Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI S Progress

35 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

One of these things is not like the other. 🤔

I’m surprised I remembered that exactly as it happened.

He never says he almost sold it. The closest he says is "I had my own plans for it but this is more important." There's no part where he gives you the orb though, it just doesn't show up in your inventory until this point. My guess is it's something mechanical with the game tracking progress. Maybe having orbs in your inventory puts you in a progression state where you can access certain things. Game code is weird like that.

Spent a few hours on the slots since the jackpot bunny said that there would be a jackpot soon, but no luck there. Got bored after a while and decided to do some poker, and I ended up getting 5 of a kind! All Aces too! Set me up with a lightning lance with some tokens to spare and now im off to tickington!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AustNerevar said:
3 hours ago, SlimeVagrant said:
Without spoiling anything I can tell you the end of Act 1 Takes place at Yggdrasil. When you head there you'll know something big is about to go down.

DLC outfits do work in 2d. Though not in cutscenes

Ah maybe they do! I think I figured it out:

I just went to Tickington and Jade wasn't in the bunny outfit I had set her to. In the equipment menu in 2D mode the outfit selector is absent and it seems your sprites reflect the actual gear you're wearing. That would explain why Erik and the twins are still in alt outfits while im in Tickington but Jade isn't.

• Like 1

I put on the VIII overworld theme and hoooooo baby I remember how amazing that game was. Kind of a bummer it doesn't have the battle theme as well. Kind of puts the XI overworld and battle themes to shame.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

More Tickington stuff:

Spoiler

Just got the Sabrecat House Pastword from Lonalulu. I couldn't find anything to do there though. The Altar of the Cursed King is still lit up which I thought indicated there is still a quest to be completed there but I couldn't find one. Did I miss something?

Really digging this Orchestral version of DQVI's "Folk Dance" in Lonalulu after the boss fight. :overjoyed2:

Edited by SlimeVagrant

37 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I put on the VIII overworld theme and hoooooo baby I remember how amazing that game was. Kind of a bummer it doesn't have the battle theme as well. Kind of puts the XI overworld and battle themes to shame.

I really feel like I’m the only person who actually likes DQ11’s soundtrack. Been enjoying it since I got the symphonic suite last year In January.

Got passed the new stuff for the beginning of Act 2. Now on my way to Dundrasil. The new story stuff was pretty good, but Sylvando's just felt like it dragged on for way too long.

I really feel like I’m the only person who actually likes DQ11’s soundtrack. Been enjoying it since I got the symphonic suite last year In January.
One of the owners of RPGamer has done a complete 180 on the soundtrack. He did not like it when he played last year. He loved DQVIII's and was excited to be able to change to that. A few hours into the symphonic soundtrack on Switch and even with the choice to switch to DQVIII's he's now in love with XI's. Talked a lot about it this week on RPG Cast.

8 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I mean it's fine on it's own even if there's a bunch of remixes of past tracks. I'm just saying when put up against another game in the series, the one with probably the best soundtrack, it's a bummer.

I do like DQXI's soundtrack a lot. The city theme is lively and complex, I really enjoy the music that plays during the forge (and in some villages?), that triumphant theme that plays whenever things are going well with your party always makes me smile, and I enjoy the cave/dungeon theme too. 

I do wish some of the tracks didn't repeat so much, but that's a common Dragon Quest problem. And I can't figure out why the battle theme doesn't normally play the extended/longer version (they save this for minibosses), which really would help break up some of the monotony.

The world's opened up a bit more now, but before going exploring, I did the next main chapter of the game: Lonalulu. Wow!

Spoiler

This was a sad one, folks. I appreciate that despite these games' inherent silly fun at most moments, they know how to hit home with the emotion as well. This seemed to be based off the original Hans Christian Anderson short story, The Little Mermaid. It was a pretty upsetting scenario all-around, and I'm not sure who I feel worst for. I'm hoping the town can turn around its silly superstitious fears now, and particularly for Kai's mother to learn the truth since she's constantly dumping on the man that saved her life.

So, the thing I didn't like about this story: it seemingly glorifies suicide. Kai is sort of dumbstruck in the moment which is understandable, but I don't like how my party all didn't intervene at all when Michelle was heading back to the ocean (everyone with full knowledge that this would kill her). Serena and Sylvando (and Erik, who's trying to hide it) are noticeably choked up about it in party chat afterwards, but Veronica outright says it wasn't our place to intervene.

What? Like heck it wasn't! If your friend lost her boyfriend and subsequently put a gun to her own head, you wouldn't stop her?

It's a bothersome moment in an otherwise touching and sad tale. I wish they would've just had Michelle do some magical whatever to keep the party from intervening for a moment or something, so at least they don't come across as heartless.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
10 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

One of the owners of RPGamer has done a complete 180 on the soundtrack. He did not like it when he played last year. He loved DQVIII's and was excited to be able to change to that. A few hours into the symphonic soundtrack on Switch and even with the choice to switch to DQVIII's he's now in love with XI's. Talked a lot about it this week on RPG Cast.

I had that a bit. When we first saw the early gameplay footage of XI back in early 2017 I wasn’t impressed with the music. Didn’t hear any of it again until the Japan release from the first hour or so of footage and I found myself liking it, particularly the triumphant music before leaving Cobblestone (I’d put the exact name of the song but I don’t have my iPod handy at the moment).

Got the symphonic suite in early January last year, listened through the whole thing without context, and I found myself enjoying the entire thing and relistened to it several times before DQ11 came out for us.

Are there other DQ soundtracks stronger than 11’s? Yes. I still say it’s good though, and I’d put it about halfway up my favorite DQ soundtracks, maybe just at the #5 spot depending on my mood.

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I mean it's fine on it's own even if there's a bunch of remixes of past tracks. I'm just saying when put up against another game in the series, the one with probably the best soundtrack, it's a bummer.

Yes, it is hard to compete with DQ7’s soundtrack. That game has the best DQ music. No sarcasm with that either, I legit think DQ7 has the best soundtrack of a DQ game.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

My preferred DQ OSTs are IV and VIII, but they all have their bright spots. Having the same composer for so many games leads to a lot of consistency.

Posted (edited)

Spoilers for Lonalulu:

Spoiler

So I decided to lie to Michelle this time because I didn't want mermaid suicide. Still felt really bad about it though. Veronica has a little George Lucas moment pointing out that she'll be waiting for Kainoa forever just like Kainoa waited on Saikiki Beach (It's like poetry it rhymes). Then Jade says that I did the right thing, that you can't live without hope even if that hope is an Illusion. I don't know if I necessarily agree with that but I guess this was a better ending since Michelle is still alive. One thing I am sure of though is that I am appreciating this game more on this second play-through of it. Even though I doubt they mean much overall I like that there's these elements of player choice such as the 3 ways to get past the guard in Downtown Heliodor that I mentioned much earlier in this thread.

I wouldn't say I dislike XI's soundtrack, only that it has the weakest soundtrack in the DQ series (which is an insanely high bar to be fair). I don't count all the re-used tracks from previous games and the few tracks it does have don't really stand out to me. Any other dragon quest game I can hum a few different tracks on the spot any time because they've stuck with me. I couldn't even pick a favorite OST the rest of the series is so Phenomenal.

Edited by SlimeVagrant

Hooray, Rab and Jade have finally joined my party! I’m glad I was able to sit down and watch the Dundrasil cutscenes without any interruptions today. The cutscenes there really got to me in the PS4 version, but the symphonic music in the Switch version combined with the already stellar voice acting in those scenes...man, it got to me even more than last time, and I knew it was coming!

Man...well, that aside, I’m happy to have them in the party now. I’m going to have Jade focus on Claws for something different, and Rab will go more towards magic rather than Claws for this playthrough.

Posted (edited)
On 10/7/2019 at 7:53 PM, SlimeVagrant said:

He never says he almost sold it. The closest he says is "I had my own plans for it but this is more important." There's no part where he gives you the orb though, it just doesn't show up in your inventory until this point.

I just saw this cutscene in game, and once Erik hands over the orb the game says “Hero receives the Red Orb!” So by all accounts, the hero technically didn’t possess it until Erik willingly gave it to him, thus explaining why it never appears in the inventory/bag.

Pictures courtesy of a playthrough over on YouTube:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I just saw this cutscene in game, and once Erik hands over the orb the game says “Hero receives the Red Orb!” So by all accounts, the hero technically didn’t possess it until Erik willingly gave it to him, thus explaining why it never appears in the inventory/bag.

Pictures courtesy of a playthrough over on YouTube:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Huh, I stand corrected then. I definitely remember seing the message for obtaining the yellow orb in that scene but somehow missed the one for the red. I was looking for it too.

More tickington updates (through sniflheim)

Spoiler

Got to visit the Neverglade from DQ5. Was a simple quest but I found it amusing that only Veronica could see thr faries. Played through 5 again relatively recently and I remember you had to take one of your children through that place because only they could see the faries.

Also got to visit the altar of rebirth from an MMO that doesn't exist. It seemed to be how one would choose a race in that hypothetical MMO, and it looked kind of cool. Had a neat boss fight that would summon monster counterparts of these races (though it never summoned the troll for me) which I think was a cute idea.

Also got to visit Alltrades Abby from DQ6 where they took one joke from that game and blew it up into an entire quest. It was just a simple fetch quest with a confusing reward. You get a golden pickaxe as a key item but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it. Wasn't it a key item in DQ6 as well? I can't quite remember and when I try and think about it I just remember a mountain climbing area. Maybe it'll be used in a future Tickington Quest.

Speaking of confusion, Chateu Felix is still there... with no quest... and no point...:worried:

• Like 1

Just went through the first of the switch exclusive story chapters at the start of act 2...

Spoiler

Absolutely loved all the voice lines they had for each of the temporary party members you accumulate through Sylvando's chapter. Especially Dave pretending that he's Capt. Falcon.

DAVE CHOP!

DAVE KICK!

Was grinning ear to ear the entire time it was wonderful. Have to take a break now but I can't wait to play all the other switch exclusive chapters.

God damn it. I was grinding around Dundrasil to catch Rab and Jade up in levels, after getting lucky with metal Slime kills, and after all that progress and what I thought was an auto save from the game, the hero #$*!ing died to a critical hit from a green dragon, causing instant game over, and I lost all my progress.

I am not a happy Yangus right now. I knew I was going to get rid of the “Hero dies, instant game over,” Draconian setting at some point, and I think it’s a good a time as any to do so. #$*! that restriction.

Now to repeat all my grinding and hope to god I can get some metal Slime kills.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Got to Gallopolis tonight. I loved Tickington and can't wait to finish all the quests. I forgot how much I loved Veronica.

Well, I got back what I lost. Put the battle speed on the highest setting again and went to town. Towards the end some metal slimes showed up, and during my hunting the Raven Lunatics I fought dropped a few seeds of agility.

I don’t regret dropping the Draconian setting. I’m still mad I had to repeat my progress entirely, but at least I got a few extra items thanks to all the Bunny Tails I have equipped.

• Like 1

I didn't get to progress very much due to school. And I, unintentionally, overlevelled by around 3 levels trying to get a Metal Slime to appear next to a Spitzfire and kill it (I did manage to get a Metal Slime to appear next to a Spitzfire, but it fled immediately). But I did get Sylvando to join my party, and I'm on my way to Gondolia.

• Like 1

Isn't this ironic? Me not playing 11 for 6...4269c6304fd0d7123e10509722ef0a1c.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Isn't this ironic? Me not playing 11 for 6...4269c6304fd0d7123e10509722ef0a1c.jpg

It’s especially ironic given that Nevan is one of the characters you’re making.

You’ll be forgiven if you dismantle that Ashlynn one. We can look the other way then. 

• Like 1

It’s especially ironic given that Nevan is one of the characters you’re making.
You’ll be forgiven if you dismantle that Ashlynn one. We can look the other way then. 
At least this now finishes 6. Onward to DQ3 next. After some 11!

Managed to get to the Fortress of Fear. Will probably end up completing the game tomorrow.

The more I play, the more I believe that a full draconic quest run is impossible. I have to grind 5+ levels or so above recommended levels for act 2. Factoring on not doing this with armor AND shy pox? Oh man.

So, I've been extremely busy all week and haven't really had time to play much. I haven't moved from the Mural World yet. Not a sausage, as Rab would say.

So, because I lacked time to really immerse myself last night, I hung out in the Mural World and found a perfect grinding spot at the save statue. What's great is that I can continually heal/save right here.

I was doing great for the entire game level-wise up to this point. I reached the Mural World at level 26 for the Luminary and, for some reason, was PUNISHED ever since I set foot in this godforsaken world. Enemies just beating us up left, right and center. I'm not sure if I'm severely underleveled or not. All that I know is that I hadn't lost a SINGLE party member at ANY point entered I entered the Mural World.

Thankfully, the perfectly grind spot was proven to be even better to me last night when I discovered some Liquid Metal Slimes. Now the Luminary is on level 30 WITH Zing in tow, thankfully.

So...am I leveled up enough? I don't want to be TOO high but I also don't want to be punished for a while either.