Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI S Progress

Took a good week off to play other games. Decided to get into 2D again and managed to complete it.

I was really hoping Battlefield would have been much better. The 2D version didn't do much better then 3D. Still making it the worst dungeon in the game for me. But at least the Fortress of Fear is really great looking. At least they actually animate the big bosses in 2D. Really nice touch.

I picked off from my full draconic and managed to complete Kingsbarrow. The grind was a lot more difficult then the actual boss fight. I feel like that is going to be a big trend.

Yesterday I picked up 8th and killed a certain Spectral Sentinel. Haven't really played today though.

I'm up to Erik's story now. It's pretty cool to see new content but I'm ready to get back to the Hero's world tour. I'm not ready to go back to Arboria though...

On 10/29/2019 at 12:28 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Man, I am so freaking close to finishing Act 1 now. I had to stop at the first campsite in the First Forest. I just want to get to Act 2 now so I can see the new story content! I need to stop getting distracted with collecting materials and items on the overworld areas. It’s no wonder I still haven’t finished the likes of DQ Builders 1!

Anyway, here’s the Sniflheim glitch I mentioned earlier. I was talking to the little girl who throws snowballs and apparently I was standing too close to her because then this happened to the hero:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was my reaction when MopTopMoS! suddenly started floating in midair during the conversation...

spacer.png

I actually had this very same glitch happen to me on the PS4. Kinda surprised they didn't fix it.

27 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I actually had this very same glitch happen to me on the PS4. Kinda surprised they didn't fix it.

The might of Flying Hades Condor, Kicking Brollygagger cannot he stopped no matter the version! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

• Like 1

I’ve reached Angri-La. I decided to have the 8th character focus on Axes and Shields like my first playthrough. I meant to have everyone use a new main weapon, but honestly having him use Greatswords would be redundant since MopTopMoS! is using that weapon, and Erik and Sylvando are already using regular swords. Besides, Axes are just great, and the 8th character’s shield skill set is SUPER good. If I still had the “protagonist dies,  instant game over,” setting enabled, the 8th character’s shield abilities would be all too necessary for safety reasons.

Anyway, I found one of the new Mount monsters in the Costa Valor in Act 2...and I was TOTALLY not expecting what it was! I was dying laughing! All I’ll say is that once you get to Costa Valor in Act 2, go ahead and head on over to Puerto Valor and look at the enemies around there. The new monster Mount and how the hero rides said Mount is hysterical.

• Like 1

Yay, Rab has rejoined the party! I’m pissed I had to re-do the battle against him AGAIN in order to master Quadraslash (same thing happened in the PS4 version) but man, that cutscene where the hero and Rab combine the ultimate techniques of Angri-La was so damn good with the symphonic version of “Brave Fight,” aka Murdaw’s battle theme from DQ6 start playing. That made the scene even more awesome.

Also, I love Rab’s new outfit/armor for reaching the summit of Mount Pang Lai. I was surprised there was a chest up there, and was happy to see it was a special new outfit for Rab! It boosting his critical hit rate is a good sign it’s meant to be combined with his Claw skill set, as Rab can get a pretty good crit and dodge rate with Claws equipped. Truth be told I do miss him using Claws despite his strength being OK, but it helped make him a versatile character. Maybe I’ll start investing points into claws every now and then after I get a few more staff skill upgrades.

One more thing: the cutscene with the 8th character at the top of the mountain is still hilarious. Definitely one of my favorite comedic moments of the series.

So, I resumed my 2D file and am currently in Gondolia. Honestly, I'm debating at this point whether or not to just finish the game off in 2D mode instead of 3D. While I do love this game's 3D mode (in different ways from 2D mode), I find 2D mode so much more appealing. I guess I'm just too damn old school for my own good or perhaps I just see Dragon Quest more as a 2D top down series than anything else--I don't know. It's difficult to explain.

