Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI S Progress

3 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
16 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:
I was kind of wondering how that would work. So...are there parts that automatically switch back to 3D if you're in 2D? That's a little annoying.

That's the only 1 I found so far. I was hoping it'd be a 2D race!

How did it go about? Like were you about to start and a big ol' textbox said you had to be in 3D mode? That could be jarring. Kind of makes me want to play in 3D mainly, if I'll keep getting switched back anyways.

54 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Yep. I'm actually now just considering doing 100% 2D instead of 95%.  I have zero interest in graphics & voices so this is awesome.  In a few years maybe I'll go back and do it in 3D again or help one of my kids through it (my oldest is slightly annoyed I'm doing all 2D, he's insisted I do 3D because I named the character after him last year and he wants to see his character as a person again, not flat). I was going to do the new content in 3D, but I looked the other day and it's hard changing back and forth in my brain (the horse race is ONLY in 3D so I had to race in 3D and it looked off haha).

I brought my Switch last Friday to work and knocked out 3.5 hours on Ni No Kuni sidequests!

It's weird hearing kid's perception of graphics nowadays, isn't it? Unlike us, they were raised on mostly 3D and these sprites are now considered "flat" to them. LOL!

I knew I was getting old (in gamer terms) when I saw a video of kids trying to play the original Super Mario Bros. and not having a clue as to how to jump/run/walk/etc.

As gamers, some of us are fossils. It's easy to forget that. :P

It's weird hearing kid's perception of graphics nowadays, isn't it? Unlike us, they were raised on mostly 3D and these sprites are now considered "flat" to them. LOL!
I knew I was getting old (in gamer terms) when I saw a video of kids trying to play the original Super Mario Bros. and not having a clue as to how to jump/run/walk/etc.
As gamers, some of us are fossils. It's easy to forget that. 
I'm younger than most people here in Dragon's Den. And I adore the graphical art style of 2D mode. I love how colourful, vibrant, and charming 2D mode looks. And I think stylised graphics age so much better than "realistic" graphics.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm younger than most people here in Dragon's Den. And I adore the graphical art style of 2D mode. I love how colourful, vibrant, and charming 2D mode looks. And I think stylised graphics age so much better than "realistic" graphics.
Agreed. I'll go for a hike in the mountains if I want scenic vistas. I think that's why I've always enjoyed Dragon Quest and many of the other video games I do, they look like a cartoon or a game. I get enough real life, I need gaming time to be a fun, silly break.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dakhil said:
14 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:
As gamers, some of us are fossils. It's easy to forget that. emoji14.png

You, my friend, are ahead of the curve. I'm glad you see and appreciate 2D graphics as such. They are timeless, really. Like practical movie effects, they don't age as badly as CGI.

There is a charm in 2D style and I hope 2D never dies.

How did it go about? Like were you about to start and a big ol' textbox said you had to be in 3D mode? That could be jarring. Kind of makes me want to play in 3D mainly, if I'll keep getting switched back anyways.
2D I said I was ready to race.

Screen goes black.

How to race screen appears & it's exactly the PS4 one in 3D and then the race in 3D. Once over, right back to 2D.

Seemless, doesn't tell you, just fades to the next screen like it would in 3D mode.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:
3 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

Agreed. I'll go for a hike in the mountains if I want scenic vistas. I think that's why I've always enjoyed Dragon Quest and many of the other video games I do, they look like a cartoon or a game. I get enough real life, I need gaming time to be a fun, silly break.

Exactly. I don't mind an occasional realistic-looking game but I much prefer the escapism of cartoonish graphics.

I think this might be one reason why I, as a major Mario fan, didn't care for Super Mario Odyssey much--they tried to make everything have this...pseudo-realistic look in a way that just didn't fit Mario, in my opinion.

Reminds me of Doom. I LOVE Doom 1, 2 and Final Doom but disliked Doom 3 and found Doom 2016 OK but not great. Give me old Doom over Call of Duty or modern doom any day.

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

2D I said I was ready to race.

Screen goes black.

