ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

This might/might not be an unpopular opinion, but...I think I prefer VIII over XI

I know, I know--I'm only in Act 2 of XI but I think I've played enough of the game to really come to this conclusion...I prefer VIII. Not by a HUGE margin, but I do prefer VIII.

I should clarify that most of my Dragon Quest games in my rankings have VERY short gaps between each other. In truth, I absolutely love every game in this series--even II and VI which are my absolutely least favorites. So, I'm not at ALL disparaging XI.

It's just...there's something about VIII that I prefer. Some of it is difficult to explain while some of it I can easily explain in examples:

-I prefer the lighthearted quirky anime style of VIII. While it has its darker moments, VIII maintains a rather consistent tone throughout. XI's tone is a bit...muddled, I think. It starts like VIII and then sharply, suddenly and unpredictably shifts to VII. I don't mind this much but I prefer VIII's middle-of-the-road consistent tone. VIII feels like a "break" after the dour tone of VII. It's a fun fantasy adventure with much heart throughout.

-Music. VIII wins here, hands down. VIII is simply...pleasant to listen to. I love just roaming the map in that game and immersing myself in the music. The game is a great stress-reliever, to be honest.

-Party members. While I love the parties of both games, I simply can't get enough of the Yangus/Trode/Jessica/Angelo banter here. Again--the entire game just plays out like a silly little anime and I love every piece of dialogue and interaction here.

-Alchemy Pot. I think I prefer the Alchemy Pot over the Forge. The Forge is fun, sure, but I prefer the simplicity of the Alchemy Pot.

Anyway, those are just some of the examples. I do love XI, of course, but I feel that VIII has something...special and unique. I really have to say that no other game in this entire saga captures that little..."something" that VIII has. While VIII is not my favorite of the series, I find to be one of the most unique of the series and I can't fully explain why.

Anyway, this is NOT a "rag on XI" thread. I love XI and only love VIII a BIT more than XI but I definitely think VIII has something special that Xi is really lacking...even if I can't fully pinpoint what it is.

I'm saying this on the XI board so this is probably an unpopular opinion. I'm simply calling it as I see it.

VIII is pretty good. But what I really don't like about the game over other entries is the skill point system. 3DS at least tells you what skills you get after point investments. But I just never liked the idea of it being permanent. A game like XI is how I prefer it. A simplistic talent tree, that doesn't tell you everything, but gives you a good idea. As well as being able to respec talents as often as you want. Which is really nice and fun to do on Super Strong Monsters. A more versatile system makes the gameplay a lot better for me.

7 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

VIII is pretty good. But what I really don't like about the game over other entries is the skill point system. 3DS at least tells you what skills you get after point investments. But I just never liked the idea of it being permanent. A game like XI is how I prefer it. A simplistic talent tree, that doesn't tell you everything, but gives you a good idea. As well as being able to respec talents as often as you want. Which is really nice and fun to do on Super Strong Monsters. A more versatile system makes the gameplay a lot better for me.

Didn’t the 3DS version of VIII let you reset skill points from a skill tree? I know in the PS2 version once you made a decision you were stuck with it, but I thought they changed that in the 3DS version where at certain churches you could empty out one of the five skills of points and put them towards something else if you wanted to. I haven’t played the 3DS version of VIII for a long time so my memory is kind of fuzzy.

I’m not opposed to how they handled it in VIII though. Every time I replay that game I go with a new weapon skill line for the characters, with the other points going into their unique skill sets. At some point I need to get back to the game and do a Boomerang/Club/Knives/Staves run. Probably go Fisticuffs with Red and...well, whatever the weakest of Morrie’s attack skill lines is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Didn’t the 3DS version of VIII let you reset skill points from a skill tree? I know in the PS2 version once you made a decision you were stuck with it, but I thought they changed that in the 3DS version where at certain churches you could empty out one of the five skills of points and put them towards something else if you wanted to. I haven’t played the 3DS version of VIII for a long time so my memory is kind of fuzzy.

I don't recall. All I remember is that you don't have to put all your points in at once when you level up anymore. I do remember that skill seeds were easier to get late game to help counterbalance it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

The skill tree in XI is miles better, yes. No argument here.

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

everyone is entitled to an opinion.

When was this rule put into effect on the internet? No opinions allowed.

50 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

When was this rule put into effect on the internet? No opinions allowed.

Offering opinions isn’t what the Internet is used for.

Somebody inform Reddit and Twitter.

19 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
1 hour ago, eal said:

Related: r/unpopularopinion is the worst subreddit I’ve ever been on.

4 hours ago, AustNerevar said:
6 hours ago, eal said:

Better downvote that person to prove them wrong! That will show em!

• Upvote 1

They're all the worst subreddit. Except for the small ones.

50 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
5 hours ago, eal said:

They're all the worst subreddit. Except for the small ones.

