Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI S Progress

My progress has become split as of this weekend.

I was sick with a cold all weekend and spent time resting and playing Dragon Quest. I dabbled with DQ1-3 Switch versions and then decided to start making some actual headway on my DQXI separate 2D file.

So, I have yet to finish the main game on my 3D file but I'm OK with it as I wanted to devote some serious attention to 2D mode. I'm in NO hurry to finish this game and don't mind savoring the experience. Now, as for how far I'm going to go with the 2D mode before returning to 3D mode to finish the story? Not sure yet. All that I know is that I WILL NOT allow myself to surpass the story in 2D mode. I want to experience any new story developments in 3D first so as to gain the full measure of the experience for the full emotional weight. So, as of right now, I'm just having fun with 2D mode but will hit a stopping point at some point--not sure where yet. Either way, I'll make sure I never allow myself to get further in the 2D mode than the 3D mode--not until I've beaten the game in 3D mode.I made it to Hotto in 2D mode before calling it a night.

Played a whole bunch this weekend and got up to the silver orb. The game is flawless and when I start playing it I can't stop. Like...every other game I was playing is stopped now. Gonna be hard when The Outer Worlds comes out Friday and I have to juggle the two. I don't want to put XIS down but I've been looking forward to The Outer Worlds since it was announced.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Long weekend with no Dragon Quest. Glad to get a good long session in today.

Worked on my 2D playthrough. I cleared Gallopolis and made it all the way through the Dundrasil part. I actually struggled with Jaspar on this playthrough as well. Wondering if they actually made him stronger in this version. I don't recall him being that difficult. Since I am sorta rushing through the game, it is providing a good challenge that I can't simply buy materials for my crafting only run. I really didn't give it much thought, but it is making this run a lot more enjoyable for me. Will be fun to see how far I can get without grinding for materials.

I did get a bit bored later in the day. So I took a small break to start my third playthrough that is going to be my full Draconic run. Only made it through Cobblestone, so I really didn't get a taste of what is to come.  Might get put more time into this file tomorrow to see if I am feeling up for the challenge. I am not sure if I wanna take the time to talk to all the villagers yet for the tripe talk. The townsfolk in Gallopolis already talk trip on the Prince being such a great person as it is. 

I am also thinking on the idea of doing a Hero only run. But I am REALLY getting too far ahead of myself right now as it is.

Switch 2D, 8x Draconian mode...took 2 tries but managed a win.  Shame I'm only able to get 30s of video:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Nice! Being new to the series, how did you like it? Seems you enjoyed it just a bit.

JRPG's are beginning to become my favorite genre, now. 

Just kind of bopping around in my playthrough. I have 4 orbs and I'm not sure where I want to go next. Might do Phom Nhom and then head to Sniffilhiem. I just want to make sure I get all the pastwords I can before act 2.

Apologies for the previous spoiler. I honestly didn't really consider it one but some people clearly got upset so I went back and edited it.

Anyways, I finally completed everything tonight. Everything as in story, quests, bosses, Tickington, etc. Overall I really enjoyed the new content that was added. The only gripe i have with it is that...

Spoiler

The timewyrm and secret trial were both way too ridiculous in harder monsters mode. I've searched everywhere and have yet to see a video of anybody completing either with harder monsters enabled. With the timewyrm I literally had the tail killed, the head in orange health, and had just healed my party so all 8 members were at max health. Pretty optimal situation. Right after that though the head had his 3 turns in a row, used all AOE attacks, got 2 spell crits, and totally wiped all 4 of my characters before I could take an action. Back up party comes out, and he does the exact. same. thing. before I get a chance to act. This time one character is left with about 100 health. I try to revive Hendrik for a Kerplunk but naturally as soon as I do the head gets to go again and I lose. After that I just didn't even want to try again. Took way too long to get to that point as it was and I didn't want to risk having another total wipe before I even had a chance to take an action. I had already been trying to beat him for about 4-5 hours at that point. So I just removed harder monsters and then the fight wasn't too bad.

