Stuner50

Favorite AND Least favourite character of the series?

Let's avoid generic NPCs (or the classes of DQ3)  or Monsters just to get a bit more specific.

Favourite:

Pavo from Dragon Quest IX: Probably one of my favourite designs of the whole series, she looks badass as #$*!.

Zankrone from Dragon Quest X: Probably my favourite character from DQX, his armour and big ass sword are pretty #$*!ing cool.

Isla from Dragon Quest Heroes: I love her hat and her personality is funny one of my favourites.

Melonie from Joker 2: I know she's probably the least relevant character of the crew, but i've always loved her design.

Pankraz from Dragon Quest V: Whoa, this dude is #$*!ing badass! i wish he was playable in Heroes 1 or 2.

Least Faovurite:

Sancho from Dragon Quest V:  Dude is just overdesigned, his desing is like too busy and his personality is not that great either.

Nevan from Dragon Quest VI: Do i really have to explain why?

Gemma from Dragon Quest XI: I swear to god if i hear the word "crickey" one more time.

Lazarel from Heroes 2: Holy #$*!ing yikes, both awful design and personality probably the worst character in the series.

Stella from Dragon Quest IX: I will always say it her character design doesn't fit the DQ world...it would be more apropiate if she was a cowboy fairy than a gyaru fiary

Favorite characters:

Kiefer from Dragon Quest VII. The one who found the one true biggest adventure of them all: love. Yearning for freedom to escape a duty he didn't want, and whose willingness to still help his best friend was passed through time to his descendant (who might even be her reincarnation). What an awesome character. 

Maribel from Dragon Quest VII. She's just adorable at trying to be mean, while she is obviously enjoying running from past to present with the rest of the crew. 

Psaro the Manslayer, from Dragon Quest IV. The OG Seohiroth except he is consistent and has a good motivation for his goal. A little bit over dramatic if you ask me, but it works. Plus him getting a redemption arc in the DS remake makes him into a wonderfully written guy. 

Gemma, from Dragon Quest XI. I mean, I could never have enough of her "crikey". Her voice is soother than Bob Ross to me. 

Yanack, from Dragon Quest Abel Legend something. I don't recall one episode where he wasn't funny in one way or another. A pretty decent mage, he knows how to be efficient in battle. Plus, I want his flying basket so bad! 

Least favorite:

Angelo from Dragon Quest VIII. An insufferable twat is what he is. I wish I could have gotten Marcelo in my team instead of his arrogant and nitwit of a brother.

Veronica from Dragon Quest XI. I can see they tried to make her a lovable Maribel-like character, but oh boy did they fail. Not only was she a pain in part 1 of the game, but she also prompt the part 2 which is even worse. Ugh. Booh to you Veronica. 

Edited by Xiggy

29 minutes ago, Xiggy said:

Favorite characters:

Maribel from Dragon Quest VII. She's just adorable at trying to be mean, while she is obviously enjoying running from past to present with the rest of the crew. 

Least favorite:

Veronica from Dragon Quest XI. I can see they tried to make her a lovable Maribel-like character, but oh boy did they fail. Not only was she a pain in part 1 of the game, but she also prompt the part 2 which is even worse. Ugh. Booh to you Veronica. 

8BF149F0-19EA-4C7A-8857-D65613782E20.thumb.jpeg.f338cd164439df2bdafcbd81453e6c62.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, eal said:

8BF149F0-19EA-4C7A-8857-D65613782E20.thumb.jpeg.f338cd164439df2bdafcbd81453e6c62.jpeg

I’m wondering that same thing eal. Veronica has redeeming qualities to her unlike Maribel. Plus Veronica isn’t constantly #$*!ing at the hero every 5 seconds.

Anyway...

Favorite: Yangus.

Least Favorite: Ashlynn.

10 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m wondering that same thing eal. Veronica has redeeming qualities to her unlike Maribel. Plus Veronica isn’t constantly #$*!ing at the hero every 5 seconds.

Based only on how far I’ve gotten in XI, Veronica is an improved and refined Maribel. Almost like an apology for Maribel.

Favorites:
Torneko Taloon - loving chubby hubby
Yangus - lovable chubby bandit
Cristo - the best DQIV character! Paladin before Paladins were a thing
Sylvando - he's splendid, darling!
Amos - dude is a Beast, the Hero of DQVI
Stella - best part of DQIX. When I made the perler bead Veronica for DQXI, I made her dressed in her Stella gear

Least favorite:
Gemma - I feel this is the least developed character that's meaningful in any game. Pointless person.
Maribel - pure #$*!. There's a whole topic on how bad she is
Every DQVI character but Amos - they suck
Flora - shoehorned into DQV before people complained her sister was in the remake

30 minutes ago, eal said:

Based only on how far I’ve gotten in XI, Veronica is an improved and refined Maribel. Almost like an apology for Maribel.