How to race screen appears & it's exactly the PS4 one in 3D and then the race in 3D. Once over, right back to 2D.

Seemless, doesn't tell you, just fades to the next screen like it would in 3D mode.

That's disappointing.

So...I'm not a fan of switching between modes. Why do I have to pick a starting point? I was under the impression if you switch at a priest you would start in 2D mode right there. When switched in Downtown Heliodor I started in 2D mode in the church after you jump off the cliff. No big deal I suppose but when I got back to the priest I saved at before in Heliodor and switched back to 3d I ended up back at the church! I haven't done the update since I don't have wifi at work but I'm hoping I'm not doing something wrong. I think I'll need to keep separate 3d and 2d mode adventure logs. Still...choosing a starting point each time you switch could mean a bunch of time and stuff you have to redo to get back to where you were. I think I'm sticking with 3d...but I'm looking forward to the past worlds, I think that will be the only time I spend with 2d.

So...I'm not a fan of switching between modes. Why do I have to pick a starting point? I was under the impression if you switch at a priest you would start in 2D mode right there. When switched in Downtown Heliodor I started in 2D mode in the church after you jump off the cliff. No big deal I suppose but when I got back to the priest I saved at before in Heliodor and switched back to 3d I ended up back at the church! I haven't done the update since I don't have wifi at work but I'm hoping I'm not doing something wrong. I think I'll need to keep separate 3d and 2d mode adventure logs. Still...choosing a starting point each time you switch could mean a bunch of time and stuff you have to redo to get back to where you were. I think I'm sticking with 3d...but I'm looking forward to the past worlds, I think that will be the only time I spend with 2d.
I agree.

Unfortubately, switching between the PlayStation 4 and the Nintendo 3DS versions of Dragon Quest XI (in Japan) is just as bad, if not worse.

14 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

Ugh I was hoping I was just doing it wrong. Wellllllllllll as long as I can still access the past worlds while playing in 3D and it'll switch me over until I've done what I wanted in that area I'm fine. 3D mode it is!

Edit: Wait. I kept reading the article and there's a new recruitable character? :whoa:

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

23 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

In the 3DS version it was a seamless transition. I tried it at multiple places in that version and I never had to go back and pick a starting location or anything.

Frankly I’m annoyed they changed that in the Switch version.

12 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Ugh I was hoping I was just doing it wrong. Wellllllllllll as long as I can still access the past worlds while playing in 3D and it'll switch me over until I've done what I wanted in that area I'm fine. 3D mode it is!

Edit: Wait. I kept reading the article and there's a new recruitable character? :whoa:

If there is, no one better be that guy and spill the beans. I know Platty will joke about spoilers, but some of us do like the surprise of the unexpected.

Can we all agree not to spoil who the character is if it’s true?

1 hour ago, Dakhil said:

Aren’t you like 2 years younger than me? I’m 26.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

If there is, no one better be that guy and spill the beans. I know Platty will joke about spoilers, but some of us do like the surprise of the unexpected.

Can we all agree not to spoil who the character is if it’s true?

Yeah for real I hadn't heard anything about that and now it makes me worried that I'll have to play and beat the game quickly so I don't get it spoiled lol. 

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Best to just have one file for 3D and one for 2D. I found out the hard way that switching can cause you to LOSE progress even if you switch back...yet still retaining your level, which is odd. Thankfully, I didn't save and was able to reset/resume my file.

Switching between the two is proving to be a mess I'd rather not deal with so I will just play the game in 3D first and 2D second.

21 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Yeah for real I hadn't heard anything about that and now it makes me worried that I'll have to play and beat the game quickly so I don't get it spoiled lol. 

No kidding. I’ve barely been able to play the game, and I even took Friday off just to play it. That plan got shot out of the window when other stuff popped up. 😑

I have a terrible feeling it will take me much longer (real world time wise) to beat the game this time around than it took to beat the PS4 version. I’m not a speedy gamer either and try to do all I can, so...this could be the long haul.