In general I felt like starting at chapter 3 of the Alter of an Elusive Age the bosses became a lot more luck based than strategy based. Even with Catholicon rings they still threw a ton of status effects that stuck, most often ones that restricted you from controlling the characters, and then just did massive AOE damage while having ridiculous health pools. That was basically every single battle except they progressively got more health and did more damage. A lot of it was just retrying over and over until I got lucky that status effects didn't stick, or that I dodged/didn't get attacked by devastating blows/crit spells. I enjoy challenging fights, that's why I played harder monsters, but I felt like it was just my luck that was being tested and my gear/level/strategy only had a small part to play. When it gets to that point it stops being fun, and just starts being frustrating.

With the secret trial I could never make it past part 2 with harder monsters enabled. I tried using Hendrik with the brilliant blade +3, but on harder monsters the only way to 1 shot reinforcements was to have double up active, and in that mode she seems to summon waaay more than in normal monsters mode. Since you suffer defense -1 they just whittle away at your health and that's that. So I also just switched to normal mode and got it done pretty quickly after that in 47 turns. 

So I did everything with harder monsters except Timewyrm and the Secret trial, both of which I think are just way too ridiculous in that one. I really hated turning it off after coming so far with it, but I had already spent hours on both of these fights, and I just wanted to move on with it since it was not in the slightest a fun experience.

Next I'm planning to do a full run in 2D mode, and I'm quite excited about it. I had originally planned to just do one run and switch back and forth, but the whole resetting at the start of chapters thing kinda turned me off to that. I also wanted to make sure I didn't miss the new story content in 3D. It's going to be fun and feel nostalgic playing the 2D mode with my 8bitDo SF30 pro controller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaeneth said:

Apologies for the previous spoiler. I honestly didn't really consider it one but some people clearly got upset so I went back and edited it.

Anyways, I finally completed everything tonight. Everything as in story, quests, bosses, Tickington, etc. Overall I really enjoyed the new content that was added. The only gripe i have with it is that...

Reveal hidden contents

The timewyrm and secret trial were both way too ridiculous in harder monsters mode. I've searched everywhere and have yet to see a video of anybody completing either with harder monsters enabled. With the timewyrm I literally had the tail killed, the head in orange health, and had just healed my party so all 8 members were at max health. Pretty optimal situation. Right after that though the head had his 3 turns in a row, used all AOE attacks, got 2 spell crits, and totally wiped all 4 of my characters before I could take an action. Back up party comes out, and he does the exact. same. thing. before I get a chance to act. This time one character is left with about 100 health. I try to revive Hendrik for a Kerplunk but naturally as soon as I do the head gets to go again and I lose. After that I just didn't even want to try again. Took way too long to get to that point as it was and I didn't want to risk having another total wipe before I even had a chance to take an action. I had already been trying to beat him for about 4-5 hours at that point. So I just removed harder monsters and then the fight wasn't too bad.

In general I felt like starting at chapter 3 of the Alter of an Elusive Age the bosses became a lot more luck based than strategy based. Even with Catholicon rings they still threw a ton of status effects that stuck, most often ones that restricted you from controlling the characters, and then just did massive AOE damage while having ridiculous health pools. That was basically every single battle except they progressively got more health and did more damage. A lot of it was just retrying over and over until I got lucky that status effects didn't stick, or that I dodged/didn't get attacked by devastating blows/crit spells. I enjoy challenging fights, that's why I played harder monsters, but I felt like it was just my luck that was being tested and my gear/level/strategy only had a small part to play. When it gets to that point it stops being fun, and just starts being frustrating.

With the secret trial I could never make it past part 2 with harder monsters enabled. I tried using Hendrik with the brilliant blade +3, but on harder monsters the only way to 1 shot reinforcements was to have double up active, and in that mode she seems to summon waaay more than in normal monsters mode. Since you suffer defense -1 they just whittle away at your health and that's that. So I also just switched to normal mode and got it done pretty quickly after that in 47 turns. 

So I did everything with harder monsters except Timewyrm and the Secret trial, both of which I think are just way too ridiculous in that one. I really hated turning it off after coming so far with it, but I had already spent hours on both of these fights, and I just wanted to move on with it since it was not in the slightest a fun experience.

