Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

I concede that this game has the most useful party roster BY FAR

While Dragon Quest IV is my favorite and, while I love the entire party of that game, I concede that Dragon Quest XI makes the absolute best use of its party. Hands down.

I was inspired to make this thread because of the a comment YangusTheLegendaryBandit made on another thread regarding characters and felt this warranted a deeper discussion.

Before DQXI was released, I've maintained for years that DQIV made the best use of its party and had the most interchangeable characters. I still maintain that to a degree but now but concede that DQIV makes the SECOND BEST use of its characters. DQXI makes the absolute best use of its party. There's just no way to see it differently, if you ask me.

I have had many instances in past DQ games where I would lose a few party members during a boss fight and swap them out for other members. The end result was a second round of brutal beating against my party. Dragon Quest XI is the only game of this series where I swap out characters during boss battles on a regular basis and the end results are always in my favor.

One particular instance was a rather difficult boss fight against the spider boss (I forget its name). He simply murdered half my party, forcing me to swap. Sylvando saved the day. His Flame Slash absolutely killed the spider.

There was another boss fight where I lost Rab and the Luminary and wound up swapping Veronica and Jade in to save the day.

In fact--almost every party member in this game knows some form of Heal, it seems. I've never done as much character swapping in any one Dragon Quest game as I have with XI so far. It's just intriguing to see the results.

I also really appreciate this game for the way its magic users are treated. Rab is a heavy magic user but you can also turn him into a mini-tank type. Veronica and Serena aren't being knocked on their butts half as much as I feared they would. Instead, they hold their ground rather well, unlike most mages/sages/cleric types. That's refreshing. I always keep a mage and sage type in my party in every Dragon Quest game but have always hated their lack of resilience. They seem far more resilient in this game.

Honestly, I prefer the skill system in this game over vocations. "Character Builder" is just that--you can really fine-tune your characters into a certain direction. For instance--I fine-turned Erik into a heavy boomerang-wielder. He causes some of the most devastating multi-enemy hits of our party. My Luminary is on a Greatsword path and just plows through the opposition. Sylvando does great as a one-handed sword wielder and has surprisingly turned into a tank. I find that ironic that a clown like Sylvando makes for a versatile tank. I LOVE that. Really adds to Sylvando's personality and shows that he might act like a clown on the outside but on the inside--he's a versatile warrior not to be reckoned with.

Dragon Quest XI is the only game in this series where I can't find a rotten apple among the bunch. Great job, Horii and Co.

I agree 100%. DQIV is a favorite of mine, but I'll be honest about Chapter 5. I used Hero, Alena, Ragnar, & Cristo and power right through it. I rarely use the sisters, call in Bray for some magic, and Taloon is less than an afterthought.

In DQVIII 3DS once I got the 2 new party members, I put them in my party and ignored Jessica and Angelo.

DQVII - hate Maribel & ditch the #$*! ASAP

DQV - it's family & monsters, screw the other humans

DQVI - Amos rocks, the rest suck.

DQXI does an excellent job with the entire party. I rarely switch characters in, but when I do I then keep them in for an hour. Honestly I don't have a set party as I just have whoever is there fight until they're out of MP, then switch and then never think to go back. Everyone pretty much gets their chance to fight almost equally. If I'm going against a boss, it's Hero, Hendrick, Sylvando, and Serena, but even then things happen and half the battle is on rotation. I just never switch people out due to preference. It's an excellent cast with no real weak points.

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2019 at 9:08 PM, Plattym3 said:

I agree 100%. DQIV is a favorite of mine, but I'll be honest about Chapter 5. I used Hero, Alena, Ragnar, & Cristo and power right through it. I rarely use the sisters, call in Bray for some magic, and Taloon is less than an afterthought.

In DQVIII 3DS once I got the 2 new party members, I put them in my party and ignored Jessica and Angelo.

DQVII - hate Maribel & ditch the #$*! ASAP

DQV - it's family & monsters, screw the other humans

DQVI - Amos rocks, the rest suck.

DQXI does an excellent job with the entire party. I rarely switch characters in, but when I do I then keep them in for an hour. Honestly I don't have a set party as I just have whoever is there fight until they're out of MP, then switch and then never think to go back. Everyone pretty much gets their chance to fight almost equally. If I'm going against a boss, it's Hero, Hendrick, Sylvando, and Serena, but even then things happen and half the battle is on rotation. I just never switch people out due to preference. It's an excellent cast with no real weak points.

You and I have another thing in common as I use that EXACT same party configuration in Dragon Quest IV myself, LOL!

I never tried the the two new members of DQVIII on my 3DS playthrough. I may have to give them a try next go-around.

Agreed on DQV. I normally use: Hero, Son, Wife (I always choose Bianca, the canon wife) and Goodian, the Slime Knight. That's my party every time.

DQVI: I missed out the awesomeness that is Amos until my second playthrough. Why the hell was he even optional/miss-able? Stupid...

DQXI: Luminary, Erik and Serena were my constants. The fourth was usually swapped often. Now that I have Hendrick, though, I might adopt a Dragon Quest IV approach and keep Hendrick in as a SECOND tank.

PS: The Luminary is, without a doubt, the most powerful hero of the series, hands down. No contest. The Void more than confirmed that. DAMN, that's a powerful attack! My Luminary is laying waste to every field monster like they're nothing!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

I never tried the the two new members of DQVIII on my 3DS playthrough. I may have to give them a try next go-around.

Ragazzo! You have done yourself a disservice! Morrie and Red are both amazing on offense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrandAlchemist said:

Ragazzo! You have done yourself a disservice! Morrie and Red are both amazing on offense.

Maybe I wouldn't have gotten my butt kicked by Rhapthorne so badly if I'd only known this about those two. It STRUGGLED on Rhapthorne even WITH everyone being in the 60's on their levels.

... I am going to be honest with you here. Even without those two Rhapthorne should be pretty beatable by lv 40. Luck, tactics, and equipment all play a part though. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GrandAlchemist said:

Ah, signor, a man after my own heart of hearts, eh?! You see the true PASSION and GUSTO of playing with Morrie!

Morrie is a stellar offensive character and is a damn good support character rolled into one. There’s a reason you have to work to earn him as a playable character.

Ah, signor, a man after my own heart of hearts, eh?! You see the true PASSION and GUSTO of playing with Morrie!

Almost as much fun as playing with yourself!

28 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Almost as much fun as playing with yourself!

Si, Casanova! That is the kind of PASSION that comes from you when you play in Morrie’s Monstrous Pit!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1