Sign in to follow this  
Slimeknight

Rank the first four DQ games based on the NES versions.

Best

Dragon Quest 2

Dragon Quest 4

Dragon Quest 1

Dragon Quest 3

Worst

Even though DQ 3 is last I still enjoy it.

Best

DQ3

DQ4

DQ1

DQ2

Worst

For me, this list stands as-is whether remakes are a part of the equation or not. The things I like about the games are still the same and the things that get fixed or added don't make enough of a difference to change position.

My list is:
BEST:
IV
III
I
II
WORST.

Ditto.
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

May I ask why you favor DQ2 and like DQ3 the least? Just curious.

My list is:

BEST:

IV

III

I

II

WORST.

I like the character designs in DQ 2 as well as the non linerity.   it’s not that I dislike DQ 3 it’s just that I like the others more.  I also like the character designs and the gameplay of DQ 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Ditto.

Ditto.

DWIV

DWIII

DW

DWII

It's no contest that DWII gets last place. Least interesting characters, sub par music (for the most part), half the time attack spells fail, Cannock dies easily and he's the only one with the revive spell. Unblockable death spells in Rhone: giving several chances for an entire party wipe (or a Cannock death) on the long trek to the final castle. If either of those two things happen you need to Return, Wing of Wyvern, walk all the way back to the save point or die. You're limited to just 1 Leaf of the World Tree. The difficulty is more annoying than challenging. I look at it as a frustrating challenge that is rewarding if the RNG favors you, but it is my least favorite DQ of the entire series.

In contrast DWIV has interesting chapter-based story build-up with great characters and music. DWIII has great music and classes for party customization and DW is just a short, simple and fun retro classic RPG.

For the most part DQ games become relatively non-linear once you get a ship.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Slimeknight said:

I like the character designs in DQ 2 as well as the non linerity.   it’s not that I dislike DQ 3 it’s just that I like the others more.  I also like the character designs and the gameplay of DQ 1.

Well, I respect that. Dragon Quest II may frustrate me but I still love it along with the others. I think it's great how wildly opinions can vary on this series. It really goes to show how diverse this series is.

At the very least, it seems most of us around here can agree that the entire series is great. I can't think of too many series where almost every fan seems to agree that every installment is great WHILE still having varying opinions on the best one. With Super Mario, the consensus seems to be 3 or World. With Mega Man, it seems to be 2. With Final Fantasy, it seems to be VI and VII. With Dragon Quest? I've never met a single fan who gives the same answer. I love that about this series.

I can agree with you that, design-wise, the characters of DQII look fantastic and quite diverse: Blue, Green and Pink. I see you put DQIV as your second choice on the list. DQIV ranks highly with me because of the diversity of its cast of characters and the fact that, rather than a job system, you simply get characters who are already job-specific.

IV isn't just my favorite out of this list of four--it's my favorite of the series. Is II also your series favorite?

17 hours ago, Liamland said:

Ditto.

DWIV

DWIII

DW

DWII

It's no contest that DWII gets last place. Least interesting characters, sub par music (for the most part), half the time attack spells fail, Cannock dies easily and he's the only one with the revive spell. Unblockable death spells in Rhone: giving several chances for an entire party wipe (or a Cannock death) on the long trek to the final castle. If either of those two things happen you need to Return, Wing of Wyvern, walk all the way back to the save point or die. You're limited to just 1 Leaf of the World Tree. The difficulty is more annoying than challenging. I look at it as a frustrating challenge that is rewarding if the RNG favors you, but it is my least favorite DQ of the entire series.

In contrast DWIV has interesting chapter-based story build-up with great characters and music. DWIII has great music and classes for party customization and DW is just a short, simple and fun retro classic RPG.

For the most part DQ games become relatively non-linear once you get a ship.

Every single frustration you just wrote out is how I feel about the game as well. I still love it but it's my least favorite of the series. All I remember is dragging coffins in that game. I've been replaying it lately and I was very frustrated to find that I was grinding my hero up to level 20 near Moonahan/Moonbrook and STILL lost a party member every now and then.

Either the party in II is just weak or the monsters are just too strong or a mixture of both--I never figured it out with that game.

And Rhone...whew! You forgot to mention the CAVE to Rhone. That alone was a nightmare. Seems you get to Hargon by the skin of your teeth no matter how well-equipped/leveled you are.

Rhone alone puts it as my least favorite of the series.

26 minutes ago, Slimeknight said:

In the whole series DQV and DQVI are my favorites.

I LOVE DQV so much! DQVI, not so much.

V is great. Such a tragic story with a happy ending.

V is a fairly flawless game, I'd say.

I like both, but I like VI for its character design, music and non-linear gameplay.

1 hour ago, Liamland said:

I like both, but I like VI for its character design, music and non-linear gameplay.

I like the music and character designs of DQ6 too.

Definitely.