What I love about 2D mode is how damn fast the game is. While I appreciate wandering around long stretches of land in 3D (again, I appreciate this style in different ways--not more or less--just differently), I much prefer the smooth and quick 2D style. Honestly, I feel more like I'm playing the Erdrick saga when I play it in 2D. I mean--this IS a part of the Erdrick series (no longer a trilogy--who would have thought?) so I prefer playing it this way. Now that DQ1-3 all share the same DQVI SFC engine (save for the sprites, of course), it now feels more like a four-part Erdrick series in an almost seamless fashion now. I love that.

So, I haven't made my mind up yet but I'm eventually going to wind up catching up with the same point of the story that I left off in 3D mode (I cannot BELIEVE I'm already in Gondolia in 2D mode! 2D mode makes this game feel a bit short, I've noticed) and, at that point, I have to make a decision whether or not to continue on from that point at 2D or switch over to 3D. 3D has the advantage of showing more emotion in the characters.

For those who've beaten this game, will I be missing anything huge if I decide to forego 3D mode and just beat the entire game in 2D? It seems that the major story sections are still retained in 3D cut scenes, so...will I miss anything substantial if I stay in 2D mode? I mean--I plan on beating both modes no matter what but 2D is the more appealing (and convenient) option for me at the moment. I was thinking of just beating the entire game in 2D mode and then finishing my 3D file at a later date. Would I be missing the impact of anything huge or will it still translate well enough in 2D? I'm torn here.

5 hours ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

So, I resumed my 2D file and am currently in Gondolia. Honestly, I'm debating at this point whether or not to just finish the game off in 2D mode instead of 3D. While I do love this game's 3D mode (in different ways from 2D mode), I find 2D mode so much more appealing. I guess I'm just too damn old school for my own good or perhaps I just see Dragon Quest more as a 2D top down series than anything else--I don't know. It's difficult to explain.

What I love about 2D mode is how damn fast the game is. While I appreciate wandering around long stretches of land in 3D (again, I appreciate this style in different ways--not more or less--just differently), I much prefer the smooth and quick 2D style. Honestly, I feel more like I'm playing the Erdrick saga when I play it in 2D. I mean--this IS a part of the Erdrick series (no longer a trilogy--who would have thought?) so I prefer playing it this way. Now that DQ1-3 all share the same DQVI SFC engine (save for the sprites, of course), it now feels more like a four-part Erdrick series in an almost seamless fashion now. I love that.

So, I haven't made my mind up yet but I'm eventually going to wind up catching up with the same point of the story that I left off in 3D mode (I cannot BELIEVE I'm already in Gondolia in 2D mode! 2D mode makes this game feel a bit short, I've noticed) and, at that point, I have to make a decision whether or not to continue on from that point at 2D or switch over to 3D. 3D has the advantage of showing more emotion in the characters.

For those who've beaten this game, will I be missing anything huge if I decide to forego 3D mode and just beat the entire game in 2D? It seems that the major story sections are still retained in 3D cut scenes, so...will I miss anything substantial if I stay in 2D mode? I mean--I plan on beating both modes no matter what but 2D is the more appealing (and convenient) option for me at the moment. I was thinking of just beating the entire game in 2D mode and then finishing my 3D file at a later date. Would I be missing the impact of anything huge or will it still translate well enough in 2D? I'm torn here.

Unfortunately I've only beaten it in 3D on the PS4 version so I don't have a good platform for comparison. Next playthrough (3rd) will be in 2D. That will probably be a year or more from now so ill get back to you. 

I've done Erik and Rab's stories tonight and they've been my favorite. Rab's made me happy for him and then the gut punch came when he realized he had to leave. I genuinely haven't laughed at a video game as hard as I have when he sneezed at the baby naming...that was hilarious. I'm with @YangustheLegendaryBandit I want to see what happens if you name the Hero...that.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1

So some major stuff went down and I'm treated to what's apparently some new content for DQXI. Pre-Act 2 new content spoilers:

Spoiler

Syvando's tale is first, and it has the unenviable job of following such a major plot revelation. His story is somewhat slight given the weight of the events that just happened, but it does a good job in establishing a gloomier world and a motive that's basically the foundation of Sylvando's character. Getting a large group with unique abilities and cycling between them is kind of a fun idea, but the chapter doesn't involve much fighting so it's a bit overly-elaborate. Even so, it's probably better than it wasn't even longer because it already drags just a bit due to all the revisiting of past areas. Cheering up the cow is a fun idea.