Next I'm planning to do a full run in 2D mode, and I'm quite excited about it. I had originally planned to just do one run and switch back and forth, but the whole resetting at the start of chapters thing kinda turned me off to that. I also wanted to make sure I didn't miss the new story content in 3D. It's going to be fun and feel nostalgic playing the 2D mode with my 8bitDo SF30 pro controller.

You managed to get that far with Super Monsters? That is pretty impressive either way. The stupid Pep Pop grind really dragged on for me, which isn't even that terrible to begin with. I don't think I would ever attempt the boss like that. Too insane for my blood.

I was thinking of getting the Sn30 Pro+ controller for 2D, but I got too impatient and started playing without getting it. But playing 2D with a joystick really doesn't feel awkward for me.

I’ve past the 90 hour mark and am now on the way to the Royal Library near Sniflheim. I was able to pretty much ignore every monster in the Hekswood since they didn’t give any EXP save for Orc Kings.

Man, I’ve almost had my copy for a month and I feel like I’ve gotten nowhere in the game. Granted part of it has been me messing around and doing some item hunting, but my work schedule has made it tough to get in the time I was able to last year. Act 2 may be just a straight shot of what I absolutely need to do in game and not worry about the side content until later.

Continued with my 2D playthrough. I have decided that I might just complete Act 2 with this file and call it. I am having fun and all, but I have been wanting to play more on my full Draconic run. I managed to get through The Eerie Eyrie. I really don't care for this dungeon because of the layout. But the 2D version of this dungeon was actually really enjoyable. Hoping that The Battleground gets the same treatment.

Didn't progress too far on my full Draconic run. I grinded outside of the church outside of Heliodor to level 7. Having a lot of fun with this run so far. Each fight feels like a boss battle in itself. If I continue to have this much fun, I will probably go through with it.

On 10/22/2019 at 11:52 PM, Twinkie said:

You managed to get that far with Super Monsters? That is pretty impressive either way. The stupid Pep Pop grind really dragged on for me, which isn't even that terrible to begin with. I don't think I would ever attempt the boss like that. Too insane for my blood.

I was thinking of getting the Sn30 Pro+ controller for 2D, but I got too impatient and started playing without getting it. But playing 2D with a joystick really doesn't feel awkward for me.

Thanks. After I turned it off and finished those last two fights I did save in another slot, so I may go back at some point and try those fights again with harder monsters just to say I did it, but for now I just want to move on. 

I've only heard good things about that controller too. I understand the impatient part though. I got the SF30 Pro in the mail a day or two after 11S, and I've loved the controller so far. I had thought about a lot of uses I'd have for it before, but 2D mode, and 1-3 on Switch, pushed me to get it. Went with the normal instead of the + mainly because 1. I love the SF aesthetic, and 2. I wanted something small and easily portable. It also just feels right to me to play those kind of games with that controller shape. I may look into the + at some point though as much as I've loved this controller. I used it especially anytime I went to Tickington and it just really made the experience especially enjoyable for me.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why but everything about Phom Nhoh seems so...boring. I was in the dungeon last night and the constant cutscenes were so annoying, and I skipped the cutscenes for the first time in awhile. The last time I skipped cutscenes was in the very beginning at the Cobblestone Tor. Ready to get this dungeon over with and move onto Sniffelhiem to get a couple more pastwords and enjoy the best type of video game area...an ice one.

Apparently you can’t earn EXP from Liquid Metal Slimes after you hit level 37 with the “No EXP from weaker monsters,” setting. Finally fought and killed some in the Sniflheim Royal Library but the game was like “No #$*! you you get no EXP even though they are hard to kill, Yangus.”

It’s kind of confusing because regular metal slimes were way more generous on the level cap before they stopped giving out EXP with this setting. I just kind of stared at the screen in a mixture of shock, confusion, and anger.

After that I’m thinking I’m just going to start blazing through the rest of the game. Dumb setbacks like that just make me go like this:

B2BED032-57A7-498D-B944-2A7A72D614BC.jpeg

Yay, managed to beat Krystalinda and saved Sniflheim! She was a much tougher fight this time around and I had a close call at the end because I forgot to use Multiheal, but I won.

