Dakhil

"Director discusses the possibility of Dragon Quest Heroes III"

https://nintendoeverything.com/director-discusses-the-possibility-of-dragon-quest-heroes-iii/

dragon-quest-heroes-ii.jpg

Dragon Quest Heroes debuted in 2015 before Square Enix came back with a sequel a little over a year later. 2019 is just about over and there’s no news about a third entry, so we've been curious to know if the series has a future.

Nintendo Everything recently had a chance to speak with director Tomohiko Sho, and we asked about the possibility of Dragon Quest Heroes III happening at some point. On that front, Sho said:

"Obviously this is a Square Enix property so we can't really say anything, but I have kind of mentioned to them before, 'Shouldn’t we consider a third entry?'

So we've been talking a little about maybe putting out a third entry, but really the big thing is between I and II there were so many improvements made. If we were going to go from II to III, what else can we put in to really impress the players who played both games that will get them really excited and really emotionally moved by it? So there are a lot of hurdles. What would it be that we can put into the game? That's still something we're not sure how to do yet."

Dragon Quest Heroes I and II made it to Switch in Japan for the system's launch back in March 2017. Unfortunately, this mini collection never released in the west. Both games can be found in English on other platforms, however.

As I log on to post this article....

Yes, please! Let's get this going Squeenix!

You know what they could do to make it different? Make it a sequel to DQXI! Look at the Persona franchise that put out all those games after Persona 4. You had a fighting game & a dancing game. Hell, there's even a couple Etrian Odysseyesque games in Persona Q & Q2 starting the cast of P4. Launch DQ as a multi-style game with the cast of DQXI. Announce them all in DQH3, the next monsters game with Erik, and hell throw in a strategy game with tons of different classes while you're at it! Do it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

You know what they could do to make it different? Make it a sequel to DQXI! Look at the Persona franchise that put out all those games after Persona 4. You had a fighting game & a dancing game. Hell, there's even a couple Etrian Odysseyesque games in Persona Q & Q2 starting the cast of P4. Launch DQ as a multi-style game with the cast of DQXI. Announce them all in DQH3, the next monsters game with Erik, and hell throw in a strategy game with tons of different classes while you're at it! Do it!

Yes to all of this!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Someone’s been on a real Persona kick lately. Better start calling you Platsona or Personm3.

Or we’ll just start calling you eal #2.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Someone’s been on a real Persona kick lately. Better start calling you Platsona or Personm3.

Or we’ll just start calling you eal #2.

Hey, I haven’t played a Persona game since Dancing Moon Night.

It’s ironic that Platty thinks Dragon Quest should take the Persona 4 route with their Heroes games since Omega Force, who developed Heroes, are making a similar Dynasty Warriors game called Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers (which I’m very excited for based on the trailer btw).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, eal said:

Hey, I haven’t played a Persona game since Dancing Moon Night.

It’s ironic that Platty thinks Dragon Quest should take the Persona 4 route with their Heroes games since Omega Force, who developed Heroes, are making a similar Dynasty Warriors game called Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers (which I’m very excited for based on the trailer btw).

And I haven’t played an Etrian game since Etrian Odyssey Nexus came out the beginning of this year. Doesn’t change I’m the Etrian guy around here, a title I am proud of.

You’re the Persona guy, eal. Platty is just becoming Persona guy #2. 😜

9 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

And I haven’t played an Etrian game since Etrian Odyssey Nexus came out the beginning of this year. Doesn’t change I’m the Etrian guy around here, a title I am proud of.

You’re the Persona guy, eal. Platty is just becoming Persona guy #2. 😜

Which is hilarious because I’m familiar with the plot and characters but I’m overall not the smartest person at all on the “optimal” way to play. I don’t do any of the min/maxing that a lot of hardcore fans do. I just go, “cool, more fun battle mechanics wrapped in a stylish aesthetic and strong characters and story” when it comes to the main games, rhythm is my favorite Vita genre, and the Arena games were basically just a sequel, I didn’t care at all about the actual fighting game aspect.

Speaking of Etrian Odyssey, I’m surprised you didn’t play PQ2 immediately, seeing as it’s basically an EO game with a Persona skin.

1 hour ago, eal said:

Speaking of Etrian Odyssey, I’m surprised you didn’t play PQ2 immediately, seeing as it’s basically an EO game with a Persona skin.

