Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI S Progress

I ended up grinding up to 99, and doing as much as I could for the Tockle Village Alters. I managed to complete the post game, and started to working on other newer content.

I had to turn off super strong monsters at that point. Some of those fights are just downright brutal.

On 10/10/2019 at 1:43 PM, Twinkie said:

It is suggested that you be around level 28 to fight Dora. So you should be good.

Thanks.

Yeah, I was good...TOO good. Every boss from Dora on was stupid easy so I guess I got a little overzealous with the leveling.

So, I had a lot of time to play this weekend and...

...WOW.

Oh...my...God...

I'll just put the rest in spoiler tags for those who may not have reached this point yet. I made it past THAT scene with the World Tree.

Spoiler

So...yeah. Wow. They did it. They finally REALLY did it--they finally took Dragon Quest in a Final Fantasy-type situation. You maniacs! You blew it up! LOL! Just had to slip that Planet of the Apes reference in there. 😛

So...wow. I'm stunned. While I don't like Final Fantasy as much as Dragon Quest, I've always admired the Final Fantasy series for having the balls to include apocalyptic after Earth scenarios. And...after eleven installments, Dragon Quest FINALLY decided to go "there". Not since Dragon Quest VII have we seen the big bad cause THIS much damage.

First of all, I wasn't really surprised that the king was being possessed by Mordegon. It made perfect sense, really. What I wasn't expecting was for him to actually EXTRACT the Luminary's own power/essence like that. WOW! And then he takes what we know to be the future Sword of Erdrick and morphs it into a demonic sword and WHOOSH--the World Tree itself--SOURCE OF THE AFTERLIFE--is destroyed! What a riveting and cinematic scene! Now I see why people were trying to keep this under wraps. This was one of the best sequences of the entire franchise!

And now here we are in a dead world like Final Fantasy III--er, VI (It's still Final Fantasy III in my heart of hearts. I never got used to calling it VI) with an eternally-dim sky where the sun shines at 50% reduced brightness. And now it feels like Dragon Quest IV with character-specific chapters and our entire party scattered to the four winds. I'm only assuming it will mirror IV where I play a chapter for each character now with the Luminary as the culmination. I'm currently on Jade's chapter where she's trapped in some demon world called "Limboo". Dragon Quest IV is my favorite of the series so I love the idea of going through a similar chapter system for the next little bit.

Amazing. I can see now how people tried to hide this surprise in the game. Up to the point of that World Tree, you already feel as if you've played a full Dragon Quest experience and then WHAM--a total curve ball is thrown in when you realize that was only Phase 1 and Phase 2, so far, feels like an entirely new game.

I love this twist. This game is very deceptive in it, too. Up to this point (save for Dundrasil and the mermaid) this felt like a rather lighthearted Dragon Quest adventure. Now it's just as dark as Dragon Quest VII / Final Fantasy VI.

PS: I couldn't help but notice that Erdwin sure looks a hell of a lot like Erdrick from Dragon Quest III. Interesting...

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:18 AM, SlimeVagrant said:

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as un-calm. It was a genuine question out of genuine confusion. If it was just Yangus and his silly emoji that's fine but when I have two people complaining about me simply mentioning a character's name then it seems like something is off.

My thing is in another thread someone mentioned there was a new recruitable party member. I was assuming the name you used was that new member cause it would make sense. Regardless, I'm over it.

I played a bit over the weekend. Did the horse race and still hate Faris. Ready to get my fabulous boi Sylvando in the party and start progressing. Once I finish up III on Switch I'll be able to commit more time to it.

18 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

...WOW.

Oh...my...God...

I'll just put the rest in spoiler tags for those who may not have reached this point yet. I made it past THAT scene with the World Tree.

Reveal hidden contents

So...yeah. Wow. They did it. They finally REALLY did it--they finally took Dragon Quest in a Final Fantasy-type situation. You maniacs! You blew it up! LOL! Just had to slip that Planet of the Apes reference in there. 😛

So...wow. I'm stunned. While I don't like Final Fantasy as much as Dragon Quest, I've always admired the Final Fantasy series for having the balls to include apocalyptic after Earth scenarios. And...after eleven installments, Dragon Quest FINALLY decided to go "there". Not since Dragon Quest VII have we seen the big bad cause THIS much damage.

