Jump to content
Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI S Progress

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I needed to move and select actions, not 1 or the other. 
 

Probably a bad time for me to tell you that you can use L2 and R2 to select actions while moving with the left stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Probably a bad time for me to tell you that you can use L2 and R2 to select actions while moving with the left stick.
On Switch? That'd be the ZR and ZL. They work?
27 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Sounds like Dragon Quest to me.

Ni No Kuni 2 had a similar structure, with each town joining forces with Evan’s cause and eventually leading to all the nations joining forces for the final confrontation. The NNK series has given me a Dragon Quest styled vibe since seeing the first game, just with the Studio Ghibli artstyle and music by Joe Hisaishi.

True. Not that it was bad, but it never gave much of a sense of progression. You were just going from place to place.  Again, it wasn't bad, but with the emotional gut punch at the beginning and so so many twists (eh, expected?) and huge plot points at the end, the middle was too sparce for 30 hours.  Also, you get stamps for doing sidequests. It looks so so so much like the DQ XI mini medal things (pictured below). Makes me think DQ was watching.

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 12.06.49 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

On Switch? That'd be the ZR and ZL. They work?

True. Not that it was bad, but it never gave much of a sense of progression. You were just going from place to place.  Again, it wasn't bad, but with the emotional gut punch at the beginning and so so many twists (eh, expected?) and huge plot points at the end, the middle was too sparce for 30 hours.  Also, you get stamps for doing sidequests. It looks so so so much like the DQ XI mini medal things (pictured below). Makes me think DQ was watching.

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 12.06.49 PM.png

It seems like Level-5 took inspiration from their time working on the DQ series. It seems to have bled into their other works in one way or another.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’ve left Gondolia and am now on the open seas thanks to the Salty Stallion! Man, it is so nice to here “Sea Breeze,” from Dragon Quest IV in its symphonic form as the sun rises in the ocean introduction cutscene. That was an awe-inspiring moment, and reminds me how DQ4 helped me get into the main series games. It helps that “Sea Breeze,” is one of my favorite sailing themes from the series, and it totally fits for sailing the world of DQ11. Makes me so happy to experience this all over again, you know?

 

The Jasper boss fight in Gondolia was as annoying as I remembered. He kept landing Fizzle on the twins, so it pretty much came down to MopTopMoS! and Sylvando to do the damage. Thankfully I’ve been doing all I can to make Mo a physical powerhouse: focusing on great swords, have him equipped with a +3 Ring of Strength and +3 Tough Guy Tattoo, using Cutting Edge every chance I could. Thankfully he went down quickly, but still, having Serena and Veronica Fizzled so much made for a bit of a tough battle when HP starting getting low.

I also had a funny glitch happen in Gondolia. When I was running from the soldiers I ended up running into one of the stalls (specifically the one where you can buy the Cat Suit) and I ended up getting stuck between a pillar and a wall! I could move and run, but couldn’t physically move from the spot! Luckily trying to use Zoom got me unstuck, and I was able to escape that weird little glitch.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Now that I can sail, I decided to head over to Puerto Valor first, like I did with the PS4 version. I saw Slime Knights and remembered they were one of the new mounts, so got into a fight with one and wound up going against a Snooty Slime Knight as well, which is the rare version of the Slime Knight. Erik managed to get a Prayer Ring from using Half Inch, got a Life Ring from Itemized Kill, and I ended up winning another Prayer Ring after the battle! For as awful as fighting that enemy can be due to how powerful the Snooty Slime Knight is, I’m more than happy with the rewards I earned.

I’m starting to think this is my “Torneko Fortune,” playthrough of DQ11. I say that because years ago when I replayed DQ4 I ended up using Torneko a lot in Chapter 5 because he kept stealing good items, which gave me a lot of cash and early equipment I didn’t need to buy myself. He’s was super helpful for the entire playthrough. 

Let’s hope this good luck sticks with me when I get to the casino.

 

Edit: HA! IT TOTALLY DID! I got to the Puerto Valor casino, turned in all my gold on hand since I can’t spend it anyway, and next thing I went from about 900 tokens to 30,000 thanks to hitting the Jackpot during Metal Mode on a 1-token slot machine! Time to go to the 10-token slot machines!

Edit 2: And now on the 10-token slots I have 27 free spins plus it’s Metal Mode, so essentially it’s 37 Metal Mode spins with only the last 10 being ones I have to pay out of pocket for. Man, I LOVE the Puerto Valor casino so much, and clearly it loves me too!!!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Now that I can sail, I decided to head over to Puerto Valor first, like I did with the PS4 version. I saw Slime Knights and remembered they were one of the new mounts, so got into a fight with one and wound up going against a Snooty Slime Knight as well, which is the rare version of the Slime Knight. Erik managed to get a Prayer Ring from using Half Inch, got a Life Ring from Itemized Kill, and I ended up winning another Prayer Ring after the battle! For as awful as fighting that enemy can be due to how powerful the Snooty Slime Knight is, I’m more than happy with the rewards I earned.

