Favorite AND Least favourite character of the series?

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

Of course then she became a Kickass Sage with tons of spells and became the best character ever. Win-win.

That was pretty sweet. Playing with strong enemies, she and Rab make a good team in battle as they can cover healing, buffs and/or damage depending on the situations. I found myself keeping both in the active party in the final dungeon of Act 2 because it was so easy to have one lay on party buffs while the other increased their damage/healing capabilities for instance. They both absolutely helped out with the final boss fights.

• Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hahaha, sorry, it just amused me.

Favorites: I: Dragon Lord. Not many memorable characters in this game, really. The Dragon Lord is the only one with any real personality. So odd for me to say this. II: Princess of Moonbrook

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Care to explain why? I haven't encountered him yet.

There’s nothing to explain. He’s a bland character that has no importance to the game once you finish the dungeon he’s required for. He’s pretty much a church NPC who was promoted to a playable character role for no real reason. You’ll find out why once you play it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
17 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

There’s nothing to explain. He’s a bland character that has no importance to the game once you finish the dungeon he’s required for. He’s pretty much a church NPC who was promoted to a playable character role for no real reason. You’ll find out why once you play it.

Damn that sucks. That idea of the preacher who saves your game joining your party sounds cool. I can't believe they #$*!ed it up.

15 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Haha. Yeah, she had a landmark DQ character moment. Too bad you’re favorite hero didn’t get one too, eh? 😘

All joking aside real quick, Serena does have some great character development in Act 2 of the game. I figure (and the game points to it if I remember right) that Serena was always kind of in Veronica’s shadow, so she’s a lot more easy going and follows along instead of taking action. Act 2 stuff happens and we see Serena really grow as a character.

Yeah, I'll give you that. There is some redemption at the end, but idk, too little too late, I guess? 

I just didn't feel that connected to the first version of her, so the intended, "Shock Factor" of the haircut and personality change just didn't do much for me. 

Anyways, I don't hate her by any means, just can't think of a particular reason to like her. 

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Yeah, I'll give you that. There is some redemption at the end, but idk, too little too late, I guess? 

I just didn't feel that connected to the first version of her, so the intended, "Shock Factor" of the haircut and personality change just didn't do much for me. 

Anyways, I don't hate her by any means, just can't think of a particular reason to like her. 

Funny, I never saw her cutting her hair as a shocking moment. I guess with the set up the people from her village do that for spoiler reasons, her doing it seemed fitting. Her personality does stay the same for the most part too, but she does show a lot more confidence in her abilities and what she’s capable of.

But again, I totally get where people come from when they say Serena isn’t their favorite or if her act 2 scenes are too little, too late.

About the haircut, I heard this once on a podcast as looking it up, there's symbolism there culturally in Japan.

Cutting hair "an end to an era of someone's life, and the beginning of another. It's a grand gesture that is really only noticed when people are looking for symbolism."

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2018-05-16/.131616#:~:text=The%20hair%20chopping%20was%20greatly,enjoy%20a%20higher%20social%20status.

When done out of volition rather than grim necessity, it (the haircut) vividly represents one individual’s resolve to make a dramatic break with her own past: to divide time between “the old me” and “the me there is now”.

https://jp.learnoutlive.com/drama-cutting-off-ones-hair-in-japan/

13 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

there's symbolism there culturally in Japan.

This can be find in many popular games and movie too. The most vivid examples that come to my mind are Garnet/Dagger from FFIX, Jinora from The Legend of Korra (tho it can be extended to all of the Air Nomads) and in Mulan too. 

Heck, There's even some of that symbolism in The Walking Dead, when Shawn shave his head clean. And in the army I guess too. Like new soldiers usually get their hair shaved right? I'd say hair represent one's personality. What you do with your hair reflects who you are. If you take care of them this'll mean you take care of yourself, if you don't that you don't value look/appearances stuff like that. 

From what I can remember from my hystory classes, the death camp from WWII saw the "inmates" being shaved cleaned too. I guess this was a way to suppress their own personnal identity amon other things. Kinda like what happens in V for Vendetta, when  Nathalie Portman gets her head shaved too.

A new hairstyle for a new lifestyle I guess.

Favourite: Maribel. Confident, hot-headed and a little ridiculous, there is never a dull moment when she's in the party. Not only does she provide colour commentary on events (which are always amusing), but she frequently tears into and calls out other characters for their behaviour and attitudes— particularly casual sexism. But beyond being the all-time MVP of party chat, she's also genuinely thoughtful, caring and considerate, which is slowly teased out before becoming her defining arc. She's well-rounded in ways that comedic characters rarely get to be.

Least favourite: Angelo. I've never liked the flirt/womanizer type of character in RPGs, so he had that going against him from the start, but Angelo is a particularly odious case; not only is he unbearably smug, but the target of his advances— Jessica— is having none of it, so he comes across as a pushy creep. Calling him "favourite" at all is a misnomer— he's one of the few characters in the series that I actively dislike.

• Like 1

Yes! Yes to all of what Sham said! 

Maribel is perfect, Angelo is poop. 

I mean, I guess people can appreciate Angelo because of his brother. Yeah. I like how Angelo makes Marcello even better too. 😌