Sign in to follow this  
Liamland

DWM - Breeding Guide recommendations

I have breeding anxiety. And not the typical teenage or early 20s or even late 40s kind of breeding anxiety. I restarted a game of DWM and it's come time for monster breeding. I remember the chances of re-recruiting a second monster from one already recruited are slim to none. I also remember someone providing me with a document tree for the breeding, which I can't find anymore. Would a mistake in breeding cause me to have to start over? I want to better research what monsters I want to breed, ahead of time.

I know the Den and gameFAQs have some general guides for the breeding, but I wonder what's everyone preferred guide for better understanding the strategy?

I have breeding anxiety. And not the typical teenage or early 20s or even late 40s kind of breeding anxiety. I restarted a game of DWM and it's come time for monster breeding. I remember the chances of re-recruiting a second monster from one already recruited are slim to none. I also remember someone providing me with a document tree for the breeding, which I can't find anymore. Would a mistake in breeding cause me to have to start over? I want to better research what monsters I want to breed, ahead of time.
I know the Den and gameFAQs have some general guides for the breeding, but I wonder what's everyone preferred guide for better understanding the strategy?

I believe you've got some false info there (someone correct me if I'm wrong, always a strong possibility). Rerecruiting is not an issue. Have a slime? 2nd slimes going to be more difficult, yes. Already bred slime #1? Well, slime #2 is going to be a breeze. The penalty is if you already have one, not for a second one after first is gone. Don't worry, just breed!!! This was a game made for little kids, you're going to roll it easily without too much difficulty!

Find a couple favorites that look nice and just work towards them!

Okay so if you breed away your slime you can recruit another, but the difficulty of recruiting another slime when you already have one is supposed to be high, IIRC. I remember seeing something close to a 0% chance, which means I'd need to really load that second monster up on PorkChops, Ribs and Sirloin for even a chance of recruitment. I remember struggling with that last time for breeds where the guide would say recruit and breed two of the same monster. I've started and stopped playing this game something like 3 times now, but I'd like to play through it and start Tara and Cobi, which I hear is better.

A few years ago on a playthrough someone (maybe @ignasia or RPG Wizard) sent me a DWM breeding guide that I haven't been able to locate again. It was pretty comprehensive (possibly a spreadsheet, though maybe a database on a website). I'm now combing through old messages to try and search for it. Fully expanded it looked like a giant family tree, where you could easily see all the breeding paths. I was wondering if anyone else remembers anything like that in their history with this game.

@Liamland That was someone else, probably Dark RPG Wizard.  I wonder what happened to that guy?  He was really helpful.  Really good guy.

I know what you're talking about though.  There are a lot of DQM breeding data sites now gone.  The biggest hit was the Joker 1 site.  That was super detailed.  Even broke down best stat growth practices, and had full charts to all S ranks.  Alongside full skill breakdowns.

Edited by ignasia

He's around. He's a regular at the DQIX Tag Mode Tuesday meet-ups.

Wow, what happened to all these sites? Is there no way for The Den to host the data?

For the most part I used my physical DWM2 Tara & Cobi strategy guide to do most of my breeding planning in DWM. I'd find things that had changed between versions often enough, but it was helpful a bit. I think that guide and a couple other PDF ones are hosted here.

I recruited a second DragonKid, using a Sirloin. I guess it wasn't as difficult as I remembered. A pork chop wasn't enough. I'm leveling them now to create a 2nd Dragon to then create a Great Drak.

It's a slow grind, though, to level them with enough skills and stats to make breeding advantageous. I named my first DragonKid Alex, after my 2 year old son and he's been on  the farm ever since, so when I brought him into the main party he had a Wild value of 255. I had to laugh when it would say, "Alex isn't listening to you," and I just thought, "typical."

My new DragonKid I named Roxy, for no reason. Just thought it was a cool name for a DragonKid. The weirdest part will be when my 2 year old son/DragonKid breeds. Sh¡t, I'll be a grandfather!

Edited by Liamland
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ignasia said:

There are a lot of DQM breeding data sites now gone.  The biggest hit was the Joker 1 site.

I would dare to disagree and say the biggest hit was yash's DWM1and2 site(s?). I dearly miss the abundance of information that was available there and literally nowhere else. Unless there's a Japanese site with the information. But that wouldn't really help. As I can't read Japanese.

Are the sites still backed up on archive.org? If so we could try to replicate some of the data here.

That's a good idea. Does anyone have the old URL for yash's site?

1 hour ago, Liamland said:

That's a good idea. Does anyone have the old URL for yash's site?

Did a google search, is this it?

https://web.archive.org/web/20061110151348/http://www.tiger-marmalade.com/~yash/entertainment/games/dwm.html

I tried the archives years ago, the backup didn't get much information.

~Edit~

Yes, that was the DWM1 site, this was the DWM2 site:  https://web.archive.org/web/20110621232033/http://tiger3k.com/yash/entertainment/dwm2/

Edited by GrandAlchemist

2 hours ago, GrandAlchemist said:

this was the DWM2 site

Boy the DWM2 one must not have been up long to only have 1 snapshot

3 hours ago, Woodus said:

Boy the DWM2 one must not have been up long to only have 1 snapshot

That's the thing, man. It was up for years.

~Edit~

That snapshot is from 2011 and shows the most recent update was in 2001, so it was 10 years at minimum. 🤷‍♂️ I don't remember when it went down, I just remembered being annoyed.

~EDIT 2~

Now that I am thinking about it, there was a more complete archive of the site from the alternate mirror... http://web.archive.org/web/20090106224945/http://dwm2united.cjb.net/

However, it is still missing a significant amount of information.

Edited by GrandAlchemist