Jump to content
Stuner50

Let's talk about Dragon Quest XII

Recommended Posts

We'll likely see a trailer of XII in late 2020 and the game will release somewhere between 2021 and 2022 (in japan).

 Horii's words in the interviews about the subject, XII will likely follow a similar path to XI and it will have something to do about "wishes come true".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly doubt we will get a trailer in 2020. Dragon Quest XI started development in 2013 and didn't release until 2017. It was reported in July that SE just started the prep work for XII. I say it would be safe to bet that we will get a trailer by mid 2022. Next  year? I highly doubt that.

Edited by Twinkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ this.

At max, next year I bet we get an 8 hour live stream with a dancing Slime mascot guy and a famous voice actress interviewing Horii with a reveal at the end with a logo and title and maybe some concept art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Release timing depends on a few things:

1) Asset reuse - most DQ releases use the same game engines, but rebuild from scratch.  It's why they take so long.  It's really the remakes that tend to rehash assets given how Arte Piazza handles them, and the timing of their releases (at least if THEY are remaking a game).  The spinoffs also seem to rehash assets, thus the timing of DQH2 and DQB2 compared to their original versions.  If they tracked to mainline, they would have taken another year or more.

2) Epic's Engine reuse or a new engine based on a new development house.  Maybe they bring in Level-5 and Level-5 wants to reuse the engine they built for 8 and 9, and tweak it, due to lack of experience with UE4, thus adding extra time building new tools and retooling for higher grade graphics.

---

If they reuse UE4 for Switch + PS5, or just stick to a single console, and reuse assets from 11 to build off of, production will speed up substantially.  It's not the standard though, so likely 2021 we'll see first pictures in Japan.  2022, the first video release, and maybe a late 2022, or early 2023 release.  Though if they reuse assets to build off of, to cut down costs and reduce production time (they might given SE is handling development inhouse now, and bringing in other groups to help with development), we could see some video at TGS 2020 and a late 2021 release.  Though Horii is known to delay games (he just doesn't shout it out to the world anymore given what happened with Enix's stock dropping 30% by delaying DQ7 another year), for perfection reasons, story changes, etc.  So early 2022 is still more likely.

===

I do expect to see something DQ unveiled very early next year, and teased again in October/November/December.  Either a remake (9 or a new remake for 1 to move along to 3...or skipping 1+2 and doing just a remake of 3 again), Heroes 3, which has already been teased a year back, and no word.  Or the new Action DQ RPG that SE is hiring for, is a new spinoff series...something I personally hope is true.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know anything past 2023 seems exagerated to me, they can reuse assets from 11 also 11 had 3 versions to be made, so there's no much reason of why the devolopemnt of 12 would take longer than 11 like @Twinkie is suggesting , since it will likely just be a Switch/PS5 version.

mid 2022 is my bet for a relase date, there's no much reason of why they wouldn't reuse DQ11 engine to speed up the devolopment of the game, creating a new engine just seems pointless when XI's is fine.

@ignasia well i don't think it we will get a remake since Horii said he won't remake DQ3 after DQ12, Heroes 3 might be in hiatus as much as i like it it's weird how the devoloper hinted at Heroes 3 in 2016 but it has been 3 years and it has been dead silence, maybe they're waiting for DQ12 to relase so they have a new batch of party members to choose from or they just want to take a long break for whateve reason.

I don't thinkt he new action RPG spin-off is a new one, it's likely Heroes 3 if that rumour is true.

Edited by Stuner50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where and when did Horii ever state there would be no DQ3 remake after 12?

You mean this interview, where several people are on stage, including Akahiro Hino, the president of Level-5 and the director of DQ9?

https://gematsu.com/2019/07/dragon-quest-ix-staff-discuss-possibility-of-remake-during-10th-anniversary-live-stream

I can't find a single interview where Horii explicitly states what you just said.  Do you have a link or anything?

Did you mean this:

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/06/03/square-enix-is-currently-making-preparations-for-dragon-quest-xii/

Nothing there says no DQ3 at all after DQ12, though this is Yu Miyaki, not Horii.

Edited by ignasia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'll go ahead and jump on the bandwagon with the opinion that there won't be a trailer next year. Cover art? Maybe. Maybe even some scans from articles or things like that. 

But, since there is a bit of a side discussion, I agree that we will see something either coming out or advertised in some way. You know what would be cool? If they released a couple, "Collections-Remastered" type things. Like maybe 1, 2, and 3 and then another release of 4, 5, and 6. We pretty recently got VII and VIII on the 3DS, but admittedly I would buy them again for the switch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything we’ll see the character art for the hero and MAYBE some screenshots. Like what we saw with Dragon Quest XI when that was on the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Yeah, I'll go ahead and jump on the bandwagon with the opinion that there won't be a trailer next year. Cover art? Maybe. Maybe even some scans from articles or things like that. 

But, since there is a bit of a side discussion, I agree that we will see something either coming out or advertised in some way. You know what would be cool? If they released a couple, "Collections-Remastered" type things. Like maybe 1, 2, and 3 and then another release of 4, 5, and 6. We pretty recently got VII and VIII on the 3DS, but admittedly I would buy them again for the switch. 

90% sure that a Dragon Quest VIII HD with all the features from the 3DS version will be announced next year.

I’m also fairly confident that Dragon Quest IV-VI for Switch in the same format as the trilogy that’s coming next week will happen next year too.

