Stuner50

Hmp! The Dragon Quest fanbase has a bunch of meanies...

I'm a long time dragon quest fan and im upset how toxic some part of the fanbase can be, forcing me to like Dragon Quest II (horrible game imo) or downplay my opinions!

Why i do have to like DQ2 and why i can't express my dislike towards it?? what?? thats what communities are for.

Hell, i got warned in the dragon quest general because i want Dragon Quest on a steampunk or futuristic setting! and i like to talk a lot about Dragon Quest Heroes 3 because it's what a fan of the series would?

• Like 1

Out of all the words I could use to describe the DQ community, toxic isn't one of them. There aren't enough of us yet for that to be a problem, I feel.

• Like 4

Who is forcing you to like DQ II? I personally think the game is terrible even after the SFC changes. I have stated this several times in various communities and never had an issue with it. Even here a couple times. People also mention how much they dislike VI and IX several times here. It is pretty much tradition.

Most people who disagree with you are not forcing their opinion on you. Even if they are, is it really worth getting worked over on? Especially on video games of all things.

Dragon Quest already has some futuristic themes. They are just reserved with spinoffs. Which is how it should be IMO.

...where did this happen?  I've never seen it here, not on GameFAQs.  I've never seen it in my social circles on social media.

That's pretty crappy since DQ2 is widely believed by almost all DQ fans, to be one of the hardest to get into, and one of the least liked in the series.  Hell, I'd be hard pressed to find anyone here aside from myself who actually enjoys the experience thoroughly.  I certainly wouldn't condemn you for not being a fan.  It's a poorly paced game that jacks up difficulty sporadically due to lack of focus after you get the ship.  Everything leading up to the ship is just reasonably difficult, but not obtuse, as there was definite thought put into it.  However, even Horii himself has admitted in at least one interview, that DQ2 had a lot of flaws in focus due to time limitations and the sheer scope and size of the world.  Plus he was busy working on marketing and coordinating with Shonen Jump to use his contacts and friends there to help promote DQ2 and by virtue of 2, DQ1.  So he wasn't fully focused on game development, and this apparently occurred after the ship.

So even from the creator's mouth, it's not a fully fleshed out experience, and it took until the mobile ports for some time to be spent fixing the obvious story direction flaws, and even then, it's not perfect...it would have to be remade from the ground up to properly solve the issues.

=========

You were warned over that?  Is that what really happened, or is there more to the story?  I'm just asking because that seems a little odd.  We've had talks about futuristic DQ before, and while there was a lot of disagreement, there weren't any warnings for the suggesting or postulating how it would look or play.  Only when someone went out of line in how they presented their case.

So I am a tad incredulous that you would be attacked for having made that suggestion.  I believe I took part in the most recent discussion over it, at least a post, and I don't remember anyone shutting down opinions.  I would be the closest one, but only in the sense that I don't think it would work, as DQ is..well, it's a fantasy game with some robots that pop up, and on occasion, some technological elements, but they're explained away, or done in a way that makes them magically oriented, not science fabricated.  DQ7's mech base for example.

The issue though is it would undermine the focus of DQ in being DQ, which is a main draw for the fanbase.  I can see a spinoff series, but it's not FF, which seeks to revise and rebuild itself in some capacity each game.  DQ is about maintaining a sense of similarity.  Growing and developing off the same basic premise, and any complexities and add-on elements draw from that association of the similar, the known, which develops a certain harmonization where each DQ still feels like DQ, something a Sci-Fi or Steampunk world would undo.  It would also kill the series far more effectively than an MMO experience ever could.  It has to be mystical and magical, and mechanical elements need to have that sense of wonder, or it doesn't work in context with the flow of the series.

Sure, I get the desire to see a different and new direction.  I can see sci-fi elements added INTO a DQ, maybe some steampunk elements added in, but it would have to be a town, or area, not the world as a whole, or it undoes that illusion.

You might say I'm shutting you down, as you clearly felt in the other discussion, but am I, and are not others allowed to disagree or present an argument why we wouldn't like it?  Why it would be detrimental?

...more later, I'll return.

• Like 3

Oh. It's this guy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Dwaine

Who said you had to like DQ2? Or complained about you mentioning a future setting or about you talking about DQ Heroes 3?

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, methinks.

Spoiler

Or something smells fishy here.

I'm a long time dragon quest fan and im upset how toxic some part of the fanbase can be, forcing me to like Dragon Quest II (horrible game imo) or downplay my opinions!
Why i do have to like DQ2 and why i can't express my dislike towards it?? what?? thats what communities are for.
Hell, i got warned in the dragon quest general because i want Dragon Quest on a steampunk or futuristic setting! and i like to talk a lot about Dragon Quest Heroes 3 because it's what a fan of the series would?

That's why you should hang out on the Den. I complain about DQ6 all the time.

Oh, i also don't like DQIX either, it's not a bad game but i just dont like it, not much of a fan of the blank state party...but the DQIX fans force me to like their game *shurgs*.

It seems like not liking DQIII or DQIX is a sin, and honestly im just not into those types of games, it's so annoying when people question people who dislike them!

Also i think the series NEEDS yes NEEDS some spice up in XII and beyond, let it be just setting or gameplay (it remains turn based), or maybe just a diferent type of plot: What if your party is students from a military base or an academie...what if it takes place during a war kinda like Fire Emblem?  What about a story that takes place in diferent planets? instead of just the "choosen hero" plotline of XI that was pretty generic for a 2017 game.

