Slimeknight

Any word on a Western release of the Dragon Quest 5 film?

I haven't heard anything.

I am looking forward to it.
Don't. 4a38fa9d20b56e486c70f6e7c4c11ee1.jpg
  • Like 1

It didn't even get good reviews in Japan. Not sure we'll see it here. It would be unlikely even if the fans liked it.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

It didn't even get good reviews in Japan. Not sure we'll see it here. It would be unlikely even if the fans liked it.

We got a movie produced by a religious cult released here just because it was an anime. It even had Dylan McDermott in it. Nearly every movie makes it here nowadays, there’s no reason the same can’t be said for this one.

Edited by eal

Funny you should ask. The movie is listed on Google Play (at least in France). 

It's registered as "not yes available", which kinda make me think we'll eventually get it. That and the fact that it's on the Google Play Store. 

Screenshot_20191009-024311.jpg

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, eal said:

We got a movie produced by a religious cult released here just because it was an anime. It even had Dylan McDermott in it. Nearly every movie makes it here nowadays, there’s no reason the same can’t be said for this one.

If it comes over it will likely be through GKids. They’ve done well with handling Japan animated movies.

I hope Danny DeVito voices either Sancho or Mr. Briscoletti.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

7 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

If it comes over it will likely be through GKids. They’ve done well with handling Japan animated movies.

I hope Danny DeVito voices either Sancho or Mr. Briscoletti.

Shout! Factory has also been doing a ton of anime movies lately. Penguin Highway and A Silent Voice and all those Digimon movies for example.

13 minutes ago, eal said:

Shout! Factory has also been doing a ton of anime movies lately. Penguin Highway and A Silent Voice and all those Digimon movies for example.

I haven’t been paying attention to what SF is putting out. I do have some series compilations they’ve released, such as the Hey Arnold! one. It was great re-watching that series.

I’m behind on what even GKids is doing. I didn’t realize they had taken over for the Studio Ghibli releases; found that out when I went to look for The Cat Returns and Pom Poko. I still need to get a copy of Mary & the Witch’s Flower (saw it on Netflix and really enjoyed it) and Lu Over the Wall.

Do you know if one of those two companies published Summer Wars over here? That’s another movie I’d like to get. Saw it on Toonami a few years ago and it was a pretty good film.

8 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I haven’t been paying attention to what SF is putting out. I do have some series compilations they’ve released, such as the Hey Arnold! one. It was great re-watching that series.

I’m behind on what even GKids is doing. I didn’t realize they had taken over for the Studio Ghibli releases; found that out when I went to look for The Cat Returns and Pom Poko. I still need to get a copy of Mary & the Witch’s Flower (saw it on Netflix and really enjoyed it) and Lu Over the Wall.

Do you know if one of those two companies published Summer Wars over here? That’s another movie I’d like to get. Saw it on Toonami a few years ago and it was a pretty good film.

Summer Wars was from Funimation. They did all of the Mamoru Hosoda movies up until Mirai, which was GKids.

GKids does all the Ghibli movies and potentially the Satoshi Kon movies (they released Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress this year, leaving Tokyo Godfathers as the only out-of-print movie in his catalogue). They do a lot of non-Japanese foreign animated movies too. I’d like to see A Cat in Paris at some point.

Haven't heard anything yet.

I'd be pretty surprised if it gets an official release, but we talk about it a lot in our upcoming Slime Time podcast with Pendy (coming soon).

https://twitter.com/DQSlimeTime

Edited by Liamland
  • Like 1

I'd be pretty surprised if it gets an official release, but we talk about it a lot in our upcoming Slime Time podcast with Pendy (coming soon).
https://twitter.com/DQSlimeTime

Yeah, someone needs to get around to editing that!