Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI S Progress

Is anyone else having difficulty encountering a Spitzfire in 2D mode?

I’m so disappointed Sylvando’s theme wasn’t in symphonic form during the circus cutscene in Gallopolis. So disappointing. 😭

That aside, I’m getting ready for the Sand National race. Doing the usual rounds of talking to NPCs and remembering I can’t buy stuff due to my Draconian settings. I wonder how I’ll be able to get Serena’s dancer outfit? It does give her quite a bit of a defense boost for a long while.

I’m liking how they did the returning to previous DQ worlds in Tickington. I especially like the use of the original NES/Famicom music in the DQ1 and 2 worlds, which are the only ones I’ve been able to visit thus far into the game.

If anyone goes to the racetrack in Gallopolis you can purchase a set of golden horse reigns for 10,000 gold. It will auto steer your horse in the races. Sadly I can’t buy it cause Draconian, but it’s a new addition if you ever had trouble with the races in the PS4/Steam version or have trouble with be races in general.

I’m so disappointed Sylvando’s theme wasn’t in symphonic form during the circus cutscene in Gallopolis. So disappointing.
That aside, I’m getting ready for the Sand National race. Doing the usual rounds of talking to NPCs and remembering I can’t buy stuff due to my Draconian settings. I wonder how I’ll be able to get Serena’s dancer outfit? It does give her quite a bit of a defense boost for a long while.
I’m liking how they did the returning to previous DQ worlds in Tickington. I especially like the use of the original NES/Famicom music in the DQ1 and 2 worlds, which are the only ones I’ve been able to visit thus far into the game.
If anyone goes to the racetrack in Gallopolis you can purchase a set of golden horse reigns for 10,000 gold. It will auto steer your horse in the races. Sadly I can’t buy it cause Draconian, but it’s a new addition if you ever had trouble with the races in the PS4/Steam version or have trouble with be races in general.
How exactly do you get the passwords for the previous worlds? I've only been to DQ1

5 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

How exactly do you get the passwords for the previous worlds? I've only been to DQ1

Someone wasn’t paying attention to the dialogue in Tickington by the sounds of it when it comes to getting Pastwords. Tsk tsk tsk...

The game tells you you will meet other Tockles as you explore. You find one in the Gallopolis region who will give you a Pastword for the Alter of the Legendary Line. You’ll know him when you see him, as he’s pretty hard to miss.

Speaking of the past worlds, it’s a nice touch each Alter/book is named after the previous 10 main series games. First one is Alter of Origins, second is Alter of the Legendary Line, third is Alter of Salvation, fourth is Alter of the Chosen, and so on. The one for DQ10 is interesting as it’s named Alter of the Undeciphered. Should’ve called it Alter of the Game That Won’t Be Appearing in the West.

Seriously, how awkward is that that one main line game was skipped over? I know it’s an MMO, but man. Calling it “the Undeciphered,” kind of rubs it in we’ll likely never see DQ10 translated into English.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Someone wasn’t paying attention to the dialogue in Tickington by the sounds of it when it comes to getting Pastwords. Tsk tsk tsk...
The game tells you you will meet other Tockles as you explore. You find one in the Gallopolis region who will give you a Pastword for the Alter of the Legendary Line. You’ll know him when you see him, as he’s pretty hard to miss.
Speaking of the past worlds, it’s a nice touch each Alter/book is named after the previous 10 main series games. First one is Alter of Origins, second is Alter of the Legendary Line, third is Alter of Salvation, fourth is Alter of the Chosen, and so on. The one for DQ10 is interesting as it’s named Alter of the Undeciphered. Should’ve called it Alter of the Game That Won’t Be Appearing in the West.
Ah my bad. I of course talked to everybody but my toddler was having a meltdown at the time so I was only half paying attention.

6 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Ah my bad. I of course talked to everybody but my toddler was having a meltdown at the time so I was only half paying attention.

No worries, just giving you a hard time. 😜

Don’t worry Aust, you won’t miss the Tockles who give the Pastwords out. If you saw the red colored Tockle in Tickington, you’ll know what to keep an eye out for as you explore. I will say that if you haven’t gone to the campsite in the southwest of the Gallopolis region, be sure to pay it a visit...

