Holibrae

Best/Easiest way to subscribe to Dragon Quest X?

Hi everyone. I just started playing DQX this past weekend and I can honestly say I love it! I'm thinking of buying a copy. Sadly Playasia is sold out of PC copies right now but I did see that amazon.co.jp has digital copies available. That being said is there an easy way to subscribe to the game once I pick up a full copy? The SE site says that no foreign credit cards will be accepted. My guess is the Crysta is the best way to go? However I can't seem to find out where to buy it outside of the SE page.

Also in regards to the Nintendo Switch version of the game how would you subscribe with that version and could you use Crysta for that version as well to avoid needing a Japanese eShop account? Finally if I buy a Switch cartridge is it just as simple as putting it in the system and playing it (of course after registering the product on their website and securing a subscription)?

Hi everyone. I just started playing DQX this past weekend and I can honestly say I love it! I'm thinking of buying a copy. Sadly Playasia is sold out of PC copies right now but I did see that amazon.co.jp has digital copies available. That being said is there an easy way to subscribe to the game once I pick up a full copy? The SE site says that no foreign credit cards will be accepted. My guess is the Crysta is the best way to go? However I can't seem to find out where to buy it outside of the SE page.
Also in regards to the Nintendo Switch version of the game how would you subscribe with that version and could you use Crysta for that version as well to avoid needing a Japanese eShop account? Finally if I buy a Switch cartridge is it just as simple as putting it in the system and playing it (of course after registering the product on their website and securing a subscription)?
Switch version is currently the easiest way to play if you're in the US. You do not use Crysta. You buy Yen gift cards from PlayAsia and redeem them to a Japanese Switch account (ask me if you don't know how to make one). You can then subscribe using your eshop account balance, no Crysta required.

There is no physical Switch version sadly. Any physical packages sold online simply contain a download code. Its easiest to just purchase a digital copy using a JP Switch account and the above mentioned Yen Card method.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Switch version is currently the easiest way to play if you're in the US. You do not use Crysta. You buy Yen gift cards from PlayAsia and redeem them to a Japanese Switch account (ask me if you don't know how to make one). You can then subscribe using your eshop account balance, no Crysta required.

There is no physical Switch version sadly. Any physical packages sold online simply contain a download code. Its easiest to just purchase a digital copy using a JP Switch account and the above mentioned Yen Card method.

Thank you, yes if you could tell me how to createa JP eShop account that'd be great! Also quick question, I'm currently playing without a VPN on PC and it's working alright so far (I guess they never reinstated the US block once it came down back in July). Would my switch version be able to work just like the PC version without a VPN? I don't really know how to use a VPN with the switch (just in Windows). Lastly is the Yen card a Nintendo eShop card or something entirely on its own? I did notice on some eShop screenshots they allowed Paypal also?

Thank you, yes if you could tell me how to createa JP eShop account that'd be great! Also quick question, I'm currently playing without a VPN on PC and it's working alright so far (I guess they never reinstated the US block once it came down back in July). Would my switch version be able to work just like the PC version without a VPN? I don't really know how to use a VPN with the switch (just in Windows). Lastly is the Yen card a Nintendo eShop card or something entirely on its own? I did notice on some eShop screenshots they allowed Paypal also?
Making a JP acct is pretty easy. This website should be able to walk you through it (https://www.gamesradar.com/3-easy-steps-to-setup-your-nintendo-switch-for-imports-with-a-japanese-eshop-account/).

They have lifted the IP restriction for US and China players. Nobody knows if it will be reinstated. You currently do not need a VPN to play on Switch in the US.

If they were to reinstate the IP block then you need to run your Switch through a VPN. There is a guide on how to do so here (
) just in case that possibility ever arises.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. If you get the game up and running be sure to request to join the Dragons Den Team.
  • Like 1

Thanks that helps a lot! I'll have to give it a try tonight and see if I can download the trial onto my Switch. I'm really loving Dragon Quest XI on switch right now and I've always played Dragon Quest on Nintendo systems personally :overjoyed2:

On a side note I wish they'd release the sales numbers for Dragon Quest games here in the US, I'd love to see how well they're doing (or not). It's my favorite Japanese game franchise.

*Edit* I just read the link you sent me. You weren't kidding it is super easy! Fingers crossed that my bank will let me make purchases on there because that'd just streamline the entire process altogether lol.

Also a follow up question: On PC I can use my keyboard to type in English (not that I've talked to anyone) how do you communicate on Switch?

Edited by Holibrae

Thanks that helps a lot! I'll have to give it a try tonight and see if I can download the trial onto my Switch. I'm really loving Dragon Quest XI on switch right now and I've always played Dragon Quest on Nintendo systems personally :overjoyed2:
On a side note I wish they'd release the sales numbers for Dragon Quest games here in the US, I'd love to see how well they're doing (or not). It's my favorite Japanese game franchise.
I don't believe there is a trial available for Switch. You have to buy the full game up front.

