ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

I Switch versions of DQI, II and III have really grown on me

I am loving the Switch versions of these games! I was initially against the character/enemy model changes but I've since embraced them and have actually grown to love them. I love seeing all these additional details to the monster animations and I find it fascinating how the backgrounds have all been redrawn to still closely match their predecessors.

These might just be the definitive versions of these games in many cases. DQIII looks the best, of course.

Has anyone else grown used to the character/enemy changes? It's far less jarring after you've played them for a few hours and they have even grown on me.

Is anyone else enjoying these re-releases?

• Like 1

I played a few minutes of 1 and 2 but have gotten up to the ship in 3. 3 is my favorite in the series so I'll play it on any system I can. I was initially disappointed with the enemy designs but I like them now, they look good. The character sprites look a little off but I can deal with it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I played a few minutes of 1 and 2 but have gotten up to the ship in 3. 3 is my favorite in the series so I'll play it on any system I can. I was initially disappointed with the enemy designs but I like them now, they look good. The character sprites look a little off but I can deal with it.

Yes. It's also COLORFUL. Seriously--the SFC remake of DQIII has never looked better, if you ask me. It's amazing how well DQIII holds up even today. It's the first game of the series that truly helped Dragon Quest find its stride and III truly served as a springboard for how the rest of the series would progress.

I'd say DQIII is a masterpiece.

5 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

Yes. It's also COLORFUL. Seriously--the SFC remake of DQIII has never looked better, if you ask me. It's amazing how well DQIII holds up even today. It's the first game of the series that truly helped Dragon Quest find its stride and III truly served as a springboard for how the rest of the series would progress.

I'd say DQIII is a masterpiece.

It's not the best in the series but it's my favorite and a masterpiece in my eyes.

12 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

It's not the best in the series but it's my favorite and a masterpiece in my eyes.

It's one of my favorites. I actually prefer IV and V but only by a small margin.

Technically, DQXI is most likely the best of the series. XI isn't my favorite but I know it's most likely the best of the series from a technical perspective.

• Like 1

Haven't played them, but given the time I would definitely give III a whirl on the Switch. Seems a well suited title for it (loved it on the GBC)

If I do end up buying the games, I will probably strictly play it in tabletop mode. Graphics probably won't bother me as much on a smaller screen.

Posted (edited)

The monster sprites are fine in DQ3, the playable and NPC character sprites are hit and miss in DQ3.

I bought DQ1-3 on Switch to support the series, but the best version of DQ3 is still the Super Famicom version.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

More than anything else the screen stutter bothers me the most

More than anything else the screen stutter bothers me the most
Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-What's that?

Kidding aside, there's a stutter? I haven't heard of this yet.

Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-What's that?

Kidding aside, there's a stutter? I haven't heard of this yet.
I saw it mentioned on reddit shortly after release but noticed it myself the other day. It's especially noticeable after going from XI 2D mode.

new to the fourms here but iv been playing them as a first time player of the original 3 im really enjoying them or at least the originall a friend said it was a good idea to run through them before getting too deep in 11s so i am and so far am really enjoying the experince iv also fired up the snes versions english patched on my snes classic edition and compared they both to me have a charm but in a diffrent way. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm waiting to get the physical copy from Playasia to play I,II & III.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:25 AM, blindpcguy said:

new to the fourms here but iv been playing them as a first time player of the original 3 im really enjoying them or at least the originall a friend said it was a good idea to run through them before getting too deep in 11s so i am and so far am really enjoying the experince iv also fired up the snes versions english patched on my snes classic edition and compared they both to me have a charm but in a diffrent way. 

Welcome! I like III the most in the original trilogy. There's plenty of resources on this site so if you get stuck and need help I'm sure the answer is on here somewhere.

My wife and I are playing through the original trilogy together, since she never had the chance to play the original 3 titles.

We got through DQ1 and now we're working on 2. Been a great time so far, really enjoying the graphic style and the soundtrack. I grew up on NES, so to me Midi is sweet sounding.

• Upvote 1

I've been really tempted by the Asia physical release, but have a question I was hoping someone here might be able to answer. I know the games are multilingual, but I'm wondering about the packaging.

The images on Play Asia show the subtitles written in what I assume is either a Japanese or Chinese language, which is what I would have expected for an Asian release. But when doing a Google search for the collection, I came across a Square Enix Asia facebook post showing at least the front of the case entirely in English.

https://m.facebook.com/SquareEnixAsia/posts/476788619844091

Anyone know what the final packaging will look like? It's a minor thing, but having the English text just makes the package a touch more appealing to me, and might just be the tipping point for me to go with that release.

Good point, the graphics on Play-Asia's site definitely are English for the box art, maybe it will be reversible?  I can let you know when mine arrives (but I didn't pay for expedited shipping so it may be a couple more weeks :)

dragon-quest-1-2-3-collection-multilanguage-607055.21.jpg

Aww man Japan got physical copies???

I  would totally buy a physical copy of the three games. 

Japan didn't. Only the Southeast Asian countries did.

On 10/13/2019 at 4:25 AM, blindpcguy said:

I, II and III are a great way to start your experience. DQI is perfect for all beginners of the series. II can be taken or left. III is the first game in the series that truly has all the staples the series is known for: flying, multiple worlds, four-member parties, vocations, etc.

III is the best example of what this series has to offer.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:45 PM, AustNerevar said:
On 10/16/2019 at 1:32 PM, cprmauldin said:

Japan didn't. Only the Southeast Asian countries did.

Oh. 

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Oh. 

That was a bit confusing to find out. I figured if any country would get a physical release it was be Japan.

• Like 1

That was a bit confusing to find out. I figured if any country would get a physical release it was be Japan.
Not really. They're intended to be digital only games, however the southeast Asian countries don't have an eshop so digital games aren't a thing there. Its physical or nothing and SE doesn't want to miss out on those sales.

29 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
31 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Not really. They're intended to be digital only games, however the southeast Asian countries don't have an eshop so digital games aren't a thing there. Its physical or nothing and SE doesn't want to miss out on those sales.

The more you know.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I don't remember if it was someone who posted about it here or not. But apparently the original Trilogy didn't sell that well when it was physically released on the Wii. So that might be a good part on why Japan didn't get a physical release.