Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

Mini-rant - 2D mode.

18 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I have no evidence to support this, but from my personal experience I have gotten the monster almost every time I tried to interact with the specific spot that they use. Trying to use a spot without the monster might increase changes on finding it in battle.

T'would make sense.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:58 AM, Kaeneth said:

I'm in my 2D run right now and while I'm having a lot of fun there are some annoyances I have. Not all of them are big, but here's a few that have gotten to me the most.

1. No costume selection. An absolute waste to make this a 3D mode only thing. There was no reason not to include this.

2. Removing of certain quality of life features. You can't just open the menu and hit Y to handy all heal, you can't press start to have that command menu, you can't warp to camps, etc.

3. The random encounters are fine, and expected for this mode, but it's incredibly irritating when you need a certain monster mount and it won't spawn. Like I shouldn't have to do 6-7 battles to find the monster I need. They should always spawn around the areas they are necessary in.

Those aren't all of them, but they're what's come to mind. I also agree that the switching back and forth only at chapters thing is annoying. My initial plan was to do one full run and swap back and forth but I immediately dropped that idea when I realized how it worked. Don't get me wrong, I love 2D mode and am so happy they included it, but I feel like it could have been better than it was in certain areas.

Right there with you!

1. That made me sad as I really despise a default or two. Guess I'll be wearing some armor for 30+ hours again; screw defense, who needs it?

2. Forgot the Y was a thing, no biggie. I get the no camps, but it's weird, because that's literally all I ever did in DQXI.  Going to an inn in 2D felt odd, because I never did that my first time around.

3. Yeah, I've had upwards of 10 minutes waiting for certain spawns. Will say 7/10 times it's fine, but it's way more than enough to be annoying.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:26 PM, Twinkie said:

I figured they did that because of map differences. I didn't want to bother with the chapter reset stuff so I am just doing an entire playthrough of it later.

This was my thought. Eventual 3rd playthrough will be my time to explore 2D mode. 

• Like 1

I'm in Act 2 now, and 2D mode is still pretty good. I'm gonna have to turn on 3D mode once I get to a new chapter so I can watch the Act 1 finale from the tree.

On 11/4/2019 at 6:03 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

1. I agree.

2. Most of these are unnecessary and redundant. I would like to be able to quickly Handy Heal All though. Being able to zoom to camps in 2D would completely break the game balance as the world is much smaller in scale.

3. This hasn't been much of an issue for me. 9/10 times I encounter the necessary monster before I even need to use it. But I can see how some bad RNG could make this incredibly frustrating.

2. Sure they are, I didn't say they were necessary per say, but they made the experience smoother and flow better for items and such that you frequently use. More of an I didn't need it before I had it, but after I had it I didn't want to lose it sort of thing. For some of the camps, sure, I don't necessarily disagree. I felt some of them though, like the first forest for example, would have benefited from at least one of the camps being able to be warped to. 

I think one of the best parts of 2D mode is the pacing. Because of the smaller world, shorter cutscenes, and what not, for somebody who has already experienced the story and character interactions, the pacing in 2D mode is really good. You still get enough to get the full story for an additional experience of it, but in a much shorter time and quicker pace. I just think the QoL stuff would have added even more to this flow and pacing. Not a huge drawback that they're absent, but just little things for the overall experience in my opinion.

On 11/5/2019 at 2:03 AM, Twinkie said:

I have no evidence to support this, but from my personal experience I have gotten the monster almost every time I tried to interact with the specific spot that they use. Trying to use a spot without the monster might increase changes on finding it in battle.

Dang, you guys must have gotten lucky, or me unlucky. It was kind of a constant throughout the whole game for me. I always had to do a handful of battles to find them. I wouldn't have minded a couple battles, but there were many times where I counted and really did have to do between 5-7 battles for them. I think I was at the Fortress of Fear when I originally wrote that post. So it probably was irritating me in particular needing a flying monster to get to the high floors again, when I was having trouble getting one. Ended up having to use a lot of MP I was trying to save after I had just healed.

Edited by Kaeneth