NeoDevilbane

What is the DEFINITIVE version of each numerical DQ game, on which system?

18 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Try the fight on Stronger Monsters. You’ll have SOOOOOOOOOO much fun. 

Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing through Draconian mode on a future playthrough.

26 minutes ago, Liamland said:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing through Draconian mode on a future playthrough.

Stronger enemies does improve the experience IMO. It makes you think a lot more on what the appropriate thing to do on a given turn is.

Townsfolk Talking Tripe is another good one, one they added to the Switch release. You get some pretty damn funny lines from NPCs.

• Like 1

To bring this back on topic:

Dragon Quest: GBC (expanded maps, extra NPCs/dialogue)

Dragon Quest II - Luminaries of the Legendary Line/Pantheon of the Evil Spirits: I'm going to say Switch as it should be identical in content to the iOS version but it's played with a controller. I haven't actually gotten to this version yet as it just released and I've been busy with III and XIS.

Dragon Quest III - The Seeds of Salvation/...And Into the Legend: GBC owing to the extra dungeon.

Dragon Quest IV - Chapters of the Chosen/The Guided Ones: mobile, owing to the finally-localized party chat.

Dragon Quest V - Hand of the Heavenly Bride/The Heavenly Bride: mobile or DS - these versions are practically identical. I'm tempted to give it to DS since it's got a controller, but since the Switch is not backwards compatible with DS/3DS games it's far less convenient now than it once was. Special mention to the PS2 version which would win out if it weren't for the extra content added to the DS version.

Dragon Quest VI - Realms of Revelation/Realms of Reverie: SFC/SNES, despite the lack of a completed English translation. The remakes REMOVED content, and it baffles me.

Dragon Quest VII - Fragments of the Forgotten Past/Warriors of Eden: PS1. Once again, the remakes REMOVED content, baffling me.

Dragon Quest VIII - Journey of the Cursed King/The Sky, The Earth, The Ocean, and the Cursed Princess: (*new*) 3DS. This version not only contains extra content, but it lacks the menu and system changes that the PS2 international version received (which turned me away from the game for years). This contains most of the voice acting from the PS2 international release, along with new voiced lines - it received the VO treatment in Japan this time, too! One more thing of note, though: while we had an orchestrated OST on the PS2 version and Japan got one in their 3DS release, the music has been downgraded to the old synth version worldwide. That said, if your system is running CFW it's trivial to hack the symphonic OST back into version. Final note: avoid on old 3DS due to performance, graphical, and control issues.

Dragon Quest IX - Sentinels of the Starry Skies/Protectors of the Starry Sky: DS on account of it being the only version.

Dragon Quest X - [The Undeciphered]/Rise of the Five Races ONLINE: Any Japanese version as the Chinese version was heavily censored and no longer is playable. PC version has the best graphics, though only marginally better than PS4, which is only marginally better than Switch. Supposedly it's much easier to pay the subscription fee outside Japan via the Nintendo eShop, but I haven't had to do it this way yet. Special note: The Wii version can no longer connect to the game servers, but it contains the offline mode content that was removed from all other versions via a patch. Looking for a complete experience, you'll need it as well as a version that is still live with all the expansions. However, the Wii version of Dragon Quest X can only be run on Japanese Wii consoles or in the dolphin emulator. Im aware there are methods to spoof a Wii console's region, but they are incompatible with DQX as it uses some system files that were only ever signed for Japanese region consoles and cannot be installed on others.

Dragon Quest XI - Echoes of an Elusive Age/In Search of Departed Time: DQXIS on Switch. It's literally the definitive edition. I'm told the 3DS 3D mode is also worth a play, though. Despite bring much less graphically impressive than the Unreal versions, I'm told the animations and cinematography are much more expressive and emotional in the 3DS version, leading to a better storytelling experience. Rumor is someone is still working on translating this version... We can only hope.

Putting in the Japanese subtitles? Someone’s trying to be a teacher’s pet... 😜

DQ1 - GameBoy

DQ2 - GameBoy

DQ3 - GameBoy Color

DQ4 - Mobile

DQ5 - DS

DQ6 - DS

DQ7 - PS1

DQ8 - 3DS

DQ9 - DS

DQX - PC

DQXI - Switch

On 10/9/2019 at 10:26 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Putting in the Japanese subtitles? Someone’s trying to be a teacher’s pet... 😜

Nah, I just think some of the localized subtitles are dumb, and prefer the Japanese ones.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, Erdrick The Hero said:

Nah, I just think some of the localized subtitles are dumb, and prefer the Japanese ones.

I agree.  I'm more keen on the original Japanese.  Especially for 2, 3, and 7.

Edited by ignasia

14 hours ago, ignasia said:

I agree.  I'm more keen on the original Japanese.  Especially for 2, 3, and 7.

These are actually the ones I have gripes with, myself. Not like it matters, but if I were to rename them, they'd be: "The Dark Diety of Destruction" "Legend of the Luminary" and "The Paladins of Paradise".

• Like 1

Well, Paladins are a pretty sweet class in the remake of DQ7. Though if we did rename it to that, let’s slap in Cecil from Final Fantasy IV for shits and giggles, preferably post Mount Ordeals. 😜

• Like 1

A member from long ago suggested Protectors of Paradise. I still, to this day, believe that would be the most fitting subtitle for 7.

Some of these versions I have never played or finished and I am judging based on screenshots, commercials, or other video.

Dragon Quest 1- Super Famicom

Dragon Quest 2-Super Famicom.  The Battlebacks including Battleback edges are better than the IOS version.  Also cool graphic of castle at beginning.

Dragon Quest 3-Super Famicom. Identical to IOS except animations are intact.

