RyuKisargi

DQ1-3 Switch/Mobile graphics.

I've noticed a lot of people complain about them, and to be honest, I don't get why.

They're really good re-translations/ports of yore, and they're still visually pleasing. Just because they might not upscale on some stuff doesn't mean a thing.

They could be so much worse. Like FF6 mobile worse.

EDGAR DON'T HAVE EYES YO

• Like 1

I've noticed a lot of people complain about them, and to be honest, I don't get why.

They're really good re-translations/ports of yore, and they're still visually pleasing. Just because they might not upscale on some stuff doesn't mean a thing.

They could be so much worse. Like FF6 mobile worse.

EDGAR DON'T HAVE EYES YO
DQ 1 Hero is Mario confirmed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

il_570xN.671997059_no0g.jpg?version=0

green_dragon.png

Those two, with snarls, and a sense of threat.  The dragon's maw open, and the eyes positioned in such a way as to give that sense that the dragon is a ferocious monsters, despite the lighter tones and curvy lines, giving it a more happy-go-lucky shape...to this:

350px-DQ_Green_Dragon.png

...which looks like it's smiling and happy.  Totally non-threatening in appearance, as most of the extra lines are removed, and the eyes are widened a bit, and given a rounder shape, while the lower jaw is widened a bit, and given more of a curve, and the body is widened just slightly, to make it more jolly looking and giving the dragon a wide-eyed smile instead of a snarl.

It's subtle, but it doesn't fit DQ as well as the original.  Though I guess we can say that later DQ games tone down the darker themes as Horii becomes a better writer.  There's less actual murder, only threats (not much murder in DQ11, and 9...wow, 9 was so ungodly tame it's a joke).  The darker elements since 7 have just become less the focus, and are more your average modern day fairy tale, as compared to the older fairy tales of yore, where fairies ate children, or mermaids drowned men in the sea.

So in the sense that DQ is becoming more tame in general.  Yes, it fits.  It just lacks that mixture of threat and evil, with a light and happy coat of paint.  There's no connection anymore to the original style.

20 minutes ago, ignasia said:

not much murder in DQ11

Spoiler

So half the world dying when Yggdrasil was destroyed doesn’t count as much murder? Mordegon wiped out half, if not more, of the population in one swoop.

• Like 2

I actually think the mobile ones look pretty good visually. With the Switch the sprites were smoothed out and really clash with the still pixelated/retro looking world in my opinion. I still got them on Switch, but I do wish they would have just went with how it was on mobile. Just looks more uniform that way.

19 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
  Hide contents

So half the world dying when Yggdrasil was destroyed doesn’t count as much murder? Mordegon wiped out half, if not more, of the population in one swoop.

Ok, that is a fair point, to a degree, but it's one with far less impact, except maybe for the Last Bastion.

Except for Heliodor, that's a gross exaggeration, and even then it's implied a very sizeable portion of the townsfolk and castle staff made it out.  No seriously, there are no other missing townsfolk.  All the Octagonia folk return after events.  The Nautica people weren't killed in its assault, the people of Lonalulu remain to a man.  Same with Hotto, Gondolia, Gallopolis, Arboria, same with Puerto Valor, Phnom Nohn, and Medal Academy.  Even the Vikings remain intact after they're saved.  The only exceptions beyond Heliodor are certain extras outside the walls in Sniflhiem, and the parents of two children who were supposed to go to the Medal School.  That is it.  We also don't witness quite the same thing either.  The only deaths of humans we bear witness to are...

Spoiler

Mordegon, and Jasper.  Then there's the sacrifices of Veronica and Michelle.

We visually watch Marta and Papa's lives being stripped from them.  We directly participate in a free-for-all murder spree that repeats endlessly, to the bottom of a well for a single treasure left by the great sage, as men cast away whatever humanity they have left to butcher one another for it, only to be revived and restart the process.  We watch as the jailed citizens in the last town in DQ6 get wiped out one by one by lightning strikes.  We see a man take up a sword and both the recently deceased, and his last two victims before he shatters his sword in a young woman's body, shattering her soul, in the hopes of escaping a purgatory town, just for the chance of potentially leaving and getting his powers back after the false Dharma.  We bear witness to the deaths of the town of Mammon.  Watch as their spirits drain over time, as their greed continues their search for riches in the mine, and their eventual.

They're more raw and visceral, more emotionally drawing, more real and I'm not even getting into Dune or late game DQ7.  Or the sacrifices in Aridea in 6.

19 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png@YangustheLegendaryBandit
So true, so true!

Except that it's not.  At all.  Less than 1/100th of the NPCs are removed.  Hell, there are even additional NPCs added to Phnom Nohn, who then move to Puerto Valor.

Edited by ignasia

There are more people who probably existed in the world of DQ11 than you see in towns, you know. A character from Nautica mentions her village was ravaged by monsters, but you never go to said village and see how populated it was.

In Act 2 it’s said several times that

Spoiler

The fall of Yggdrasil snuffed out hundreds of lives since each leaf represents one life

so a lot of people died regardless of how many people exist in towns in Act 2.

So, as Platty put it, “So true, so true!”

5 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

There are more people who probably existed in the world of DQ11 than you see in towns, you know. A character from Nautica mentions her village was ravaged by monsters, but you never go to said village and see how populated it was.

Hide contents

The fall of Yggdrasil snuffed out hundreds of lives since each leaf represents one life

Fair point.  Though it's still not the same as previous DQ games.  The devastation is far more removed, and the change to a bright sunny world after Heliodor certainly didn't help matters.  Nevermind a lack of direct retribution of any form.

On 11/10/2019 at 6:51 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
  Reveal hidden contents

To be fair murder and genocide are two very different things. DQ11 is very much lacking in murder.

It also doesn't help that

it never happened. Damned time travel.

• Like 1

While the graphics seem a little flat, I think they fit the Switch and Mobile very well. I enjoy how detailed they look to me, but I think the backgrounds should have been updated.

On 11/11/2019 at 2:54 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Hide contents

Not to mention that all the people who died couldn't carry their souls over and were stuck in limbo.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Not to mention that all the people who died couldn't carry their souls over and were stuck in limbo.

Totally forgot about that part, so thank you for mentioning it. Grand Master Pang talks about in some detail how many people entered the void (or Limbo) and couldn’t move on, thus their souls disappearing from existence all together.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

@GrandAlchemist 2nd spoiler was what I was going to say. Haha!

Murder and genocide shouldn't be thought of as 2 separate things, but sadly they are often. Still see Timothy McVeigh referred to as a mass murderer. Others who go above that scale should be held to the same title too.