Disagree. The Vita subreddit has been an invaluable resource for finding out when stuff was coming out or alert me to deals. Same with r/animedeals. Love raimimemes, and the Two Best Friends subreddit has some of the best pop culture discussions and out-of-context panels.

56 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Better downvote that person to prove them wrong! That will show em!

Okay, so the point of that particular subreddit was, as far as I’m aware, to upvote a post if it was a unpopular opinion, not if you agreed with it. But when I click on a highly upvoted post and look down at the comments, 80% of them are either “this isn’t an unpopular opinion” or “this is the 5th time someone’s said this today” or someone is agreeing with them. People weren’t even using the upvote system properly. People just go there to have their views reinforced, and ironically, prove that this opinion isn’t unpopular.

24 minutes ago, eal said:

The Vita subreddit has been an invaluable resource for finding out when stuff was coming out or alert me to deals.

That reminds me of how, when I actually used Twitter, I found a great resource for amiibo news and deals. It was super helpful for finding a lot of the Smash Bros amiibos back in college.

46 minutes ago, eal said:

Okay, so the point of that particular subreddit was, as far as I’m aware, to upvote a post if it was a unpopular opinion, not if you agreed with it. But when I click on a highly upvoted post and look down at the comments, 80% of them are either “this isn’t an unpopular opinion” or “this is the 5th time someone’s said this today” or someone is agreeing with them. People weren’t even using the upvote system properly. People just go there to have their views reinforced, and ironically, prove that this opinion isn’t unpopular.

Yeah, I am aware of that subreddit. Majority of the posts are not even that unpopular to begin with. That subreddit represents what I hate a lot about reddit. Just as you said, to get people to have their views reinforced. Unpopular opinions get downvoted. Popular ones get upvoted. It ends up becoming an echochamber. Reddit doesn't seem to know what to even upvote for. Reddiquette might as well not even exist. Even the smaller niche subreddits fall victim to it from time to time.

Not gonna lie. I don't even know why I bother with that website to begin with.

Edited by Twinkie

@YangustheLegendaryBandit @Twinkie  you cannot reset skill points in DQ8.  Any version.  However given you can postpone skill point distribution in the 3DS, and see what each skill available does, it offers a chance to plan out builds.

While I like DQ8's system (and DQ9, which is a drastically improved revision, particularly the weapon attack bonuses, which DQ8 3DS should have changed to stacked bonuses), DQ11's is very well balanced, to the point where at particular skill point intervals, the game assures just enough skill points for certain groups of skills even between multiple paths, often highly useful skills and stat buffs at that particular point in the game that normally most people would be at said level, to have those skill points available.

One thing though that DQ8 does give that DQ11 doesn't...

The skill tree requirements, point gains, and seed of skill gains gives the impression you're always moving forward at a nice steady pace in skill development.  DQ11 by comparison, is like a gulf of extreme limitation until level 40, which is likely to be around the point the 70% story marker clicks.  Skill seeds give only one point, and while at max level that 1 point is meaningful, for the bulk of the game, it is meaningless, and rarely ever allows access to a new skill, weapon boost, or stat boost.  It feels like walking through a desert hoping I place points in the most effective manner, something that is never present in DQ8.

While I prefer the format for skill point usage in 11, I prefer the sense that I can definitely get that new skill on the next level or two, not feeling as if I have to wait 5+ levels for enough points to get a new skill or buff.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

That reminds me of how, when I actually used Twitter, I found a great resource for amiibo news and deals. It was super helpful for finding a lot of the Smash Bros amiibos back in college.

Oh, yes, the Amiibo subreddit is how I found out about which were exclusive to which store and what was getting stocked and re-stocked and when. I actually saw a post apparently too late earlier today claiming GameStop briefly listed a few out-of-stock Amiibo. Too slow and missed out on Cloud :(

35 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Yeah, I am aware of that subreddit. Majority of the posts are not even that unpopular to begin with. That subreddit represents what I hate a lot about reddit. Just as you said, to get people to have their views reinforced. Unpopular opinions get downvoted. Popular ones get upvoted. It ends up becoming an echochamber. Reddit doesn't seem to know what to even upvote for. Reddiquette might as well not even exist. Even the smaller niche subreddits fall victim to it from time to time.

Not gonna lie. I don't even know why I bother with that website to begin with.

Funny comments and news and deal alerts and memes. That’s reason enough. 

22 minutes ago, ignasia said:

you cannot reset skill points in DQ8.  Any version.  However given you can postpone skill point distribution in the 3DS, and see what each skill available does, it offers a chance to plan out builds.

Postponing skill points must have been what I was remembering then. I thought you couldn’t outright reset them in the 3DS version, but having not played it since the year it released here in the States my memory was hazy.

Thanks for clarifying.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 2

People weren’t even using the upvote system properly.

Imagine that.
  • Like 1