Dragon Quest XI S Progress

6 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
7 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
It’s especially ironic given that Nevan is one of the characters you’re making.
You’ll be forgiven if you dismantle that Ashlynn one. We can look the other way then. 

At least this now finishes 6. Onward to DQ3 next. After some 11!

I'm serious about buying DQ3 ones, Especially Erdrick. Would you consider doing a GBC sprites or are you sticking with SFC sprites?

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, it was 2D Mode. It invokes the era of no voices in RPGs. Back in our day we didn’t have no fancy voice actin’! We made up voices in our head and we liked it that way, carnsarnit! Ahem...sor

Completed the 3rd trial of the trial isle after using most of my pep pips to farm some seeds of skill. Figured "what else am I gonna do with em?" My party is starting to look final boss worthy, though

Just started my game of DQ11S last night.  REALLY late to the party, but I tend to buy a huge glut of games.  My backlog is embarassing.  I will devote as much of myself to this as I can for the next

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I'm serious about buying DQ3 ones, Especially Erdrick. Would you consider doing a GBC sprites or are you sticking with SFC sprites?

Personally I need more color.  I'll be doing these. That bunny girl and the vibrant pinks really make these look cool. The males and females look more definitively different.

image.png

While classic, each of these are three colors, tops.

image.png

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Personally I need more color.  I'll be doing these. That bunny girl and the vibrant pinks really make these look cool. The males and females look more definitively different.

image.png

While classic, each of these are three colors, tops.

image.png

Makes sense. The GBC sprites are more nostalgic to me which is why I asked. If you would consider making an extra SFC Erdrick for me I would totally pay, but of course, only if you're willing.

5 hours ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

So...am I leveled up enough? I don't want to be TOO high but I also don't want to be punished for a while either.

It is suggested that you be around level 28 to fight Dora. So you should be good.

I seem to keep playing for awhile but get absolutely nothing done plot wise.

So, I finally gained access to the open ocean. Met with Michelle (her high pitch voice still kind of annoys me, but I give her a pass because of her design...😏) and was told to head to Lonalulu.

What did I do instead? Totally ignored that and went around hunting down monsters and materials, that’s what! Got a Cat Hood, Dancer’s Outfit, the stuff to make a few Robes of Serenity, and went to the Sniflheim region early to get some platinum ore in order to make the Drasilian armor set for the hero. It was fun to just kind of zone out and not worry about the plot though, so I’m totally fine with it.

Fun fact: they changed the appearance of the Drasilian Armor set. Specifically, it and the cape are new colors, which means it no longer is identical to the upgraded version of the armor set later in the game. I hope this means every costume option that looked identical in the PS4/Steam version will now be alternate colored in order to better differentiate between them. It made it really weird when characters like Rab had 4 different appearance changing sets of armor, yet the upgraded versions you earned in post game looked exactly like the ones from early on.

Also, I’m glad I’ve been able to get the appearance altering gear for certain characters thanks to enemies. It’s nice they have alternate means to obtain them by defeating specific enemies & getting their rare drop item when you have “No Shopping,” as a Draconian setting. I probably won’t have Serena and Veronica equip the Dancer and Cat outfits respectfully at this point of the game, but at least with the full costumes now I can make them wear the ensembles. I’m glad they made that change for the costumes.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday: I was really happy to hear the symphonic version of “Saint’s Wreath,” in the game once you start talking to Michelle. “Saint’s Wreath,” is one of my favorite Dragon Quest songs, and I’ve thought for the longest time how great it would be to hear it in symphonic form in one of the games. It totally didn’t disappoint, and I can’t wait to hear it in the city it plays in later on.

9 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday: I was really happy to hear the symphonic version of “Saint’s Wreath,” in the game once you start talking to Michelle. “Saint’s Wreath,” is one of my favorite Dragon Quest songs, and I’ve thought for the longest time how great it would be to hear it in symphonic form in one of the games. It totally didn’t disappoint, and I can’t wait to hear it in the city it plays in later on.

What's the name of the song in the personality quiz at the beginning of DQ3? That's my favorite DQ song and hearing the symphonic version of it in Tickington was great.

Edit: Ah! It's "Distant Memories", I love that and the Prologue song. Thanks to this awesome site called woodus.com I'm able to listen to all my favorite Dragon Warrior 3 songs. Y 'all should check out that site it's pretty cool.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
42 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

What's the name of the song in the personality quiz at the beginning of DQ3? That's my favorite DQ song and hearing the symphonic version of it in Tickington was great.

Edit: Ah! It's "Distant Memories", I love that and the Prologue song. Thanks to this awesome site called woodus.com I'm able to listen to all my favorite Dragon Warrior 3 songs. Y 'all should check out that site it's pretty cool.