First of all, I wasn't really surprised that the king was being possessed by Mordegon. It made perfect sense, really. What I wasn't expecting was for him to actually EXTRACT the Luminary's own power/essence like that. WOW! And then he takes what we know to be the future Sword of Erdrick and morphs it into a demonic sword and WHOOSH--the World Tree itself--SOURCE OF THE AFTERLIFE--is destroyed! What a riveting and cinematic scene! Now I see why people were trying to keep this under wraps. This was one of the best sequences of the entire franchise!

And now here we are in a dead world like Final Fantasy III--er, VI (It's still Final Fantasy III in my heart of hearts. I never got used to calling it VI) with an eternally-dim sky where the sun shines at 50% reduced brightness. And now it feels like Dragon Quest IV with character-specific chapters and our entire party scattered to the four winds. I'm only assuming it will mirror IV where I play a chapter for each character now with the Luminary as the culmination. I'm currently on Jade's chapter where she's trapped in some demon world called "Limboo". Dragon Quest IV is my favorite of the series so I love the idea of going through a similar chapter system for the next little bit.

Amazing. I can see now how people tried to hide this surprise in the game. Up to the point of that World Tree, you already feel as if you've played a full Dragon Quest experience and then WHAM--a total curve ball is thrown in when you realize that was only Phase 1 and Phase 2, so far, feels like an entirely new game.

I love this twist. This game is very deceptive in it, too. Up to this point (save for Dundrasil and the mermaid) this felt like a rather lighthearted Dragon Quest adventure. Now it's just as dark as Dragon Quest VII / Final Fantasy VI.

PS: I couldn't help but notice that Erdwin sure looks a hell of a lot like Erdrick from Dragon Quest III. Interesting...

Yep that's the part I was waiting for you to get to. There's another part I'm looking forward to people getting to after that. All these people thinking the game is cheery, fun, and lighthearted. You fools!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Yep that's the part I was waiting for you to get to. There's another part I'm looking forward to people getting to after that. All these people thinking the game is cheery, fun, and lighthearted. You fools!

It definitely threw me for a loop. Dragon Quest VII was melancholy from the get-go. Dragon Quest XI begins mostly like VIII and feels cheery up until you hit Dundrasil and you're going "wait a minute..." and then the mermaid storyline and NOW...this. Wow...

Even seeing that weather cow saying: "I can't do the weather anymore" felt sad. Thankfully, Sylvando was able to cheer Old Bessie up.

This game feels like the chemical reaction to mixing Dragon Quest VIII with large doses of VII. I can't wait to see what happens next.

3 hours ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

...WOW.

Oh...my...God...

Hide contents

Spoiler

I find it really fascinating how Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest take inspiration from each-other. You have Final Fantasy 6 like you mention taking a page from DQ4 with its party members having their own stories before all converging, and now DQ11 taking from FF with the big cataclysm ruining most of the world and breaking up the band of heroes. it's a beautiful thing if you ask me.

That part of the game really hit me having played the original with some of its foreshadowing. Especially one line in particular...

WARNING! DO NOT OPEN THIS NEXT SPOILER BOX BELOW UNTIL YOU'VE REACHED THE END OF ACT 2. SERIOUSLY.

Spoiler

Last Chance

Spoiler

Serena: "We were born at the same time, so our leaves bloomed at the same time, didn't they? Do you think they'll... fall at the same time too?"

Veronica: "Hmm.. I don't know. You've always been a bit slow, to be honest..."

:cry2: Ohhh right in the feels...

Edited by SlimeVagrant

4 hours ago, SlimeVagrant said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I find it really fascinating how Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest take inspiration from each-other. You have Final Fantasy 6 like you mention taking a page from DQ4 with its party members having their own stories before all converging, and now DQ11 taking from FF with the big cataclysm ruining most of the world and breaking up the band of heroes. it's a beautiful thing if you ask me.

