BlueMana

DQX Switch VPN Question

Hello, thanks in advance for reading this. So I downloaded DQX a few months ago in the eShop sale and played the game briefly using the VPN IPVanish. Have been busy over the last few months so not a lot of time for gaming but I reinstalled DQX yesterday (after a painful 12.1gb update on my 4G network) and tried to play but even with my Switch region set to Japan and IPVanish connected to a Tokyo server, I keep getting the dreaded error 100-106 (Outside Japan Login). I also tried U.S servers as I read that the U.S is now permitted to play but still getting error 100-106. My subscription has run out but from what I remember I am promoted to buy service when the game eventually connects? Any advice to get back online with the game or a good 101 tutorial would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

You might try using SoftEther and see if you still have the same problem using that service.  Make sure you really are connected to the VPN.

I needed to have my Switch connect to a PC that was sharing the connection for it to work.  Other players had a phone act as a hot spot and had their switch connect to the VPN signal as a hot spot.

If you're getting the error your Switch probably is not seeing the VPN.

• Like 1

can u plz tell me what vpn u using ? cuz i used vpn but it didnt work for me .. do i need change something in switch internet setting? i just bought the game today and really want to play it .. do u have discord or twitter i can text you better? really want play with u i saw your videos in youtube ♥

How are you attempting to connect your Switch to the VPN?  Are you using a network cable to a PC or are you trying to connect it to a wireless signal? 

wireless connection from my pc hotspot , i tried using my phone as hotspot while using vpn but i got same problem.. do i need change anything in my switch network setting ?

I play on switch with a VPN. Both softEther and ProtonVPN work fine. I find ProtonVPN to be more stable, and I use a US IP to reduce latency (US IPs are whitelisted, and I'm from Canada). You have nothing to change on your switch, just start the VPN on PC and make sure you started a Mobile/Wifi Hotspot as well. One way to check if it works is to connect your phone to your hotspot, and check your IP location there: https://whatismyipaddress.com/ (Should show Japan, or in my case US).

Feel free to PM me if you have more problems, I can help to set you up. I went through all this not too long ago :)

spacer.png

Edited by HyDEKI

Give HyDEKI's suggestion a try.

I set up my VPN differently through a cabled connection, I never used the hotspot method. 

Thanks very much for the replies, I am currently living in Thailand and just moved into a new place, until I know if I’m going to stay I am using mobile Internet (very fast 4G), not ready to commit to fibre here (just) yet. My iPhone is my access point and I have the IPVanish app installed, it worked fine with DQX for me previously, just not working now since I reinstalled the game. Are there any settings in the Switch’s network settings I need to be aware of? I am usually in the Europe region but I assume I did the right thing changing the Switch region setting to Japan? I will also try the other VPNs you suggested in case IPVanish has just stagnated. 👍🏻😊

been trying everything i know but no use , i feel i might be missing something < will be thankfull if someone help me throw discord server > add me plz ( MermaidEmpress#0317 )

30 minutes ago, Mermaid Empress said:

been trying everything i know but no use , i feel i might be missing something < will be thankfull if someone help me throw discord server > add me plz ( MermaidEmpress#0317 )

Please could you start a new thread if you have a problem? I don’t use discord.....

12 hours ago, BlueMana said:

Thanks very much for the replies, I am currently living in Thailand and just moved into a new place, until I know if I’m going to stay I am using mobile Internet (very fast 4G), not ready to commit to fibre here (just) yet. My iPhone is my access point and I have the IPVanish app installed, it worked fine with DQX for me previously, just not working now since I reinstalled the game. Are there any settings in the Switch’s network settings I need to be aware of? I am usually in the Europe region but I assume I did the right thing changing the Switch region setting to Japan? I will also try the other VPNs you suggested in case IPVanish has just stagnated. 👍🏻😊

So not sure what your setup was before, but I actually ran a test using a VPN app directly on my phone (ProtonVPN, or others).

This + sharing a hotspot  from your phone cannot work (at least for iPhones, but I think others are the same). The reason being hotposts on mobile bridge your connexion directly to your provider, hijacking any form of VPN. So you can endup in a situation where your phone is running a japanese IP through VPN, while sharing a Thai IP (from your provider) through hotspot.

But I figure if it worked before, you probably connected a laptop to your phone through wifi, and then ran a VPN on your laptop itself. Otherwise I'm clueless...

In any case, there is absolutely nothing to do on the switch such as switching regions (switch is region free btw) and such. Everything should be done on the "server" (your hotspot provider) side.

Edit: we should probably make a tutorial on how to setup a VPN and a hotspot for console players, and pin it somewhere in this forum.

Edited by HyDEKI

On 9/21/2019 at 12:36 AM, HyDEKI said:

So not sure what your setup was before, but I actually ran a test using a VPN app directly on my phone (ProtonVPN, or others).

This + sharing a hotspot  from your phone cannot work (at least for iPhones, but I think others are the same). The reason being hotposts on mobile bridge your connexion directly to your provider, hijacking any form of VPN. So you can endup in a situation where your phone is running a japanese IP through VPN, while sharing a Thai IP (from your provider) through hotspot.

But I figure if it worked before, you probably connected a laptop to your phone through wifi, and then ran a VPN on your laptop itself. Otherwise I'm clueless...

In any case, there is absolutely nothing to do on the switch such as switching regions (switch is region free btw) and such. Everything should be done on the "server" (your hotspot provider) side.

Edit: we should probably make a tutorial on how to setup a VPN and a hotspot for console players, and pin it somewhere in this forum.

Thanks for you reply HyDEKI, you make a very good point. Thinking back it was around a year ago that I last successfully played DQX and at the time we lived in a different house, it had WiFi but I know I didn’t use my laptop as a hotspot through the VPN, I’m absolutely sure I only used IPVanish on my iPhone. What’s changed since last year? I’m with a different mobile network provider, not sure if that’s the cause though. Thinking about it, it’s not just DQX, I can no-longer access the Japanese App Store which I had no problem with before. I haven’t had any spare time recently but will have a try with a few different VPNs just for the sake of it. 

On 9/19/2019 at 3:21 PM, HyDEKI said:

I play on switch with a VPN. Both softEther and ProtonVPN work fine. I find ProtonVPN to be more stable, and I use a US IP to reduce latency (US IPs are whitelisted, and I'm from Canada). You have nothing to change on your switch, just start the VPN on PC and make sure you started a Mobile/Wifi Hotspot as well. One way to check if it works is to connect your phone to your hotspot, and check your IP location there: https://whatismyipaddress.com/ (Should show Japan, or in my case US).

Feel free to PM me if you have more problems, I can help to set you up. I went through all this not too long ago :)

spacer.png

While I'm trying to set this up for PS4 rather than Switch, I am running into issues despite the setup being the same. The PS4 won't connect through the shared Ethernet connection when using SoftEtherVPN, and the PC hotspot when using ProtonVPN is not doing me any good either. I'd appreciate any advice on the matter.

Edited by Tymek

Don't use the PS4 version.  PSN Network blocks many of the VPNs. You're really better off using a different platform.  

8 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Don't use the PS4 version.  PSN Network blocks many of the VPNs. You're really better off using a different platform.  

My intention is absolutely to go Switch in the end. However, I wanted to give the PS4 version one more try during the trial period as well. I've already managed it on PS4 before using these exact same steps, so that's why I was wondering why it wasn't working now.

With SoftEther you just have to keep trying until you find one that PSN will accept.  It won't accept most of them, but every once in a while you'll find one it will let through.

• Like 1