Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI S Progress

Are the crossbow targets no longer in the game? I haven't seen the Bodkins at some campsites and haven't seen a single target. Granted I never went out of my way for them in the PS4 but I know there were a few just out in the open.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Are the crossbow targets no longer in the game? I haven't seen the Bodkins at some campsites and haven't seen a single target. Granted I never went out of my way for them in the PS4 but I know there were a few just out in the open.
They weren't included in The Definitive Edition.

I was wondering about those crossbow target things! I thought I had just missed a trigger or something. I never bothered with them in the PC version anyway.

I got the Tickington statues for III, IV, V, VI, VII, IX, and X. Those quests have been pretty hit and miss in my opinion. A lot of them are just joke lines from previous games that they stretched into a whole quest. I'm also disappointed that many of the pastwords lead to the same areas as others.

TFW no DQ3 Ghost Ship Pastword

spacer.png

About to dive into (minor act 3 spoiler)

Spoiler

Drustan's Trials

I wonder if there's anything new to Definitive Edition there.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any new party members as someone hinted to earlier. If there are then it's pretty dang late in the game. Sorry fans of (super spoilerific name ahead)

Spoiler

Doge Rotondo.

Edited by SlimeVagrant
  • Upvote 1

People saw screenshots of "new party members" and idiots went and posted idiot stuff. It was just from those character-specific add-on portions at the beginning of Act 2.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

People saw screenshots of "new party members" and idiots went and posted idiot stuff. It was just from those character-specific add-on portions at the beginning of Act 2.

I figured as much.

Spoiler

Still Dave's Captain Falcon Impressions were pretty epic

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SlimeVagrant said:

About to dive into (minor act 3 spoiler)

Reveal hidden contents

Drustan's Trials

I wonder if there's anything new to Definitive Edition there.

I got a boss fight spoiled for me in regards to those.

Only did the first part of it so far and did notice something a little different.

Spoiler

Maybe I remember wrong but there's an option for one of the rewards that says something like "I want to choose someone to spend my life with". Pretty sure the PC version just said "I wan't to marry Gemma".

Tried to pick it to see what's it's about but apparently I can't get married because I'm homeless. So uh I guess I'll work on that O_o. Got a recipe for the supreme sword of light instead. I got the dinky little thing to +3 and it still doesn't compare to my berserker blade plus 3, but hey it's still free panaceas.

Only did the first part of it so far and did notice something a little different.
Spoiler

Maybe I remember wrong but there's an option for one of the rewards that says something like "I want to choose someone to spend my life with". Pretty sure the PC version just said "I wan't to marry Gemma".
Tried to pick it to see what's it's about but apparently I can't get married because I'm homeless. So uh I guess I'll work on that O_o. Got a recipe for the supreme sword of light instead. I got the dinky little thing to +3 and it still doesn't compare to my berserker blade plus 3, but hey it's still free panaceas.

Yeah that part is definitely different. The whole dialogue regarding it is watered down as well.

So I decided to switch back to my 3D file over the weekend and continue the main story. Interesting sequence in the Void. While I still think that Mordegon is a rather bland villain, I have to give him credit where it's due: he beats Orgodemir as THE most powerful villain of the series, if you ask me. Ordogemir managed to destroy most of the world's CONTINENTS. While Mordegon didn't sink continents, he did something SO MUCH worse:

Spoiler

Destroyed the AFTERLIFE itself. Not only did he destroy the place all souls congregate at the end: The World Tree, but he was starting to dig his clutches into the Void (the only bastion the souls of the departed had left). By default, that makes Mordegon the strongest of them all. Destroying a planet is one thing--destroying the AFTERLIFE?! That has never been done in this series as far as I recall. So, Mordegon is bland (which is unfortunate) but he's very powerful.

So, by the time I finished, Sylvando's clown band was suiting Don Rodrigo up in his clown gear. LOL! Sylvando kills me. Definitely one of my favorite characters in this game without question. I love the way that even the Luminary, Rab and--LOL!--Hendrick gear up in their clown gear. What's funny about Hendrick is how he's standing there, still doing his same contemplative poses while sporting a blue clown nose and clown suit and saying something in his usual dry manner: "I must confess that I have no entirely figured this Sylvando's character out just yet."

Even more hilarious was how the Luminary was really getting into it and doing the same wave that Sylvando's gang was all making. It was a nice piece of comedy in this murky dark world.

Also, it's nice to finally see the secret of Sylvando revealed. I must say that I love how his stats and skill tree themselves already serve as a foreshadowing of the big reveal. Now I know why Sylvando is a surprise tank in the game!

They're really fleshing several of the characters out in this game and I really love that.

Hendrick is quickly becoming one of my favorites as well. I love his dry personality. Some of his dry responses are hilarious.