• Like 1

I got passed Gallopolis and I am now looking for the water west of Gondolia.

People were right on saying that the monster buff being hard around level 15 for Draconic Quest. That Gallopolis boss just kept getting crits on me. Having a much easier time since I got passed that. I really want to do a crafted only run, so I think for my 2D run I will go with harder monsters and crafted items only.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Like 1

Got wrapped up in Ni No Kuni so much I only got 30 minutes of DQXI in last night. Died at the top of the Tor. 1st round, dead. And I don't have harder monsters on. Did it again and holy encounter rate! Interesting in 2D already.

No worries, just giving you a hard time.
Don’t worry Aust, you won’t miss the Tockles who give the Pastwords out. If you saw the red colored Tockle in Tickington, you’ll know what to keep an eye out for as you explore. I will say that if you haven’t gone to the campsite in the southwest of the Gallopolis region, be sure to pay it a visit...
Picked up the Gallopolis one last night. Will be heading to Gondolia today.

Loving this game so far.

Started the game in 2D mode today. I only played through the cobblestone Tor before I changed it back to 3D. Just felt like I was missing out on too much like voice acting, (even in the prerendered cutscenes there's no voices when you play in 2D for some reason) outfits, and preemptive strikes.  Had to redo the Tor segment but I kept all my items and xp so I didn't mind. Apparently the free dlc with the trodain outfit also comes with an option to replace the field music with VIII's. I wonder if there are options for other musics to unlock. It's gonna be weird  not starting with wings of serendipity lke I did on the PC version, was able to farm so many prayer rings and gold ore with that.

Opted for Strong Monsters and Townsfolk Tripe for my Draconian quests. Was considering no shopping, but decided not to for fear of missing out on new items like someone mentioned a gold horse bridle.

57 minutes ago, SlimeVagrant said:

Just felt like I was missing out on too much like voice acting

Well, it was 2D Mode. It invokes the era of no voices in RPGs. Back in our day we didn’t have no fancy voice actin’! We made up voices in our head and we liked it that way, carnsarnit!

Ahem...sorry, not sure what happened there. I actually like that we can turn voices off entirely in 3D mode and it replaces it with the classic DQ speech sound effects for when characters talk. I was really surprised by that in the demo and honestly I’m thinking of playing 3D mode at some point without the voices since the PS4 version didn’t offer that.

Edit: Ok, what is with the 3D to 2D mode (and vice versa) switching? Why the hell are you forced to go back to a specific point of the game instead of it being a seamless transition from one to the other? The 3DS version let you go back and forth no problem, so why on earth did they change that in the Switch version?

BUNCH OF BULL #$*!, BY COR BLIMEY! Seriously though, that’s a dumb decision.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 4

Only managed to get done with Gondolia. Didn't have that much time to play today. Hoping that I will have all day tomorrow to just do nothing.

I've been going strong. Almost 7 hours in and just talked to Sylvando the first time.

I'm doing 100% 2D run. It doesn't have voice acting? Haha, I hadn't even noticed! I guess I play on mute so much that aspect of it didn't even occur to me. Oh yeah, can't sneak up on monsters I don't see.

Oh well, other than the encounter rate making things a bit tough, there's not much not to absolutely love about this game. In a few years I'm sure I'll be able to bring myself to replay DQXI S in 3D, but I have (not a phobia, but disdain would be closer to the feeling) a dislike of experiencing things twice. I don't read books, play games, watch movies or TV shows more than once. I will with DQ, because it's DQ, but had this not had a 2D mode, I'd have skipped it.

Glad I didn't. 7 hours of 2D has been pretty damn amazing!

Sylvando joins the party! Fabulous, darlings! 😘

The Slayer boss was much better to deal with on this playthrough...except that he killed Serena before the fight ended. That was a bust, but at least it didn’t take 5 attempts like on the PS4 version.

I’ve been focusing on different weapons with this playthrough. Sylvando will be focusing on regular swords, but first things first: he needs to get Hustle Dance. That is one of his most useful abilities throughout the entire game.

