NeoDevilbane

What is the DEFINITIVE version of each numerical DQ game, on which system?

My opinion:

DQ1 - Android/iOS

DQ2 - Android/iOS

DQ3 - Android/iOS

DQ4 - Android/iOS

DQ5 - Nintendo DS

DQ6 - Nintendo DS

DQ7 - Nintendo 3DS

DQ8 - Haven't played it any form

DQ9 - Only exists on Nintendo DS

DQ10 - Jpn Only, but Switch

DQ11 - Switch

My opinion:

DQ1 - Android/iOS

DQ2 - Android/iOS

DQ3 - SNES

DQ4 - Android/iOS if you care about party chat, DS if not

DQ5 - Nintendo DS

DQ6 - SNES for more monster recruits, but really Nintendo DS

DQ7 - 3DS

DQ8 - 3DS

DQ10 - Jpn Only, so no clue

DQ11 - Switch

28 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

My opinion:

DQ1 - Android/iOS

DQ2 - Android/iOS

DQ3 - SNES

DQ4 - Android/iOS if you care about party chat, DS if not

DQ5 - Nintendo DS

DQ6 - SNES for more monster recruits, but really Nintendo DS

DQ7 - 3DS

DQ8 - 3DS

DQ10 - Jpn Only, so no clue

DQ11 - Switch

That’s my list.

• Like 1

That’s my list.
Teacher, he's copying other people

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

DQ10 - Jpn Only, but Switch

I am curious, why the Switch? I would figure PC would be the best version since you have easy access to a keyboard.

Is the Switch version streamed?

Edited by Twinkie

I am curious, why the Switch? I would figure PC would be the best version since you have easy access to a keyboard.

Is the Switch version streamed?
It is not streamed.

Switch version is better for US players because you can buy time with a Japanese eshop acct by getting yen eshop cards from PlayAsia. If you're playing on PC you have to jump through a few more hoops.

If you're in Japan PC probably would be best. Except Switch version is portable. I play it all the time at work so theres that.

1 minute ago, AustNerevar said:

Switch version is better for US players because you can buy time with a Japanese eshop acct by getting yen eshop cards from PlayAsia. If you're playing on PC you have to jump through a few more hoops.

That would make sense. If it is really that easy to set up I might just pick up the Switch version when I get around to it.

16 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
17 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
That’s my list.

Teacher, he's copying other people

Fine, I’ll type it out myself you little snitch.

Dragon Quest I - iOS/Android

Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line - iOS/Android

Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation - Super Famicom fan translation

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen - DS

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - DS

Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation - DS

Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past - 3DS

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - PS2 (Yeah that’s right I changed my mind)

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky - DS

Dragon Quest X: Awakening of the Five Tribes - No Opinion

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Switch

There, now it’s my own. I even changed my pick for DQ8. So nah nah nah nah naaaah, you dirty rotten snitch.

• Like 2

Fine, I’ll type it out myself you little snitch.
Dragon Quest I - iOS/Android
Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line - iOS/Android
Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation - Super Famicom fan translation
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen - DS
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - DS
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation - DS
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past - 3DS
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - PS2 (Yeah that’s right I changed my mind)
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky - DS
Dragon Quest X: Awakening of the Five Tribes - No Opinion
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Switch

There, now it’s my own. I even changed my pick for DQ8. So nah nah nah nah naaaah, you dirty rotten snitch.
You even included the subtitles. A for effort.
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

They don't exist...they're all unique experiences.  As per favourite, it depends on a lot of factors.  I'll split into multiple factors:

1) Overall Favourite -
2) Content -
3) QoL / Best Balance - this one might be split into multiple if one doesn't satisfy both
4) Visual / Auditory Aesthetic - this may also be split into multiple if one doesn't satisfy both

Dragon Quest I

1. Overall Favourite - ...I don't like this game
  2. Content - ...I don't like this game
  3. QoL / Best Balance - ...I don't like this game
  4. Visual / Auditory Aesthetic - ...I don't like this game, but I LOVE the music

If I had to say...put Switch on everything but Visual, in which case, the SFC version

