Dakhil

Dragon Quest Trilogy Coming to the West on 27 September 2019 for Nintendo Switch

3 hours ago, Dakhil said:

Thanks for this posting! I have agree with the other poster--these don't look too bad. For some reason, they looked far worse in other videos. Seeing them play out like this isn't as bad as I thought. The environments look great and I can't believe I'm watching DQ1 and 2 having similar graphics to 3. It literally makes it look more like the interconnected trilogy it is. Same graphics across the board, really. I like the enemy artwork as well.

I'll definitely buy all three of these but probably not for a while since I have XI arriving tomorrow from Amazon Prime. It's great that I will have 1-3 and 11 all housed on my Switch. I hope for a re-release of 4-9 on Switch and an offline version of 10 so that I can have the entire series housed under one roof.

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1177569884617748482

Grab each of the first 3 titles in the #DragonQuest series on #NintendoSwitch right here!

DRAGON QUEST

👉 https://sqex.link/dq1ns

DRAGON QUEST II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line

👉 https://sqex.link/dq2ns

DRAGON QUEST III: The Seeds of Salvation

👉 https://sqex.link/dq3ns

21 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

God Bless Yuji Horii. Him acknowledging the western fans is really nice.

• Like 3

Interesting. I heard a lot of the post game actually enhances the story substantially as well but haven't read the finer details. I think I heard someone say this game essentially has three endings.

It's a game in 3 acts, but the ending of act 1 is definitely not an end to the game, it's most definitely a mid-season cliffhanger.
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

It's a game in 3 acts, but the ending of act 1 is definitely not an end to the game, it's most definitely a mid-season cliffhanger.

Sounds great. I'm very excited. :D 

Yep that's fair to say. I feel like the post game is mandatory, which is how post game should be. 
Lol why should it be mandatory? It's like having the credits in the middle of the movie. I thought it was silly honestly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Man I loved these versions on mobile.  I bought DQ 2 yesterday and I plan on buying DQ 1 and 3 (and DQ 11S 😛) on Friday when I get paid. 

I loved the translations of the mobile versions and just what little time I played of DQ 2 (about an hour) it’s so much nicer on the Switch than on my phone.  I’m so happy that we finally have versions of DQ 1-3 on a modern console.  The enemy art style was a bit jarring at first but I got over it pretty quickly.  All the changes to the mobile version of DQ 2 (and the Switch version as a result) make DQ 2 more fun than it’s ever been. 

Even though I said I don't like these versions, that response from Horii kind of seals it the other direction.  I'll have to get used to the graphics and wonder at the sanity of people who think they look even remotely good...looking at those videos again, they look so awful, so off, so nothing like Toriyama's work (maybe that's a good thing...and I'm just not on board yet).

23 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Even though I said I don't like these versions, that response from Horii kind of seals it the other direction.  I'll have to get used to the graphics and wonder at the sanity of people who think they look even remotely good...looking at those videos again, they look so awful, so off, so nothing like Toriyama's work (maybe that's a good thing...and I'm just not on board yet).

Like I said it’s pretty jarring but it’s still fun to play.  I think the mobile versions looked better but honestly I think the best versions of DQ 1-3 are the SNES remakes.  I went ahead an bit the bullet on DQ 1 and 3 during lunch so I got them all now.  I haven’t played the original trilogy since they first came out for mobile so it will be nice to revisit them again.   At least this time they will have actual buttons lol. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Bob_the_Almighty said:

Like I said it’s pretty jarring but it’s still fun to play.  I think the mobile versions looked better but honestly I think the best versions of DQ 1-3 are the SNES remakes.  I went ahead an bit the bullet on DQ 1 and 3 during lunch so I got them all now.  I haven’t played the original trilogy since they first came out for mobile so it will be nice to revisit them again.   At least this time they will have actual buttons lol. 

Buttons AND perfected screen ratios.  DQ3 has been murder on my hands, but it's how I time watering plants (8 battles for trees, 3 for bushes).  3 MA's now at level 99 with all Sage/Dealer/Thief/Jester abilities.  3 Sages at level 99 with all other abilities.  3 Thieves with all other abilities/spells.  I might do 3 Warriors, 3 Jesters, and 3 Dealers...maybe 3 Priests and 3 Mages.  Now farming for Seeds of Life, and I dread it, but after this it's Seeds of Magic.

Edited by ignasia

I'm actually used to the sprites looking different now. Also, please get ready to flame me because I think the hand drawn enemies look good.

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I'm actually used to the sprites looking different now. Also, please get ready to flame me because I think the hand drawn enemies look good.

Nah, I agree with you on that. I don't think the redrawn monsters are bad. I would still much rather have the originals, but it could be far worse. It is just everything else that was redone that I dislike.

