Jump to content
Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI S Progress

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Dakhil said:

So I've managed to beat Mordegon, Lord of Shadows a few times. But my entire party died when Mordragon's life is about halfway depleted. Mordragon & Mordragon's Tail sure loves to spam Disruptive Wave and desperate attacks. It's annoying that if I die fighting Mordragon & Mordragon's Tail, I have to start again from the very beginning with Mordegon, Lord of Shadows. At least everyone's HP and MP are restored when I fight Mordragon & Mordragon's Tail. Keep in mind I'm playing with the Reduced Experience from Easy Fights, All Enemies are Super Strong, Shypox, Super Shypox, and Townsfolk Talk Tripe Draconian Quests turned on.

I still need to try a draconian playthrough. But I played the PS4 and Switch playthroughs back-to-back, so It'll be a break after this run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does one have access to all quests after defeating the act 3 boss? I seem to be nearing the end of the story but there are still a few quests I don't have access to. These are listed well before the Tickington quests start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Does one have access to all quests after defeating the act 3 boss? I seem to be nearing the end of the story but there are still a few quests I don't have access to. These are listed well before the Tickington quests start.
Yes. Nothing is missable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
26 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:
Does one have access to all quests after defeating the act 3 boss? I seem to be nearing the end of the story but there are still a few quests I don't have access to. These are listed well before the Tickington quests start.

Yes. Nothing is missable.

Sweet. Thanks! In the coming days, I'll finish up the few quests I do have underway, and hopefully The Wheel of Harma. Then I'll do Trial Isle, and then the boss. After that I'll have ~3 other quests to do (assuming post-boss there aren't any more added), and finishing my item/equipment/monster lists. Then I can do it all again in 3D. I'll probably do a Draconian Quest for 3D mode, but I don't think I'll turn all the settings on. I did that in the demo and couldn't even make it to Heliodor without wiping out (I maxed out my level for the enemies in the area and they still slaughtered me mercilessly again and again.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AustNerevar said:
14 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:
Does one have access to all quests after defeating the act 3 boss? I seem to be nearing the end of the story but there are still a few quests I don't have access to. These are listed well before the Tickington quests start.

Yes. Nothing is missable.

I’m not so sure about that in this version. I’m finished with the whole game and can’t find the broadsword or the ice axe. They are supposed to be sold by merchants in the field, but all the field merchants are gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically nothing should be missable anyway since you can time travel by switching between 2D and 3D modes - still, I'm trying not to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on topic with a progress update: I've made my way into the Eerie Valley in the first Trial. Found the item in the Cruel Crypt for that last quest - BUT IT'S NOT WHERE THE GAME SAYS IT IS. Supposedly it's near a statue of Erdwin, but it's just sitting in a chest in a tiny room off the beaten path. I wonder if there's a statue there in 3D mode? If that's the case, I'll be even more disappointed that we never got the 3DS version of the game because that would mean they didn't actually bother to comb through the differences between 2D and 3D mode when localizing the game. I've definitely found some other things in 2D mode that didn't translate well (from 3D to 2D) - but those had to do with names of major locations so I could kind of understand that they didn't change between modes. Like Gondolia doesn't actually have gondolas in 2D (just rafts) and Octogonia isn't, well, an octogon in 2D - neither the icon on the world map nor the town layout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

More sidequests.

Very insightful explanation on what you’re up too in the game. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Very insightful explanation on what you’re up too in the game. 🤣

Yep, the more detail the better, I always say!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Yep, the more detail the better, I always say!

Agreed. That second word alone explained so much. If only you could see the picture interpretation in my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fredrick just hit Lv. 99. Just been grinding today while I'm at work. I also did the Third Trial on the Wheel of Harma.

Last night I did the First Trial on Trial Isle.

 

Fredrick doesn't have enough skill points to fill his Character Builder?

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After so many tries, and on my first day of my Spring 2020 semester, I've finally defeated Mordegon, Lord of Shadows & Mordragon and Mordragon's Tail with the Reduced Experience from Easy Fights, All Enemies are Super Strong, Shypox, Super Shypox, and Townsfolk Talk Tripe Draconian Quests still turned on. And therefore, I've finally finished Act II!

1274257993_MordragonandMordragonsTailfinallydefeated!.thumb.jpg.49ed270e01f12114133bc8b36e284590.jpg

I can't believe that I've managed to get this far with all of the mentioned Draconian Quests turned on. And I have to admit it was very challenging for me (considering that I view myself a Dragon Quest noob in comparison to everyone else here). But I'm glad I've stuck with the Draconian Quests throughout my Dragon Quest XI S journey. And man did it feel satisfying in the end to do so.

1016060553_CompletedActIIwiththeseDraconianQuests.thumb.jpg.4612ac25b89ce919e4df9c6112b96009.jpg

I imagine I'm going to continue to rage quit whilst playing Act III with the mentioned Draconian Quests turned on. But I imagine I'm going to have fun whilst rage quitting.

