. I’m just under 200,000 crowns away from being able to build it, so maybe I’ll have to go off and fight monsters and see if my kingdom generates some extra cash or see if I can sell off some stuff to get some extra money.
From what I understand, the one advisor next to the throne room tells you what the income level is of the kingdom. He says "we have income of 10,000 gold" or so. That's how much your treasury goes up each battle.

So I've defeated this large Termite Queen, got my first permadeath of the game for a party member, but in doing so finished off generation/chapter #2. Wasn't too thrilled with choices of heirs for generation #3. Apparently I missed out on doing a huge Cumberland Civil War scenario. Hmmmm, unsure to continue or reload before the Termite Queen.
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

From what I understand, the one advisor next to the throne room tells you what the income level is of the kingdom. He says "we have income of 10,000 gold" or so. That's how much your treasury goes up each battle.

So I've defeated this large Termite Queen, got my first permadeath of the game for a party member, but in doing so finished off generation/chapter #2. Wasn't too thrilled with choices of heirs for generation #3. Apparently I missed out on doing a huge Cumberland Civil War scenario. Hmmmm, unsure to continue or reload before the Termite Queen.

Yeah, I’ve seen that it grows as I’ve fought battles and helped take care of different situations. Helping with the jewel mine helped raise my money income by a fair bit. I’m just thinking it will probably take a number of battles for money to be raised for the treasury. It seems like a lot of in game events, such as building new areas and new armor/weapons, comes about by fighting so many battles.

I guess I’ll have to go and take care of the Cumberland area before it’s too late. Now that I’m done helping the Armed Merchants I thought about heading to that area next. Better make sure I don’t go too off course like you did. 😉