Dragon Quest Abel lost episode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_(TV_series)

33 (not included on home video) "A New Determination for the Heroes!"
Transcription: "Yuusha-tachi no Arata Naru Ketsui!!" (Japanese: たちの新たなる決意!!)
January 11, 1990

I was looking at the recent fansub release of the series and noticed that an episode was missing, so when I went to the wiki it seems like Episode 33 of the original run of the series was left off of the home video release for the late 80s early 90s Dragon Quest Abel Yuusha anime.

This is a long shot, but would any of the Japanese fans out there have a VHS dub or digital copy of the original run of the series that might have this episode included? From what I understand piracy is harshly criminalized in Japan, so the odds are against this being available on a torrent site somewhere. If we can't find a fan who backed up this lost episode it may be gone like so many junked episodes of early Doctor Who.

Any ideas on Japanese DQ forums where we might be able to reach out to a larger audience of oldschool DQ fans from Japan?

• 2 months later...

Were you able to get it? It's currently got 15 leechers and 0 seeders.

Awesome! Thanks!

Ah, I already sent it to the guy who fansubbed most of the series.

Alright. If he can get it done faster that works. I'll check back in after this weekend. If you can let me know if he's able to do it I can ask the fan subber not to worry about it.

It's gonna cost me $30 though. I can pay it, or anyone else who wants to can. Same day translation. I just noticed that the last few minutes of the TV/DVD version of episode 32 is on the last few minutes of the lost episode 33.

Episode 32 ended like normal on both TV and DVD versions Then there was a 4 month break. After that, Episode 33 aired, then had showed what happened before the events with Adonis, and the last few minutes showed what we see on episode 32

Edited by DranzerX13

Nice! Thanks so much for facilitating! I'll ask my contact to hold off, then.

Nice, good find

Also, there is an additional 25 second scene not shown in the TV version that was is the DVD version. 11:50 to 12:15. The audio is off by a second or so, but it isn't my rip. I plan on fixing it when I upload the subs.

Edited by DranzerX13

Torrent: https://nyaa.si/view/1214491

DDL: https://mega.nz/#!d4tWyYrR!kCHHvi-kqPEYet27l_-LiLBOXf-9-IE1Ln0pPctUHko

I made more than a few dialogue corrections in this release.

bluesun translated some stuff for me from the Japanese wikipedia for Dragon Quest: Legend of the Hero Abel. Apparently they aired 32 episodes originally and then the show got cut so the second half of episode 32 is a conversation with an old woman, who says everyone but Tiara ended up dying. Then 3 and a half months later, they actually animated a second season showing what happened, intended for foreign markets but ended up airing in Japan too. The second season ended up not killing off the main characters, so contradicts the original end of episode 32. So; they combined 32+33 into one episode three and a half months later to avoid the issue.

On the retail DVD BOX set,
Disc 9, the extra disc apparently contains:

‘Digest version of episodes 1-4’ probably the recap special that aired after episode 4
original broadcast version of the last episode of season 1
original broadcast version of the first episode of season 2
an original recap
an original best scenes collection

Edited by DranzerX13
52 minutes ago, DranzerX13 said:

Apparently they aired 32 episodes originally and then the show got cut so the second half of episode 32 is a conversation with an old woman, who says everyone but Tiara ended up dying.

image.png

42 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

image.png

Poochie was always my favorite Dragon Quest character.

I just watched both versions of Dragon Quest Abel episode 42. Both versions are the same until after the eyecatch. The second half has a lot of changes, and an alternate ending not shown on the DVD/Remaster version.

I'm a little confused. So there's a lost episode of the lost episode of Abel Yuusha?

Every time I refer to lost episode, it sounds like I'm talking about an episode of the show Lost. I'm glad there wasn't a lost episode of Lost or I'd be completely lost.

• Like 1

The final episode of the first season (episode 32) TV Broadcast version. When the DVD Box set came out, they made a lot of changes because they made a second season.

Episode 32 TV Broadcast version DVD rip:

https://mega.nz/#!H8hDBAyZ!sdiX6kWo9NCUUu-Cfj5eXOpGG_bxslHpaZpeGBKP_oQ

I made a post about this on Element7's YouTube channel:

Actually it was included on the DVDs, but on the extras disc. The extra disc featured the TV broadcast version of episode 32, and the TV broadcast version of episode 33. The TV broadcast version of episode 32 and the DVD/Remastered TV airing on Animax was the exact same till the eyecatch. After that, the scenes differ, and the main characters get killed, then an old woman appears to be reading a story book to 2 kids that look like descendants of Abel and Tiara. I have the DVD rip of the lost episode subbed already, It's on nyaa. Make sure to credit PlumJucie, as she translated the lost episode. I have the DVD rip of the TV broadcast of episode 32 as well.

Edited by DranzerX13
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm a bit late to the party. Sadly most of the mega links are down. Where they the links to see the episode where the main characters get killed? Cause that's definitely something I'm curious to see. 

I mean, what a ballsy move to end your serie with heroes diying. 

EDIT: I am even slower than I thought haha, didn't see the first reply with where to look on the torrent file. Hopefully I'll get to watch the ending I want to see. :D

Edited by Xiggy
  • 4 months later...
On 1/7/2020 at 3:32 PM, DranzerX13 said:

It's gonna cost me $30 though. I can pay it, or anyone else who wants to can. Same day translation. I just noticed that the last few minutes of the TV/DVD version of episode 32 is on the last few minutes of the lost episode 33.

Episode 32 ended like normal on both TV and DVD versions Then there was a 4 month break. After that, Episode 33 aired, then had showed what happened before the events with Adonis, and the last few minutes showed what we see on episode 32

Is it really that affordable to hire a translator for subs?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...