That part of the game really hit me having played the original with some of its foreshadowing. Especially one line in particular...

WARNING! DO NOT OPEN THIS NEXT SPOILER BOX BELOW UNTIL YOU'VE REACHED THE END OF ACT 2. SERIOUSLY.

Reveal hidden contents

Last Chance

Reveal hidden contents

Serena: "We were born at the same time, so our leaves bloomed at the same time, didn't they? Do you think they'll... fall at the same time too?"

Veronica: "Hmm.. I don't know. You've always been a bit slow, to be honest..."

:cry2: Ohhh right in the feels...

Because of my massive shock at the World Tree, I will abide by your suggestion of not opening the spoiler box and I am BAD at avoiding spoilers most of the time. The World Tree shocked me. I want to be shocked again. I'm actually legit worried for the other party members. I'm wondering about Gemma and my adoptive mother.

One part that really got me was:

Spoiler

Veronica. The way she clung to the Luminary's arm, frightened, when the core of the tree was exploding.

Someone about Veronica is quite touching. She's been clinging to the Luminary since she's met him and she seems to have dubbed him her protector, whether he is aware of it or not.

It's especially emotional because she apparently stuck by the Luminary's side earlier when he was recovering in the cabin and refused to leave him.

I found it odd at first that it seems as if they're building her character as someone who has a possible romantic affection for the Luminary but then I had to remind myself that Veronica isn't a little girl on the inside--she's basically the Luminary's age. She's just de-aged physically. I don't know if romance is what they were going for but I was definitely getting that vibe. In any other story this would be odd. In here, though? It's fine. We know Veronica is nearly an adult in reality.

Still--she clings to him as the tree is falling like a child would and it's heartbreaking to behold.

I have to say--I haven't cared this much about a cast of characters in a Dragon Quest since Dragon Quest IV and V. Veronica and Jade are also my favorite female characters since Alena.

...WOW.
Oh...my...God...

I know! Seeing the Hero's horrible hair blow in the breeze in that cutscene... Damn, that was nearly a Game Over moment for me.
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I know! Seeing the Hero's horrible hair blow in the breeze in that cutscene... Damn, that was nearly a Game Over moment for me.

LOL! Just remember: his heart is in the right place...even though his hair is not.

Edited by ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

One part that really got me was:

Reveal hidden contents

Veronica. The way she clung to the Luminary's arm, frightened, when the core of the tree was exploding.

Someone about Veronica is quite touching. She's been clinging to the Luminary since she's met him and she seems to have dubbed him her protector, whether he is aware of it or not.

It's especially emotional because she apparently stuck by the Luminary's side earlier when he was recovering in the cabin and refused to leave him.

I found it odd at first that it seems as if they're building her character as someone who has a possible romantic affection for the Luminary but then I had to remind myself that Veronica isn't a little girl on the inside--she's basically the Luminary's age. She's just de-aged physically. I don't know if romance is what they were going for but I was definitely getting that vibe. In any other story this would be odd. In here, though? It's fine. We know Veronica is nearly an adult in reality.

Still--she clings to him as the tree is falling like a child would and it's heartbreaking to behold.

I have to say--I haven't cared this much about a cast of characters in a Dragon Quest since Dragon Quest IV and V. Veronica and Jade are also my favorite female characters since Alena.

That got me the most in my initial playthrough. Going through on Switch I'm dreading getting back there cause I'm not ready for the feels again 😕

I got Sylvando tonight and am headed to Gondolia. Picked up the pastword and headed back to Tickington before calling it a night.

So I have been sorta rushing to get to the new "super boss". Somewhat ignoring my weapons and armor. Since I turned off draconic and wasn't having much of an issue. And well... I hit a brickwall. I spent all my free time today getting the best equipment to tackle on this boss. Level 99 and everything. I attempted to fight the boss again and he just destroyed me. Massively.

I REALLY hope you guys like a good challenge. Cause this boss will  take everything you got. Including the grinding. I am fully convinced that this new post game content is impossible with full Draconic. Unless you really want to spend the rest of your life grinding out those seeds.

This whole day made me realize that I might not be suited to handle the grind for a complete Draconic run. I will still attempt it, but I really have no faith on tackling the post game stuff. I might just end up saying "no" to the idea and just do my third run with a couple turned on.

• Like 1

So, I got further last night and finally finished the character chapters. What a nice little DQIV sort of segue. Was this in the original game or was this some of the "extra character content" that was being advertised for this Definitive Edition? I'm only asking because I think that, speaking in terms of narrative, it would have made more sense to start with the Luminary's section since that showed a better scope of the ruined world.

So...

Spoiler

That church scene...wow. I've never seen something THAT dark in Dragon Quest. That dead father holding his dead son in his arms with the girl screaming. What a scene!

So, as it would turn out, it was JASPER who had a bigger hand in the Cobblestone destruction than Hendrick. Hendrick, as it would turn out, isn't such a bad guy after all. It's odd seeing the two of them on a journey together but I greatly enjoy it.

I have a theory on this game's storyline: no way...NO WAY is this disaster permanent. I don't buy it. This is Avengers Endgame levels of apocalyptic, if not more. I think this will be reversed by the end. That World Tree is the source of all life. Perhaps, if we can revive it, it will undo the death and carnage, breathing life back into the lands and undoing all that death and destruction. NO WAY am I believing that Dragon Quest went THIS dark to just permanently remain this way. It's not in the style of this series. For God's sake, Dragon Quest VII starts with most of the world already destroyed and systematically goes about undoing the destruction, one island/continent at a time. Most of Orgodemire's destruction is undone. I believe the same will happen here.

I must say--I'm a bit perplexed. So, this is supposed to be a part of the Erdrick saga (as was advertised for a long time) and that is clearly Erdrick's sword in the World Tree...I'm wondering who the hell this Erdwin is. He looks like the hero from Dragon Quest III. God, same hair, headband and tunic...but I recall a few different Dragon Quest fans (one here and two on another board)  claiming this is an earlier Pangaea-like version of the Earth-like world from Dragon Quest III. So...I'm struggling to understand what that painting of this "Erdwin" is. He sure as hell looks like the hero from DQIII. Perhaps it is a painting of the future? It does seem as if Arboria's people have some knowledge that transcends time. Anyway, don't spoil it for me. I'm just confused.

I also couldn't help but notice that, in Rab's vision, his daughter suggests naming the Luminary "Erdrick". Hmmm...foreshadowing? Perhaps the Luminary is the reincarnation of Erdrick? I've had that theory for years now since reading the original synopsis.

So many questions...

8 hours ago, Twinkie said:

So I have been sorta rushing to get to the new "super boss". Somewhat ignoring my weapons and armor. Since I turned off draconic and wasn't having much of an issue. And well... I hit a brickwall. I spent all my free time today getting the best equipment to tackle on this boss. Level 99 and everything. I attempted to fight the boss again and he just destroyed me. Massively.

I REALLY hope you guys like a good challenge. Cause this boss will  take everything you got. Including the grinding. I am fully convinced that this new post game content is impossible with full Draconic. Unless you really want to spend the rest of your life grinding out those seeds.

This whole day made me realize that I might not be suited to handle the grind for a complete Draconic run. I will still attempt it, but I really have no faith on tackling the post game stuff. I might just end up saying "no" to the idea and just do my third run with a couple turned on.

Wait. Even at 99 he's a challenge? Jeeeezus. Glad I don't play with Draconian stuff.

So hopefully there's a good walkthrough for the Tockle quests at some point. I got the IX Observatory one and it seems I have to wait until a quest comes up with the area I need to go to. Those little green sparkles above the books are gonna kill me if I can't complete stuff right away.