Dragon Quest 4- PS1.  Better Battlebacks compared to IOS version and more fulfilling town creation side quest based on Dragon Warrior 7.

Dragon Quest V-Toss up between Super Famicom and PS2 mostly because of graphics.

Dragon Quest VI- Super Famicom because better graphics.

Dragon Quest 7- 3DS but my vote my change as I have not finished that version yet.

The rest are either no remixes, not enough experience with game, and I haven’t played Dragon Quest 8 yet or finished 11. 

1 hour ago, Slimeknight said:

Dragon Quest 3-Super Famicom. Identical to IOS except animations are intact.

The Super Famicom version also has the Pachisi boards still intact. That’s a pretty significant difference along with the monster animations.

• Like 1

As someone who has only ever played remakes of main series DQ games except for IX, and XI it's interesting to see the different takes on these. Especially how people seem to prefer the DS versions of IV, V, and VI, to the Mobile versions. Especially with how laggy DQ4 and to a lesser extent DQ5 were on the DS (never hear anyone mention that, seriously use swoosh on a decent sized group of enemies in DQ5 and you'll see what I mean), and how a lot of the party members in VI are locked behind the tag system on DS which is rather difficult to use, especially in the west. Though I've never played the original version of VII myself I remember there being so many complaints of cut content in the 3DS version and poorly implemented modern features. Even having only played the 3DS version you can definitely tell that the maps were not designed to have monsters roaming around on them.  For how much crap I've heard talked about the remake I was definitely under the impression that it was generally considered inferior.

Edited by SlimeVagrant

DQ1: Switch

DQ2: Switch

DQ3: Switch

DQ4: Mobile. The party chat is worth it if you ask me.

DQ5: DS

DQ6: DS

DQ7: 3DS

DQ8: 3DS

DQ9: Only one version at this time

DQX: Never played it

DQXI: Switch

DQ 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 - Mobile

DQ 3 - GBC

DQ 7 and 8 - 3DS

DQ 11 - Switch

As far as DQ7 is concerned, I actually prefer the PS1 version, however, as far as being definitive goes, that's the 3DS version, hands down.

• Like 1

The definitive version of DQ 1 and 2 is the Super Famicom remake— which makes it difficult to pin down the definitive English version. Each version we have received has some trade-off or compromise: the NES versions have some design sensibilities that frustrate in modern times, the GBC version is a good-but-necessarily-compromised adaptation of the SFC version, with the usual claustrophobic feel of the GB; and the mobile and Switch versions are more direct ports, and have modern translations to boot, but both manage to screw up the graphics in different, but equally ugly ways. Excluding fan translations or hacks, I think the GBC version is probably the best version available in English, but it's not at the level of definitive, I don't think.

Edited by Sham hatwitch
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 3:38 PM, AustNerevar said:

My opinion:

DQ1 - Android/iOS

DQ2 - Android/iOS

DQ3 - Android/iOS

DQ4 - Android/iOS

DQ5 - Nintendo DS

DQ6 - Nintendo DS

DQ7 - Nintendo 3DS

DQ8 - Haven't played it any form

DQ9 - Only exists on Nintendo DS

DQ10 - Jpn Only, but Switch

DQ11 - Switch

Why haven't you played DQ VIII? 

It's fantastic. 

Why haven't you played DQ VIII? 

It's fantastic. 
Haven't gotten around to it.

For years I didn't have a PS2 or a PC powerful enough to emulate it.

When the 3DS port came out, I had just spent 100+ hours on DQ7 and was super burnt out on JRPGs.

And since then I haven't had time. Everytime I get in the mood for another DQ game they relrase a new version of 11 xD.

I intend to play it one day.

1 minute ago, AustNerevar said:

When the 3DS port came out, I had just spent 100+ hours on DQ7 and was super burnt out on JRPGs.

And since then I haven't had time. Everytime I get in the mood for another DQ game they relrase a new version of 11 xD.

Understandable. I'm glad to hear you're planning on playing it. I've beaten it twice on PS2 and once on 3DS and I loved it every time. 

I'm excited to hear your thoughts once you finally play it. 

15 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Definitely worth it when you do. I'd suggest you play the 3DS version. While not the best graphically, it's the most aligned with Dragon Quest VII 3DS and Dragon Quest XI.

A slower...flatter Dragon Quest XI but very fun.

In my personal opinion, I look at Dragon Quest VIII as the creators giving us a break after so many melancholy storylines from DQVII. The ultimate "unwind game" of the series, if you ask me. Not to say that VIII doesn't have its share of melancholy storylines, but it's a definite lighthearted experience for the most part.

15 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Understandable. I'm glad to hear you're planning on playing it. I've beaten it twice on PS2 and once on 3DS and I loved it every time. 

I'm excited to hear your thoughts once you finally play it. 

I loved DQVIII on PS2 and 3DS but found it insufferable on Android. IN-sufferable. I found the touchscreen tolerable for DQ1-3 but DQ8 just drove me nuts. Even auto-run didn't help matters much.

Definitely worth it when you do. I'd suggest you play the 3DS version.

But no boob physics.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

But no boob physics.

Knowing Youtube, I'm sure some guy has already uploaded a several hours loop of it by now. :laugh:

Edited by ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

4 hours ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

Knowing Youtube, I'm sure some guy has already uploaded a several hours loop of it by now. :laugh:

This. 

But also, nothing wrong with playing the PS2 version for the boobs. I keep my PS2 version around as well. 

Though you'll never get me to admit that's the reason. 

Why go to YouTube or your PS2 just to see some boobs? The internet is a big place for that kind of thing, boys. 😜

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1