I’m also glad to hear they used the symphonic version of “Spring Breeze Flute,” from DQ5 once you free the city from her spell. It’s been kind of exciting to see whether or not the symphonic rendition of past DQ jingles will make an appearance or if they stuck with the synth versions. Could be I’m just a bit of a music guy and care about something like that, but eh, it was great to hear that version of “Spring Breeze Flute,” performed on an actual flute.

Didn't get to play as much as I wished. But I did started on Act 2. The Royal Library was a big improvement over 3D. The only dungeon i didn't like in 2D over 3D was Hekswood. Sure, the ice sliding puzzles were easy. But it doesn't change the fact that they are ice sliding puzzles.

I am also growing to dislike the new character specific content. They really didn't add much to the story for the most part, and didn't add that much character development. But I think I am just being salty over it since that new content is going to make a solo hero run impossible. Guess I will have to do it on PC when I pick that version up.

Finished off Mordegon this morning. I decided to see if I could use switching to 2D to back in time in order to dupe the unique weapon you get from slaying him in an effort to keep it well into the postgame. Didn't work unfortunately as it removed it from your inventory when you go before Mordegon. Now that I'm actually spec'd into that type of weapon I will miss it once it's gone.

Finished off some sidequests. Took me a good 8 hours to do Richie's Quest for the vest of success. That sure was a well designed quest! But with that I think I've done all the sidequests that you can do before the big event that kicks off Act 3, unless there's a way to get the 3rd DQ5 pastword that is required for the second DQ2 pastword quest. But I'm sure you can still access all of tickington  in Act 3 so I'm getting ready for the postgame dungeon.

I beat Dora last night and I don't get why people find her so hard. Maybe with harder monsters it's worse but I had Slyvando waiting to use "sobering slap" on my bench any time a status ailment got put on a party member. Popped into the Royal Library to pick up the pastword before stopping. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I beat Dora last night and I don't get why people find her so hard. Maybe with harder monsters it's worse

That’s exactly why. Go and play the PS4 version with stronger monsters on and see if you still think she isn’t a hard boss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I beat Dora last night and I don't get why people find her so hard. Maybe with harder monsters it's worse but I had Slyvando waiting to use "sobering slap" on my bench any time a status ailment got put on a party member. Popped into the Royal Library to pick up the pastword before stopping. 

Guess I will use this to rant.

But it is really dumb that the healing/save statue isn't before the Dora fight in 2D. The dungeon is shorter, but the random encounters doesn't put you in the best of health before the fight.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

But it is really dumb that the healing/save statue isn't before the Dora fight in 2D. The dungeon is shorter, but the random encounters doesn't put you in the best of health before the fight.

Oh really? The statue isn’t there in 2D? Very interesting...

I was wondering if it would be. Kind of glad they don’t have it there so you can have the old school challenge of no free heal/save before the boss.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

58 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Really? The statue was removed in 2D mode? Damn...

I used that as a liquid metal slime grinding as well as overall grinding area. The free healing from the statue allowed me to spend a great deal of time there.

• Like 1

I have a friend that's headed to act 2 Arboria. Don't click the spoiler if you haven't been there yet. Seriously. Don't.

I told him I used Hero, Hendrick, Jade, and Serena in my game. He asked about Veronica and I struggled so hard to one, not spoiler her death and then...

Okay another spoiler if you haven't made it to act 3...don't click it!

not saying anything about using her in act 3 since you get her back. Like...I didn't want to double spoil her death and her "revival"

I feel in a place of power having beaten the game beforehand and talking with people playing it for the first time. They are in for a TRIP! 

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1

Made some good progress in 2D. I got into act 2 and went through fairly easily. Maybe it is because I am more experienced and just got done with Stronger Monsters, but these fights just feel like nothing. I defeated Booga like nothing, despite struggling with him in the PS4 release. I feel like they toned down a lot of these bosses. I ended the day after clearing The Gyldenhal. I have to say, that dungeon looked REALLY good in 2D. Easily the best looking part in 2D for me.

I decided to end the day with a little bit of my All Draconic run. Didn't progress much, but did get passed The Manglegrove. Hopefully I am not getting too overconfident. But I feel like I will be able to handle it. Having much more fun with it then I would have imagined.