Jump to content
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

I Switch versions of DQI, II and III have really grown on me

Recommended Posts

I am loving the Switch versions of these games! I was initially against the character/enemy model changes but I've since embraced them and have actually grown to love them. I love seeing all these additional details to the monster animations and I find it fascinating how the backgrounds have all been redrawn to still closely match their predecessors.

These might just be the definitive versions of these games in many cases. DQIII looks the best, of course.

Has anyone else grown used to the character/enemy changes? It's far less jarring after you've played them for a few hours and they have even grown on me.

Is anyone else enjoying these re-releases?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played a few minutes of 1 and 2 but have gotten up to the ship in 3. 3 is my favorite in the series so I'll play it on any system I can. I was initially disappointed with the enemy designs but I like them now, they look good. The character sprites look a little off but I can deal with it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I played a few minutes of 1 and 2 but have gotten up to the ship in 3. 3 is my favorite in the series so I'll play it on any system I can. I was initially disappointed with the enemy designs but I like them now, they look good. The character sprites look a little off but I can deal with it.

Yes. It's also COLORFUL. Seriously--the SFC remake of DQIII has never looked better, if you ask me. It's amazing how well DQIII holds up even today. It's the first game of the series that truly helped Dragon Quest find its stride and III truly served as a springboard for how the rest of the series would progress.

I'd say DQIII is a masterpiece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

Yes. It's also COLORFUL. Seriously--the SFC remake of DQIII has never looked better, if you ask me. It's amazing how well DQIII holds up even today. It's the first game of the series that truly helped Dragon Quest find its stride and III truly served as a springboard for how the rest of the series would progress.

I'd say DQIII is a masterpiece.

It's not the best in the series but it's my favorite and a masterpiece in my eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

It's not the best in the series but it's my favorite and a masterpiece in my eyes.

It's one of my favorites. I actually prefer IV and V but only by a small margin.

Technically, DQXI is most likely the best of the series. XI isn't my favorite but I know it's most likely the best of the series from a technical perspective.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't played them, but given the time I would definitely give III a whirl on the Switch. Seems a well suited title for it (loved it on the GBC)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I do end up buying the games, I will probably strictly play it in tabletop mode. Graphics probably won't bother me as much on a smaller screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The monster sprites are fine in DQ3, the playable and NPC character sprites are hit and miss in DQ3.

I bought DQ1-3 on Switch to support the series, but the best version of DQ3 is still the Super Famicom version.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More than anything else the screen stutter bothers me the most

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
More than anything else the screen stutter bothers me the most
Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-What's that?

Kidding aside, there's a stutter? I haven't heard of this yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-What's that?

Kidding aside, there's a stutter? I haven't heard of this yet.
I saw it mentioned on reddit shortly after release but noticed it myself the other day. It's especially noticeable after going from XI 2D mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

new to the fourms here but iv been playing them as a first time player of the original 3 im really enjoying them or at least the originall a friend said it was a good idea to run through them before getting too deep in 11s so i am and so far am really enjoying the experince iv also fired up the snes versions english patched on my snes classic edition and compared they both to me have a charm but in a diffrent way. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm waiting to get the physical copy from Playasia to play I,II & III.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:25 AM, blindpcguy said:

new to the fourms here but iv been playing them as a first time player of the original 3 im really enjoying them or at least the originall a friend said it was a good idea to run through them before getting too deep in 11s so i am and so far am really enjoying the experince iv also fired up the snes versions english patched on my snes classic edition and compared they both to me have a charm but in a diffrent way. 

Welcome! I like III the most in the original trilogy. There's plenty of resources on this site so if you get stuck and need help I'm sure the answer is on here somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I are playing through the original trilogy together, since she never had the chance to play the original 3 titles.

We got through DQ1 and now we're working on 2. Been a great time so far, really enjoying the graphic style and the soundtrack. I grew up on NES, so to me Midi is sweet sounding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...