What are some emotional moments in the series that really move/affect you? *Potential series spoilers*

Any moments, really. What are some that stand out to you/mean something to you? I can't list them all at the moment but I wanted to shine a light on a few of mine:

-DQVII when Estard is plunged into darkness. I love Estard. It's like the Hobbiton of DQVII. It's this innocent, conflict-free little continent full of people just wanting to live a modest and peaceful lifestyle. For some reason, seeing everyone in Estard panicking over the monsters and darkness affected me more than any other continent in the game.

These people were extra-innocent. They never even SAW conflict before. The soldiers were quivering in fear, not even knowing how to use their weapons. I especially remember when one of them is panicking when he sees the shadows of monsters out in the field and wonders if he'll survive. Seeing the people panicking in Pilchard Bay was also quite tragic.

Up to this point in the game, Estard was considered a non-corrupted island. Watching it lose it's "innocence" is cutting because it's so true to life. It's like that shooting in Norway which is an otherwise normally peaceful country not used to shootings of that sort.

It reminds you that there is no corner of the world where peace is 100% assured. Time is no promised to us. It can all end in a flash--just like that.

-DQIII: Hero can never return home. There was always an underlying sadness here as the hero could never return home to inform his mother of Ortega's passing. Never say goodbye. Nothing. DQIII is a true rite of passage story and is a story about a child becoming and adult and forced to adapt to the wide world ahead of him, embracing his destiny. It can be difficult leaving your home--even more so if you'll never see it again.

-DQIV: Tom Foolery. I LOVED this passage in the game. They bring this funny goofball along. He's a real clown the entire trip and, when it comes time to entertain the king, he suddenly drops his clown act, becomes dead serious, and tells the king he needs to help these heroes. That was quite a twist when I first played it. You know when the clown grows serious that people need to shut up and listen...and they do. I love that.

I have more but this is all I wanted to spare for now. Post yours as well!

Edited by ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega
  • Like 1

I was sad when Prince Charmles is no longer able to tag along with you in DQ8. Him being in the party was the highlight of the game.

• Like 2

Emotional could swing either way. For me, DQVII had ones at either end of the spectrum with departures.

Keifer. When he leaves, it's horrible. He used to be my #1 in line party member. I treated him like the Hero, much more so than Hobo Link McDroopy Hat. He's just the image of a heroic DQ Hero like the first 3 games had, the hero in awesome armor. It's such a bummer for so long without him.

Maribel. When her dad grows ill and she has to leave the party. This is the point I finally stopped being sad about Keifer because I could be elated that horrible character was gone. When I was younger and dumber, I got her back in the party later. As I grew wiser, subsequent playthroughs have seen her not touched, talked to, or talked about again.

• Like 1

In Dragon Quest VIII, when you return to Trodain. It’s absolute misery walking through that place. A once flourishing kingdom reduced to rubble, with the cursed citizenry frozen in place as a grim reminder that people lived there when it fell. Add to all that the fact that it’s in such a state of disrepair and ruin that it’s become home to monsters that you must fight adds to the sting.

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

The part in Dragon Quest XI when the overworld music changes to that one.

Yeah, that’s a good one to bring up. That moment will be especially strong in the Definitive Edition thanks to the orchestral music.

Of course, losing Charmles is much more emotional. He was the life of the party for the short time he was with you.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
27 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Emotional could swing either way. For me, DQVII had ones at either end of the spectrum with departures.

Keifer. When he leaves, it's horrible. He used to be my #1 in line party member. I treated him like the Hero, much more so than Hobo Link McDroopy Hat. He's just the image of a heroic DQ Hero like the first 3 games had, the hero in awesome armor. It's such a bummer for so long without him.

Maribel. When her dad grows ill and she has to leave the party. This is the point I finally stopped being sad about Keifer because I could be elated that horrible character was gone. When I was younger and dumber, I got her back in the party later. As I grew wiser, subsequent playthroughs have seen her not touched, talked to, or talked about again.

LOL! So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you MAYbe hate Maribel just a TAD? ;) 

8 minutes ago, eal said:

In Dragon Quest VIII, when you return to Trodain. It’s absolute misery walking through that place. A once flourishing kingdom reduced to rubble, with the cursed citizenry frozen in place as a grim reminder that people lived there when it fell. Add to all that the fact that it’s in such a state of disrepair and ruin that it’s become home to monsters that you must fight adds to the sting.