• Like 1

So hopefully there's a good walkthrough for the Tockle quests at some point. I got the IX Observatory one and it seems I have to wait until a quest comes up with the area I need to go to. Those little green sparkles above the books are gonna kill me if I can't complete stuff right away.
There's a list here on the Den for 2D mode. I believe somebody posted one for 3D mode to Reddit.

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

To be honest, I don't like the tockle quests that require finding some damn item on the main world map. I much preferred the style of the DQVII quest that involved playing through a cave and fighting a boss at the end. I find these "find some item on the world map and return it to the Dragon Quest world" quests to be a bit pointless, to be honest. I want to immerse myself in the past Dragon Quest world rather than finding some item in the main world map and returning it to the world. I hope these don't make up the brunt of the past Dragon Quest worlds. I found that very disappointing when I ran into that for the DQIII and IX altars.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:
2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

There's a list here on the Den for 2D mode. I believe somebody posted one for 3D mode to Reddit.

Not to find where they are, I have no problem exploring for them. I'm talking about the actual quests. The IX one mentions going somewhere to find a fygg but you can't go anywhere else in the current area.

Not to find where they are, I have no problem exploring for them. I'm talking about the actual quests. The IX one mentions going somewhere to find a fygg but you can't go anywhere else in the current area.
Whoops my bad!

Some of the quests you can't finish till unlocking other world. Go Fygger Yourself takes a particularly long time til you can clear it.

Right now I just got the magic key. I'm considering going to 2D mode for a bit for the giggles, but I enjoy the VA too much.

6 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Whoops my bad!

Some of the quests you can't finish till unlocking other world. Go Fygger Yourself takes a particularly long time til you can clear it.

I figured that was the case. Pretty cool that you have to do things in other worlds to complete quests. Really makes the series feel connected. 

I got the ship tonight. I know I should go to Zwaddurst or however you spell it but Porta Valor is right there once you leave Gondolia. Might head to the next Tockle location at The Warriors Inn and head back to Valor.

Just heard Kai’s story, and it was so weird hearing “Distant Memories,” in symphonic form. Not because it was bad; far from it. It was weird because the song is sort of a rarity to actually hear in a DQ game, even when it was first introduced in Dragon Quest III’s Super Famicom remake.

I actually forgot it was used here in Dragon Quest XI, and the symphonic version definitely adds some weight to the song thanks to that lone cello (or it may be a low note playing violin, I’ve never been 100% sure) that plays the melody.

Sugiyama can write some damn good music, man.

So, since I’m replaying the game, I decided to do an action you really shouldn’t when it comes to...certain events in Lonalulu. Well, I felt really guilty about that, and went with the other option, and even though it was the downer of the two choices it just felt like the correct one. I actually got a little teary eyed from it, though that could have been because of “With Sadness in Heart.” Roll your eyes at me all you want, but the symphonic music makes the cutscenes all the more impactful.

I’m actually wondering if it’s because of the story in this part of the game that I kind of subconsciously took my time getting back to the game. Same thing sort of happened before I got to Dundrasil and had to watch those heart breaking cutscenes again...

Man, DQ11 gets to you. Other DQ games have been able to do that, but I feel like DQ11 just nails the emotional story telling so well. I’m not someone who needs a super amazing story or whatever to get into a game/RPG, but it’s all about how the writing is delivered and conveyed to the player that gets me. It’s why I like Dragon Quest (and Etrian Odyssey) so much.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

So, since I’m replaying the game, I decided to do an action you really shouldn’t when it comes to...certain events in Lonalulu. Well, I felt really guilty about that, and went with the other option, and even though it was the downer of the two choices it just felt like the correct one. I actually got a little teary eyed from it, though that could have been because of “With Sadness in Heart.” Roll your eyes at me all you want, but the symphonic music makes the cutscenes all the more impactful.

I’m actually wondering if it’s because of the story in this part of the game that I kind of subconsciously took my time getting back to the game. Same thing sort of happened before I got to Dundrasil and had to watch those heart breaking cutscenes again...

