Graphic comparison

I dont normally do this but the difference between the two console versions are jarring when compared to each other. While playing I thought the fuzziness was caused by not having my glasses but I loaded up the ps4 version right quick to check and my eyes are fine. Needless to say I am happy to have ot on the switch but the graphics are lacking. Glad the soundtrack and extra modes and bosses make up for it.

Also noticed when going in a building from outside the sudden light change was jarring. I dont remember this on the ps4 version.

In the photos it is the same area just slightly different angle. 112c5a252c43c068c6b518346124ca5a.jpg6e963b94832baac6893bb1bccb37276b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Unfortunately that was going to happen.  The fuzziness is also a factor of how far away the camera generally is, or how many other background details are present that have to be factored into maintaining an absolute perfect 30fps, which this game does...everywhere.

It still looks amazing for a Switch title, and they definitely optimized it for the system.

Did you notice anything odd about camera panning left and right?  It's smooth in the PS4 (I never changed my settings from default), but it looks odd in this version to me, to where it looks to me like the game is bending around the camera lense...or something like that.  Someone on GameFAQs pointed out there isn't any specific effect like that which is present, but at slow speeds, it gives me this impression of being in a bubble, and the world shifting around in a very odd way, to where I get nauseated.  Like it feels like that type of an effect when looking at it move back and forth.  Setting the camera movement to a higher level removed it entirely.

I am though, quite surprised at the level of detail present.

What is interesting to me is the inconsistent shadows, where they move around almost water-like, even what should be absolutely stationary shadows, like buildings.

Then there's yeah, that lighting effect you've noticed.  You'll also see it as you pass by windows, not just exiting areas.  Especially at night.  The world gets bathed in the indoor light, then a step forward and it's that nighttime blue again.

If you haven't noticed it yet, there's this odd thing with monsters, where at certain angles and distances, they're fuzzy, then at other angles and usually when the camera gets closer, they become very clean and crisp, especially when they're casting magic or something like that.  Sometimes that doesn't happen, and a few oddball times, the camera is further away, and they go crisp again, then fuzzy.

I'm wondering if DQ11 is using "Burst Mode?"

====

I will say, despite all of this I actually prefer the Switch graphics, maybe because I have a Lite, so the pixel density is a lot higher, so it hides even more of those issues.  But it really looks good, and feels more pleasant to me overall.  I don't know, it just feels like the more proper system...strange thing to say, but I enjoy playing it on my Lite more visually in general, than on my PS4.  It's harder to properly qualify my position.

One thing I definitely do prefer, is the ease of seeing enemies on the world map.  The PS4 hides a lot of things in the forests, behind more large stones, more grass, more foliage, more flowers.  In this they pop up more easily.

No I have not yet noticed the camera issues but I'm only in heliodor. Also I generally play docked mode and dont own a switch lite so cant compare them. Overall still happy about the port since it has some extra features. My spouse said I was silly for wanting it again.

• Like 1
On 9/29/2019 at 8:23 AM, Plattym3 said:

Wow, in one version the Hero's clothes look purple and in the other it looks blue!

Damn.

Beat me to the joke. 

Anyways, yeah I wasn't expecting identical graphics so I'm not too worried about this. 

• Like 1

Only graphics downgrade I’ve noticed is some lower textures in places, such as Gallopolis, but it’s nothing too distracting. It’s still a great looking game.

Now as for the guys who are playing in 2D, that will really look different graphic wise. The whole world of the game went from a full on 3D to pixels and sprites! Now there’s a graphical difference for the PS4 and Steam players. 😜

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
Only graphics downgrade I’ve noticed is some lower textures in places, such as Gallopolis, but it’s nothing too distracting. It’s still a great looking game.
Now as for the guys who are playing in 2D, that will really look different graphic wise. The whole world of the game went from a full on 3D to pixels and sprites! Now there’s a graphical difference for the PS4 and Steam players.
Bullshit.

Looks exactly like when I played on the PS4 last year. These are taken from approximately the same location and angle. 082a92da3dd897bac49ebc07a90ca090.jpgca79404164c8ea853a44628dcc6f8976.jpg
Bullshit.

Looks exactly like when I played on the PS4 last year. These are taken from approximately the same location and angle. 082a92da3dd897bac49ebc07a90ca090.jpgca79404164c8ea853a44628dcc6f8976.jpg
I call bullshit since the slimes just merged at the bottom while Erik attacks on the top one. Plus I dont see Erik at all at the bottom. Guess the switch version sucked so bad graphic wise it dropped him completely.

• Like 1

Nintendo hates Erik confirmed.

To be honest, I really don't care. The game looks damn gorgeous regardless of which system you play it on and, so far, every comparison picture/video I've seen show rather minimal differences in quality. I DO see the downgrade, yes, but it's nothing massive. The added features and packed-in 2D mode all mean far more to me, personally, than graphics.

This is why I own Nintendo Switch instead of PS4--graphics are at the bottom of my totem pole for video game expectations.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

This is why I own Nintendo Switch instead of PS4--graphics are at the bottom of my totem pole for video game expectations.

Me too. High def is a super low priority for me.

It's just like the differences in DQVIII Ps2 vs 3DS. You know it's there, but both games look great for what they are.

57 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Me too. High def is a super low priority for me.

It's just like the differences in DQVIII Ps2 vs 3DS. You know it's there, but both games look great for what they are.

Exactly. I consider HD graphics more of a luxury than anything else.

• Like 1