Plattym3

The SaGa of 2 Twinsies Romancing

Well, we played with TiTs. I was WAY more into that initially (insert many jokes@eal), I think@YangustheLegendaryBandit went back a year later and finished, but 2017 was my year for that!

2018 was the year I noped out of Suikoden, and my Twinsie was 216% into it beating both of the first two entries!

2019 shall be the year maybe both of us fall in love at the same time! It'll be a little bit before our SaGa begins, but we now both have Romancing SaGa 2 on Vita/Switch so the possibility does indeed exist!

• Like 1

Serious comment before we get too into joking/the competition: does anyone know why the series (or at least the SNES games maybe?) are called Romancing SaGa? The series itself is called the SaGa series, but I’ve never known why exactly it’s called Romancing SaGa. I doubt it has to due with any actual romance since everywhere I’ve seen the games discussed never mentions it.

I don’t know how many other people who have played the games will know, but if anyone truthfully knows why the games are called that I’d appreciate an answer.

Good Question. No clue, but I'm about to put those in the Q & A for a podcast I've done. They all love that series.

The word “Romance” can also refer to a tale of sweeping legend with lots of interpersonal aspects to the story. Similar to Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I’ve never played any of the Romancing SaGa games but I assume that they contain characters in a sweeping story that spans continents, what with them being RPGs and all. The sci-fi version of this is called a “space opera.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eal said:

The word “Romance” can also refer to a tale of sweeping legend with lots of interpersonal aspects to the story. Similar to Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I’ve never played any of the Romancing SaGa games but I assume that they contain characters in a sweeping story that spans continents, what with them being RPGs and all. The sci-fi version of this is called a “space opera.”

See, I wondered if it was using Romance in the style of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. From my understanding all SaGa games are light on story but give you some context and explanation/backstory as you travel the game world. It’s sort of like how in Dark Souls you learn more about the background of certain areas or people if you choose to find it, rather than the game shoving answers down your throat with lots and lots of text.

I guess we’ll find out once Platty and I start playing!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Funny Response: so since we'll be playing a game set in medieval times, would ours be considered a Non-Soap Opera?

Serious Response: makes sense, thanks!
See, I wondered if it was using Romance in the style of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. From my understanding all SaGa games are light on story but give you some context and explanation as you travel the game world. It’s sort of like how in Dark Souls you learn more about the background of certain areas or people if you choose to find it, rather than the game shoving answers down your throat with lots and lots of text.
So wait, it's the Dark Souls of SNES JRPGs?

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Funny Response: so since we'll be playing a game set in medieval times, would ours be considered a Non-Soap Opera?

Serious Response: makes sense, thanks! So wait, it's the Dark Souls of SNES JRPGs?

Haha, no. That’s 7th Saga.

But that joke aside, that’s just the impression I’ve gotten. It’s probably because Dark Souls is the best thing I can compare it to from what games I’ve played that don’t involve the story as the central focus.

Maybe the adventure of the game is one where you the player has to ultimately decide what fate you take. Do you do the expected, or do you create a new route for yourself.

• Like 1

Haha, no. That’s 7th Saga.
*sigh*

I loved that game. Seriously it was the only RPG I brought to college. So many times I struggled, but beat it. Good memories.

Just now, Plattym3 said:

*sigh*

I loved that game. Seriously it was the only RPG I brought to college. So many times I struggled, but beat it. Good memories.

To be clear I wasn’t bashing the game. I’d like to play it, but I’ve seen and heard many times how difficult it gets.

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

They taught us Romanticism vs. Realism in my Junior English class. And they say you don’t remember anything from school!

To be clear I wasn’t bashing the game. I’d like to play it, but I’ve seen and heard many times how difficult it gets.
It's absolutely #$*!ing rediculous. I'd never play it again. The only reason I likely beat it is becuase it was the only one I had. Haha, any port in the storm!

I've been playing this game on/off for the last couple of weeks (interspersed with the new God of War), and I'm now fully into it. There's a lot of weird stuff that you kinda have to "get into", and re-outfitting a brand new party every now and then never stops being tedious - but once you get over that, well, I'm willing to call Romancing SaGa 2 a straight up masterpiece. The game is amazing, and does a ton of stuff I'd wish more games calling themselves "RPGs" would do.

It's just an absolutely wonderful world to lose yourself in. It keeps evolving as the generations pass, and there's always something new to discover, and a ton of things you probably missed. I wholly recommend going in blind - You might miss out on a lot of potential minor storylines, but it really adds to the sprawling dynamic of the game world. Especially if the two of you are going to coordinate your playthrough, I can foresee a lot of talking back and forth about how certain events played out completely different in each of your scenarios, of how you end up running into and fighting some of the "seven heroes" at completely different points in the story.

7 hours ago, eal said:

That's how I understood its meaning too, and Romancing SaGa 2 probably fits this better than the other two in the subseries, what with the whole generation-spanning story of an expanding empire.