Onward to Act III!

20669004_ActIIdonenowitstimeforActIII.thumb.jpg.9fa0c14710f4c9e058e5a7839816ed8c.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dakhil said:

After so many tries, and on my first day of my Spring 2020 semester, I've finally defeated Mordegon, Lord of Shadows & Mordragon and Mordragon's Tail with the Reduced Experience from Easy Fights, All Enemies are Super Strong, Shypox, Super Shypox, and Townsfolk Talk Tripe Draconian Quests still turned on. And therefore, I've finally finished Act II!

1274257993_MordragonandMordragonsTailfinallydefeated!.thumb.jpg.49ed270e01f12114133bc8b36e284590.jpg

I can't believe that I've managed to get this far with all of the mentioned Draconian Quests turned on. And I have to admit it was very challenging for me (considering that I view myself a Dragon Quest noob in comparison to everyone else here). But I'm glad I've stuck with the Draconian Quests throughout my Dragon Quest XI S journey. And man did it feel satisfying in the end to do so.

1016060553_CompletedActIIwiththeseDraconianQuests.thumb.jpg.4612ac25b89ce919e4df9c6112b96009.jpg

I imagine I'm going to continue to rage quit whilst playing Act III with the mentioned Draconian Quests turned on. But I imagine I'm going to have fun whilst rage quitting.

Onward to Act III!

20669004_ActIIdonenowitstimeforActIII.thumb.jpg.9fa0c14710f4c9e058e5a7839816ed8c.jpg

 

Kudos for wearing the DQ VIII gear. 

 

That's what I have been wearing as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only been playing in 2D mode on Switch, so I can't set a permanent costume. That said I actually prefer XI's default outfit over the Eight costume. Probably would wear the Dundrasil armour the whole game if I could.

 

I do set the field music to DQ8 when Act 3 starts. Adventure is the weakest of all the DQ world map themes, and it gets old after a while. Wish I could set it back to The Hero Goes Forth with Determination.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Kudos for wearing the DQ VIII gear. 

That's what I have been wearing as well. 

Personally I think VIII’s hero has the worst outfit. His yellow jacket...thing he wears just reminds me too much of April O’Neil from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



I've only been playing in 2D mode on Switch, so I can't set a permanent costume. That said I actually prefer XI's default outfit over the Eight costume. Probably would wear the Dundrasil armour the whole game if I could.
 


Ummm, yes to ALL of that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I've only been playing in 2D mode on Switch, so I can't set a permanent costume. That said I actually prefer XI's default outfit over the Eight costume. Probably would wear the Dundrasil armour the whole game if I could.

It is the hair that does it. The outfit looks fine otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Personally I think VIII’s hero has the worst outfit. His yellow jacket...thing he wears just reminds me too much of April O’Neil from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

 

11 hours ago, Plattym3 said:


 

 


Ummm, yes to ALL of that!

 

Hmm....Must be the nostalgia. 

 

Or a lack of fashion sense on my part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

 

Hmm....Must be the nostalgia. 

 

Or a lack of fashion sense on my part. 

As long as you don’t wear a fanny pack I’m sure you’re fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

As long as you don’t wear a fanny pack I’m sure you’re fine.

Um...

 

***Slowly takes Fanny Pack off***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Um...

 

***Slowly takes Fanny Pack off***

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I’ve finished Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, I’ve gotten back to DQ11 S. I don’t remember the last time I played the game, but it’s good to be back.

As of now I’m in Act 2 and have joined up with Rab again and headed off to Phnom Nonh. Just ran into Sylvando again and made it to town...and I was dying laughing at the changes to the parade. The hero dancing along is funny enough. But Hendrik AND Rab wearing Dragon Quest III Jester outfits was hysterical! It was nice to finally hear Sylvando’s theme in symphonic form as well, and I was wondering if it was ever going to pop up in game. Now to see what’s going on in Phnom Nonh!

 

 

Also, someone PLEASE tell me you can permanently get the Jester outfits for either Rab or Hendrik. PLEASE TELL ME YOU CAN. I will so keep Hendrik in that damn outfit for the entire game just because it’s so funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Also, someone PLEASE tell me you can permanently get the Jester outfits for either Rab or Hendrik. PLEASE TELL ME YOU CAN. I will so keep Hendrik in that damn outfit for the entire game just because it’s so funny.

Unfortunately you can't. However, in Act 3, you are able to access the parade again and then Hendrik and Rab will appear in those outfits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hendrik of Heliodor said:

Unfortunately you can't.


Damn it, that really sucks. It was so funny doing random battles with the parade following me and seeing the two of them fight in those outfits. What a missed opportunity to not have them be permanently obtainable gear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...