19 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

No kidding. I’ve barely been able to play the game, and I even took Friday off just to play it. That plan got shot out of the window when other stuff popped up. 😑

I have a terrible feeling it will take me much longer (real world time wise) to beat the game this time around than it took to beat the PS4 version. I’m not a speedy gamer either and try to do all I can, so...this could be the long haul.

Well if I figure anything you can bet you'll be the first person I spoil it for! I kid, of course. I gotta finish Ni no Kuni and play DQ 3 on Switch before I get to XI.

Spoiler free from me!

New party member? Ooh I hope it's Mia! (plz don't spoil it though.)

2 minutes ago, SlimeVagrant said:

New party member? Ooh I hope it's *****! (plz don't spoil it though.)

As you name drop a spoilerish character! 🤣

I just had a funny moment in the game. I’m doing the no shopping restriction, and in Gondolia you have the dueling merchants who try and outsell the other with the cat suit item. Well, I decided to go back and forth for the heck of it, but to my surprise when I said yes the brother who offers it for 1,000 gold, said brother not only called me out for being on that Draconian restriction quest, but he ended up giving me the suit for free!

It pays to play with Draconian settings, kids. You can get some free, really good armor.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

As you name drop a spoilerish character! 🤣

It's just a name, it's not a spoiler by itself.  :lrsmile:

Just recruited the Arboria twins and discovered Tickington! Can't wait to see some of the new switch exclusive content!

Messed around in Downtown Heliodor last night but its hard to juggle 3 RPGs at a time. Gotta settle on one or two. Most likely Ni no Kuni and DQ3. Once I beat DQ3 I can move onto XI-S.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

Has anyone encountered Tockles in Act 2? I'm not super far into it, but I haven't found any new pastwords yet and I'm getting concerned.

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Messed around in Downtown Heliodor last night but its hard to juggle 3 RPGs at a time. Gotta settle on one or two. Most likely Ni no Kuni and DQ3. Once I beat DQ3 I can move onto XI-S.

I beat Ni no Kuni this morning!!!  I got to the White Witch last night and lost on the final form.  Long-ass battle, too tired.  Made sure I had 30+ minutes available this morning and finished her/it/they/whatever off!  Gotta write a review later this week, but now to split my time finishing Grandia & playing DQXIS.

57 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I beat Ni no Kuni this morning!!!  I got to the White Witch last night and lost on the final form.  Long-ass battle, too tired.  Made sure I had 30+ minutes available this morning and finished her/it/they/whatever off!  Gotta write a review later this week, but now to split my time finishing Grandia & playing DQXIS.

Hope you enjoyed it. I'm coming to the realization that I shouldn't replay some of my favorite games because I'm reminded of the flaws I forgot the first time I played them. The pacing of Ni no Kuni is terrible.

Hope you enjoyed it. I'm coming to the realization that I shouldn't replay some of my favorite games because I'm reminded of the flaws I forgot the first time I played them. The pacing of Ni no Kuni is terrible.
I had 2 issues. I really don't like the battle system and it's exacerbated by the controls. Left thumb moves the people and chooses commands. In an action game? Dumb. I needed to move and select actions, not 1 or the other. I just power leveled by the high EXP and cruised on physical attacks.

And yes, pacing. Great story at beginning and end. Middle was... decent but just your typical JRPG go to town, solve issues stuff. Instead of a story with a climax, I felt it was a big U shape. Granted, it didn't bug me as much because the sidequests I enjoyed.

Solid 4/5 for me. Glad I played.

11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

just your typical JRPG go to town, solve issues stuff.

Sounds like Dragon Quest to me.

Ni No Kuni 2 had a similar structure, with each town joining forces with Evan’s cause and eventually leading to all the nations joining forces for the final confrontation. The NNK series has given me a Dragon Quest styled vibe since seeing the first game, just with the Studio Ghibli artstyle and music by Joe Hisaishi.

In DQ11 S, I came across a battle where some party members fell asleep. I had Erik use the Cock-a-Doodle-Doo spell, and they actually recorded a line for him actually saying it! That was hilarious. Now we just need the chicken hat from Metal Gear Solid 5 so Erik can wear it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit