Stuner50

Let's talk about Dragon Quest XII

11 hours ago, eal said:

Because it would be a natural fit on the Switch.

Sure of course, but why do you think its sure to happen? I feel like Square has been sleeping on this obvious release for years.

57 minutes ago, muddy120 said:

Sure of course, but why do you think its sure to happen? I feel like Square has been sleeping on this obvious release for years.

8 has been done & redone. I don't find it obvious at all.

DQ9 on Switch is the obvious one. It's the only game never to get a remake. Hell, we already have an upgraded XI!

6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

DQ9 on Switch is the obvious one. It's the only game never to get a remake. Hell, we already have an upgraded XI!

Yeah, IX is the most likely next main series game that will get a remake. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is one on Switch within the next few years.

51 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I believe XI is happening at some point. In fact, there are rumors circulating about it, isn’t there? But publishers are on a mission to port every game onto the Switch, it feels like, and the fact that it’s been remade in the recent past gives me even more confidence. They felt it was right for 3DS so Switch is the natural place to remake it.

1 hour ago, eal said:

I believe XI is happening at some point. In fact, there are rumors circulating about it, isn’t there? But publishers are on a mission to port every game onto the Switch, it feels like, and the fact that it’s been remade in the recent past gives me even more confidence. They felt it was right for 3DS so Switch is the natural place to remake it.

I think you meant IX, haha and yeah I know we already got VIII! on the 3DS which prob disappointed alot of people I meant since an obvious HD release of the game with the orchestrated soundtrack for the west is what people truly wanted, that's what was obvious request for the fans. But of course I'm fully aware of the DQ IX hype train, people love that game. I still need to get around to playing it or LP to see the hype for the game, because its not a traditional DQ is what turns me off from it but people keep saying good things about it so I'll keep an open mind.

30 minutes ago, muddy120 said:

I think you meant IX, haha and yeah I know we already got VIII! on the 3DS which prob disappointed alot of people I meant since an obvious HD release of the game with the orchestrated soundtrack for the west is what people truly wanted, that's what was obvious request for the fans. But of course I'm fully aware of the DQ IX hype train, people love that game. I still need to get around to playing it or LP to see the hype for the game, because its not a traditional DQ is what turns me off from it but people keep saying good things about it so I'll keep an open mind.

Clearly someone didn’t get the joke in eal’s post.

Layers upon layers, my jokes.

26 minutes ago, eal said:

Well, you are very ogre-ish.

8 hours ago, eal said:

Oh it was like those II jokes! Dang, you got me, you succeeded in fooling someone, congrats, haha.

On 9/22/2019 at 5:04 AM, muddy120 said:

Oh it was like those II jokes! Dang, you got me, you succeeded in fooling someone, congrats, haha.

That's our Eal, slippery as the real deal of a different spelling.  You never know what cracks he'll slide in and out of next, what layers of dirt he'll toss around to hide himself while he strikes with verbal quips.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ignasia said:

That's our Eal, slippery as the real deal of a different spelling.  You never know what cracks he'll slide in and out of next, what layers of dirt he'll toss around to hide himself while he strikes with verbal quips.

Different spelling? You can’t spell “real OR “deal” without “eal”!

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

I'd like for XII to be another prequel to the Zenithia series. I love IV and V but always felt that VI closed the Zenithian trilogy with a whimper rather than a bang. I mean--I still enjoy VI, but it was a pitiful way to end that trilogy, in my opinion. Such overly-complicated plotline that surprisingly (given all its dialogue and exposition) left me feeling almost nothing for any of the characters. I was shocked because that game is exposition/dialogue-heavy much like VII but lacked all the heart and character development.

I actually found the dream storyline execution to be rather irritating. They put so much thought into the premise that they actually over-complicated it...again, in my opinion. All that dialogue. All that exposition. All those real/dream versions of the characters and yet...it's one of the view Dragon Quest games where I just didn't give a damn about the cast.

I feel the Zenithian series could stand to have a better prequel of some sort...or perhaps an inter-quel that takes place between VI and IV and explains the origins of Saro, the Hero, the story of the woodcutter and Zenithian, etc.

I'd love a Space-centered DQ. There has been a few games that talk about space travel (mainly HoshiDora and Joker 3), and one of these games still kept its medieval tone. 

Having the possibility to explore multiple worlds (maybe smaller than the previous to gain some space), moons and other things while battling monsters, demons and other aliens (since some monsters are already said to come or to live in the stars) with a sword and shield and magic... That'd be dope. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Xiggy said:

I'd love a Space-centered DQ. There has been a few games that talk about space travel (mainly HoshiDora and Joker 3), and one of these games still kept its medieval tone. 

Having the possibility to explore multiple worlds (maybe smaller than the previous to gain some space), moons and other things while battling monsters, demons and other aliens (since some monsters are already said to come or to live in the stars) with a sword and shield and magic... That'd be dope. 

I'm all for more worlds in Dragon Quest games and wouldn't mind a medieval space setting. :)

Hell--they already DID that to an extent in Dragon Quest VII 3D remake with several space scenes. I'd love more of that. :) 

You guys have all heard me talk endlessly about wanting more worlds in Dragon Quest games and not just that "dungeon in another dimension" stuff they've been doing since VII but full on overworld maps and everything.

Perhaps the game could consist of several small overworld maps of other planets. Each planet could have a special theme. Hell--I wouldn't mind seeing the "cube town" type levels from VII return as well. :) 

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

I'd like for XII to be another prequel to the Zenithia series. I love IV and V but always felt that VI closed the Zenithian trilogy with a whimper rather than a bang. I mean--I still enjoy VI, but it was a pitiful way to end that trilogy, in my opinion. Such overly-complicated plotline that surprisingly (given all its dialogue and exposition) left me feeling almost nothing for any of the characters. I was shocked because that game is exposition/dialogue-heavy much like VII but lacked all the heart and character development.

I actually found the dream storyline execution to be rather irritating. They put so much thought into the premise that they actually over-complicated it...again, in my opinion. All that dialogue. All that exposition. All those real/dream versions of the characters and yet...it's one of the view Dragon Quest games where I just didn't give a damn about the cast.

I feel the Zenithian series could stand to have a better prequel of some sort...or perhaps an inter-quel that takes place between VI and IV and explains the origins of Saro, the Hero, the story of the woodcutter and Zenithian, etc.

The more I think about VI the less I like it. The 2 world structure and story is confusing, I never really know where to go or even which world I should be in. I was always confused as to where I even was. I didn't really like any of the characters besides Milly and Carver and the rest of them felt useless. The only thing I liked was the vocation system and how I kept all of the skills I gained while working up levels.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

The more I think about VI the less I like it. The 2 world structure and story is confusing, I never really know where to go or even which world I should be in. I was always confused as to where I even was. I didn't really like any of the characters besides Milly and Carver and the rest of them felt useless. The only thing I liked was the vocation system and how I kept all of the skills I gained while working up levels.

I've seen a lot of people refer to VI as a prototype for VII and I have to agree--VII succeeds in every area VI fails in. EVERY area I can think of.

I DID enjoy the Dread Realm, though.

I did NOT enjoy the undersea portions. It's FAR too complicated. The undersea portion is practically another undersea world in and of itself and it's simply too massive. I never would have beaten VI without a guide. It's the only Dragon Quest game I simply canNOT get through without a guide.

VI was tedious to play through, plain and simple.

I agree with you on the vocation system--it's the one true shining point of the game. I also actually enjoy the boss music quite a bit.

Another thing I hate about VI is how convoluted the dream world/Zenithia angle is. I THOUGHT the ending was implying that Zenithia was the last vestige of the dream world that remained as the rest of the world faded away; however, it seems that some say it is and others say it isn't. I don't know who/what to believe. I mean--Zenithia is planted on the ground in the dream world. It flies away as the rest of the dream world fades away. Ashlynn winds up there after disappearing from the real world. I mean--that, to me, seems rather cut and dry that Zenithia is a chunk/last surviving portion of the dream world but some people claim that's false and that the creators intended a different answer.

That's what I hate about VI. It's muddled in EVERY bit of its execution.

About Zenithia in VI, I always thought that it existed in the real world too, but was utterly destroyed at some point, kinda like the place Ashlyn comes from. 

Zenithia would then, by coming back to the real world, regain its place in the world of the living or something. I mainly think so because I believe the Japanese name is "Phantom World" instead of dream world, which would make more sense to me, given the fact that you see lots of people who are dead in the real world in the other one. Like Ashlyn's village, or the boy who gives the party the flying carpet. 

Or maybe it's some kind of mix between a fantom world and a dream world? I don't see why Mortamor would have created Zenithia in a world he made up. 

Damn, everyone sure likes to #$*! on DQVI more and more lately. I think Platty must be multiplying.

Damn, everyone sure likes to #$*! on DQVI more and more lately. I think Platty must be multiplying.
c5a4e66a3c51f0e8b94273aebceaccbe.gif