Plab

Confused About Playing DQX In The West

So I've been wanting to play DQX via purchasing an imported copy for the switch. I've been reading a lot about using VPN's to be able to play it properly but i'm curious if that's something I NEED to setup or if it's for online functionality only. I honestly don't know all that much about the game. Being a main series game, I would imagine that there's still a good game without the mmo elements. If I'm wrong or it adds a lot to playing the game, please correct me because I can't really say I know what i'm talking about for sure. If I need to download a VPN, that's fine too. I'm just curious and want to see if I can get some definitive answers.

Thank you

There isn't any offline element anymore, but as far as I know the IP ban is still lifted for US IP addresses so you wouldn't need a VPN.

Can someone who is playing confirm the ban is still not in effect for US?

Still no ban for US players. There's absolutely no way to predict when or if the ban will be reimplemented. It's been removed since July I believe.

If you live outside of the US, China, or Japan then you will need a VPN.

My opinion: DQX is a fantastic game with a traditional DQ story. The MMO elements are enjoyable after you get into them and the Dragons Den community in the game is incredibly helpful. The English speaking community are definitely missing out on a great DQ game here.

Not sure about Switch but i've been playing it on PS4 without a VPN. 

Only the prologue is technically offline though I'm pretty sure you need an internet connection to play it. There's just no other players around during the prologue.

The story is pretty cool though difficult to understand because of the language barrier. With the exception of a quick thumbs up to other players here and there I haven't been interacting with anyone else at all.

Hiring other players' characters as NPC helpers and following the main story is a lot of fun and totally worth it.

The game feels more like DQ with an MMO twist than a DQ themed MMO if that makes any sense.