Sylvando joins the party! Fabulous, darlings!
The Slayer boss was much better to deal with on this playthrough...except that he killed Serena before the fight ended. That was a bust, but at least it didn’t take 5 attempts like on the PS4 version.
I’ve been focusing on different weapons with this playthrough. Sylvando will be focusing on regular swords, but first things first: he needs to get Hustle Dance. That is one of his most useful abilities throughout the entire game.
Just there too. Hey, I can ride horses again with that item!

Love how the rideable monsters are in 2D.

I didn't get much time to play Dragon Quest XI S on the weekend due to school, with an exception of a few hours last Friday.

So basically, I went to Tickington and ventured into Galenholm. Tickington reminds me of towns in Dragon Quest IX since the items you get from the barrels in Tickington are random. After I've finished with the Galenholm sequence, which I thought was pretty cool, I've saved with a nearby priest and switched to 2D mode to the plot point where I've got Veronica and Serena as my party members. I'm baffled that the switching between 2D and 3D mode was not one-to-one. But apparently, switching between 2D and 3D mode in Dragon Quest XI S is not bad as switching between the PlayStation 4 and the Nintendo 3DS versions of Dragon Quest XI (in Japan).

One of the neat things I've noticed after I got out of Tickington is that all the enemies that are exclusive to 2D mode are represented as hand drawn art (which I assume was drawn by Akira Toriyama) shown here.

2019092818532200-E58C03FD2FF562F462515FB73597EDA6.thumb.jpg.54906353d544380d0a42d9c45e1265f2.jpg

And the difficulty didn't seem too bad when I was in the Hotto Steppe. But when I arrived at the Gallopolis Region, it wasn't too long before I got clobbered by enemies (everyone in my party, including myself, are at level 12 and I enabled the "All Enemies Are Super Strong" and "Party Wiped Out if Protagonist Perishes" Draconian Quests). I was lucky to get a rareified monster rather quickly when playing in 2D mode, as shown here.

2019093020183800-E58C03FD2FF562F462515FB73597EDA6.thumb.jpg.0afb5babf88aa060a695db41663136fb.jpg

But alas, I was clobbered rather quickly. I was wondering if I should disable the "All Enemies Are Super Strong" Draconian Quest since 2D mode is definitely harder than 3D mode. But at the same time, I think the "All Enemies Are Super Strong" Draconian Quest makes the difficulty in 3D mode harder in a good way. Decisions decisions.

At first, I thought once I was able to, I would want to play exclusively in 2D mode and only switching to 3D mode when there are new cutscenes. But I'm not so sure anymore since I think 3D mode still looks rather nice when playing in handheld mode (I'm playing on my launch Nintendo Switch). And I want to all the scenes with Japanese voice acting.

And yes. My real name happens to be the same as Woodus' real name. Happy coincidence?

Been feeling down recently and have been sleeping too much to play the game, but I'm at downtown Heliodor and I just figured out there's more than 2 ways to get past the guard! The cut-scene where you find Ruby shows someone bribing him, then he gets infatuated with Roxy the Dancer and then scared by a dog. I knew bribing him was an option because it comes up if you talk to him, and I'm pretty sure I used the dog to scare him away on my first playthrough, so I decided to see if there was a third way. Sure enough, there was. You can find Roxy asleep at Ruby's Inn so if you wait until night when she's dancing she mentions a small boy she's fond of that likes to play hide and seek. If you find the boy he tells you that ruby has the same handwriting as Roxy and you can get Ruby to forge a love letter to the guard to get him to leave his post. I love little things like that, they didn't have to give you multiple ways to solve this problem, but they did and I appreciate being rewarded for being observant.

Edited by SlimeVagrant
  • Like 1

Going through the Manglegrove now and just now realizing that the super strong monsters mode is no joke! If I hadn't of stocked out both characters on herbs there's no way I'd have beat tricky devil first try. I can barely keep up in even the most basic of fights. Looks like I'm going to need to grind a TON if I'm going to get anywhere 😕

Edit: I've also noticed a lack of the Rectification (respec) option at churches and when I die I'm not resurrected at a church and instead have to load an autosave. Is this a result of having Draconian challenges on? I don't remember that being part of the deal, or maybe it's just how the switch version works, I didn't touch the Draconian Quests in the PC version. Also in the PC version I was under the impression that you could only use the fun sized forge from camp, but I've found that you can use it anywhere right out of your inventory, is that a new feature or did I just miss it last time?