The personality quiz song is “Prologue.” It was introduced in the Super Famicom version and was used in the GBC version as well. Mobile version and onward the song is no longer in the game and instead the song “Small Shrine,” plays instead when doing the quiz.

”Distant Memories,” plays in sad moments of the game. Specifically it kicks in when Ortega is finally speaking to the hero before his death. It’s been awhile, but I believe it also plays in the day (or night) time version of the village that’s south of Baramos’ Castle and is completely destroyed.

I seem to keep playing for awhile but get absolutely nothing done plot wise.
So, I finally gained access to the open ocean. Met with Michelle (her high pitch voice still kind of annoys me, but I give her a pass because of her design...) and was told to head to Lonalulu.
What did I do instead? Totally ignored that and went around hunting down monsters and materials, that’s what! Got a Cat Hood, Dancer’s Outfit, the stuff to make a few Robes of Serenity, and went to the Sniflheim region early to get some platinum ore in order to make the Drasilian armor set for the hero. It was fun to just kind of zone out and not worry about the plot though, so I’m totally fine with it.
Fun fact: they changed the appearance of the Drasilian Armor set. Specifically, it and the cape are new colors, which means it no longer is identical to the upgraded version of the armor set later in the game.

I thought the Drasilian Armor was different. Lighter in color. I wore that armor for a good 25 hours in the original. Probably will here to as it's so much nicer than the default Hanson Hero sprite.
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I thought the Drasilian Armor was different. Lighter in color. I wore that armor for a good 25 hours in the original. Probably will here to as it's so much nicer than the default Hanson Hero sprite.

MMMMM BOP BEEEEE BOP BOP DOOO BOP

• Like 1

For anybody who has beaten the last boss for the third part of the Alter of Salvation with harder monsters on, what level were you at? I'm at 54 right now and the boss just feels like a joke he's so broken. Somebody at SE had to have a massive nostalgia hard on for this guy. I don't think he was this bad in 3.

Edited by Kaeneth
13 hours ago, Kaeneth said:

For anybody who has beaten Baramos for the third part of the Alter of Salvation with harder monsters on, what level were you at? I'm at 54 right now and the boss just feels like a joke he's so broken. Somebody at SE had to have a massive nostalgia hard on for this guy. I don't think he was this bad in 3.

Oh...I was unaware old bosses return...woulda put a spoiler tag on that but whatever. 

• Upvote 1
On 10/11/2019 at 12:58 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Fun fact: they changed the appearance of the Drasilian Armor set. Specifically, it and the cape are new colors, which means it no longer is identical to the upgraded version of the armor set later in the game. I hope this means every costume option that looked identical in the PS4/Steam version will now be alternate colored in order to better differentiate between them.

I thought it looked weird! You might be onto something there with pallete swapped outfits. In one of new mini stories an alternate color of a certain outfit is featured. Though I don't recall there being a higher level version of that particular outfit in the original so there's still room for doubt.

16 hours ago, Kaeneth said:

For anybody who has beaten ******* for the third part of the Alter of *********** with harder monsters on, what level were you at? I'm at 54 right now and the boss just feels like a joke he's so broken. Somebody at SE had to have a massive nostalgia hard on for this guy. I don't think he was this bad in 3.

Woah spoilers! I was kind of hoping there'd be a fight with that guy but man I wish you spoiler tagged that

40 minutes ago, SlimeVagrant said:

Woah spoilers! I was kind of hoping there'd be a fight with that guy but man I wish you spoiler tagged that

Well if that’s not the pot calling the kettle black, Mr. Let’s Name Drop

Spoiler

Mia

Likes it’s nothing. 😜

Seriously though, that fight with that particular boss probably should have been put into spoiler tags @Kaeneth. Not trying to dog you or anything, but that is content a lot of folks wouldn’t know about.

26 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Well if that’s not the pot calling the kettle black, Mr. Let’s Name Drop

Reveal hidden contents

Mia

Likes it’s nothing. 😜

Seriously though, that fight with that particular boss probably should have been put into spoiler tags @Kaeneth. Not trying to dog you or anything, but that is content a lot of folks wouldn’t know about.

God damn it why did I open that spoiler tag. Time to play XI-S so I stop getting the new stuff spoiled.

14 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

God damn it why did I open that spoiler tag. Time to play XI-S so I stop getting the new stuff spoiled.

What I put in that spoiler isn’t anything new to the game. What’s in the spoiler is in the original. You won’t have to worry about that spoiler until Act 2, so don’t be too upset.

• Like 1

Stay on target. By tomorrow I'll have bum rushed the last 12 or so hours of Grandia since Thursday night. Working on finishing up games I'm close to.

Then again, I did 20ish hours of XI S, so I didn't exactly wait.

Seriously how is a name of a character a that's only in this game a spoiler? I could see if I mentioned who that character was or their relationship to the plot, or if it's a returning character like 

Spoiler

Aquilla, or Baramos apparently.

but I just don't see how a name alone is a spoiler.

btw there's also a character named

Spoiler

Doge Rotondo

Should I just censor every name of every character I say? I honestly don't get it.

Edited by SlimeVagrant
28 minutes ago, SlimeVagrant said:

Seriously how is a name of a character a that's only in this game a spoiler? I could see if I mentioned who that character was or their relationship to the plot, or if it's a returning character like 

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Doge Rotondo

Should I just censor every name of every character I say? I honestly don't get it.

Jesus, calm down man. I was giving you #$*!. You know, joking with you. It’s what I do.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Doge Rotondo

Emojis are used to show emotion. Yangus's emoji made me take his entire post as intended: as a joke.

I feel like I say this a bazillion times a day as a teacher: relax.
  • Like 1

Well, with that behind us...

I’m trying to finally finish up Lonalulu tonight. I’ve been messing around in the game the past two nights after work, mainly sailing to the other islands you can reach via the outer sea. I got lucky on the eastern most island, Slime Island (or Isle Oreintalis I believe it’s officially called) and killed a few metal slimes, so now most everyone is at level 30. I don’t remember if I was at this level in the PS4 version around this point of the game, but with the EXP restriction Draconian setting I’m kind of taking advantage of gaining EXP whenever I can!

For now, I’m going to Tickington, and I have to laugh at how the hero’s outfits affect his sprite in 2D mode. By default, he always carries a sword around in his sprites. In any of his costume, he decides “Eh, I don’t need to constantly carry this thing in my right hand.” It’s a minor thing, but it made me laugh.

• Like 1

Took down the Tentacular without too much trouble. He was a real pain on the PS4 version. Using Dazzle really helped deal with the damage, plus Rab’s Right as Rain skill helped too. Gonna quit for the night now, but it’s cool to hear the celebration music from DQ6 “Folk Dance,” in its symphonic form before closing the game.

Also, I was really surprised to hear DQ5’s “Evil Motif,” got the symphonic treatment in game too. It’s funny how some of the jingles are symphonic and taken from the DQ1 Tokyo Metropolitan Symphonic Suite recordings, but then the other half of the jingles are still synth. Again, it’s one of those things that’s kind of funny and makes me laugh.

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as un-calm. It was a genuine question out of genuine confusion. If it was just Yangus and his silly emoji that's fine but when I have two people complaining about me simply mentioning a character's name then it seems like something is off.

Been taking the game pretty slowly recently, just made it through the last of the Start-of-Act 2 Mini stories. Here's some brief thoughts on them.

Spoiler

I really liked Rab's story overall. It's the only time I can recall in the series where you get to play as a king and actually do king stuff like international relations. Was neat that you got to see the results of your choices at the end and it makes me wonder just how much the results can differ. I was able to even get something of a puff puff out of it :laugh:! For how many time's I've played the beginning of DQ5 I immediately recognized it when they started taking dialogue directly from the opening of DQ5 when the Luminary is born. Makes me want to try and name my Luminary Erdrick to see if the King's name suggestion changes just like it does in DQ5. The boss at the end was a welcome challenge as well.

I feel like Erik had the weakest of the 4 stories. I didn't think they could but somehow they managed to have a healslime be even more annoying than Helix. I also can't remember if Erik's amnesia was explained in the original version, but the reason him getting Amnesia seemed really contrived.  Maybe I'll change my mind when I get to his part in Act 2 proper because I can't remember much about it tbh besides him being a stowaway aboard your boat at some point.

Jade's was okay. It was really neat getting to see all the fighters of Octogonia in action again, this time fighting alongside you. It was nice to see how Jade acts alone and that she's a hero to her core. Other than that it was your typical DQ wackiness.  Was good, but didn't have as much an effect on me as Rab's and Sylvando's.

Sylvando's was the longest and the most developed of all of them. I never thought I'd want an origin story for his "Soldiers of Smile" but it was fantastic. I've already talked some about it earlier, but I love all the temporary party members you can recruit in this chapter. They even went so far as to have their own unique voice acted lines for battle when they do certain moves or win a battle etc. I still chuckle whenever I think about "DAVE CHOP!" and "DAVE KICK!" "LOVELY JUBBY". One thing I didn't mention before was some interesting dialogue at the end of his chapter with the circus ringleader. He mentions that Sylvando resembles a talented female performer he used to know that apparently disappeared and got married to a knight. Ya wouldn't know it at this point unless you've played the original, but Sylvando's father is a pretty important knight.... I wonder if anything more comes of this later...