Dragon Quest II

1. Overall Favourite - Switch (the added content to emphasize the crest search helps give grander purpose to 70% of the game, and spearheading a direction...I know this is in the iOS/Droid, but the controls are superior, as #$*! mobile controls, they're terrible, even if DQ's are particularly well done, you can't fix bad, just make it tolerable, so technically the 3DS and PS4 would fall in here too)
  2. Content - Switch + iOS/Droid (crest search focus helps move the goal posts for the main quest, instead of random wandering)
  3. QoL / Best Balance - Switch + iOS/Droid (more Zoom locations...yes please, that solves everything, though a shoutout to both the NES version, for the bug that allows for a second Waterflying Clothes, and the GBC for giving better general reductions from reduction equipment)
  4. Visual - SFC (I cannot for the life of me enjoy those models)
  5. Auditory Aesthetic - Switch + iOS/Droid

Dragon Quest III

1. Overall Favourite - GBC (Ice Dungeon, certain equipment is actually useful, whereas it's pointless in every other version, like Ortega's Helm and the Magic Bikini, the Pachisi games, the Grand Dragon boss fight, the better
  2. Content - GBC (though medal hunting is nightmarish, using codes to gain access to the second bonus dungeon, it's a fun place to be, and a cool boss fight at the end...plus that Rubiss Sword)
  3. QoL / Best Balance - GBC (two exceptions...Baramos on the SFC, mobile, iOS/Droid, 3DS, PS4, and Switch is the superior and harder battle ...due to limitations in equipment thanks to the lack of the pachisi mini-game, the mobile/iOS/Droid/3DS/PS4/Switch releases have the hardest perfect Zoma and Xenlong fights...Zoma normal is easier as EXP gains are MUCH higher, like 2x higher, so levels are generally higher on average...early 40's vs late 40's, making a huge impact on difficulty of the dumbed down Zoma battle after using the Sphere of Light)
  4. Visual / Auditory Aesthetic - SFC (that SFX reverb, that dark palette, that even the new synth renditions are barely a step up, though I will say iOS/Droid and Switch has the best quality OST)

Dragon Quest IV

1. Overall Favourite - iOS/Droid (DS for controls, but that party chat)
  2. Content - iOS/Droid (that party chat)
  3. QoL - iOS/Droid (that party chat)
  4. Best Balance - PSX (changes to the DS and beyond render the game easy mode, with the exception of Keeleon and Balzack...hero's stats especially, but also Nara have insane stat gains compared to the other versions...PSX strikes a nice even tone even the original NES doesn't have, especially as it was the first version to have full control of the party, plus the DS version's AI is terrible, and unfortunately, the best AI, even considering Cristo/Kiryl, is still the NES)
  5. Visual / Auditory Aesthetic - iOS/Droid

Dragon Quest V

1. Overall Favourite - iOS/Droid (DS for controls)
  2. Content - iOS/Droid + DS (same content really, the online feature on the DS is removed with no replacement, but it added nothing except as a lame form of sharing really silly stuff)
  3. QoL - iOS/Droid
  4. Best Balance - PS2 (the most difficult overall...I'm not sure what happened with the DS and iOS/Droid versions, but they are easier, despite virtually the same stats, my guess is higher EXP gains, and pachisi track changes to benefit stat boosts?  I'd have to look into it)
  5. Visual / Auditory Aesthetic - PS2

Dragon Quest VI

1. Overall Favourite - iOS/Droid (DS though, for play controls alone, if the Droid/iOS version ever gets released on Switch, THAT will be the superior release due to controls)
  2. Content - iOS/Droid (Dreamscape system is added to the normal game, making for a fun mini-game collection quest to access two of the best slime recruits)
  3. QoL / Best Balance - iOS/Droid (tweaks that benefit Terry, plus the earlier access naturally for Curie + Shelley, and Mercury make for a better experience)
  4. Visual / SFX Aesthetic - SFC (darker colour palette fits the world perfectly, while the remake's light and bright palette just doesn't work well, especially in this game...the SFX are just superior, especially that chill reverb sound that makes certain attacks sound like they're in an audience chamber, it adds another layer of bombast to the battle system...otherwise, the visual effects on the DS and iOS/Droid releases are superior, the models are better, and the enemy animations are top notch).
  5. Auditory Aesthetic - iOS/Droid (highest quality music, remastered synth that sounds fairly close to actual orchestration)