I also have to say...Rab is amazing! Both as a fighter and as a person. This guy might be one of the most forgiving Dragon Quest characters of the series--ESPECIALLY the way he so easily forgives Hendrick. This seems to be one of the most "forgiving" Dragon Quest games of the series, not that there is anything wrong with that.

No wonder this game is so massive--they're really going to have me traverse the entire world a second time under this new veil of darkness? Very interesting. No wonder the map is a bit smaller than some of the other games. This would mark the first time since DQVII that we've seen a duel world map.

I do have to say, though...I'm a tad bit disappointed in this ruined world. This is one of the rare times where I must say this: Final Fantasy did it better than Dragon Quest. Ouch...never thought I'd say that. I prefer the way they handled the World of Ruin in Final Fantasy VI so much more. The entire world itself was restructured and many towns were obliterated. In Dragon Quest XI--at least so far--it seems the main changes are the eternally smokey sky, singed trees and grass, a few landslides blocking your usual roads, some broken archways on the roads and an overall melancholy atmosphere. I was hoping for a bit more extensive destruction like Final Fantasy VI. Not a major gripe by any means, of course.

I still find it ballsy of the creators. DQVII was already ballsy in how you spent more than 50% of that game running around on islands sealed in darkness. This game is also ballsy in the way it has you repeat the entire map under a gray/green, hazy, dead sky and melancholy atmosphere.

This game really fools you: the beginning makes it seem as if you're getting another Dragon Quest VIII. Then the curveball is thrown in and you realize you're, instead, getting another apocalyptic Dragon Quest VII.

One finale note: This game reminds me so much of Breath of the Wild sometimes (graphically speaking) that I still sometimes half-expect I can clime the side of a cliff, LOL!

Got all 6 orbs and will head to Yggdrasil soon enough. Going around the world one more time to grab some materials to get some more perfectionist pearls and am making certain equipment be +3 for a particular reason later on.

I’ve finished what I can in the Alters in Tickington. It’s nice to finally see some DQ10 content in English, even if it’s only through the  Alter of the Undeciphered. Interesting to see them make the official English names of the Weddie and Puklipo tribes as Wetling and Poppet respectively. Guess we no longer have to use those first two from the back of the DQ10 symphonic suite CD anymore, though it will be hard to stop saying/typing Weddie and Puklipo.

Also, I found a glitch in Sniflheim. I’ll post a picture of it later.

Man, I am so freaking close to finishing Act 1 now. I had to stop at the first campsite in the First Forest. I just want to get to Act 2 now so I can see the new story content! I need to stop getting distracted with collecting materials and items on the overworld areas. It’s no wonder I still haven’t finished the likes of DQ Builders 1!

Anyway, here’s the Sniflheim glitch I mentioned earlier. I was talking to the little girl who throws snowballs and apparently I was standing too close to her because then this happened to the hero:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was my reaction when MopTopMoS! suddenly started floating in midair during the conversation...

spacer.png

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Looks like you're about to kick her in the face. Keep talking #$*! kid...

He picked up some martial art skills from Jade. I call it Flying Hades Condor, Kicking Brollygagger.

• Like 1

FINALLY, I made it to Act 2! The final cutscene of Act 1 was still shocking to watch even though I knew it was coming.

I’m now getting to experience the new story content...but I’ll be honest, I’m surprised it’s at the start of Act 2. I figured you’d experience the new character stories once the character joins the hero again, sort of as a “Here’s where this character is now in Act 2, but let’s find out how they got there!” instead of having them immediately happen at the start of Act 2. It’s a bit weird to jump straight into them, I’ll be honest.

However, I’m not complaining about getting the backstories. Not at all. Having already played the game I’m eager to see what happens in them, I just think from a narrative perspective it would have made more sense to have them be played AFTER the character officially joins you again.

I'm headed to The First Forest now and also did some Tickington stuff. I have all the act 1 pastwords so I have no reason to stick around. To Yggdrasil!

On 10/6/2019 at 11:04 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Hate to break it to you, but I doubt it will be in symphonic form. It’s never been recorded in a symphonic style and doesn’t exist on any of the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphonic Suite CDs. It will more than likely be like Sylvando’s theme where it’s synth regardless of the music choice.

All the symphonic music is re-used from the TMSS CDs. So it’s more than likely going to be synth. I’d be surprised if it was symphonic.

Congrats past me, you were right about this song. When you can first hear the song in game during Jade’s new story in Act 2, the song is still in synth form. I’ll send a chocolate chip cookie back in time for you.

I’ve finished up Sylvando’s story in Act 2. I really like how it goes into detail how he takes after his mother and what her backstory was. I thought it was weird they never really mentioned her in the original game, so I’m glad we got to hear how she and Sylvando are so alike/where Sylvando got some of the entertainer charm and skill of his.

Also, I like how they updated his circus leader outfit. It looks a lot cooler now compared to the original where it was his default outfit with some feathers slapped on it. The new color scheme and design suits him.

