Sign in to follow this  
cprmauldin

Battlechasers: Nightwar

Battlechasers: Nightwar

Simple Score: 8/10

Time played: 51 hours

Percentage of content complete: About 85%

Battlechasers: Nightwar is a turn-based Roleplaying Game based upon a comic book series called Battlechasers. The character designs, graphics, and even the in-game text all reflect the origins of this game in the world of comic books. If I were to use one word to describe the game, in pretty much all of it’s aspects, I would call it, “Well-Balanced.”

Battlechasers features six playable characters which must be whittled down to a party of 3. The party can be switched out as frequently as desired either in the primary hub town, called Harm’s Way, or at the beginning of a dungeon. Each character has his or her own personality and development, which the player gets to enjoy whether or not the player has them character in his or her party.

When moving around the game world, referred to as the “Overworld,” enemies are identified as little blips on the screen with a photo of the primary enemy. If there are to be multiple waves of enemies, it is so indicated on the blip. While these enemies can be avoided, sometimes the player must pass through them to get to his or her destination, and therefore must engage in the battle. As time goes on, the player can opt out of these battles if there is a a large discrepancy between the player level and enemy level (this applies only to the player being overly leveled, not the enemy). From the Overworld, the player can access Harm’s way, Dungeons, and Exploration Areas.

Harm’s Way is the only real town in the game, and is a hub of activity. There, players can access an inn, a blacksmith, an enchanter, a potion shop, a trainer, and a mysterious being known as a, “Collector,” which isn’t as cool as it sounds, it’s really just another shop. From beginning to the end of the game, the player will be spending a lot of time in Harm’s Way (Get it? Ha!).

Dungeons are where most players are likely to spend most of their time. They are accessed from the Overworld and from the access screen, players are able to switch up their party members and decide on the difficulty of the dungeon. Right there on the screen, the game displays how much trouble the player will have, and the potential reward cache to be obtained upon completion of the dungeon. The dungeons are procedurally generated and can be revisited for the purposes of looting and grinding. Each time the player goes through a dungeon, it’s likely to be a new experience. I really liked this feature because, trust me, you’ll need to do some grinding and looting in this game. Another thing to note, from the dungeon, players can save the game and quit, but they’ll have to trek back through the dungeon when they pick the game back up. 

The other places players will come into contact with are exploration areas. These are somewhat similar to Dungeons, minus the difficulty choice, treasure cache, and procedural generation. These areas quite often contain side-content and good loot.

In addition to all of the above listed features, there are some other Roleplaying game features that add a level of fun and customization: crafting, hunting, an arena, and fishing. All of those are pretty self-explanatory for most Roleplaying Game players, except maybe hunting (think side-quests). Pretty much all of the ingredients for a great RPG.

Now, onto the battles. They’re turn-based and a lot of fun. Some attacks/actions take a while, while others take effect immediately. The battle animations are cool and you can count on your crew and the enemies to make some fun little comments during battle. 

I’d say the difficulty in this game is Moderate with a bit of an uptick toward the end. While some portions of the game I felt like I was just flying through, for others, I had to do some significant grinding and strategizing. I’d say at least half of the dungeons, I conquered twice seeking gear, experience, or both. 

Overall, this game kept me absolutely enthralled from beginning to end. While I came across some frustrations here and there, the game was truly fun, and well balanced in nearly every way. 

If you’re looking for a fun, and VERY unique turn-based RPG for the Nintendo Switch, this game is definitely worth a try. 

• Like 1

Hope to get to this in the next 6 months or so. Thanks for your detailed review!

On 11/2/2019 at 5:01 PM, Plattym3 said:

Hope to get to this in the next 6 months or so. Thanks for your detailed review!

Oh!

I know you mentioned getting it, but I didn't realize it would be that soon. I'm very eager to hear your thoughts on it. 

• Like 1