Next we move onto Jade. Unlike Sylvando's, this story is locked to essentially a single location, and we get another glimpse into how things have gotten worse since the fall of Yggdrasil. While the Octagonia stuff is enjoyable, this is probably the weaker of the new stories due to the fact that we don't really get any new info or characterization on Jade, outside of learning that she's traveling the world, trying to help people (which is nice, but something that's established right at the beginning of the chapter). Gameplay-wise, it's also weird because the Hare-Raising Suit essentially makes you invincible, which I didn't really get. Why even have combat then? It also ends on a "to be continued" so it feels less like its own revelatory story and more like a semi-unnecessary prelude to her tale later on. I did enjoy seeing the Octagonian combatants again, though, and Boodica was a fun new character.

Erik has a mysterious story where he awakens in an unknown jail with a Healslime that seems a bit too knowledgable about Erik. There are definitely strong nods to DQIV here, from the choice of music to the concept of a physical fighter joining forces with a Healslime to get through a cavern. The final scene is pretty awesome from a choreography standpoint, and there's a bit of an emotional moment as well with the memories. We don't really learn much about Erik, but we do get a clearer sense of how much his friends mean to him. One funny thing is that you see a glimpse of his sister's ponytail during the memory segment, and I assumed the girl who later wanders into the Heliodor foothill church was the same character, and kept waiting for some story element where Erik would meet up with her. Whoops!

By far my favorite of these interludes was Rab's. For starters, it's fascinating being able to see Dundrasil in its prime and interacting with the various characters there. Finally meeting Irwin and Eleanor feels appropriately weighty. And there's even a great gameplay element in being king for a day and making a bunch of diplomatic decisions! It almost reminds me a bit of Taloon's chapter in DQIV, where you get something very different than usual to play with. The real highlight of this sequence comes in its emotional appeal though. I was already getting a lump in my throat seeing Rab get the chance to re-live a day with his late daughter and son-in-law, but then the game goes even further and twists the knife a bit. Instead of the dread of seeing the fall of Dundrasil at this point, we get the sadness of witnessing a future that never came--a Dundrasil that had never gotten destroyed and a family that had never been shattered. Seeing Rab's reactions to this hypothetical scenario involving the Hero as a kid and both his parents still alive and a huge group of people from all across the world celebrating Rab's job as a king...man, I couldn't keep it together. This is one of the most emotional sequences of an RPG that I've seen in a long time, and it really speaks to Rab's character that he had to turn away from this paradise to continue his mission of training and help save the real world.

Next time, we delve deep into Act 2!

I've finally gotten all 6 orbs, so now I'm completing all the quests before the big event happens. Currently my levels are around 35-38 for all characters, and honestly? I think I'm incredibly overleveled for this point but I'm not sure.

Picked the game back up for the first time in weeks. Going to try to finish all the sidequests. Found another story quest new to the switch version in Act 3 Heliodor Castle. Got some sweet looking armor out of it! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SlimeVagrant said:

Picked the game back up for the first time in weeks. Going to try to finish all the sidequests. Found another story quest new to the switch version in Act 3 Heliodor Castle. Got some sweet looking armor out of it! :thumbsup:

Cool, I will have to look for that, I haven't played much Act 3 yet.

Picked the game back up for the first time in weeks. Going to try to finish all the sidequests. Found another story quest new to the switch version in Act 3 Heliodor Castle. Got some sweet looking armor out of it!
Yeah this is easy to miss especially for people who a lol ready p look aged the game on PC/PS4 and wouldn't think to look there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Yeah this is easy to miss especially for people who a lol ready p look aged the game on PC/PS4 and wouldn't think to look there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah I only found it via the shell phone or whatever it's called.

Forgot how Awful the final trial of the wheel of harma is. Those squids just won't die. >.<I think it might be time for some MKS grinding, but I'll see how many quests I can clear before I have to resort to that.