Trial is limited to PC only, if I'm not mistaken. Sorry, should have mentioned that earlier.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I don't believe there is a trial available for Switch. You have to buy the full game up front.

Trial is limited to PC only, if I'm not mistaken. Sorry, should have mentioned that earlier.

Sounds good, I can keep playing on PC till I get the "fun money" together to buy a copy of the Switch version. Also I edited the previous post but just in case:

Also a follow up question: On PC I can use my keyboard to type in English (not that I've talked to anyone) how do you communicate on Switch?

Again thank you for all your help!

Again thank you for all your help!

You can communicate either by using the touchscreen keyboard built into the Switch OS (not ideal) or through the DQX mobile app (super useful, even if it's difficult to understand). I have a link to the Android version but I'm unsure how to obtain it on iOS.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

You can communicate either by using the touchscreen keyboard built into the Switch OS (not ideal) or through the DQX mobile app (super useful, even if it's difficult to understand). I have a link to the Android version but I'm unsure how to obtain it on iOS.

Ahh darn, yah I have an iPhone myself and my Android tablet that Verizon gave to me died :cry:. With the in game chat can you at least use the d-pad/joy stick to type things in rather than tapping away at your screen?

@AustNerevar I was checking out the Japanese eShop page on my computer which reminded me... do I need a Nintendo Switch Online subscription to play as well? If so would I be able to use my normal US based subscription or would I need to subscribe with my Japanese Nintendo account as well?

You know I don't actually know if you have to have an online sub as I have never played the game without one. However, if you do, you won't need a JP one. You are only creating the JP acct to purchase the game. Once you do, you can use your regular US Switch acct to actually play the game.

Ahh darn, yah I have an iPhone myself and my Android tablet that Verizon gave to me died :cry:. With the in game chat can you at least use the d-pad/joy stick to type things in rather than tapping away at your screen?
Umm I believe so yes. I've found it easier to use touch
  • Like 1

I may be doing something wrong but every time I try to go to Dragon Quext X on the eShop it says:

Error code 9001-1670
This content is not currently available.

Have they removed the game from the eShop? I tried using the link on the main DQX page and it also leads to the same page. This is where I'm seeing it:

https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/bundles/70070000001881

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

*Edit* I guess I figured it out in a weird way. I typed in "5000" and it brought it up in the eShop on my switch. No matter what I do I can't get it to show up on the eShop web version.

Edited by Holibrae

I may be doing something wrong but every time I try to go to Dragon Quext X on the eShop it says:

Error code 9001-1670

This content is not currently available.

Are you sure you're using the JP acct? I just went to it on my Switch using my JP acct and it pulled up normally.

2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Are you sure you're using the JP acct? I just went to it on my Switch using my JP acct and it pulled up normally.

Yah it's a JP account, the entire shop is in Japanese. I did find it I just had to go about it in a weird way. Also I saw in another thread that when you go to buy a subscription for the Switch version there is an option/link for it in the main menu of the game, is that correct?

Yah it's a JP account, the entire shop is in Japanese. I did find it I just had to go about it in a weird way. Also I saw in another thread that when you go to buy a subscription for the Switch version there is an option/link for it in the main menu of the game, is that correct?
Yes there is. In that case, when you're ready to purchase time, you will need to launch the game with your JP acct.

Hope it's alright if I piggyback off this topic,

Been playing the PC trial for a few months now and really liking it, and I had a couple questions regarding buying and subscribing were I to choose to get the game (the "Buying from the Square Enix Store" thread seems to be a little outdated).

I'd rather play on my PC than my Switch, so I feel like Crysta is the best/only way to go with that. Am I able to buy Crysta on my JP Square Enix account with my American PayPal account? Or do I need to buy Webmoney or something with my PayPal first and daisy chain with that?

As for actually buying the game, if I'm logged in to my JP Square Enix account when I buy the game from the JP store (assuming I have the Crysta for it), do I still need to enter a product key somewhere once I buy/download the game (or "games" since I don't think there's an All-In-One with v5 yet), or will being logged in with my account when I buy it link it automatically? I'm just a little concerned about navigating the launcher all in Japanese to try to find where to enter the product key.

Thanks in advance!

You should be able to enter the code in Hiroba.

I suppose you can try buying crysta with Paypal.  I don't remember seeing an option to buy Crystal with Pay Pal when I get it.  I always have to buy Webmoney to get Crysta.

• Like 1

Oh nice, thank you. If you can use Webmoney to buy Crysta and people here do that, I can assume it's a safe transaction to make. I only wanted to use PayPal because I thought that would be the easiest not-daisy-chaining method. I'll make an account soon and buy the game in the near future.

Thanks again!