Btw here are a few things I think are worth knowing before starting. These are central gameplay mechanics, and I'd think most other things are best discovered on your own:

Spoiler
  1. Every character has "permadeath", so don't get too attached. Whenever someone falls in battle, or their unconscious body is hit, they lose a LP - lose all LP and you lose the character. This should be minimized, but it's essentially unavoidable. If you're wiped or your emperor dies, you need to put together a new party, which actually isn't too bad, so occasionally it's better to just roll with it. Every time you get a new party together it quickly grows stronger than your previous one. And every time you complete enough "quests" a bunch of years will pass, and you're forced to do this anyway.
  2. Branch out. Try focusing on a lot of different weapons as well as magic, trying to strengthen them all. And whenever you're forced to put together a new party, try out new classes.
    But do focus on the primary weapon attributes of whatever class you are playing to make sure you get the most significant boost for future generations. As far as I can tell, having four characters on your party all fighting with swords doesn't do more to boost your "global" sword skill than just having one person specializing in them.
  3. When you do start a new party, any new skills "sparked" in previous generations can now be learned at the "dojo" in your castle, completely for free. Make sure to teach the more useful skills to anyone wielding the associated weapon, but make sure to leave enough room for them to spark new skills of their own (a random occurrence that'll happen more often when fighting higher level enemies - you'll know it when you see it).
  4. Try not to run from a battle unless you can see from the beginning that you're gonna have a very hard time (at one point certain common encounters have a rare chance of being almost boss level). Fleeing has a 100% success rate as long as your emperor is alive at the start of the turn, but it will still increase the total battle count, which will increase the potential danger of any single encounter until it plateaus at 1000 battles fought. So try fighting out as many battles as you can to stay on top. Losing a couple of LPs doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things.
  5. In cases where you are facing a lot of potential fights that can screw you over, don't be too proud to save scum instead. You can save the game anywhere, and reload to find yourself at the exact same location. (you can exit to the start screen from the settings menu)
  6. Always keep potions to restore SP or MP on your active party, so you aren't crippled at the end of a dungeon before facing the boss. They can be found in your storage room, and as long as you don't go overboard, they'll restock faster than you can use them, based on your empires revenue I think.
Edited by Plattym3

Yangus casts Thwack! The post is killed!

25 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Well I’m glad I immediately nope’d out of the topic after seeing the second of Sumez’s posts and immediately scrolled down past it. Last thing I want is advice going into the game. I want to go in as blind as possible since I’ve never played games the game before. If I want information I’ll look for it myself.

I went in with my otherworldly powers and changed his post to have spoiler tags around everything.

:devil2: Now I'll have the Sumez advantage!

I absolutely 100% recommend going in blind, for the reasons I already mentioned. Which is why I'd also recommend staying away from every other "stuff you need to know" guides I've seen around.

I specifically picked out very basic tidbids that say nothing about the game world, scenarios or what you "should" do. One advice specifically is kinda central if you don't want the game turning way too difficult - I'm glad I figured that out before it was too late. 

Edited by Sumez

Also, I've read about 4-5 reviews today and tracked down a few podcast episodes (which actually were a #$*! to find) to listen to as well.  I went into Suikoden quite blind and couldn't stand it and quit it.  I'm going into this with eyes wide open.

1 minute ago, Sumez said:

I absolute 100% recommend going in blind, for the reasons I already mentioned. Which is why I'd also recommend staying away from every other "stuff you need to know" guides I've seen around. Is specifically selected very basic tidbids that say nothing about the game world, scenarios or what you "should" do. One advice specifically is kinda central if you don't want the game turning way too difficult - I'm glad I figured that out before it was too late. 

So basically I've already ingored this. Hahaha. To be fair, I go into almost nothing without knowing all I can.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

Also, I've read about 4-5 reviews today and tracked down a few podcast episodes (which actually were a #$*! to find) to listen to as well.  I went into Suikoden quite blind and couldn't stand it and quit it.  I'm going into this with eyes wide open.

Platty wants to go in With Arms Wide Open and Yangus wants to go in Eyes Wide Shut.

Platty wants to go in With Arms Wide Open and Yangus wants to go in Eyes Wide Shut.
One of Creed's best.
One of Nicole's worst.

@SumezI apologize for my post earlier. I was not in a good mood and have been stressed out by a few things in real life, so sorry I was sounding short in my earlier post. I let real life stuff effect what I typed/how I responded. Sorry about that man.

Part of my personality is that I like to figure out how to do things on my own and then seek out advice when I need some help, but that was no excuse to sound short earlier. If I need any advice I’ll look over that post of yours above. 👍

• Like 1

@YangustheLegendaryBandit we starting the clock at midnight? 4 hours?

20 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

@YangustheLegendaryBandit we starting the clock at midnight? 4 hours?

If you want too. If that’s the case then technically I would be starting a day ahead of schedule since midnight your time is 11 PM time. So it would be Monday for you but still Sunday for me. 🤪

If you want too. If that’s the case then technically I would be starting a day ahead of schedule since midnight your time is 11 PM time. So it would be Monday for you but still Sunday for me.
Damnit, I'm going to bed and starting at 5am. Haha.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

Damnit, I'm going to bed and starting at 5am. Haha.

That’s fine with me. I’m not feeling well anyway so I don’t plan to stay up and start the game.

That’s fine with me. I’m not feeling well anyway so I don’t plan to stay up and start the game.
I slept in and then my dad called unable to go to the Bucs game. A lot of texting and driving to get a friend later I basically spent all day getting there and back. Cleaning the house as my wife is over being home alone with the kids so yeah, I'm going to crash too.