Don’t think we’ll get full remasters however.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eal said:

90% sure that a Dragon Quest VIII HD with all the features from the 3DS version will be announced next year.

I’m also fairly confident that Dragon Quest IV-VI for Switch in the same format as the trilogy that’s coming next week will happen next year too.

Don’t think we’ll get full remasters however.

I definitely see the Zenithian trilogy happening.  Maybe DQ8 if DQ7 gets a port to the Switch with a slight HD upgrade.  The script is already complete anyway.  I can definitely see both for sure at some point, and the Switch having all DQ releases on it (including the eventual 12).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we get X over here before all the others? Please, Square Enix? Pretty please? Pretty please with a Slime on top?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’ll release the Wii U version only and then a year or two later give us the Switch version with more features to make the Wii U version outdated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Stuner50 said:

We'll likely see a trailer of XII in late 2020 and the game will release somewhere between 2021 and 2022 (in japan).

 Horii's words in the interviews about the subject, XII will likely follow a similar path to XI and it will have something to do about "wishes come true".

 

Oh #$*!, it's a Disney collaboration!? Kingdom Quest!

I'm going to make Mickey a #$*!ing jester class. I'm sick of his smug "I'm the hero" bit. Long live Donald!

21 hours ago, Stuner50 said:

We'll likely see a trailer of XII in late 2020 and the game will release somewhere between 2021 and 2022 (in japan).

Maybe, but we won't see DQXII until after they remake DQIX for Switch.

That I guarantee. Bet you half my gold, I'll die if I'm wrong.

Edited by Plattym3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

Oh #$*!, it's a Disney collaboration!? Kingdom Quest!

I'm going to make Mickey a #$*!ing jester class. I'm sick of his smug "I'm the hero" bit. Long live Donald!

I plan to make Goofy the most overpowered character. No longer will people laugh at him; he’ll be the one laughing on the battlefield as he slaughters his enemies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I plan to make Goofy the most overpowered character. No longer will people laugh at him; he’ll be the one laughing on the battlefield as he slaughters his enemies!
Donald will be backing him up screaming, "You go, Dawg, you go!"

Goofy is definitely a Gabo-esque character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Donald will be backing him up screaming, "You go, Dawg, you go!"

Goofy is definitely a Gabo-esque character.

Wouldn’t that make Donald a Maribel-esque character? 😜

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wouldn’t that make Donald a Maribel-esque character?
e59533c8d3e2751378e55299332e6cca.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

e59533c8d3e2751378e55299332e6cca.jpg

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I'm going to make Mickey a #$*!ing jester class. I'm sick of his smug "I'm the hero" bit. Long live Donald!

Now THIS is something I can get behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, eal said:

90% sure that a Dragon Quest VIII HD with all the features from the 3DS version will be announced next year.

I’m also fairly confident that Dragon Quest IV-VI for Switch in the same format as the trilogy that’s coming next week will happen next year too.

Don’t think we’ll get full remasters however.

I'll buy em all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I was right.
And DQXII has a retro 16-bit mode like 11 does! 263c405630c28b21b716b73d2d0b5767.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Looks like I was right.
And DQXII has a retro 16-bit mode like 11 does! 263c405630c28b21b716b73d2d0b5767.jpg

Crazy Commie Commander Duck Donald, and his legendary chainsaw he stole from Edgar behind the scenes, and his cohort, Maniacal Mickey with his Mousekateer Kiddie Culling Cutlasses!

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Looks like I was right.
And DQXII has a retro 16-bit mode like 11 does! 263c405630c28b21b716b73d2d0b5767.jpg

Wait...is that a mod for Shin Megami Tensei? Because that looks like a modded version of SMT1 for the Super Famicom.

Either that or Atlus was able to strike a deal with Disney back in the day for demon versions of Mickey and Donald! 😜

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 4:30 PM, Stuner50 said:

I don't know anything past 2023 seems exagerated to me, they can reuse assets from 11 also 11 had 3 versions to be made, so there's no much reason of why the devolopemnt of 12 would take longer than 11 like @Twinkie is suggesting , since it will likely just be a Switch/PS5 version.

mid 2022 is my bet for a relase date, there's no much reason of why they wouldn't reuse DQ11 engine to speed up the devolopment of the game, creating a new engine just seems pointless when XI's is fine.

@ignasia well i don't think it we will get a remake since Horii said he won't remake DQ3 after DQ12, Heroes 3 might be in hiatus as much as i like it it's weird how the devoloper hinted at Heroes 3 in 2016 but it has been 3 years and it has been dead silence, maybe they're waiting for DQ12 to relase so they have a new batch of party members to choose from or they just want to take a long break for whateve reason.

I don't thinkt he new action RPG spin-off is a new one, it's likely Heroes 3 if that rumour is true.

I thought he said they won't remake DQ III before DQ XII, the flood gates for a remake is open after DQ XII is done, finished and released.

On 9/17/2019 at 10:19 PM, eal said:

90% sure that a Dragon Quest VIII HD with all the features from the 3DS version will be announced next year.

I’m also fairly confident that Dragon Quest IV-VI for Switch in the same format as the trilogy that’s coming next week will happen next year too.

Don’t think we’ll get full remasters however.

Why do you think DQ VIII HD will finally be released now? It's something fans been asking for, for years. What makes you think it'll happen for sure now or next year like you said. I'd love for it to happen and been waiting for this and wonder why they didn't do this sooner but why do you think its coming now or soon next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because it would be a natural fit on the Switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...