Good call. It reminded me a bit of the situation at Tir Asleen in Willow (if anyone else remembers that movie other than me). Similar situation.

1 minute ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

LOL! So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you MAYbe hate Maribel just a TAD? ;) 

Nah. Much like Maribel’s feelings for the DQ7 hero, Platty (and eal) may voice their dislike of the character, but secretly really love Maribel.

6 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yeah, that’s a good one to bring up. That moment will be especially strong in the Definitive Edition thanks to the orchestral music.

Of course, losing Charmles is much more emotional. He was the life of the party for the short time he was with you.

The only time I ever found myself trying to target a party member in a Dragon Quest game...

Not kidding, either. You can do that in Final Fantasy and I was hoping against hope I could do it to Charmles.

Just now, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Nah. Much like Maribel’s feelings for the DQ7 hero, Platty (and eal) may voice their dislike of the character, but secretly really love Maribel.

Ah, I see. ;)

I've noticed there are a lot of Veronica fans around here. I'm among them. In the short time I saw her in that demo, I was already in love with her character. So sassy and funny. People might hate this comparison, but I still think she acts a bit like a scaled-back, younger Maribel.

• Like 1

II: hearing the Alefgard music in Alefgard was a touching moment.  Actually making it to the save point in Rhone.  The first time I actually beat the NES version.

III: entering Mour village, and getting the water pistol (Ortega's Helmet in the remakes), from the kid.  Finding Ortega, only to have him die in the arms of his child, not knowing that was his child, as his eyes were burned and he couldn't see (that affected me deeply).  Not being able to return home also affected me.

IV: the destruction of the hero's village at the start of Chapter 5.  The missing people of Santeem...poor Alena.  Rosa's death.

V: the end of the first trip with Bianca, and getting Sabre in the party, then saying goodbye to Bianca.  Watching Papas die.  The scene just North of Gotha, where the Hero and his wife get turned to stone.  The revival of the Hero and meeting the kids.  Finding the wife.  Getting revenge on Gemma.  Finding Martha (that one really hit home...especially the aftermath).

VI: finding the Hero's real body and the sadness of Tania at his leaving.  The background story for Terry and Milly.  Watching all the villagers die in the world of darkness, after having just gained their freedom.

VII: Greenthumb Gardens...the foolishness of one man and the condemnation of everyone else around him due to his inability to accept some personal responsibility in relation to love and instead putting his idiotic family and silly sense of honor first.  Kiefer's leaving...that was rough, though I don't see him as the main character, I felt he was a great companion...having the best friend who clearly counted on the Hero to carry out mischief, but until that moment, it seemed like he would be there through thick and thin.  Kiefer's family grief at the loss, and that his sister couldn't face reality for awhile...thinking he'd somehow magically appear.  Providence...the sacrifice of the priest.  Nottagen, the awesome Chibi, and his noble sacrifice.  Gabo's initiation into the party, with his adoption by the woodsman initially, but deciding he would carry forth and be the type of defender and devourer of evil that is innate to his heritage.   Mardra's king...the horrible event that led him down his self-defeating path.  Maribel's father's sickness, though for me, because it meant less Maribel, but also because...Fishbel is a special town, it's the first time a starting town remains just that in the series (a place to always come home to).  Several points in the Alltrade's scenario related to Nava and her brother, starting with the soul sword incident.  The priest in Vogograd, and his suffering to protect his flock.  Analise's sacrifice.  Meeting Sharkeye for the first time.  That time when the present day went dark, and I have to agree, seeing the once peaceful eden of Estard have its cherry popped and to experience fear and potential destruction was a palpable hit.  They have no way to prepare given their innocence.  Faraday's present town and castle removed of its people, without any trace after said darkness is removed. 

VIII: Seeing Alistair die.  Watching a young Angelo enter the Abbey, and Marcello's violent outburst and facial expression.  The moment the princess could speak to her not-so-secret crush.  The whole King Pavan scenario.  Watching Abbot Francisco die, given what a good man he was.  The death of David...I'm not sure why that affected me, but perhaps because of the constant torture and his ever-present good nature towards the man who was supposed to look after him.