Veronica is pretty obnoxious when you first meet her in Hotto (which actually makes sense given her situation and trying to reduce her sister), but after that section she becomes much better and actually gets along/likes everyone in the party. Hell, she even apologies for snide comments she makes towards Rab and Jade at one point, as well as other actions that make her a likeable character.

• Like 1

I personally doubt Gemma is the least devoloped and pointless "important" character of the whole series, i can think of some characters least devoloped/important than her:

Nevan from VI

Melonie (As much i like her) and the glasses guy from Joker 2.

Desdemona from Heroes 2

Anlace from Swords

Sterling from Dragon Quest IX

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

She even apologies for snide comments she makes towards Rab and Jade at one point, as well as other actions

Which makes her far less lovable than Maribel. Maribel does not lower herself to say "sorry", for she is undoubtedly greater than the other characters. :D

Plus, party chat in VII makes it obvious that she actually cares a lot about Auster and the rest of the team. She's just bad at expressing her feeling is all! :3 

I just assume anyone who loves Maribel wants to have a girlfriend who’s a #$*! to them or is the dominant one of the relationship.

We all have our own forms of masochism, after all.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I feel like the weakest DQ characters are the ones that are more forgettable than anything. DQVI and DQVII--despite how long they were--kind of dropped the ball here in particular. Nevan, Millie, Aishe, and to a lesser extent, Mervyn are all characters I struggle to remember. Not sure if I really like the original cast members in the Heroes games either.

My favorites would be Erdrick, Taloon, Alena, Bianca, and Yangus. DQXI's cast is impressive too but I'll wait until I'm done with it before I pick a favorite from that game.

I personally doubt Gemma is the least devoloped and pointless "important" character of the whole series, i can think of some characters least devoloped/important than her:

Nevan from VI

Touché

If I see one more person bash on Veronica I will call upon the wrath of the elder gods to smite you where you stand.

Favorites:

TORNEKO MOTHA#$*!IN TALOON

Erdrick

Veronica

Sylvando

Psaro

Ashlynn (even though I never used her)

Milly

Least favorite:

The twins from DQ IV

The boomerang lady in DQ Heroes

The main guy character in DQ Heroes

Sancho

Nevan

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Anyway...

Favorite: Yangus.

Least Favorite: Ashlynn.

Wait you like Yangus?

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

55 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Wait you like Yangus?

Whoops. Just realized my post had a typo...

Favorite: Prince Charmles

Least Favorite: Ashlynn

There. That’s better.

• Like 1

Whoops. Just realized my post had a typo...
Favorite: Prince Charmles
Least Favorite: Ashlynn

There. That’s better.
He's a charmer. Won my

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I just assume anyone who loves Maribel wants to have a girlfriend who’s a #$*! to them or is the dominant one of the relationship.

We all have our own forms of masochism, after all.

Sounds like he’d be a good fan of Prison School, by that metric.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, eal said:

Sounds like he’d be a good fan of Prison School, by that metric.

The thing with the yellow tentacle alien? Why would I be? 🤔

And nah, I just like having a character that's just not always praising the chosen hero for a change. The ragazza has GUSTO so to speak. She's fiery and fierce, but also kind when needed. In other words she's not uni-dimensional like the other characters -save for Kiefer who's also awesome and that I totally forgot to mention as one of my favorite characters-. 

7 hours ago, Xiggy said:

And nah, I just like having a character that's just not always praising the chosen hero for a change. The ragazza has GUSTO so to speak. She's fiery and fierce, but also kind when needed. In other words she's not uni-dimensional like the other characters -save for Kiefer who's also awesome and that I totally forgot to mention as one of my favorite characters-. 

WHERE’S A DOWNVOTE BUTTON WHEN YOU NEED ONE.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Xiggy said:

I’m not an anime/manga fan and even I know the yellow tentacle alien guy you’re talking about isn’t from Prison School. He’s from something else entirely.

21 minutes ago, eal said:

WHERE’S A DOWNVOTE BUTTON WHEN YOU NEED ONE.

I hope they never make it cause you'd all be able to see how bad my hot takes really are.

9 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I hope they never make it cause you'd all be able to see how bad my hot takes really are.

There used to be one. A small handful of users had negative reputation for a bit.

48 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m not an anime/manga fan and even I know the yellow tentacle alien guy you’re talking about isn’t from Prison School. He’s from something else entirely.

Assassination Classroom.

Prison School is the one with the 5 boys at a formerly all-girl school getting placed into the school prison and being abused by the Shadow Student Council, but one of them has a date and the other wants a limited edition figure so they plot an escape.

34 minutes ago, eal said:

Assassination Classroom.

Prison School is the one with the 5 boys at a formerly all-girl school getting placed into the school prison and being abused by the Shadow Student Council, but one of them has a date and the other wants a limited edition figure so they plot an escape.

I was close. I thought it was called Assassin’s Classroom.

My High School English teacher taught us the easy way to spell assassination or assassin is to write "ass" twice.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1