Dragon Quest VII

1. Overall Favourite - 3DS
  2. Content - 3DS
  3. QoL - 3DS (though it could have used more, and lacking Padfoot is a HUGE negative...the main bonus is the tracking system, so it's easy to walk away for any amount of time, and come back to a very well written story synopsis, and ample explanation for missing elements, and the various fragment tracking systems makes it easy to move forward)
  4. Best Balance - PSX (the 3DS needs a LOT of enemy work, or the EXP gains, spawn rate, and monster aversion should be tweaked to match the PSX experience, as the balance is the best in the entire series for normal play...just fight as you go, no farming until post-game, is literally KNIFE EDGE perfection tied to the tempo of the game and encounter rate, and likely levels/classes mastered at each point)
  5. Visual / Auditory Aesthetic - 3DS

Special Note: iOS/Droid, if it ever comes out here, allows access to all the DLC maps without the need for the DLC system (of course being Dragon Quest, it's on-cart locked out...needs unlock keys sort of system).  If we ever get a Switch release, it will be this version, and there aren't on-screen enemies, but instead random battles, as I guess the encounter rate was a massive f-up, and Arte Piazza, or the SE mobile team who worked on it clearly didn't have the resources or time to rework the system, so they just switched it back to Random Encounter, and apparently it's higher than the original, but definitely better than the general encounter rate on the 3DS, which is a plus.

Dragon Quest VIII

1. Overall Favourite - 3DS
  2. Content - 3DS
  3. QoL / Best Balance - 3DS (hardest and easiest to break and turn into an easy experience)
  4. Visual / Auditory Aesthetic - PS2 (while I prefer seeing monsters on the screen to random encounters, the changes to the landscape were tragic, and while the OST is properly integrated, I greatly prefer the more relaxed and slower tempo of the Orchestrated renditions, ESPECIALLY the battle music, which was further altered in the 3DS to a higher tempo beyond the original Japanese PS2 tempo, and it sounds off putting to me...also my second least favourite DQ battle theme...I actually prefer 11's more over time, with 9's being my least favourite)

Dragon Quest IX

1. Overall Favourite + Content + QoL / Best Balance + Visual / Auditory Aesthetic - DS (only one release)

Dragon Quest XI

1. Overall Favourite - Switch
  2. Content - Switch
  3. QoL - Switch
  4. Balance - 3DS for Normal , Switch for max Draconian run , PS4 for Stronger Monsters ...though this may change to the Switch as they worked hard on rebalancing SM
  5. Visual Aesthetic - PC (PS4 Pro looks the same, but it lacks the ability to scale up to 60FPS and for any setup with more than a 1080p screen, it lacks the blur effect, plus the ability to mod)
  6. Auditory Aesthetic - Switch (8's overworld music, symphonic tracks for 80+% of the ost, and baumrun's track)

=========

I only mention the iOS/Droid as separate for DQ7 because you CAN play the other versions of the other releases via emulator, but I'm unsure where to go to get the iOS/Droid, though it's probably available somewhere on the web.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I - GBC

II - GBC

III - GBC (I'm biased this was my first video games as a kid)

IV-VI - DS

VII - 3DS

VIII - 3DS but both versions are good

IX - DS

X - I'm convinced that game isn't real

XI - Switch but I also like the PS4 version cause I platinumed it

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ignasia said:

Balance - 3DS for Normal , Switch for max Draconian run , PS4 for Stronger Monsters ...though this may change to the Switch as they worked hard on rebalancing SM

They changed how Stronger Monsters is balanced?