 

About time! I was so dissapointed in the original version when I found out Slime Knights weren't mountable. It's so obvious how could they miss that? I also remember farming a ton of prayer rings off snooty slime knights with help of the pre order wings of serendipidy in the original. Pretty sure they always drop a prayer ring even after you half inch one off them so you can easily get at least 2 per encounter.

 

I wonder how early you can get wings of serendipidy, I seem to remember them being a high ranking horse racing reward but I don't remember if all the races are available in Act 1 or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Edit: HA! IT TOTALLY DID! I got to the Puerto Valor casino, turned in all my gold on hand since I can’t spend it anyway, and next thing I went from about 900 tokens to 30,000 thanks to hitting the Jackpot during Metal Mode on a 1-token slot machine! Time to go to the 10-token slot machines!

Edit 2: And now on the 10-token slots I have 27 free spins plus it’s Metal Mode, so essentially it’s 37 Metal Mode spins with only the last 10 being ones I have to pay out of pocket for. Man, I LOVE the Puerto Valor casino so much, and clearly it loves me too!!!

The only time I had that good of luck was in the monster casino.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played a ton of casino last night. Turned 70 coins into 30,000 in about an hour at the Puerto Valor casino in the 10 coin slots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve left Gondolia and am now on the open seas thanks to the Salty Stallion! Man, it is so nice to here “Sea Breeze,” from Dragon Quest IV in its symphonic form as the sun rises in the ocean introduction cutscene. That was an awe-inspiring moment, and reminds me how DQ4 helped me get into the main series games. It helps that “Sea Breeze,” is one of my favorite sailing themes from the series, and it totally fits for sailing the world of DQ11. Makes me so happy to experience this all over again, you know?

 

The Jasper boss fight in Gondolia was as annoying as I remembered. He kept landing Fizzle on the twins, so it pretty much came down to MopTopMoS! and Sylvando to do the damage. Thankfully I’ve been doing all I can to make Mo a physical powerhouse: focusing on great swords, have him equipped with a +3 Ring of Strength and +3 Tough Guy Tattoo, using Cutting Edge every chance I could. Thankfully he went down quickly, but still, having Serena and Veronica Fizzled so much made for a bit of a tough battle when HP starting getting low.

I also had a funny glitch happen in Gondolia. When I was running from the soldiers I ended up running into one of the stalls (specifically the one where you can buy the Cat Suit) and I ended up getting stuck between a pillar and a wall! I could move and run, but couldn’t physically move from the spot! Luckily trying to use Zoom got me unstuck, and I was able to escape that weird little glitch.

Given that DQIV is my favorite DQ game, this was immensely satisfying for me to hear. I also love the symphonic version of Ramia's theme in DQ8. Nice to see the old tracks getting these revisits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of sailing, one thing I absolutely love about the sailing in this game is the...simplicity of it. While I love the more "involved" world map treks (IE: jumping, riding creatures, etc.) it's nice to have good old classic sailing. Nothing special. Just...sailing. In my opinion, there's nothing better than that first time you set sail in each Dragon Quest game. It feels as if the reigns are taken off and you're free to explore the world. 

The first time I ever set sail in this series (Dragon Quest II) it was such an exhilarating feeling. I can't wait to see what flying is like in this game. I hope it's easier to control than Ramia was in DQVIII. While I loved the Ramia experience, I had a hell of a time controlling it and never could get used to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

 In my opinion, there's nothing better than that first time you set sail in each Dragon Quest game. It feels as if the reigns are taken off and you're free to explore the world. 

Agreed. Kind of related I just got the ship in Ni no Kuni last night and the game immediately picked up. Just being able go other places other than in a straight line back and fourth to the same 3 towns is so freeing.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just managed to play some more of the game, and I grinded until the hero and Erik were levels 15 and 14 respectively before heading to the Kingsbarrow. Idk if I'm overleveled or decently leveled at this point, but this was mainly because I had little too much fun running over monsters with the horse. Once I get the chance again I think I'm going to grind some more in the Kingsbarrow and then possibly finish that section of the story in the same time span if I'm lucky, since tomorrow is the weekend for me ^_^ I've been playing mainly in 3D mode even though I started in 2D because I'm too lazy to switch back to 2D and I'm farther in the game for my 3D save file anyways.

Honestly my only gripe with the whole 2D/3D system is how you switch; I don't see why I need to start from a specific point in the game, which just makes it so I have to rewatch a cutscene that I already went through in the other version. It's really annoying at times, but at least I keep my levels from leveling up. Otherwise I like the switching, except for that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly haven't been in the mood to play video games lately. So I haven't been playing that much. I managed to get done with Dundrasil for the first time and headed to Puerto Valor. Of course, I had to spend some time in the casino.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I completed the Kai/Mermaid story mission last night and obtained the harp.

So...wow...

Dragon Quest Xi? Dragon Quest VII called and it wants its devastating onion-cutting sub-plots back! Seriously, this is a top contender with Zebbot and Eri. You guys managed to do it...

First Dundrasil and now this--two gut-punches back-to-back. Up until this point, this was a much lighter-hearted Dragon Quest. I wasn't prepared for the massive dark turn into DQVII-level of drama. It wasn't even gradual--just a giant gauntlet throwing down as soon as I hit Dundrasil.