IX: Coffinwell, watching Catharrina die after her husband and the party just saved the town...that was pretty hard to take.  The whole funeral procession.  The moment in Wormwood with the flashback to the young female ghost and the long-since thought dead Celestrian who turns out to be the bad-guy.  The trigger point for his anger and madness in wrongfully thinking she betrayed him.  Greygnarl's death.  Meeting Celestria was very touching.

XI: too many to name...roughly as many as with DQ7.

9 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

“Maribel Sucks” says otherwise.

8 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

I've noticed there are a lot of Veronica fans around here. I'm among them. In the short time I saw her in that demo, I was already in love with her character. So sassy and funny. People might hate this comparison, but I still think she acts a bit like a scaled-back, younger Maribel.

Despite being a year older.  Maribel is 16, Veronica and Serena are 17.

6 minutes ago, eal said:

“Maribel Sucks” says otherwise.

No, you flat out love the character. The more you deny it and try to say otherwise the more the rest of us know you really like her.

17 minutes ago, ignasia said:

II: hearing the Alefgard music in Alefgard was a touching moment.  Actually making it to the save point in Rhone.  The first time I actually beat the NES version.

III: entering Mour village, and getting the water pistol (Ortega's Helmet in the remakes), from the kid.  Finding Ortega, only to have him die in the arms of his child, not knowing that was his child, as his eyes were burned and he couldn't see (that affected me deeply).  Not being able to return home also affected me.

IV: the destruction of the hero's village at the start of Chapter 5.  The missing people of Santeem...poor Alena.  Rosa's death.

V: the end of the first trip with Bianca, and getting Sabre in the party, then saying goodbye to Bianca.  Watching Papas die.  The scene just North of Gotha, where the Hero and his wife get turned to stone.  The revival of the Hero and meeting the kids.  Finding the wife.  Getting revenge on Gemma.  Finding Martha (that one really hit home...especially the aftermath).

VI: finding the Hero's real body and the sadness of Tania at his leaving.  The background story for Terry and Milly.  Watching all the villagers die in the world of darkness, after having just gained their freedom.

VII: Greenthumb Gardens...the foolishness of one man and the condemnation of everyone else around him due to his inability to accept some personal responsibility in relation to love and instead putting his idiotic family and silly sense of honor first.  Kiefer's leaving...that was rough, though I don't see him as the main character, I felt he was a great companion...having the best friend who clearly counted on the Hero to carry out mischief, but until that moment, it seemed like he would be there through thick and thin.  Kiefer's family grief at the loss, and that his sister couldn't face reality for awhile...thinking he'd somehow magically appear.  Providence...the sacrifice of the priest.  Nottagen, the awesome Chibi, and his noble sacrifice.  Gabo's initiation into the party, with his adoption by the woodsman initially, but deciding he would carry forth and be the type of defender and devourer of evil that is innate to his heritage.   Mardra's king...the horrible event that led him down his self-defeating path.  Maribel's father's sickness, though for me, because it meant less Maribel, but also because...Fishbel is a special town, it's the first time a starting town remains just that in the series (a place to always come home to).  Several points in the Alltrade's scenario related to Nava and her brother, starting with the soul sword incident.  The priest in Vogograd, and his suffering to protect his flock.  Analise's sacrifice.  Meeting Sharkeye for the first time.  That time when the present day went dark, and I have to agree, seeing the once peaceful eden of Estard have its cherry popped and to experience fear and potential destruction was a palpable hit.  They have no way to prepare given their innocence.  Faraday's present town and castle removed of its people, without any trace after said darkness is removed. 

VIII: Seeing Alistair die.  Watching a young Angelo enter the Abbey, and Marcello's violent outburst and facial expression.  The moment the princess could speak to her not-so-secret crush.  The whole King Pavan scenario.  Watching Abbot Francisco die, given what a good man he was.  The death of David...I'm not sure why that affected me, but perhaps because of the constant torture and his ever-present good nature towards the man who was supposed to look after him.

IX: Coffinwell, watching Catharrina die after her husband and the party just saved the town...that was pretty hard to take.  The whole funeral procession.  The moment in Wormwood with the flashback to the young female ghost and the long-since thought dead Celestrian who turns out to be the bad-guy.  The trigger point for his anger and madness in wrongfully thinking she betrayed him.  Greygnarl's death.  Meeting Celestria was very touching.