6 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I’m getting rather attached to how they look the more I play DQ 2.  I like the way the game looks and plays on my Switch Lite.  I don’t think I’ll ever touch the mobile versions of 1-3 again lol.  I’ll probably delete them off my phone now. 

I still like the way the NES and the SNES versions look the best (NES for nostalgia and SNES for 16bit goodness).  I installed those versions on my NES Classic and SNES Classic respectively for when I feel like a nostalgia trip but generally speaking I’ll be playing these versions mainly.  At least for DQ 2 and 3.  I don’t really like playing DQ 1 anymore but I still have a lot of fun with the sequels. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob_the_Almighty said:

I’m getting rather attached to how they look the more I play DQ 2.  I like the way the game looks and plays on my Switch Lite.  I don’t think I’ll ever touch the mobile versions of 1-3 again lol.  I’ll probably delete them off my phone now. 

Same. Seeing the SNES pixel art for areas makes me think of the mobile versions but I don't think I'll ever go back to them now that I have a portable version on Switch.

https://gematsu.com/2019/10/dragon-quest-i-ii-and-iii-collection-for-switch-launches-october-24-in-asia

Dragon-Quest-123-Collection_10-03-19.jpg

The physical collection including Dragon QuestDragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line, and Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation for Switch will launch on October 24 in Southeast Asia, Square Enix announced. It supports English, Traditional Chinese, and Korean language options.

Pre-orders are currently available at Play-Asia for $39.99. Use the coupon code "GEMATSU" to save five percent.

Here is an overview of the titles, via Square Enix:

Dragon Quest

The peace of fair Alefgard has been shattered by the appearance of the nefarious master of the night known as the Dragonlord, and the Sphere of Light, which for so long kept the forces of darkness in check, has been stolen! It is time for you, a young warrior through whose veins flows the blood of the legendary hero Erdrick, to set out on a quest to vanquish the Dragonlord, and save the land from darkness!
Experience the first episode of the DRAGON QUEST series loved by millions in Japan and worldwide! Created by a legendary trio with the master creator Yuji Horii, the revolutionary synthesizer score and orchestration by Koichi Sugiyama, and art by master manga artist Akira Toriyama.

Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line

A century has passed since the events of the first DRAGON QUEST, during which time the descendants of the hero of Alefgard have forged three new nations. But the peace they have known is no more. Demon hosts summoned forth from the darkness by High Priest Hargon have brought the land to the brink of ruin once again. Now, the young prince of Midenhall must set out to find the other two descendants of Erdrick so that together they might defeat the nefarious Hargon and restore peace to their world.

Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation

On the morning of your sixteenth birthday, you are charged with a seemingly impossible task by the King himself: to assume the mantle of your father Ortega, the hero of the land of Aliahan, and slay the Archfiend Baramos, master of darkness! What trials await you, intrepid hero, as you set out on a quest not even your legendary father was strong enough to complete?

I'm already used to the new style, to be honest.

I've only bought DQI on the eshop so far and I occasionally play it when I need a little break from DQXI and I must say this as someone who's played Dragon Quest I since the 80s when it was know as "Dragon Warrior": the game has never looked better than it does now. I love the DQVI engine, drawn enemies and new character models. The game looks polished.

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1181947676612538369

Following the release of the first three #DragonQuest games on #NintendoSwitch, the #SquareEnix Blog takes a look at some fun facts about the series!

👉 sqex.link/d8t

EGceGJYXkAMi4hN?format=jpg&name=largeEGceGJYXYAAKaM4?format=jpg&name=largeEGceGJOW4AMKsm5?format=jpg&name=largeEGceGJXXoAA_628?format=jpg&name=large

No PC version 😭 At least there's mobile version, but I'd love to use a controller.

2 hours ago, Kakugo said:

No PC version 😭 At least there's mobile version, but I'd love to use a controller.

If you have an iPhone the new OS allows for PS4 and Xbox controllers to be synced to your phone via Bluetooth. No idea if it'll work with things other than the Apple Arcade.

I'm currently playing DQ2 on Switch and having a blast. I considered buying the physical version from PlayAsia but shipping is prohibitive. I did find a terrific physical box (no game) on Etsy. I don't want this to turn into an advertisement but if your interested in a physical representation of the game for your collection Just search etsy and something should pop up. The shop I bought from are very professional and I can't tell the difference from professional printed box art. 

68E19859-3B48-410A-BCCD-E473E82F0ADB.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElderGamer1966 said:

I'm currently playing DQ2 on Switch and having a blast. I considered buying the physical version from PlayAsia but shipping is prohibitive. I did find a terrific physical box (no game) on Etsy. I don't want this to turn into an advertisement but if your interested in a physical representation of the game for your collection Just search etsy and something should pop up. The shop I bought from are very professional and I can't tell the difference from professional printed box art. 

68E19859-3B48-410A-BCCD-E473E82F0ADB.JPG

That’s actually really cool. I may have to try and grab that.