Also, during Jade’s story, I found the PERFECT set of lines for everyone who plays the game and has the hots for Jade. I’ll put them in spoiler tags for minor antagonist character spoilers, so don’t open if you haven’t reached Act 2.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I’m cruising along in Act 2 now. I’ve completed Sylvando, Jade, and Erik’s stories and am now at the start of Rab’s. Gonna call it a night though.

Sylvando had a pretty good one, Jade’s was 50/50 but had a fun last battle, and Erik’s was great. Erik’s is my favorite thus far because I loved how they used DQ4’s dungeon theme, “Frightening Dungeons,” and tied the new character in with another major character down the road. Frankly I wasn’t expecting the new buddy Erik had to be the character it was, but considering what you learn about said character later on...well, I’ll stop there. I will say that Erik’s story is something big fans of DQ4 will love.

Anyway, I’m LOVING that during Rab’s portion (of what I’ve played) you get to hear “Melody of Love,” from DQ5. It’s one of my favorite songs from the series. And man, I’m going to just keep saying it, but hearing all these DQ tunes in beautiful symphonic form in an actual DQ game is just so wonderful.

I still think these stories would have worked better if they happened a little later on, but I’m enjoying all of them in one way or another. I’m glad they added them here in the Definitive Edition.

I was gonna post this on Twitter but I thought it would be too spoilery if someone saw it and hadn't beaten the game before. Anyways...don't look click the spoiler unless you've almost beaten the game. 

IMG_20191030_193133.thumb.jpg.7ce8b67c6e686d42393ee62743b554b9.jpg

A photo captured moments before disaster

Granted it doesn't really spoil anything but I took it specifically that way and it would make people wonder about the specifics of the things shown.

• Like 1

I had the chance to finish Rab’s story this morning in Act 2 before heading to work. Man, why is it everything story related to this character gets me to tear up?! Seriously. I feel so bad for the guy, I really do.

Also, loved the little reference towards DQ5 in his story. Makes me want to replay the game and name the hero something else just to see what happens...

I just made it to Alltrades Abbey and it's under siege by old men. Before I talk to them, I'm posting my guess: that they all want to be pretty bunny girls.

Edit: Well, I sure know Dragon Quest, don't I?

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Like 1

I've finally gotten around to playing more DQXI and got to Sniflheim after completing Phnom Nohn. About to go into the Hekswood pretty soon. I decided that I should probably give greatswords a try on the hero and honestly? They are so much better than the regular swords; most battles were a breeze with them. Dora-In-Grey was mostly easy with them, when a character wasn't mesmerized by her (and when I say "a character" I mean Jade). Currently most of the party is around levels 30-35, I feel like grinding some more if I'm being blunt here. I'm not sure what weapon to put Sylvando on, as I don't particularly use him as much (I currently use a main party line up of Hero, Erik, Jade, and Serena). Any suggestions? Currently I've gotten most of the skills and boosts I wanted from his Litheness and Showmanship trees, particularly Hustle Dance and along the way I picked up Dual-Wielding. Not exactly sure what path to take him on.

Over a month after I got it, I’ve finally started. Still in the very beginning, enjoying the familiarity already.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 4:32 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Sylvando had a pretty good one, Jade’s was 50/50 but had a fun last battle, and Erik’s was great. Erik’s is my favorite thus far because I loved how they used DQ4’s dungeon theme, “Frightening Dungeons,” and tied the new character in with another major character down the road. Frankly I wasn’t expecting the new buddy Erik had to be the character it was, but considering what you learn about said character later on...well, I’ll stop there. I will say that Erik’s story is something big fans of DQ4 will love.

I predicted who Erik's partner was completely wrong. I thought that it was a reference to the Monsters game that has been announced and that he would've remembered the character from his childhood. It was an unexpected reveal but made sense, however, it would've also been cool if it was a hint towards the upcoming Monsters game.

2D mode has now been completed. So glad we got this definitive version on Switch. The extra content on 3D mode, and the whole addition of 2D mode have just been real joys to play through. As excited as I am for the future of Dragon Quest, I feel like it's going to be really hard for them to top this in the future. There's just something really special about this one. Now excuse me while I go figure out what to do with my life.

• Upvote 1

Well, it took here and there throughout the weekend, but I’ve now defeated the first Spectral Sentinel in Act 2 (thankfully in one attempt this time!), brought the sunlight back to the Heliodor region, and have joined forces with my favorite playable character in the game at last! The 8th character is a welcome addition to the playable cast, namely because said character is such a badass and is even moreso now than on my first playthrough. Replaying the game and re-reading a lot of the dialogue/text based around the character made me realize there were details I hadn’t thought about much my first go around in regards to the 8th character.

Anyway, I’m going to keep what I did on my first playthrough and have the 8th character with axes, as they are the only one who can wield them. Plus, it channels a bit of ol’ Yangus’s best and favorite weapon from DQ8, after all... 😉