XI: too many to name...roughly as many as with DQ7.

Great list! Agreed on everything!

15 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Despite being a year older.  Maribel is 16, Veronica and Serena are 17.

Yeah, I only played the demo once and keep forgetting she's a teenager trapped in a child's body. :) 

18 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

No, you flat out love the character. The more you deny it and try to say otherwise the more the rest of us know you really like her.

I hate every line, angle, point, and degree of her design. Her dialogue is so vile the only voice actor who could do it justice is the woman who did the voice of possessed Reagan in The Exorcist.

8 minutes ago, eal said:

I hate every line, angle, point, and degree of her design. Her dialogue is so vile the only voice actor who could do it justice is the woman who did the voice of possessed Reagan in The Exorcist.

Translation: It’s not like I like Maribel or anything! B-Baka!

• Like 2
The little girl? Didn't that girl die?
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
3 hours ago, eal said:

Reagan lives at the end. Spoiler alert for a 40-year-old movie.

The only thing that ever made me feel sad in a DQ game is when Ashe or whatever is her English name visits Gran Estard's castle for the first time, and her party chat all around the place.

Her feeling the memories of her ancestor, Kieffer's sister recognizing her brother in her and the king feeling his son's presence in her too. 

And the whole King/Kieffer relationship too. From a king who lost the love of his life and dedicated to his family, while his son only wanted to go out in the (small) world and explore. And in the end, when the king was finally going to tell his son he was fine with his life as a "wanderer", he sees that Kieffer is not here anymore. That was really heartbreaking for me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 9/20/2019 at 4:50 PM, Plattym3 said:
On 9/20/2019 at 4:01 PM, eal said:

Nah, she didn't die. We ALL died a little inside when watching Exorcist II: Heretic, though.

On 9/20/2019 at 11:09 PM, GrandAlchemist said:

Eri and Zebbot in the present in 7 has always tugged at ye olde hearstring.

Me, too. As a married man, I can't even imagine suffering that loss.

The ending of that entire plotline seals the deal. Heartbreaking.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Xiggy said:

The only thing that ever made me feel sad in a DQ game is when Ashe or whatever is her English name visits Gran Estard's castle for the first time, and her party chat all around the place.

Her feeling the memories of her ancestor, Kieffer's sister recognizing her brother in her and the king feeling his son's presence in her too. 

And the whole King/Kieffer relationship too. From a king who lost the love of his life and dedicated to his family, while his son only wanted to go out in the (small) world and explore. And in the end, when the king was finally going to tell his son he was fine with his life as a "wanderer", he sees that Kieffer is not here anymore. That was really heartbreaking for me. 

Agreed. I appreciated how the 3DS version added a little extra to that. Not only do you see the king and daughter move on but they seemed quite happy with Aira. Aira also seemed happy with them and finally found a family in them.

The final "goodbye" with Kiefer in the 3DS version really helped things as well. Like with IV's remake, VII remake added some happiness to a few dire situations.

13 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I meant the actress, but no not her either.  There were others...

http://www.the13thfloor.tv/2015/12/02/is-the-exorcist-movie-cursed/

Father Marin and Damian were casualties...until Damian popped back up in III. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, eal said:

There’s also a rather gauche rumor that Poltergeist is cursed.

Off topic from Dragon Quest, but I've personally witnessed what I believe to be some mild poltergeist activity before in my childhood home. I've seen lamp shades swing freely in rooms with no fans and all shut windows. In my second home when I was a teenager I woke up one night and saw a strange object sitting on my window sill. I turned the lights on and stared in awe of what it was: the grating from an AC vent in the floor. 

To this day I can't figure out how they vent wound up on my window sill. It was geometrically impossible with the way my bed was overlapping it while my window sill stuck far enough out as to overlap the vent as well.

At first I thought "Maybe my sisters pranked me or something" but I knew that couldn't have been because 1: WHY would anyone think to prank someone like THAT and 2: I locked my bedroom door every night when I slept.

Nowadays, at 35 years old I STILL remember that incident, don't know how the hell it happened and often wonder if it really was some sort of spirit. I know my family claimed to see a floating human figure in that same house at one point.

I'm someone who's usually skeptical about ghosts and think most ghost stories are fabricated, but...that house spooked me.