First time posting in this topic.

I just beat the game. Took me 118h. It's my second completed DQ game after playing through Dragon Warrior on the NES earlier this year. I completed every side quest and got through to the true ending. The only thing I didn't complete was the Secret Trial at Angri-La or any of the Tockle quests after the first (mandatory?) one. I doubt I'll ever try to complete the Secret Trial because all successful attempts I've seen online don't have any characters below 99, and some don't even hit the minimum 50 move limit. The Final Trial was hard enough. I am eager to play through the Tockle missions after I've played through the rest of the main series, though.

• Like 1

Finished all of the story quests save for Final boss and the last two parts of Trial Isle. Only sidequests I have left is one that requires the final WoH trial, and the last tickington quest for DQ1 (which I understand requires you to beat the true final boss?) Somehow made it this far with my team only in the mid 70s, I need to do some serious MKS grinding. Though I am kind of worried because I wanted to unlock all the appearance changing outfits but so far I've only gotten all of Erik's and I only know of costumes for Serena, Veronica, and Eight that I don't have yet. No idea what/where the rest of the party's final outfits are. Maybe they're all in the rest of Trial Isle and WoH, but I still feel like I'm going to come up short. :unhappy: Maybe there's some random unmarked npcs out there they give them to you similarly to the Stellar set. Gonna be like looking for a needle in a planet-sized haystack.

Edited by SlimeVagrant
  • Like 1

Haven't updated in a while. Just been busy playing Terry in Smash and playing DQXI a bit at a time.

I managed to complete Act 1 in full Draconic. The game is defiantly more easy once you get passed Gallopolis. Tentacular was a pain as always. The condor fight at The Earie Eyrie was honestly harder then just about all the other boss fights at the end of Act 1. So I had to grind there for a bit. I went overboard with grinding right before Dora and managed to complete that fight just fine. I was worried Draconic was going to be a lot worse then this. Not that I am disappointed by it. Still have a lot of fun with this playthrough.

I also noticed that with no experience for lower monsters, Electro Light is worthless at certain points. I believe Yangus mentioned something about it earlier. But the Metal Slimes are counted as "low level" at some point. So you don't gain experience from them. The only way to go around this is to fight them when they show up with normal enemies that you are not over level for. Monster EXP adds up in total at the end, and if one monster is at level or higher then you still get the experience points. Even if several monsters were too weak for experience. 

There is only one fight I am worried about at this point. The Gatekeeper of The Fortress of Fear. I am really not looking forward to it.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Like 1

Currently I'm just destroying brownies for seeds of strength while going overboard with levels. I'm incredibly close to heading to the end of Act 1 at this point, however, so I really want to get enough seeds of strength for this point in the game and return to farming them later because I do not have that kind of patience, as sad as it is.

However I haven't had as much time to play DQXI, so I'm sort of switching back and forth between DQXI and DQVIII in between time on the switch and time I have to myself.

Rab is really hard to beat in 2D mode. Been stuck at Angri-La, not feeling like grinding.

Just grabbed a phial of special water to help a kid who can't speak. 

On 11/17/2019 at 12:59 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

Rab is really hard to beat in 2D mode. Been stuck at Angri-La, not feeling like grinding.

I beat him last night before passing out (was already in bed), woke up and the game had crashed. I don't remember saving. :P

• Like 1

Completed the 3rd trial of the trial isle after using most of my pep pips to farm some seeds of skill. Figured "what else am I gonna do with em?" My party is starting to look final boss worthy, though somehow Serena is significantly under-leveled compared to the rest of my team. Apparently I forgot that I was missing a pastword for DQ2 and after obtaining it I now officially have all the pastwords. Haven't touched this new DQ2 one yet, and still haven't figured out the last DQ1 quest, but I'm getting there.

A close friend of mine is also playing through DQ11SDE, having not played the PC/PS4 version. I find it fun seeing his reactions to it. (Act 2 SE story spoilers ahead).

Spoiler

fishhappens.thumb.png.fb7fe4063f9b3d640e35d61a71ee4625.png

Edited by SlimeVagrant
  • Like 3