Sign in to follow this  
Locke

Is Dragon Quest X on Switch Worth It?

Hi, I just joined.

Basically, I've been looking around this place awhile seeing all the information about getting X to work when you don't live in Japan. I got the trial on PC, I enjoyed it, and I don't think I would mind buying the full game, especially with all the English guides and information about it.

I wanted to get it on the Switch. I've heard about how it is the best version to play aside from PC, and I really like the portability of the switch, so I could play it at friends, school, library, etc. But is it worth to get? I know it is sort of a hassle. I have a JPN account, I have the funds, but I don't live in the USA so I would have to use a VPN, and I'm not the biggest fan of how it works with having to use a PC. I don't know who plays the Switch version on here, but to whoever does and is knowledgeable, I'd really like to hear how it is and if it is worth the trouble rather than the PC version. 

Thanks!

The switch version is good.  I like to use it while lying down in bed and grinding.  The keyboard on the PC version is a plus although, awkwardly, you can add one to the switch.   For easier VPN connectivity look up “open vpn router” on Amazon.  For about $30 you can buy a wireless router which runs the vpn on it so you don’t have to mess with PC hotspots and the like.  You just attach it to your primary router and you are set.

1 hour ago, Avenger said:

The switch version is good.  I like to use it while lying down in bed and grinding.  The keyboard on the PC version is a plus although, awkwardly, you can add one to the switch.   For easier VPN connectivity look up “open vpn router” on Amazon.  For about $30 you can buy a wireless router which runs the vpn on it so you don’t have to mess with PC hotspots and the like.  You just attach it to your primary router and you are set.

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely be looking into getting one then, and the game obviously. :)

do you have a VPN preference or any recommendations on one? I've never purchased one before. But I'm assuming anything is fine really. 

1 hour ago, Locke said:

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely be looking into getting one then, and the game obviously. :)

do you have a VPN preference or any recommendations on one? I've never purchased one before. But I'm assuming anything is fine really. 

I used to use Amazon AWS for VPN(although I have no clue how it'll work with OpenVPN). It was fairly stable and it's free for a year....or forever if you make multiple accounts.

I recommend the PC version if you don't live in the United States.  If you have to use a VPN, you'll need to share that VPN connection with your Switch.

It's possible to do, but the PC is a lot easier to use if you need to use a VPN.

I play on Switch and this version is great. Once you setup your VPN well there is nothing to worry about, but it can be a bit annoying to do.