ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

I Switch versions of DQI, II and III have really grown on me

41 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I don't remember if it was someone who posted about it here or not. But apparently the original Trilogy didn't sell that well when it was physically released on the Wii. So that might be a good part on why Japan didn't get a physical release.

About 400k copies sold in Japan.

http://garaph.info/softwaregroup.php?grid=192

The 3DS and PS4 copies also sold very poorly (I cannot find numbers, but I've heard either at or just under 200k).  Thought that could be because they're purely digital releases (also likely due to precedence in sales numbers).

So most likely the main reason for Japan not getting a physical copy.  Especially when on mobile, DQ's have sold roughly the same in Japan as in the US.  DQ3 is the exception, but only because it went Free to play on its anniversary, and numbers spiked hard.  Which is funny, because it means Japanese players hold mobile gaming in the same level of esteem as Western gamers: they don't like it unless it's free or freemium.

There's also the reality that games released in Japan with either no new, or limited new, or new content that is only available late game, tends to do poorly.

DQ's 1~3 SFC, 4 PSX/DS, 5 PS2/DS, 6 DS, and 7 3DS sold very well.  1.2, 1.4, 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 1.57, 1.4, 1.24 = 1.41m average between them.

DQ's 1~3 GBC, 1~3 Wii, 8 3DS, and 11 Switch have so far sold WAY under those values.  720k, 750k, 397k, 859k, and I'll wait on 11 Switch's numbers, but the average of the other releases, with actual new content, not direct ports, which are perceived as having just not enough new content, or earlier enough access to said new content, equate to: 681k average, which is 48% of the average sales of the rereleases/remakes that sold well.

Do note that DQ8 3DS sold 584k its first week, and by 1 year 5 months later, was selling 31k copies, and had sold a total of 859k (so it could be 900 or even 1m by now in Japan).  DQ11S by comparison, sold 360k its first week, or 61% of DQ8 3DS's first week sales.  It's already estimated, by week 2, to have sold 418k, which for Japan is not bad selling 16% of week 1 sales in week 2, even for Dragon Quest (that's actually fairly high, usually drops to around 5~12%), which means it could actually hit DQ8's 3DS numbers over time, which would be a very good turn-around in Japan.  Though I have to wonder if there's something else affecting general sales, because they're way down.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 10:52 PM, AustNerevar said:

More than anything else the screen stutter bothers me the most

Got round to playing DQI now and I noticed it immediately. Is it present in the other 2 games?

Got round to playing DQI now and I noticed it immediately. Is it present in the other 2 games?
Yep.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:48 PM, AustNerevar said:
On 10/17/2019 at 3:46 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
That was a bit confusing to find out. I figured if any country would get a physical release it was be Japan.

Not really. They're intended to be digital only games, however the southeast Asian countries don't have an eshop so digital games aren't a thing there. Its physical or nothing and SE doesn't want to miss out on those sales.

Is that due to lacking reliable internet?

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Is that due to lacking reliable internet?

Not really. From my understanding, a lot of it has to do with laws. Nintendo really doesn't have a branch for Asia. So it is far easier for them to avoid the legality of selling digital in China by simply exporting physical copies instead of setting up an eShop. It is far easier in terms of legality to just send out copies instead of setting up an online store for that region. Hong Kong technically does have an eShop, but you have to purchase the codes on their website, and then redeem it on the eShop. So it is download codes only. I heard it was the same with Korea.

A lot of people in these regions just use US or Japan Nintendo accounts to bypass this.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Not really. From my understanding, a lot of it has to do with laws. Nintendo really doesn't have a branch for Asia. So it is far easier for them to avoid the legality of selling digital in China by simply exporting physical copies instead of setting up an eShop. It is far easier in terms of legality to just send out copies instead of setting up an online store for that region. Hong Kong technically does have an eShop, but you have to purchase the codes on their website, and then redeem it on the eShop. So it is download codes only. I heard it was the same with Korea.

A lot of people in these regions just use US or Japan Nintendo accounts to bypass this.

Korea?? As in South Korea? The Country with the fastest internet speeds in the world doesn't have an eshop???

I was thinking Southeast Asia like Cambodia, Vietnam, Etc. I guess the Southern Chinese Provinces could fall into that and censorship there is obviously rampant. 

I guess the one that shocks me most is Korea. I would picture them as having pretty lax law when it came to tech stuff. 

37 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Korea?? As in South Korea? The Country with the fastest internet speeds in the world doesn't have an eshop???

I was thinking Southeast Asia like Cambodia, Vietnam, Etc. I guess the Southern Chinese Provinces could fall into that and censorship there is obviously rampant. 

I guess the one that shocks me most is Korea. I would picture them as having pretty lax law when it came to tech stuff. 

Kim Jong-un could never beat a DQ game as a kid, so he banished them from ever being available digitally. The physical copies are black market goods...🤫

Spoiler

I have no idea where that nonsense came from but just roll with it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Yup. In South Korea you can only redeem download codes with their eShop on the Switch. Which is strange, considering they have a fully functional eShop on the 3DS.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Kim Jong-un could never beat a DQ game as a kid, so he banished them from ever being available digitally. The physical copies are black market goods...🤫

Hide contents

I have no idea where that nonsense came from but just roll with it.

According to North Korean History Books, Kim Jong-Un invented the Switch when he was still in the womb. 

According to North Korean History Books, Kim Jong-Un invented the Switch when he was still in the womb. 

It was originally called Kim Jung’s Itch.

They say he’s named his home the Kim Jong-Womb, because it reminds him of the comfort and safety of where he came from.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, eal said:

They say he’s named his home the Kim Jong-Womb, because it reminds him of the comfort and safety of where he came from.

Ah yes, I remember hearing that somewhere. 

OK, I've been sort of playing DQ1, 2, 3, and 11 on rotation on my Switch over the weeks (it's not as difficult as it sounds to keep up with 4 RPG's) and I have to say--I'd forgotten a few things about Dragon Quest III:

-No matter what version of this game I play, I swear that it seems the game is programmed for the monsters to favor attacking both the hero and the mage in the party. Seems no matter what position I put them in on the lineup, the hero receives a constant beating.

-The game is (annoyingly) full of monsters who keep casting buff and kabuff.

-The Switch version won't allow ANY of these names: Erdrick (which I understand), Loto and even Roto. This confuses me. In the GBC version, you're barred from using "Loto" since that is the title he assumes. In the NES version you're barred from using "Erdrick". I'm assuming the Switch version maintains "Erdrick" as the title, so why the barring of Loto and Roto?

-I swear the agility feels sky-high with the majority of the monsters.

-The agility of the hero seems to be severely lacking.