DQI - NES

DQII - Android/iOS (for challenge, the NES version)

DQIII - SFC (for animated monsters and pachisi tracks)

DQIV - Android/iOS for party chat (yet, I still ultimately prefer NES for nostalgia, but also because it's one of the best NES games ever produced)

DQV - DS

DQVI - SFC (Something about the music, the original still plays better, IMO)

DQVII - 3DS

DQVIII - There is no definitive edition: 

• For graphics: Tablet
  • For graphics, music and sound: PS2
  • For content and extra characters: 3DS.

Alchemy is far faster and therefore better in the Tablet and 3DS versions. I stress "Tablet" instead of "mobile" because this is a beautiful game that can't fully be appreciated on a smaller mobile devices.

DQIX - DS

DQX - The western release from the alternative universe where we got the DQX MMO.

DQXI - Switch

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

They changed how Stronger Monsters is balanced?

Yes, a LOOOOT of changes.

Switch -> early enemies have about 10~20% more stats, including HP.  I can take down Platypunks in 3~5 hits at level's 6 and 7, and it's 2~3 in the PS4 at the same level. 

Dora in Switch has the same HP/Defense as PS4 SM, but only +15% or so Attack, goes 2 actions per round 100% (normal is almost a 50/50 1~2 actions in all versions), and her vampire skill is about 30% stronger.  Her AI pattern is changed so she uses critical and her HP sucking skill back to back, and more often.

Dora in PS4 has +40% or so Attack, goes 2~3 actions per round (usually 3), but is less threatening per round as she'll use her fixed damage attacks more often, and isn't as keen on using critical hits.

I think a fair portion of the time they took developing the Switch was in heavy rebalancing of every battle.  Elysium Bird is much harder in the Switch.  The start of the game is definitely muuuuuch harder in the Switch, even ignoring the Healer + Supplicant, the PS4 is better balanced leading up to Hotto, after Hotto, it starts to even out.

Edited by ignasia

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Yes, a LOOOOT of changes.

Switch -> early enemies have about 10~20% more stats, including HP.  I can take down Platypunks in 3~5 hits at level's 6 and 7, and it's 2~3 in the PS4 at the same level. 

Dora in Switch has the same HP/Defense as PS4 SM, but only +15% or so Attack, goes 2 actions per round 100% (normal is almost a 50/50 1~2 actions in all versions), and her vampire skill is about 30% stronger.  Her AI pattern is changed so she uses critical and her HP sucking skill back to back, and more often.

Dora in PS4 has +40% or so Attack, goes 2~3 actions per round (usually 3), but is less threatening per round as she'll use her fixed damage attacks more often, and isn't as keen on using critical hits.

I think a fair portion of the time they took developing the Switch was in heavy rebalancing of every battle.  Elysium Bird is much harder in the Switch.  The start of the game is definitely muuuuuch harder in the Switch, even ignoring the Healer + Supplicant, the PS4 is better balanced leading up to Hotto, after Hotto, it starts to even out.

Interesting. I played PS4 with stronger monsters and Switch version with stronger monsters, but I don’t remember the beginning being too difficult in the Switch version even when Hero was by himself. I had an unfortunate death after leaving Cobblestone, but that was because I didn’t go heal and got an unlucky battle. Maybe I found it a little easier or so because I was using the Greatsword rather than a sword and shield combo, so hero would be doing more regular damage with the greatsword versus the regular sword. 🤔

I’m...not exactly sure how to react to that Dora information. She was a real #$*! on the PS4 version, so, if I’m reading what you wrote correctly, she doesn’t have her 3 attacks on stronger monsters but her move pool was altered a bit so she’s still a force to be reckoned with.

Enemies in Gallopolis seemed to be easier to deal with. Was that area altered at all, because I remember it being pretty rough on the PS4 with SM on.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I don't remember Dora in Grey being overly hard, but then I was significantly over-leveled from doing tons of exploring, so I thought most of the bosses until Act 3 were kind of a push-over.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Liamland said:

I don't remember Dora in Grey being overly hard, but then I was significantly over-leveled from doing tons of exploring, so I thought most of the bosses until Act 3 were kind of a push-over.

Yeah I don't remember getting a game over until post game. Those first trial bosses are bastards. Course, I didn't play with draconian mode but I know to take a couple minutes out to kill a metal slime or three.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Liamland said:

Try the fight on Stronger Monsters. You’ll have SOOOOOOOOOO much fun. 

Seriously, took me like 20 tries or more just to win the fight because of the BS she can do when stronger monsters is turned on. She does 3 attacks with that on, and on a few occasions she was the last one to act on a turn AND the first one to act on the next set of turns, essentially giving her 6 actions in a row to either use her special version of charm, do critical damage, drain HP from you, and/or attack everyone. I only won the fight because I got desperate and had both Jade and Serena constantly use the critical hit skill for spears while anyone else dealt with healing of some kind.

Dora-In-Grey nearly made me drop stronger monsters entirely on my first playthrough. I have never struggled with a DQ boss as much as I had with Dora-In-Grey. #$*! that boss to the deepest reaches of Hell’s ninth circle.

I really didn't have any trouble with Dora. Tentacular was where I struggled at on my current playthrough. In my very first playthrough on the PS4 it was the complete opposite. I also had to grind a bit for the Boogie fight.

Gyldygga on the other hand... oh man. Kinda surprised I did that fight below level 43.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I really didn't have any trouble with Dora. Tentacular was where I struggled at on my current playthrough. In my very first playthrough on the PS4 it was the complete opposite. I also had to grind a bit for the Boogie fight.

Gyldygga on the other hand... oh man. Kinda surprised I did that fight below level 43.

I never had too much of a problem with the Spectral Sentinels. I had to repeat the fight with the first one due to an unlucky crit, but it wasn’t until I had to fight the 6th one in the final dungeon (won’t say who for spoilers sake) that I hit another brick wall. That fight was a real pain, as was the enhanced version of that boss in the post game optional dungeon. I’d put both on the same levels of bullshit boss difficulty.

Dora, the 6th Spectral Sentinel, the Act 3 version of the Frozen Fjord boss, and the enhanced version of the 6th SS are the bosses I dread having to refight on my Switch playthrough. I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE those bosses.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I never had too much of a problem with the Spectral Sentinels. I had to repeat the fight with the first one due to an unlucky crit, but it wasn’t until I had to fight the 6th one in the final dungeon (won’t say who for spoilers sake) that I hit another brick wall. That fight was a real pain, as was the enhanced version of that boss in the post game optional dungeon. I’d put both on the same levels of bullshit boss difficulty.

Dora, the 6th Spectral Sentinel, the Act 3 version of the Frozen Fjord boss, and the enhanced version of the 6th SS are the bosses I dread having to refight on my Switch playthrough. I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE those bosses.

Ugh. I forgot about the Frozen Fjord boss. I am at it right now for Act 2, and I hate both fights with him with a burning passion.

Another boss fight I feel like that doesn't get a lot of hate is the Octagonia boss. He was the first big wall I had hit on this playthrough. Both versions of him gave me a headache on the PS4 release. I am really dreading it.

8 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Ugh. I forgot about the Frozen Fjord boss. 

Is that the guy you have to kill with a specific skill? And he kicks your ass so you likely don't have it ready to go by the time you have to use it.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Is that the guy you have to kill with a specific skill? And he kicks your ass so you likely don't have it ready to go by the time you have to use it.

No. The boss you’re talking about is the one of the frozen forest...

Spoiler

It’s the guardian of the seal that kept Krystalinda...well, sealed. He’s the one you have to kill with a specific Pep skill in Act 3.

The boss Twinkie and I are talking about is...

Spoiler

The black serpentine dragon that you see frozen in the Fjord but it breaks free in Act 2 and 3.

10 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

No. The boss you’re talking about is the one of the frozen forest...

Hide contents

It’s the guardian of the seal that kept Krystalinda...well, sealed. He’s the one you have to kill with a specific Pep skill in Act 3.

The boss Twinkie and I are talking about is...

Hide contents

The black serpentine dragon that you see frozen in the Fjord but it breaks free in Act 2 and 3.

Ohhhhhh yeah! That guy caught me off guard with my team half dead.