Edited by SlimeVagrant

I made a lot of progress over the weekend and am currently about to search for Kai in the battle against the Tentacalure.

This game...wow...

I'm having an absolute blast with it. Dragon Quest has never looked more...ALIVE than it does here.  The world is massive. The environments are lush and colorful. Rab is awesome. Rab seems to be a jack of all trades, really.

Spoiler

The Dundrasil storyline makes Trodain look like child's play. Seriously, there's no comparison--Dundrasil is FAAAARRR more tragic in every sense of the word.

What I loved about Dundrasil was how much it looked like I'd always imagined Domdora looking like in 3D. The ruins were perfect.

This might be the most dramatic and theatrical storyline since VIII--especially with the Hendrick pursuit subplot.

I couldn't help but draw Anastasia parallels to the Luminary/Jade/Dundrasil backstory. Very tragic.

Sylvando is something else. I love him. Aside from being funny, he's also a formidable fighter.

I especially loved the Charmles-lite storyline but with the added twist of the cowardly prince redeeming himself with the help of Sylvando.

As for Rab...when he forgave the fighter and actually helped him, I really loved Rab and thought: "This guy is quite a benevolent old man".

One thing I really want to commend the creators for is the map system. They did an OUTSTANDING job of making the map treks as exciting as the town/dungeon missions. Riding bees, slimes, horses, robots, etc...amazing fun. This game, more than any other Dragon Quest, really encourages map exploration.

All in all, this game is great--one of my favorites of the series next to III, IV and V.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SlimeVagrant said:

You can find Roxy asleep at Ruby's Inn so if you wait until night when she's dancing she mentions a small boy she's fond of that likes to play hide and seek. If you find the boy he tells you that ruby has the same handwriting as Roxy and you can get Ruby to forge a love letter to the guard to get him to leave his post. I love little things like that, they didn't have to give you multiple ways to solve this problem, but they did and I appreciate being rewarded for being observant.

Yeah I just figured this out too, very cool. :thumbsup: Also cool, when you get the boat you can land anywhere (like an an old school game) not limited to ports. So after escaping to Hotto and getting the ship I could go back to Heliodor and complete the quest for the person at the church north of the manglegrove and get that church, Heliodor and Cobblestone zoom points on my list.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Made sure to bring my Switch to work so I can play on my lunch since my copy was waiting for me here. I didn't get too far into the demo cause I wanted to be in 2D mode as much as possible.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:01 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

you won’t miss the Tockles who give the Pastwords out. If you saw the red colored Tockle in Tickington, you’ll know what to keep an eye out for as you explore. I will say that if you haven’t gone to the campsite in the southwest of the Gallopolis region, be sure to pay it a visit...

Can you find them in both 3D and 2D mode? I know you can only go to past world in 2D mode.

2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Made sure to bring my Switch to work so I can play on my lunch since my copy was waiting for me here. I didn't get too far into the demo cause I wanted to be in 2D mode as much as possible.

Yep. I'm actually now just considering doing 100% 2D instead of 95%.  I have zero interest in graphics & voices so this is awesome.  In a few years maybe I'll go back and do it in 3D again or help one of my kids through it (my oldest is slightly annoyed I'm doing all 2D, he's insisted I do 3D because I named the character after him last year and he wants to see his character as a person again, not flat). I was going to do the new content in 3D, but I looked the other day and it's hard changing back and forth in my brain (the horse race is ONLY in 3D so I had to race in 3D and it looked off haha).

I brought my Switch last Friday to work and knocked out 3.5 hours on Ni No Kuni sidequests!

19 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

(the horse race is ONLY in 3D so I had to race in 3D and it looked off haha).

I was kind of wondering how that would work. So...are there parts that automatically switch back to 3D if you're in 2D? That's a little annoying.

I was kind of wondering how that would work. So...are there parts that automatically switch back to 3D if you're in 2D? That's a little annoying.
That's the only 1 I found so far. I was hoping it'd be a 2D race!