For the record, I'm not opposed to this form of storytelling in Dragon Quest. God knows this series has had some sad storylines but this game is really delivering DQVII-era stories in terms of tragedy.

Spoiler

I actually felt something I don't normally feel while playing video games: guilt. I felt guilty over deciding to tell the mermaid the truth. She's just sitting there, looking all happy and smiling and I had to tell her that her lover was dead. Then she just...commits suicide? I understand her action but it's still a sad sight to behold. What's worse is the rather disturbingly nonchalant reactions from most of your party members after she does it. The worst is Erik. His first words about it are: "Didn't she say she left us something? Oh, by the way--it's sad but let's get over it and move on." and that's that. Was this perhaps badly translated? Everyone seems so cold in that scene--even Serena, the usually emotional one. I have to admit--I really didn't like the party dialogue here. I love this game but I WILL call this aspect out. It's rather piss-poor writing in this scene, to be honest. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Again, sorry to bash the writing for the party members in this section of the game but I didn't like it at all and hope it was just a bad translation. For God's sake, they had stronger reactions to the spoiled prince and other milder circumstances than this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dundrasil was tough. Michelle and Kai was worse.

It doesn't get any better later on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

It doesn't get any better later on.

Yeah no doubt.

I just got to the L'Academie de Notre Maitre les Medailles and Phnom Nohm (man I have to look those up up every time on how to spell them)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Dundrasil was tough. Michelle and Kai was worse.

It doesn't get any better later on.

I don't really mind that. I do find it how, though, how sudden the shift was. Up to this point, the game had been a rather lighthearted adventure and then WHAM--Dundrasil and the Mermaid story. It almost feels like a different team took over at a certain point and decided: "Let's darken things up now that we're venturing to sea".

Regardless, Dragon Quest does drama VERY well so I'm looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made it to the final dungeon last night.2D mode makes this game go by quickly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

Up until this point, this was a much lighter-hearted Dragon Quest. 

Hehe. Wait until you get to that part...and then that part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I've been taking Erik on a Boomerang route since I've had him. I always have a designated boomerang user in my party in most Dragon Quest games--it's simply become a habit of mine. I've noticed not many people seem to take his character down that route. I don't regret my decision, though...a least not currently. That tentacler boss fight was far easier than I'd expected it to be. I consistently had Erik use "Twomerang" and was amazed by the amount of damage inflicted to the boss and his arms.

I have Erik nearly trued up with the Boomerang route and am currently considering what my next branch route on the skill tree should be for him.

I'm also really liking Rab's "right as rain" ability.

10 minutes ago, Woodus said:

Yeah no doubt.

I just got to the L'Academie de Notre Maitre les Medailles and Phnom Nohm (man I have to look those up up every time on how to spell them)

Sometimes I forget that many of you already played/beat this game over two years ago, LOL! I'm sure you guys are all thinking: "This guy hasn't seen anything yet" and I believe you.

9 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I made it to the final dungeon last night.2D mode makes this game go by quickly!

Interesting. I'd imagine playing the 2D mode of DQXI and then following them up with the most updated versions of DQI-III should make for quite the complete Erdrick experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Hehe. Wait until you get to that part...and then that part.

Oh, I believe you. I've played DQVII so I know this series is NOT afraid to delve into depressing storylines. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

So, I've been taking Erik on a Boomerang route since I've had him. I always have a designated boomerang user in my party in most Dragon Quest games--it's simply become a habit of mine. I've noticed not many people seem to take his character down that route. I don't regret my decision, though...a least not currently. That tentacler boss fight was far easier than I'd expected it to be. I consistently had Erik use "Twomerang" and was amazed by the amount of damage inflicted to the boss and his arms.

Twomerang+critical claim+the ability that splits him into 3= about 600 damage 6 times on a single target. This makes end game extremely fun.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Twomerang+critical claim+the ability that splits him into 3= about 600 damage 6 times on a single target. This makes end game extremely fun.

That ability to split himself into three? Is that one of his natural spells he learns or do I need to go down a specific branch of the skill tree?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished all my casino fun and got over 100,000 tokens. Bought the Power Platinum Sword for the hero and some other gear for the party and have now reached the Zwaardrust region. I found using the black jack table actually helped me earn tokens faster than the slots, but that could be because I was getting really lucky and pushing my luck too much with Double or Nothing.

I will say that the casino in DQ11 is one of the few I actually enjoy spending a lot of time in. No particular reason, really. DQ7 and 8 are the only other games I can think of where I actually care about the casino!

 

One thing that’s bummed me out about my playthrough/my Draconian settings is that Erik has been stuck with the Poison Moth Knife since I won one off a Garuda in Hotto. God, I would kill to have a recipe book pop up with a new knife recipe. Erik is really falling behind in damage. I’m thinking he may need to switch off to swords.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

That ability to split himself into three? Is that one of his natural spells he learns or do I need to go down a specific branch of the skill tree?

Can't remember off the top of my head, sorry. I think it's down his thief skill tree.

Edit: It's called Divide and it's the a mystery panel in the Guile skill tree.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...