Man, DQ11 gets to you. Other DQ games have been able to do that, but I feel like DQ11 just nails the emotional story telling so well. I’m not someone who needs a super amazing story or whatever to get into a game/RPG, but it’s all about how the writing is delivered and conveyed to the player that gets me. It’s why I like Dragon Quest (and Etrian Odyssey) so much.

I picked that option during the Lonalulu stuff my first time playing. I ended up picking the other option for the same reason. I didn't want to go through that again. I also skipped the Dundrasil scene for the very same reason. I had stuff going on in my life not too long before DQ11 came out. That Dundrasil scene tore me up pretty damn hard. I enjoy good emotional story telling. But I just didn't want to go through with it again.

I finished battling the skeleton ripped right out of Army of Darkness last night and went to bed right after arriving back at the camp and witnessing the celebration.

Regarding Hendrik and Jasper:

Spoiler

I really don't care for this storyline. At all. It feels like a discount version of Angelo/Marcello. I have NO emotion for this "friendship torn asunder". None. This was done so much better in Dragon Quest VIII. I actually felt for those two. With Hendrik and Jasper? I feel nothing. Jasper is rather one-dimensional and Hendrik's development up to this point has taken so long to come to a head that I have no real emotional investment in him as of yet. I really think this game would have been better off without that rather nauseatingly corny/underdeveloped angle.

Regardless, I'm really starting to warm up to Hendrik. The man is nobility personified. He's a hardass but he cares about fulfilling his mission. The way he apologizes to the Luminary at long last and then shields him with his body from Jasper...awesome. I especially love how he told Jasper that he feels unfulfilled and not at all like a hero but that he has one purpose in his life now: protect the Luminary.

This guy basically elected himself as a sort of bodyguard for the Luminary and instantly holds a respect for him. You can see him struggle to swallow his pride before his initial apology and could tell that he was embarrassed/ashamed of his actions.

Hendrik is a good man and I think I'll enjoy having him as an official party member. I honestly wasn't expecting him to join when I first played this game. In fact--all the initial marketing seemed to hint he was a villain. Great job as concealing this one, Squarenix! They even kept him off the cover AND loading screens.

I'm happy to see the "Darkspawwwwn!!!" era of this story officially OVER.

PS: And how cool was that when the Luminary offers his hand to Hendrik with a smile? That kid is such a humble, pure and magnanimous character in this story. Truly the "Captain America" of Dragon Quest heroes.

Anyway, I found it funny how they said: "Light has returned to these lands!" and yet the full daytime scenes are still about 50% less light than Act 1. It will be interesting going through the rest of the game like this. Now I see why they didn't include a customary dark world in this game--we've literally transformed into one.

Anyway, I'm a little torn on whether I need to grind or not. Luminary is at Level 37 and is absolutely punishing enemies with his Crosscut ability. However--the Army of Darkness reject absolutely PUNISHED me last night night. I found myself healing the Luminary every other turn. Up to that point, I was convinced that I was OVER-leveled. Any advice on this point?

6 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I picked that option during the Lonalulu stuff my first time playing. I ended up picking the other option for the same reason. I didn't want to go through that again. I also skipped the Dundrasil scene for the very same reason. I had stuff going on in my life not too long before DQ11 came out. That Dundrasil scene tore me up pretty damn hard. I enjoy good emotional story telling. But I just didn't want to go through with it again.

Dundrasil really trivializes Trodain, if you ask me. MUCH MUCH worse situation. Devastating, really--ESPECIALLY with the Rab dream sequence where the castle is in its glory days.

Finally got my hands on the green orb, so only 3 more to go. I kind of don’t want to leave the town you get the green orb in only because it has “Saint’s Wreath,” playing. I knew the symphonic form of the song would be beautiful for this town. Of course, I also think like Rab and am happy with this “paradise,” if you know what I mean... 😏

Anyway, I’ll probably do some exploring now that I can reach new areas of the ocean and will head to Phnom Nonh next. I really hope the boss of that area will be easier to fight now than it was the first time I played the game. At least I now have the knowledge on what to expect from that fight with stronger enemies on.

• Like 1