Maybe just give the series a new UI for once instead of the classic black square they gave us in 11 games in a row, let the series do something that's out the norm like DQ5 was.

Edited by Stuner50

Oh, i also don't like DQIX either, it's not a bad game but i just dont like it, not much of a fan of the blank state party...but the DQIX fans force me to like their game *shurgs*.
It seems like not liking DQIII or DQIX is a sin, and honestly im just not into those types of games, it's so annoying when people question people who dislike them!

Also i think the series NEEDS yes NEEDS some spice up in XII and beyond, let it be just setting or gameplay (it remains turn based), or maybe just a diferent type of plot: What if your party is students from a military base or an academie...what if it takes place during a war kinda like Fire Emblem?  What about a story that takes place in diferent planets? instead of just the "choosen hero" plotline of XI that was pretty generic for a 2017 game.
Maybe just give the series a new UI for once instead of the classic black square they gave us in 11 games in a row, let the series do something that's out the norm like DQ5 was.

Literally nobody is forcing or attempting to force you to like 9 or 3.

A lot of people don't like 9 because, without other players, it's missing a lot of content.

Seems like you're just trying to find drama where there is none. Everyone has their favorite games in the series and their least favorites. Nobody is wrong for having those opinions.

F3A3A7E7-CF6B-4070-8803-E6EC284B53BB.thumb.jpeg.db97ca82dcda7e9bcceda3ec76976264.jpeg

• Like 1

F3A3A7E7-CF6B-4070-8803-E6EC284B53BB.thumb.jpeg.db97ca82dcda7e9bcceda3ec76976264.jpeg
*shurgs*

2 hours ago, Stuner50 said:

I didn't say in this forums, i said on 4chan!

There ya go.  That's why.

Also, you did not say that until now.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

A lot of people don't like 9 because, without other players, it's missing a lot of content.

NO, THAT GAME MUST BE PURGED FROM THIS EARTH ONCE AND FOR ALL!!! Kill it with fire! Use the Shoryuken! Kamehameha it into the sun!

(And just to be clear, I’m joking. Being mean to DQ9 is my little joke.)

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

That right there is a locked topic keyword.
  • Upvote 1

Then maybe you should have led with that?

And yeah, like@ignasia said...it's 4chan? What were you expecting. That's the troll capital of the internet.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They give us such quality Joker memes.

image.png

10 hours ago, Stuner50 said:

i want Dragon Quest on a steampunk or futuristic setting!

Right back at you. I would love that in the main serie as well, after we've seen some of this in spin-off games (mainly the Joker series). As for the futuristic setting, I'd say DQX would have do it for you, since you get to travel both in the past, and on to the future (in space to be precise). Methink the upcoming Dragon Quest of the Stars might also please you on some aspects. 

7 hours ago, Stuner50 said:

What if your party is students from a military base or an academie...what if it takes place during a war kinda like Fire Emblem?  What about a story that takes place in diferent planets? instead of just the "choosen hero" plotline of XI that was pretty generic for a 2017 game.

So you want to play Personna or Fire Emblem I guess? 

Different planets is a yes for me (although one could argue that different worlds are kinda like different planets). Space travel or just different worlds unrelated to each other could be a lot of fun, I agree. The whole student/military academy however, sounds terrible in my opinion. Let's not mix DQ with some other low-tier RPG shall we? 😏

3 hours ago, Dwaine said:

They give us such quality Joker memes.

image.png

5AD9D46A-4CA5-49E9-AA59-0BC2FF3FD05B.jpeg.b99cca96de4fd0e49d6cf033e4258bdf.jpeg

Hey, the old saying "Fire Emblem fans can't live without stirring drama" keeps proving itself true.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stuner50 said:

What if your party is students from a military base or an academie

Play Trails of Cold Steel. Your wish will be granted.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mefista said:

Hey, the old saying "Fire Emblem fans can't live without stirring drama" keeps proving itself true.

I mean, one of the big selling points of Fire Emblem is Support Conversations, so that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Play Trails of Cold Steel. Your wish will be granted.

My thoughts exactly when I saw that comment.

I've had a few disagreements with people on here but I don't think I've ever had things get too uncivil. Closest I've seen was that one time we got raided by Fire Emblem Fanbois for some reason but even then they seemed more reasonable than people I've had to had to deal with in other parts of the internet. I'll put some of my unpopular opinions here if it will make you feel better.

Lets see...

Dragon Quest I has aged like milk. (actually not sure how unpopular that is but damn is that game hard to get into even as someone who loves to play older games)

Dragon Quest IX is the best game in the series.

While DQ8's Orchestral soundtrack is nice to listen to on its own but when its used in game it makes all the music in the game way too soft and homogeneous. The synthetic is way more effective in in boosting the energy of the game where it needs to, but with the orchestral tracks I'm constantly fighting sleep the entire game.

I'm sure I've pissed at least one person off with that last one in particular.

Edited by SlimeVagrant
Was seeing things that wasn't there o.o

As for the futuristic setting, I'd say DQX would have do it for you, since you get to travel both in the past, and on to the future (in space to be precise).

Don't forget the side quest where you literally go to the moon and fight alien invaders on their UFO to save bunny girls that live on said moon.

No, I am not making any of that up.
  • Like 3