Simple: I just wasn’t that impressed with the first one. For one there was an over reliance and over abundance of FOEs for roadblocks in dungeons rather than them being a genuine puzzle to get around (the Inaba Pride Exhibit dungeon being by far the worst offender of this). The only real Etrian elements were the dungeon map making and visible enemies being named FOEs. There wasn’t the same satisfaction of building a team and finding synergy like from building a team of classes. It just wasn’t doing it for me like a proper Etrian game, so I felt no need to play PQ2.

It had its good points. Visual designs for the labyrinths were good, music was great thanks to Shoji Meguro (who never disappoints anyway, he’s done great at Atlus ever since he joined in the 90s for Soul Hackers) and the guest piece by Yuzo Koshiro, the story behind Zen and Rei I liked, and it made my boy Shinjiro a playable character for the entire game.

You’re the Persona guy, eal. Platty is just becoming Persona guy #2.
Since I've played as many (if not more ) can I be Etrian Odyssey Guy #2 as well?

Maybe I should just be Persona Q Guy. I blend both.

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Since I've played as many (if not more emoji6.png) can I be Etrian Odyssey Guy #2 as well?

Maybe I should just be Persona Q Guy. I blend both.

You can be the “low budget, niche JRPG” guy.

2 of my recent games are the undubbed PQ2 and Strange Journey.

Yeah, that fits.

The low budget works 2 ways. Haha

9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Yeah, that fits.

Nah, you aren’t that guy.

You’re the “Give me Turn Based RPGs and nothing else,” guy. On the rare occasion you may not play turn based games, but you primarily only talk about them here and play them.

Besides, no dub shouldn’t be an issue for you since you don’t play with the sound on anyway. 😜

Nah, you aren’t that guy.
You’re the “Give me Turn Based RPGs that I haven't played before and nothing else,” guy.

Fixed that a bit.

Can't wait for Rune Factory 4 on Switch!

9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Yeah, that fits.

Also, you’ll just randomly go, “I’m playing a Neptunia game,” or “they gave me a random phone port looking game to review for the site.”

I think the PQ2 dub situation also had to do with just the logistics of getting all those voice actors to dub lines. The only VA I can think of who shares characters across games is Matt Mercer as Kanji and Yusuke, with Johnny Yong Bosch being the only actor I can think of who does multiple characters from the same game.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Fixed that a bit.

Can't wait for Rune Factory 4 on Switch!

True. Should have reworded that.

7 minutes ago, eal said:

Also, you’ll just randomly go, “I’m playing a Neptunia game,” or “they gave me a random phone port looking game to review for the site.”

I think the PQ2 dub situation also had to do with just the logistics of getting all those voice actors to dub lines. The only VA I can think of who shares characters across games is Matt Mercer as Kanji and Yusuke, with Johnny Yong Bosch being the only actor I can think of who does multiple characters from the same game.

Or it was like Strange Journey Redux not getting a dub: no monetary gain from going through the effort of dubbing a 3DS game in 2019 in the first place.

And speaking of Persona Q 2, why the hell haven’t you played it yet? You get every new Persona game yet skip the 2 on the Nintendo 3DS? Platty needs someone to talk to about them since he gets no response from me about them.

• Like 1

That reminds me, time to start a new topic.

2 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

True. Should have reworded that.

Or it was like Strange Journey Redux not getting a dub: no monetary gain from going through the effort of dubbing a 3DS game in 2019 in the first place.

Reminds me of when they tried to dress up Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE not getting a dub as an attempt to maintain authenticity, when really it was because it was a Wii U, a long one at that, when the console was on life support by that time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eal said:

Reminds me of when they tried to dress up Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE not getting a dub as an attempt to maintain authenticity, when really it was because it was a Wii U, a long one at that, when the console was on life support by that time.

I think I was one of the few people not bothered by Atlus not dubbing Etrian Nexus. It probably would have been easy since Etrian games have very few spoken lines even in the ones with English VA, but on a personal level I just turn voices off because I prefer just reading the text and enjoying the music. The VA in the games with it always drew me out of the experience, so Nexus not getting a dub didn’t bother me since I immediately muted the voices anyway.

Other games were Japanese voices don’t bother me are fighting games. English VA work in some fighters can be...well, kind of lame sounding sometimes. Not sure how else I’d put it. King of Fighters and Guilty Gear, for instance, just sounds wrong with English VA the few times they’ve tried it. Some sound genuinely good like in Blazblue games.

• Like 1

This is exciting. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I am excited at the thought. 

• Like 1